USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg
54 ETA: damned fingers meant 56
It's 50, whether using parentheses or not.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

First, you want to perform any division and/or multiplication operations.

That is, 7/7 = 1 and 7*7 = 49 .

Then plug these answers into the original equation.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7 = 7 + 1 + 49 - 7

Then you perform the addition and/or subtraction operations.

Notice that there is a +7 and -7 in the equation, which would cancel each other out (i.e., 7 - 7 = 0). So you would be left with the following:

1 + 49 = 50

7 7 7 7x7-7 WyzAnt Resources

Perfect. :) And that might explain 007's smart phone total. But I still don't know who got the answer right on the problem.

It's just like this really old one:

Three guests check into a hotel room and each pay $10 of the $30 bill. Later the clerk realized the room charge should have been $25 so she gives the bellhop $5 to return to them. He doesn't know how to divide $5 between three people, so he gives each of them $1 and pockets the other $2.

So each of the guests paid $9 for the room, right? $9 x 3 = $27 plus the $2 the bellhop kept = $29.00. What happened to the other dollar?

Last edited:
There was a rum I liked while boating, in the 90's and I think I recall it being named Captain, something or the other. It was so delish!

That would be Captain Morgan, but if you like rum, this is one of the finest. It's won many gold medals at international wine and spirit competitions.

View attachment 37754
You wouldn't be just a tad biased, eh Marine?

:D

:nono: A tad maybe, but having sampled many rums, I can assure you Pussers is one of the smoothest dark rums you'll find. Nelson's blood we call it. :cheers2:

There was a rum I liked while boating, in the 90's and I think I recall it being named Captain, something or the other. It was so delish!

That would be Captain Morgan, but if you like rum, this is one of the finest. It's won many gold medals at international wine and spirit competitions.

View attachment 37754
You wouldn't be just a tad biased, eh Marine?

:D

:nono: A tad maybe, but having sampled many rums, I can assure you Pussers is one of the smoothest dark rums you'll find. Nelson's blood we call it. :cheers2:
I've known quite a few rum drinkers before and yes they mostly claim Prussers is the best. I was a whiskey drinker back before I quit drinking so I have no opinion on rums. :dunno:

Morning !
I could not get to sleep last night, so I stayed up watching some good horror movies and then re -runs of the X-Files in the wee morning hours. :)
It's one of those warm cloudy days with no rain.

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg
:biggrin:

Many more that will occur, of course. :) I was saving the good stuff for you . . . steak! Lol.
I prefer tenderloin/filet mignon but find ribeye's acceptable also.

Porterhouse would be good. :D You can bring the wine!
Still looking for the filet or ribeye, paired with a Burley Cabernet Sauvignon.
It's a big cab made for people that love red wine.

That's why Porterhouse would be perfect. You can have the filet and I'll have the sirloin. :wink_2: Lol.

I want a T-bone, medium rare. Porterhouse, delicious but way too much fat content. I do love a filet, bacon-wrapped. :thup: Oh my.....:D
IOf you love bacon wrapped fillet, try a whole head, injected with bacon drippings, completely wrapped in more bacon and smoked with pecan and apple wood for 4 hours before finishing to medium rare in the oven. To die for, but there must be enough bacon fat in there to kill 6 horses.

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

Notice that there is a +7 and -7 in the equation, which would cancel each other out (i.e., 7 - 7 = 0). So you would be left with the following:

1 + 49 = 50

Perfect. :) And that might explain 007's smart phone total. But I still don't know who got the answer right on the problem.

Three guests check into a hotel room and each pay $10 of the $30 bill. Later the clerk realized the room charge should have been $25 so she gives the bellhop $5 to return to them. He doesn't know how to divide $5 between three people, so he gives each of them $1 and pockets the other $2.

So each of the guests paid $9 for the room, right? $9 x 3 = $27 plus the $2 the bellhop kept = $29.00. What happened to the other dollar?

Oh....yeah?????

A man wants to divide his 17 horses among his three sons. According to his will the oldest man should get half of the horses,the middle son should get one third of the horses and the youngest son should get one ninth of the horses.
When there father dies they were not able to divide the horses as the result was coming in fractions. As the sons were fighting on how to divide the horses a traveling mathematician came and heard their problem. He proposed a solution with which all the sons got their share in the property without harming any animal.
What was the advice given and how the group of houses were divided?

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

Oh....yeah?????

A man wants to divide his 17 horses among his three sons. According to his will the oldest man should get half of the horses,the middle son should get one third of the horses and the youngest son should get one ninth of the horses.
When there father dies they were not able to divide the horses as the result was coming in fractions. As the sons were fighting on how to divide the horses a traveling mathematician came and heard their problem. He proposed a solution with which all the sons got their share in the property without harming any animal.

Hmmm. You started with horses and ended with houses. But chalk that up to the wonderful world of internet typos. But I haven't a clue how to solve that problem. :)

London Broil kicks ass Foxy. Just marinade for about 24 hours and grill. It's awesome. :)

I've not tried it on the grill but I have pan broiled it like I do the sirloin and I agree it isn't bad. But I have a crock pot recipe for London broil that we prefer for that cut. But London Broil is usually a lot more expensive than the petite sirloin we buy too.

I can get London Broil for $4.99 a pound. It's yummy. :)

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

snopes.com Missing Dollar Puzzle

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

Oh....yeah?????

Hmmm. You started with horses and ended with houses. But chalk that up to the wonderful world of internet typos. But I haven't a clue how to solve that problem. :)

Shoulda been 'horses.'

See, the traveler added his horse to the 17, and 18 works for the 1/2, 1/3/ and 1/9.....leaving one horse....the traveler takes his back and is on his way.

Morning !
I could not get to sleep last night, so I stayed up watching some good horror movies and then re -runs of the X-Files in the wee morning hours. :)

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

Good grief. Horror movies. I couldn't sleep either. I look for great old movies--mostly non violent types--with a sound track that is white noise for me and dialogue I have memorized when I can't sleep. And I usually don't last for more than a few minutes before I'm sleeping like a baby. And even though I wake up frequently, which isn't a good thing but is a fact of my life, the movie will allow me to get back to sleep. "Titanic" or "Giant" or "Cleopatra" or "Apollo 13" are all especially good for that as they are longer-than-average movies.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

Oh....yeah?????

Shoulda been 'horses.'

See, the traveler added his horse to the 17, and 18 works for the 1/2, 1/3/ and 1/9.....leaving one horse....the traveler takes his back and is on his way.

Damn. It works.

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

Yes, I have seen (and explained) the solution many times. But our brains still say the $9 x 3 + $2 should also work.

London Broil kicks ass Foxy. Just marinade for about 24 hours and grill. It's awesome. :)

I've not tried it on the grill but I have pan broiled it like I do the sirloin and I agree it isn't bad. But I have a crock pot recipe for London broil that we prefer for that cut. But London Broil is usually a lot more expensive than the petite sirloin we buy too.

I can get London Broil for $4.99 a pound. It's yummy. :)

You can? We're paying almost that much for fatty hamburger here.

Morning !

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

Good grief. Horror movies. I couldn't sleep either. I look for great old movies--mostly non violent types--with a sound track that is white noise for me and dialogue I have memorized when I can't sleep. And I usually don't last for more than a few minutes before I'm sleeping like a baby. And even though I wake up frequently, which isn't a good thing but is a fact of my life, the movie will allow me to get back to sleep. "Titanic" or "Giant" or "Cleopatra" or "Apollo 13" are all especially good for that as they are longer-than-average movies.

I love Horror movies as well as science fiction. :biggrin:
I have been watching them since I was a kid. It doesn't keep me awake because I don't usually get scared from watching them.
There was only 2 twilight zone episodes that really scared me as a kid, none of the others effected me.

Morning !

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

I have been watching them since I was a kid. It doesn't keep me awake because I don't usually get scared from watching them.
There was only 2 twilight zone episodes that really scared me as a kid, none of the others effected me.

Well whatever works. I just don't handle graphic violence and blood and gore that well--I know it's just a movie or TV show but I still empathize with it too much.

My favorite 'horror' movie of all time though is "The Shining" once I knew how it was going to turn out. Brilliant in concept and execution.

I do like a lot of the science fiction though, unless it too includes unnecessary gratuitous violence, blood and gore in the special effects. I am a dedicated "Trekkie". And one of my favorite all time sci-fi movies is "Starman" but also loved the original "War of the Worlds" and similar type movies. A lot of the disaster movies I love are more sci-fi than natural disaster.

Last edited:

7 + 7/7 + 7*7 - 7

1 + 49 = 50

Yes, I have seen (and explained) the solution many times. But our brains still say the $9 x 3 + $2 should also work.

Ready for 'big time'???

A farmer has 21 pigs....how can he put the 21 in four pig pens so that there are an odd number of pigs in each of the four?

Morning !

fun-animals-131.jpg

fun-animals-31.jpg

Well whatever works. I just don't handle graphic violence and blood and gore that well--I know it's just a movie or TV show but I still empathize with it too much.

My favorite 'horror' movie of all time though is "The Shining" once I knew how it was going to turn out. Brilliant in concept and execution.

I do like a lot of the science fiction though, unless it too includes unnecessary gratuitous violence, blood and gore in the special effects. I am a dedicated "Trekkie". And one of my favorite all time sci-fi movies is "Starman" but also loved the original "War of the Worlds" and similar type movies. A lot of the disaster movies I love are more sci-fi than natural disaster.

I like the Ghost story haunting ones the most.

Forum List

Back