USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg

How'd you get 79? I did it like 7 + 7 = 14
14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

So what did I do wrong? :lol:

Unless you do the multiplication and division first (isn't that a general rule?) in which case you get 50.

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

I got 56 first, then remembered the whole order of operation thing. :D
That's only when there are parentheses. Strung like that, it's 56.

Actually, it's not just with parentheses. The whole PEMDAS order of operations includes parentheses. :)

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

I would guess that your smart phone takes order of operations into account, but your pc calculator does not.

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

Unless you do the multiplication and division first (isn't that a general rule?) in which case you get 50.

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

Actually, it's not just with parentheses. The whole PEMDAS order of operations includes parentheses. :)
Uht uh. A string without parentheses is handled in order, or it was in the 50's when I learned math through the 2000's when I did math for a living.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

First, you want to perform any division and/or multiplication operations.

That is, 7/7 = 1 and 7*7 = 49 .

Then plug these answers into the original equation.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7 = 7 + 1 + 49 - 7

Then you perform the addition and/or subtraction operations.

Notice that there is a +7 and -7 in the equation, which would cancel each other out (i.e., 7 - 7 = 0). So you would be left with the following:

1 + 49 = 50

7 7 7 7x7-7 WyzAnt Resources

Perfect. :) And that might explain 007's smart phone total. But I still don't know who got the answer right on the problem.

It's just like this really old one:

Three guests check into a hotel room and each pay $10 of the $30 bill. Later the clerk realized the room charge should have been $25 so she gives the bellhop $5 to return to them. He doesn't know how to divide $5 between three people, so he gives each of them $1 and pockets the other $2.

So each of the guests paid $9 for the room, right? $9 x 3 = $27 plus the $2 the bellhop kept = $29.00. What happened to the other dollar?

snopes.com Missing Dollar Puzzle

Yes, I have seen (and explained) the solution many times. But our brains still say the $9 x 3 + $2 should also work.

Ready for 'big time'???

A farmer has 21 pigs....how can he put the 21 in four pig pens so that there are an odd number of pigs in each of the four?

Nope. No clue on that one either. Stuff like that makes my brain hurt. :)

Last edited:
London Broil kicks ass Foxy. Just marinade for about 24 hours and grill. It's awesome. :)

I've not tried it on the grill but I have pan broiled it like I do the sirloin and I agree it isn't bad. But I have a crock pot recipe for London broil that we prefer for that cut. But London Broil is usually a lot more expensive than the petite sirloin we buy too.

I can get London Broil for $4.99 a pound. It's yummy. :)

You can? We're paying almost that much for fatty hamburger here.

I've seen it from $3.99 to $7.99 a pound here in Florida. I go to a butcher shop and get it for $4.99 a pound. Ask Sherry how good it is marinated and grilled. :) Except for Filet Mignon I think the best steak there is.....that is....if you cook it properly.

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

Uht uh. A string without parentheses is handled in order, or it was in the 50's when I learned math through the 2000's when I did math for a living.

Everything I can find about it has the PEMDAS or BOMDAS order of operation being used whether there are parentheses or not. I don't know who might be an authority on when or whether to use it. :lol:

Morning !
I could not get to sleep last night, so I stayed up watching some good horror movies and then re -runs of the X-Files in the wee morning hours. :)
It's one of those warm cloudy days with no rain.

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg
:biggrin:

Good grief. Horror movies. I couldn't sleep either. I look for great old movies--mostly non violent types--with a sound track that is white noise for me and dialogue I have memorized when I can't sleep. And I usually don't last for more than a few minutes before I'm sleeping like a baby. And even though I wake up frequently, which isn't a good thing but is a fact of my life, the movie will allow me to get back to sleep. "Titanic" or "Giant" or "Cleopatra" or "Apollo 13" are all especially good for that as they are longer-than-average movies.

I love Horror movies as well as science fiction. :biggrin:
I have been watching them since I was a kid. It doesn't keep me awake because I don't usually get scared from watching them.
There was only 2 twilight zone episodes that really scared me as a kid, none of the others effected me.

Well whatever works. I just don't handle graphic violence and blood and gore that well--I know it's just a movie or TV show but I still empathize with it too much.

My favorite 'horror' movie of all time though is "The Shining" once I knew how it was going to turn out. Brilliant in concept and execution.

I do like a lot of the science fiction though, unless it too includes unnecessary gratuitous violence, blood and gore in the special effects. I am a dedicated "Trekkie". And one of my favorite all time sci-fi movies is "Starman" but also loved the original "War of the Worlds" and similar type movies. A lot of the disaster movies I love are more sci-fi than natural disaster.

I like the Ghost story haunting ones the most.

Some I like. "Ghost" is in my movie library and I rate it 5 stars. "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott is one of my favorite Christmas movies. And if there isn't anything more compelling on TV, I sometimes watch the ghost hunter kind of shows, but I'll have to admit I feel they really stretch sometimes to make stuff into a ghostly presence. In other words I don't necessarily pooh pooh it all, but there is an element of skepticism there.

But my favorite disaster movies are those that have great character development, great acting, and great story lines. I love "Dante's Peak" and "St. Helens" and "The Day the Dam Broke". The cross-overs into sci-fi include "Armageddon" and a number of others that involve fixing the moon hit by flying objects, re-positioning the Earth hit by a piece of comet, etc. "Day of Disaster" involves a super storm coupled with a computer hacker messing with the power grid--actually a former TV series edited into a movie, but quite good. There are a bunch of those types of movies that are just awful too.

Morning !
I could not get to sleep last night, so I stayed up watching some good horror movies and then re -runs of the X-Files in the wee morning hours. :)

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

Good grief. Horror movies. I couldn't sleep either. I look for great old movies--mostly non violent types--with a sound track that is white noise for me and dialogue I have memorized when I can't sleep. And I usually don't last for more than a few minutes before I'm sleeping like a baby. And even though I wake up frequently, which isn't a good thing but is a fact of my life, the movie will allow me to get back to sleep. "Titanic" or "Giant" or "Cleopatra" or "Apollo 13" are all especially good for that as they are longer-than-average movies.

I have been watching them since I was a kid. It doesn't keep me awake because I don't usually get scared from watching them.
There was only 2 twilight zone episodes that really scared me as a kid, none of the others effected me.

Well whatever works. I just don't handle graphic violence and blood and gore that well--I know it's just a movie or TV show but I still empathize with it too much.

My favorite 'horror' movie of all time though is "The Shining" once I knew how it was going to turn out. Brilliant in concept and execution.

I do like a lot of the science fiction though, unless it too includes unnecessary gratuitous violence, blood and gore in the special effects. I am a dedicated "Trekkie". And one of my favorite all time sci-fi movies is "Starman" but also loved the original "War of the Worlds" and similar type movies. A lot of the disaster movies I love are more sci-fi than natural disaster.

Some I like. "Ghost" is in my movie library and I rate it 5 stars. "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott is one of my favorite Christmas movies. And if there isn't anything more compelling on TV, I sometimes watch the ghost hunter kind of shows, but I'll have to admit I feel they really stretch sometimes to make stuff into a ghostly presence. In other words I don't necessarily pooh pooh it all, but there is an element of skepticism there.

But my favorite disaster movies are those that have great character development, great acting, and great story lines. I love "Dante's Peak" and "St. Helens" and "The Day the Dam Broke". The cross-overs into sci-fi include "Armageddon" and a number of others that involve fixing the moon hit by flying objects, re-positioning the Earth hit by a piece of comet, etc. "Day of Disaster" involves a super storm coupled with a computer hacker messing with the power grid--actually a former TV series edited into a movie, but quite good. There are a bunch of those types of movies that are just awful too.

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)

Morning !

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

I love "Ghost" I saw it on my son's 17th birthday 3 months after his death. He had been a intern/DJ at the local FM station and from time to time played a record or 2 for me.
Anyhow, after the movie, the current)wife (we had been dating a couple weeks) and I were sitting in the car waiting to get out of the lot. We were relating the movie to my son. We turned on the radio and "Unchained Melody" came on... Spooky.

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)

If I remember correctly, Dante's Peak was part of a rush of disaster type movies. There was another volcano movie that came out at almost the same time I think, although the other one was much worse; there's a particular scene of a man sinking into lava in subway tunnels that I remember finding hilarious.

I like PIerce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton well enough. They've both been in movies I enjoyed. I just remember Dante's Peak seeming to be just another in an almost unending trail of disaster movies at the time.

Armageddon certainly was more action/comedy.

And I don't in any way begrudge you enjoying disaster movies. I just don't think most tend to be particularly well acted or written. Those aren't necessary for an enjoyable movie, though; hell, I can watch Flash Gordon still and love it, despite it being horribly written and acted. Or The Last Dragon....there's another cheesy, badly written, poorly acted movie that I still for some reason love. :lol:

If I remember correctly, Dante's Peak was part of a rush of disaster type movies. There was another volcano movie that came out at almost the same time I think, although the other one was much worse; there's a particular scene of a man sinking into lava in subway tunnels that I remember finding hilarious.

I like PIerce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton well enough. They've both been in movies I enjoyed. I just remember Dante's Peak seeming to be just another in an almost unending trail of disaster movies at the time.

Armageddon certainly was more action/comedy.

And I don't in any way begrudge you enjoying disaster movies. I just don't think most tend to be particularly well acted or written. Those aren't necessary for an enjoyable movie, though; hell, I can watch Flash Gordon still and love it, despite it being horribly written and acted. Or The Last Dragon....there's another cheesy, badly written, poorly acted movie that I still for some reason love. :lol:
I like some campy movies, Flash Gordon was one, Starship Troopers, Tremors, Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates are few other great campy movies. :thup:

Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

What was that I.D. whatever factor you were explaining the other day? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

I've had my share of math too. To get my degree in Electrical Engineering we took some heavy duty math... algebra, trigonometry, calculus, quadratics and tech math that was a mad combination of all... and I liked it. Got straight A's.

Don'tcha hate when a song gets stuck in your head........

I actually do like Meghan Trainor, but I don't think that song will get stuck in my head. :) Blake Shelton drafted her to be his co-coach on The Voice this season and that still strikes me as odd--their style and genre is absolutely nothing alike and Blake has mostly country and blues singers on his team this season. But oh well. The singers seem to be enjoying having her there.

Forum List

Back