USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like the Ghost story haunting ones the most.

Some I like. "Ghost" is in my movie library and I rate it 5 stars. "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott is one of my favorite Christmas movies. And if there isn't anything more compelling on TV, I sometimes watch the ghost hunter kind of shows, but I'll have to admit I feel they really stretch sometimes to make stuff into a ghostly presence. In other words I don't necessarily pooh pooh it all, but there is an element of skepticism there.

But my favorite disaster movies are those that have great character development, great acting, and great story lines. I love "Dante's Peak" and "St. Helens" and "The Day the Dam Broke". The cross-overs into sci-fi include "Armageddon" and a number of others that involve fixing the moon hit by flying objects, re-positioning the Earth hit by a piece of comet, etc. "Day of Disaster" involves a super storm coupled with a computer hacker messing with the power grid--actually a former TV series edited into a movie, but quite good. There are a bunch of those types of movies that are just awful too.

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)

If I remember correctly, Dante's Peak was part of a rush of disaster type movies. There was another volcano movie that came out at almost the same time I think, although the other one was much worse; there's a particular scene of a man sinking into lava in subway tunnels that I remember finding hilarious.

I like PIerce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton well enough. They've both been in movies I enjoyed. I just remember Dante's Peak seeming to be just another in an almost unending trail of disaster movies at the time.

Armageddon certainly was more action/comedy.

And I don't in any way begrudge you enjoying disaster movies. I just don't think most tend to be particularly well acted or written. Those aren't necessary for an enjoyable movie, though; hell, I can watch Flash Gordon still and love it, despite it being horribly written and acted. Or The Last Dragon....there's another cheesy, badly written, poorly acted movie that I still for some reason love. :lol:
I like some campy movies, Flash Gordon was one, Starship Troopers, Tremors, Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates are few other great campy movies. :thup:

I like those movies too.
Dark Star is another campy comedy Sci- Fi that I like, but I think I'm also biased because of the theme song in the move Benson, Arizona. :)

London Broil kicks ass Foxy. Just marinade for about 24 hours and grill. It's awesome. :)

I've not tried it on the grill but I have pan broiled it like I do the sirloin and I agree it isn't bad. But I have a crock pot recipe for London broil that we prefer for that cut. But London Broil is usually a lot more expensive than the petite sirloin we buy too.

I can get London Broil for $4.99 a pound. It's yummy. :)

You can? We're paying almost that much for fatty hamburger here.

I've seen it from $3.99 to $7.99 a pound here in Florida. I go to a butcher shop and get it for $4.99 a pound. Ask Sherry how good it is marinated and grilled. :) Except for Filet Mignon I think the best steak there is.....that is....if you cook it properly.

WQ is correct, Foxy. I knew that he was a grill master, and I expected the London Broil would be good...but I wasn't expecting it to be so melt-in-my-mouth delicious.:thup:

Some I like. "Ghost" is in my movie library and I rate it 5 stars. "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott is one of my favorite Christmas movies. And if there isn't anything more compelling on TV, I sometimes watch the ghost hunter kind of shows, but I'll have to admit I feel they really stretch sometimes to make stuff into a ghostly presence. In other words I don't necessarily pooh pooh it all, but there is an element of skepticism there.

But my favorite disaster movies are those that have great character development, great acting, and great story lines. I love "Dante's Peak" and "St. Helens" and "The Day the Dam Broke". The cross-overs into sci-fi include "Armageddon" and a number of others that involve fixing the moon hit by flying objects, re-positioning the Earth hit by a piece of comet, etc. "Day of Disaster" involves a super storm coupled with a computer hacker messing with the power grid--actually a former TV series edited into a movie, but quite good. There are a bunch of those types of movies that are just awful too.

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)

If I remember correctly, Dante's Peak was part of a rush of disaster type movies. There was another volcano movie that came out at almost the same time I think, although the other one was much worse; there's a particular scene of a man sinking into lava in subway tunnels that I remember finding hilarious.

I like PIerce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton well enough. They've both been in movies I enjoyed. I just remember Dante's Peak seeming to be just another in an almost unending trail of disaster movies at the time.

And I don't in any way begrudge you enjoying disaster movies. I just don't think most tend to be particularly well acted or written. Those aren't necessary for an enjoyable movie, though; hell, I can watch Flash Gordon still and love it, despite it being horribly written and acted. Or The Last Dragon....there's another cheesy, badly written, poorly acted movie that I still for some reason love. :lol:
I like some campy movies, Flash Gordon was one, Starship Troopers, Tremors, Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates are few other great campy movies. :thup:

I like those movies too.
Dark Star is another campy comedy Sci- Fi that I like, but I think I'm also biased because of the theme song in the move Benson, Arizona. :)

The Volcano movie I think you're thinking of was entitled "Volcano" and was about a volcano that erupted in the heart of L.A.--Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche. It is in my movie library but I give that one only 2 stars. It starts off as a great movie, but runs out of plot real fast and from then on it is just special effects and run for your life kinds of scenes and lost its appeal for me.

The Volcano movie I think you're thinking of was entitled "Volcano" and was about a volcano that erupted in the heart of L.A.--Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche. It is in my movie library but I give that one only 2 stars. It starts off as a great movie, but runs out of plot real fast and from then on it is just special effects and run for your life kinds of scenes and lost its appeal for me.
Anne Heche you say? I could watch it. I could make her go straight too!

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg
Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

What was that I.D. whatever factor you were explaining the other day? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.
Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg
Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

What was that I.D. whatever factor you were explaining the other day? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.
Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

I believe you. But I was trained in reading, riting, and rithmatic and not in the scientific method. So I still get 56 :)

I like those movies too.

What volcano movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_(film)

Sorry I see you ment Montrovant not me.

Last edited:
I like the Ghost story haunting ones the most.

I absolutely hated Starship Troopers. Making fun of it in the theater was the only enjoyment I got from it. I never liked Tremors, either. Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates, on the other hand, are classic campy movies.

These things are so completely subjective. :D

I like those movies too.

Yeah, that's the one! In a scene where there is lava in a subway tunnel, and people trapped in a subway car, one of the characters picks up a child I think and jumps out of the back of the subway car into the lava. He throws the child over the lava to the waiting other people, then slowly sinks down into the lava, I think even putting a thumbs up on his hand as the last thing you see. It was terribad. :lmao:

I like those movies too.

What volcano movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_(film)

Sorry I see you ment Montrovant not me.

As I said it was the one titled "Volcano" and the main stars included Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche. I'm thinking maybe 1997?

I absolutely hated Starship Troopers. Making fun of it in the theater was the only enjoyment I got from it. I never liked Tremors, either. Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates, on the other hand, are classic campy movies.

Oh definitely highly subjective. And especially here in the Coffee Shop, I doubt you would find a more eclectic group so far as personal tastes go anywhere. I hated Starship Troopers too. But I love love LOVE "Tremors". It's a 5 star movie at our house.

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

What is a loaf sandwich? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very appetizing. :lol:

Oh definitely highly subjective. And especially here in the Coffee Shop, I doubt you would find a more eclectic group so far as personal tastes go anywhere. I hated Starship Troopers too. But I love love LOVE "Tremors". It's a 5 star movie at our house.

Yup, personally, I'm not a fan of the horror genre . . . or more slasher flicks actually. I don't enjoy watching people being tortured and killed for 2 hours. :D I do like the more classic ones though. On Halloween, it's been a tradition since I was a kid that we would all watch Halloween. That is scary enough for me!

Forum List

Back