USMB Coffee Shop IV

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
Many say to salt before cooking but chemistry has shown that salting items tends to draw fluid out of them. I generally only salt meat right before eating it, not before cooking it.

I always salt my steaks at least 10 minutes before I put them on the grill. Never have a problem with a tough steak unless it is a cheap cut.
When I was a kid, we'd sometimes put salt on a banana slug. The salt would draw out their fluids and kill them. Granted, a banana slug and a steak are two different things.
slugs_01.jpg

:ack-1: Those are really gross.
Yet harmless and very common in the redwood forests of central California.

Bacon is a food group...... Bacon fat is a beverage....... :eusa_whistle:

Grilled cheese sandwiches cooked in bacon fat with bacon . . . and tomato for health, of course. :D

I might have to see if the little one will eat that. She is a bacon fan!

It's probably really not much more fattening than cooking it in butter. Of course that should be eaten in moderation. :D I also like dipping my grilled cheese in tomato soup.

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
Many say to salt before cooking but chemistry has shown that salting items tends to draw fluid out of them. I generally only salt meat right before eating it, not before cooking it.

I always salt my steaks at least 10 minutes before I put them on the grill. Never have a problem with a tough steak unless it is a cheap cut.
When I was a kid, we'd sometimes put salt on a banana slug. The salt would draw out their fluids and kill them. Granted, a banana slug and a steak are two different things.
slugs_01.jpg

:ack-1: Those are really gross.
Yet harmless and very common in the redwood forests of central California.

Yeah, we don't get insects so large around here. :D That is the ONE thing that is good about a colder climate.

I make a wicked homemade steak sauce too. :D
It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.

I love steak sauce. :D Spicy steak sauce is the best. Another good way to eat a steak is with some garlic herb butter and just put a pat on top of a hot steak and it soaks in. Yummy!
Garlic is good with anything.

What do you put in yours? Mine is my own blend of ketchup mustard, worchestershire, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, a dash of hot sauce.

It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.

I love steak sauce. :D Spicy steak sauce is the best. Another good way to eat a steak is with some garlic herb butter and just put a pat on top of a hot steak and it soaks in. Yummy!
Garlic is good with anything.

I put it in most everything. There are very few dishes that I don't use at least a little bit of garlic.

What do you put in yours? Mine is my own blend of ketchup mustard, worchestershire, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, a dash of hot sauce.

Mine is basically the same, but I don't really have a set recipe, I just add things that I have on hand, but those are my basic ingredients too. I also use a little bit of smoke sauce in mine.

I love Horror movies as well as science fiction. :biggrin:
I have been watching them since I was a kid. It doesn't keep me awake because I don't usually get scared from watching them.
There was only 2 twilight zone episodes that really scared me as a kid, none of the others effected me.

Well whatever works. I just don't handle graphic violence and blood and gore that well--I know it's just a movie or TV show but I still empathize with it too much.

My favorite 'horror' movie of all time though is "The Shining" once I knew how it was going to turn out. Brilliant in concept and execution.

I do like a lot of the science fiction though, unless it too includes unnecessary gratuitous violence, blood and gore in the special effects. I am a dedicated "Trekkie". And one of my favorite all time sci-fi movies is "Starman" but also loved the original "War of the Worlds" and similar type movies. A lot of the disaster movies I love are more sci-fi than natural disaster.

I like the Ghost story haunting ones the most.

Some I like. "Ghost" is in my movie library and I rate it 5 stars. "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott is one of my favorite Christmas movies. And if there isn't anything more compelling on TV, I sometimes watch the ghost hunter kind of shows, but I'll have to admit I feel they really stretch sometimes to make stuff into a ghostly presence. In other words I don't necessarily pooh pooh it all, but there is an element of skepticism there.

But my favorite disaster movies are those that have great character development, great acting, and great story lines. I love "Dante's Peak" and "St. Helens" and "The Day the Dam Broke". The cross-overs into sci-fi include "Armageddon" and a number of others that involve fixing the moon hit by flying objects, re-positioning the Earth hit by a piece of comet, etc. "Day of Disaster" involves a super storm coupled with a computer hacker messing with the power grid--actually a former TV series edited into a movie, but quite good. There are a bunch of those types of movies that are just awful too.

I don't think I've ever seen great acting or great story lines used in conjunction with the movies Dante's Peak or Armageddon. ;)

Well everybody's tastes aren't the same. Hombre isn't much of a disaster movie aficionado and I don't think he understands their fascination for me.

Especially in Armageddon, the characer development was fascinating and all the actors stayed true to their characters really well. It was not intended to take all that seriously as Armageddon is as much comedy as disaster movie, but it had just enough element of everything to keep me entertained.

As for Dante's Peak, I can't fault the acting in any way and the story line was not entirely unbelievable. And I'm picky. :)
It was always a blast watching those kinds of disaster movies with my brothers. The peanut gallery kibitzing was absolutely hilarious.

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg
Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

What was that I.D. whatever factor you were explaining the other day? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.
I've been thinking about the parentheses thing. I'm not sure how many of you have worked with Spreadsheet, but if you miss the proper parentheses, your formulae are useless.

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg
Now this is odd... using the calculator on my computer I get 56. Using the calculator in my smart phone I get 50. Punched in the same on both, two different answers. Now I need to know why....

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

I believe you. But I was trained in reading, riting, and rithmatic and not in the scientific method. So I still get 56 :)
Well, at least now you know why you're coming out with the wrong answer to that equation... :eusa_whistle:

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. I had an exhausting day car shopping. My back is feeling much better and I plan on sleeping like a baby tonight. Cheers you to all lovely people!
Funny you should say that. My daughter just called and told me about her husband's decision to buy himself a truck for his birthday. They'll pick it up tomorrow night. While she thought the timing of such an acquisition is poorly timed, it sounded like she got her way in just about every other aspect. Amazing how women can get their way, even when their men think they are getting theirs. I'm so proud of my daughter! What a wife!

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. I had an exhausting day car shopping. My back is feeling much better and I plan on sleeping like a baby tonight. Cheers you to all lovely people!
Funny you should say that. My daughter just called and told me about her husband's decision to buy himself a truck for his birthday. They'll pick it up tomorrow night. While she thought the timing of such an acquisition is poorly timed, it sounded like she got her way in just about every other aspect. Amazing how women can get their way, even when their men think they are getting theirs. I'm so proud of my daughter! What a wife!
Small world. I hate shopping for anything but even hate it more when its a rather big ticket item. I thought about getting truck but all the ones a looked at were huge. I don't need Gravedigger in my driveway. lol

The key to avoiding hangovers is to not drink alcoholic beverages. ;)

Besides, alcohol is gross! :puke:

That's why I like the ones that taste like candy. Then, those could be dangerous because they are so good and you can't taste the alcohol, you could get really drunk really fast and not even realize it! :lol: I only drink occasionally myself. I don't do alcohol very well. Lol.
If you haven't tried it yet, have some Rum Chatta. I can't believe they make it taste so good. Like Cinnabun in liquid form.

There was a rum I liked while boating, in the 90's and I think I recall it being named Captain, something or the other. It was so delish!
Probably Captain Morgans spiced rum. Good mixed as well as over the rocks.

:cheeky-smiley-018: I got sick from that once and cannot stand to even smell it to this day.
Heh, heh, heh...Capt Morgans played an important role in removing an item from my bucket list a couple of years ago. My daughter chose that potage, added white Rockstar, and we shared a fifth one Christmas eve. I'm not sure how I bruised my cheek, but vaguely remember diving under the table to retrieve my specs and finding a chair in the way. My daughter claims her last cognizant memory was sitting in the snow, propped against the bumper of my truck, smoking a cigarette with the dog between her legs. Somehow, everyone was upstairs and safely in bed the next morning. So, tie one on with my daughter is off the list.

Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

I believe you. But I was trained in reading, riting, and rithmatic and not in the scientific method. So I still get 56 :)
Well, at least now you know why you're coming out with the wrong answer to that equation... :eusa_whistle:

Well 7 + 7 is 14. 14 divided by 7 is 2. 2 + 7 is 9. 9 x 7 is 63. 63 - 7 is 56. I think your calculator is broken. :razz:

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

What is a loaf sandwich? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very appetizing. :lol:
I don't know... I said "Old Fashioned Loaf," not loaf.

It's a sandwich meat same as bologna, or pimento loaf, or pickle and pimento loaf, etc.

Try it, you might like it.

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

What is a loaf sandwich? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very appetizing. :lol:
I don't know... I said "Old Fashioned Loaf," not loaf.

It's a sandwich meat same as bologna, or pimento loaf, or pickle and pimento loaf, etc.

Try it, you might like it.

I have tried pickle loaf. Don't like it. :D

Forum List

Back