USMB Coffee Shop IV

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. I had an exhausting day car shopping. My back is feeling much better and I plan on sleeping like a baby tonight. Cheers you to all lovely people!
Funny you should say that. My daughter just called and told me about her husband's decision to buy himself a truck for his birthday. They'll pick it up tomorrow night. While she thought the timing of such an acquisition is poorly timed, it sounded like she got her way in just about every other aspect. Amazing how women can get their way, even when their men think they are getting theirs. I'm so proud of my daughter! What a wife!
Small world. I hate shopping for anything but even hate it more when its a rather big ticket item. I thought about getting truck but all the ones a looked at were huge. I don't need Gravedigger in my driveway. lol
I actually have good use for a decent-sized pickup. I drive out to the "Valley" every few weeks to score a couple of tons of grass. I also haul a 19' stock trailer or my 28' travel trailer. Unfortunately, my old Subaru couldn't handle any of that. Being somewhat vertically challenged, I make it a point to have running boards installed on my conveyance of preference.

I prefer tenderloin/filet mignon but find ribeye's acceptable also.

Porterhouse would be good. :D You can bring the wine!
Still looking for the filet or ribeye, paired with a Burley Cabernet Sauvignon.
It's a big cab made for people that love red wine.

That's why Porterhouse would be perfect. You can have the filet and I'll have the sirloin. :wink_2: Lol.
I like all steak, so long as it's not tough. When the longer you chew it the bigger it gets, I'm not even going to bother finishing it. So probably fillet would have to be my fav, medium rare.

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
You should actually put the salt on after you have seared it. Salt tends to draw out the moisture and dry out the meat.

I lost 100 lbs in the past 4 months. I was on iv nutrition for two of those months. When I was able to eat food again it was mainly soft food or meat because I needed protein. I haven't had a carb since. Other than what may be in certain foods.

It's very hard. I loved my pastas and breads.

Wow woman. Apparently you had a few pounds to spare with that kind of weight loss--a lot of us are in that situation I think--but I hope you recover sufficiently to be able to enjoy at least a few guilty pleasures, however sparingly, in the future.

Lol. Yes. I had it to lose. I am now in the healthy weight range for my age and height. I won't deny myself anything if I want to have it. I just have to make sure I don't have it every day like I was. It's all about portion control and choices.

Yup. It's just like GW expressed--our bodies tolerate some things better than others and we aren't all the same in that regard. And I can't speak for anybody else, but for me there are some guilty pleasures I just don't indulge in at all because I have no will power at all. I won't limit myself to a sip or two or a bite or two. If I start I'll have the whooooooole thing.
Girl Scout cookies!!!

Thin mints! Yum. I could eat a whole box all by myself. :D
Any kind of GS cookie...and the salespeople are usually about the cutest things on this planet, I usually stumble across Brownies with dimples and big eyes. Makes me think of my granddaughters.

Yup, here I am, up in the middle of the night with a massively upset stomach. Ate something that didn't agree with me... o_O

Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

What is a loaf sandwich? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very appetizing. :lol:
If it's like me it would be a meatloaf sandwich but he's a yankee and there's now telling what loaf means up there....... :eusa_whistle:
:D

I'm a yankee too and I've never heard of a loaf sandwich. :D We have a sandwich meat here called pickle loaf (don't know how popular that is in other parts of the country). :cheeky-smiley-018: I think it's nasty. It's like bologna with little bits of vegetables stuck in it. Gross.
Have you ever had scrapple?

That's why Porterhouse would be perfect. You can have the filet and I'll have the sirloin. :wink_2: Lol.

I want a T-bone, medium rare. Porterhouse, delicious but way too much fat content. I do love a filet, bacon-wrapped. :thup: Oh my.....:D
My favorite is a ribeye, lots of fat........... :D

The fat marbling and bone is what gives red meat it's flavor. That is why I am not a fan of the filet mignon. I think it is highly overrated. Though tender, it is certainly not the most flavorful steak.
I guess I'm spoiled. I prefer game meat because it is lean and I like that flavor. I find well-marbled meat fatty and somewhat gross, but it's more about mouth feel than flavor. My throat locks up if I chomp into a piece of chewy fat or gristle. If that happens, dinner is over for me. Hence, I trim my meat very closely of any fat, gristly or other tissues other than the muscle.

I've only had venison. I do not like venison burger at all though. It was disgusting for hamburgers even mixed with hamburger. The steaks are really good though. I just put a lot of garlic salt and pepper on them. They are surprisingly tender too. My grammy told me that moose meat is even better. I've never had it though. :)
Any game meat, wild caught (hunted) can be completely ruined by poor field dressing and handling. It has to be kept clean and cooled as soon as possible. Should NEVER be put into plastic bags. Your grammy was right about moose meat, too. But for my money, Dall Sheep takes the cake. Lean, tender, and delicious.

What was that I.D. whatever factor you were explaining the other day? :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Truth is I don't know. The consensus here seems to be that the answer is 56 but again, going to the internet where the problem is being worked a LOT, the answers are all over the place.)

See Aqua's solution for instance. . . . and I don't KNOW whether she is right or whether Montro is or the rest of us are. . . .
Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.
Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

I believe you. But I was trained in reading, riting, and rithmatic and not in the scientific method. So I still get 56 :)
Well, at least now you know why you're coming out with the wrong answer to that equation... :eusa_whistle:

Well 7 + 7 is 14. 14 divided by 7 is 2. 2 + 7 is 9. 9 x 7 is 63. 63 - 7 is 56. I think your calculator is broken. :razz:
See, you're making the same mistake that Ff is. You're essentially calculating an answer to an equation after each 7, but in order to work out an equation like that it should have been written entirely different, as in...

(7+7)=a
a÷(7)=b
b+(7)=c
cx(7)=d
d-(7)=e
e=56
... and that is what you are doing, which is wrong. You're not solving ONE equation, you're essentially solving FIVE DIFFERENT equations.

Now to solve the equation correctly, entering it into a calculator, "as it is written"...

7+7÷7+7x7-7... = ... the answer will be 50.

The calculator doesn't make mistakes.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Too much Pizza pie? Too many olives? Are you better now?
I never did make that mag pizza the other night. I was too tired to fuss with it. I had an Old Fashioned Loaf sammich instead, and evidently that upset my stomach. All better now. Got in a full day yesterday. Got the GMC loaded up on a flat bed wrecker for a 12 mile ride to the dealer for the alignment, and that was $95. My GAWD, I'm in the wrong business. I think I'll buy me a wrecker. $95 for maybe 45 minutes work? What a racket.

If it's like me it would be a meatloaf sandwich but he's a yankee and there's now telling what loaf means up there....... :eusa_whistle:

I'm a yankee too and I've never heard of a loaf sandwich. :D We have a sandwich meat here called pickle loaf (don't know how popular that is in other parts of the country). :cheeky-smiley-018: I think it's nasty. It's like bologna with little bits of vegetables stuck in it. Gross.

No. . . should I be afraid to ask? :lol:

I make a wicked homemade steak sauce too. :D
It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.

I love steak sauce. :D Spicy steak sauce is the best. Another good way to eat a steak is with some garlic herb butter and just put a pat on top of a hot steak and it soaks in. Yummy!
Me too... gotta have A-1 with my steak.

That's why steak is best cooked medium rare. If it's too well done and loses it's pinkish color then it becomes tough. I think just putting some salt on it before you cook it and letting it soak into the meat helps tenderize it. :)
Many say to salt before cooking but chemistry has shown that salting items tends to draw fluid out of them. I generally only salt meat right before eating it, not before cooking it.

I always salt my steaks at least 10 minutes before I put them on the grill. Never have a problem with a tough steak unless it is a cheap cut.
When I was a kid, we'd sometimes put salt on a banana slug. The salt would draw out their fluids and kill them. Granted, a banana slug and a steak are two different things.
slugs_01.jpg
That's the truth! I would never consider eating a banana slug, salted or not.

Don't know what I did different on my computer calculator the first time, but I get 50 now on that too, with or without using parentheses, and here it is on my smart phone calculator...

... I'd feel pretty safe saying the answer is 50.
Now HERE'S THE KICKER... if you hit "equal" after each number, you get 56. If you don't hit equal but type in the full equation then hit it, you get 50. It is all in how you work the equation. Frankly, I was taught to use a scientific calculator in college, and we were taught to enter an equation as it is written, in which case as this equation was presented, the correct answer would be 50, otherwise, if you are calculating in your head the number after each 7, the equation should then have been written completely different. For example, if it was written...

(7+7)÷(7+7)x(7-7)=

... then the answer is ZERO. It's all in how it's written, and how it's written determines how it's to be calculated. So...

7+7÷7+7x7-7=... entered that way as it is written into a calculator and then hit enter, the answer will be 50.

..:)

I believe you. But I was trained in reading, riting, and rithmatic and not in the scientific method. So I still get 56 :)
Well, at least now you know why you're coming out with the wrong answer to that equation... :eusa_whistle:

Well 7 + 7 is 14. 14 divided by 7 is 2. 2 + 7 is 9. 9 x 7 is 63. 63 - 7 is 56. I think your calculator is broken. :razz:
See, you're making the same mistake that Ff is. You're essentially calculating an answer to an equation after each 7, but in order to work out an equation like that it should have been written entirely different, as in...

(7+7)=a
a÷(7)=b
b+(7)=c
cx(7)=d
d-(7)=e
e=56
... and that is what you are doing, which is wrong. You're not solving ONE equation, you're essentially solving FIVE DIFFERENT equations.

Now to solve the equation correctly, entering it into a calculator, "as it is written"...

7+7÷7+7x7-7... = ... the answer will be 50.

The calculator doesn't make mistakes.

Well, I was only joking. I don't really like math anyhow. That's why I use a calculator. :)

My parents grew up in Philadelphia and seemed to crave the stuff. My brothers, sisters, and I thought it a pretty repugnant use for leftover garbage (as food):
"Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin, scrapple was made from the bits and pieces of the pig not suited for anything else! "

I make a wicked homemade steak sauce too. :D
It's funny, I like sauces and marinades with lots of spice. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, various African or South American mixes. I like my steaks mostly with just pepper, light salt and some horseradish on the side.

I love steak sauce. :D Spicy steak sauce is the best. Another good way to eat a steak is with some garlic herb butter and just put a pat on top of a hot steak and it soaks in. Yummy!
Me too... gotta have A-1 with my steak.

I like my homemade or the Pick-A-Peppa hot sauce on my steak. I can eat A-1 of course and still enjoy my meal, but I prefer the others.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

My parents grew up in Philadelphia and seemed to crave the stuff. My brothers, sisters, and I thought it a pretty repugnant use for leftover garbage (as food):
"Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin, scrapple was made from the bits and pieces of the pig not suited for anything else! "

I'll pass! :lol:

I'll pass! :lol:
Yeah, me too! I don't eat any version of hot dog or commercially produced "sausage" because they are made from "lips and assholes". I will eat my own home-made wieners or summer sausage, or the stuff the local German Metzger makes from the game meat you bring him, but most commercial stuff is...well, blech!

With ya, Chris! I have to get up in a couple of hours to start my "day". Good night all, don't let the bed bugs bite!
Later 'gaters.

(Why doesn't multi quote work?)

Edit: OK... just figured it out. Another thing that's very convoluted about this board that I don't like.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, mdk, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Forum List

Back