USMB Coffee Shop IV

I lost 100 lbs in the past 4 months. I was on iv nutrition for two of those months. When I was able to eat food again it was mainly soft food or meat because I needed protein. I haven't had a carb since. Other than what may be in certain foods.

It's very hard. I loved my pastas and breads.

Wow woman. Apparently you had a few pounds to spare with that kind of weight loss--a lot of us are in that situation I think--but I hope you recover sufficiently to be able to enjoy at least a few guilty pleasures, however sparingly, in the future.

Lol. Yes. I had it to lose. I am now in the healthy weight range for my age and height. I won't deny myself anything if I want to have it. I just have to make sure I don't have it every day like I was. It's all about portion control and choices.

Yup. It's just like GW expressed--our bodies tolerate some things better than others and we aren't all the same in that regard. And I can't speak for anybody else, but for me there are some guilty pleasures I just don't indulge in at all because I have no will power at all. I won't limit myself to a sip or two or a bite or two. If I start I'll have the whooooooole thing.
Girl Scout cookies!!!

Thin mints! Yum. I could eat a whole box all by myself. :D

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

What is a loaf sandwich? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very appetizing. :lol:
If it's like me it would be a meatloaf sandwich but he's a yankee and there's now telling what loaf means up there....... :eusa_whistle:
:D

I'm a yankee too and I've never heard of a loaf sandwich. :D We have a sandwich meat here called pickle loaf (don't know how popular that is in other parts of the country). :cheeky-smiley-018: I think it's nasty. It's like bologna with little bits of vegetables stuck in it. Gross.

Still looking for the filet or ribeye, paired with a Burley Cabernet Sauvignon.
It's a big cab made for people that love red wine.

That's why Porterhouse would be perfect. You can have the filet and I'll have the sirloin. :wink_2: Lol.

I want a T-bone, medium rare. Porterhouse, delicious but way too much fat content. I do love a filet, bacon-wrapped. :thup: Oh my.....:D
My favorite is a ribeye, lots of fat........... :D

The fat marbling and bone is what gives red meat it's flavor. That is why I am not a fan of the filet mignon. I think it is highly overrated. Though tender, it is certainly not the most flavorful steak.
I guess I'm spoiled. I prefer game meat because it is lean and I like that flavor. I find well-marbled meat fatty and somewhat gross, but it's more about mouth feel than flavor. My throat locks up if I chomp into a piece of chewy fat or gristle. If that happens, dinner is over for me. Hence, I trim my meat very closely of any fat, gristly or other tissues other than the muscle.

I've only had venison. I do not like venison burger at all though. It was disgusting for hamburgers even mixed with hamburger. The steaks are really good though. I just put a lot of garlic salt and pepper on them. They are surprisingly tender too. My grammy told me that moose meat is even better. I've never had it though. :)

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
Many say to salt before cooking but chemistry has shown that salting items tends to draw fluid out of them. I generally only salt meat right before eating it, not before cooking it.

I always salt my steaks at least 10 minutes before I put them on the grill. Never have a problem with a tough steak unless it is a cheap cut.

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

If it's like me it would be a meatloaf sandwich but he's a yankee and there's now telling what loaf means up there....... :eusa_whistle:

I'm a yankee too and I've never heard of a loaf sandwich. :D We have a sandwich meat here called pickle loaf (don't know how popular that is in other parts of the country). :cheeky-smiley-018: I think it's nasty. It's like bologna with little bits of vegetables stuck in it. Gross.
Or pork roll (New Jersey food) and if it's called loaf up in almost Canada.........

Or pork roll (New Jersey food) and if it's called loaf up in almost Canada.........

I've never heard of pork roll. What's that?

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
Many say to salt before cooking but chemistry has shown that salting items tends to draw fluid out of them. I generally only salt meat right before eating it, not before cooking it.

I make a wicked homemade steak sauce too. :D

I always salt my steaks at least 10 minutes before I put them on the grill. Never have a problem with a tough steak unless it is a cheap cut.
When I was a kid, we'd sometimes put salt on a banana slug. The salt would draw out their fluids and kill them. Granted, a banana slug and a steak are two different things.
slugs_01.jpg

When I was a kid, we'd sometimes put salt on a banana slug. The salt would draw out their fluids and kill them. Granted, a banana slug and a steak are two different things.
slugs_01.jpg

:ack-1: Those are really gross.

Pork roll, otherwise known as Taylor Ham, I'd never heard of it till my BIL moved to NJ. Think items like Treet, bologna, mild salami....... All variations of the same thing

Pork roll, otherwise known as Taylor Ham, I'd never heard of it till my BIL moved to NJ. Think items like Treet, bologna, mild salami....... All variations of the same thing

I like salami. Genoa is my favorite. I do not like bologna though. I have no idea what "Treet" is. :D

"

I like salami. Genoa is my favorite. I do not like bologna though. I have no idea what "Treet" is. :D
"Treet" is something like Spam, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)

If I remember correctly, Dante's Peak was part of a rush of disaster type movies. There was another volcano movie that came out at almost the same time I think, although the other one was much worse; there's a particular scene of a man sinking into lava in subway tunnels that I remember finding hilarious.

I like PIerce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton well enough. They've both been in movies I enjoyed. I just remember Dante's Peak seeming to be just another in an almost unending trail of disaster movies at the time.

Armageddon certainly was more action/comedy.

And I don't in any way begrudge you enjoying disaster movies. I just don't think most tend to be particularly well acted or written. Those aren't necessary for an enjoyable movie, though; hell, I can watch Flash Gordon still and love it, despite it being horribly written and acted. Or The Last Dragon....there's another cheesy, badly written, poorly acted movie that I still for some reason love. :lol:
I like some campy movies, Flash Gordon was one, Starship Troopers, Tremors, Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates are few other great campy movies. :thup:

I absolutely hated Starship Troopers. Making fun of it in the theater was the only enjoyment I got from it. I never liked Tremors, either. Army of Darkness and Ice Pirates, on the other hand, are classic campy movies.

These things are so completely subjective. :D

Oh definitely highly subjective. And especially here in the Coffee Shop, I doubt you would find a more eclectic group so far as personal tastes go anywhere. I hated Starship Troopers too. But I love love LOVE "Tremors". It's a 5 star movie at our house.

I have a few friends who are big Tremors fans. I never understood the appeal. It's made worse by the fact that when the ScyFy channel canceled the show Farscape, one of the things they replaced it with was Tremors the series. :mad:

"

"Treet" is something like Spam, if I'm not mistaken.
It's a cheap version of Spam. Apparently the people in NY and east Pennsy love Taylor ham, I wasn't impressed.

It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.
I like to marinade mine in a mix of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce with minced garlic and onion powder. I add rubbed sage when I cook the steak.
I found doing the same with pork chops and searing them quickly ensures they stay juicy.

It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.

I love steak sauce. :D Spicy steak sauce is the best. Another good way to eat a steak is with some garlic herb butter and just put a pat on top of a hot steak and it soaks in. Yummy!

Forum List

Back