USMB Coffee Shop IV

Of course tonight will really be 21:46:53

Well technically yes, but it won't look like that on my clocks. :)

Took us forever to get our microwave to show the time in anything other than military time.
All of my digital clocks have displayed military time since I got to work 12 hours early one time. Could have sworn my head had just hit the pillow, but it was 7:25 and I had to be at work at 8. I was working 16 on and 16 off 7 days a week at the time and had lost all track of morning vs. evening.

Mine do too -- I just don't call it "military" since it's not related to that.
I've used 24h displays since I lived in Europe, where it's normal. Helps you get on the right train for one thing.

But digital clocks carry another hazard:
One time I had gone to another city for a period of work; drove in the day before and settled in my crash pad where I would be the next week. The first morning, my eyes opened, hadn't heard an alarm but I saw daylight coming in the window. Hmm, should I be seeing sunlight berfore I get up? Having traveled to a different time zone I wasn't sure, so I looked at my alarm clock...

"8:09".

"8:09?? :ack-1:

Shit! I'm supposed to be onsite at 8! How does this happen!? I never heard an alarm!"
I frantically get up, turn the lights on, grab my clothes, start thinking about how I'm going to explain...

then I pick up the alarm clock again to see what went wrong...

"6:08"

I was reading it upside down.

:banghead:

LOL. I don't know if everybody will admit it, but I would bet a good steak dinner that there isn't a single one of us who at one time or another didn't arrive early or late for something important just because we read the clock wrong. :)

:lmao: On boy, I DO have a story. Ten years ago, early in the morning, I was bathing and dressing for work and in the process of doing my hair, when the phone rang. After I said, hello, my manager asked in a firm voice, where are you? I said, I'm obviously right here at home, and I am getting ready to come to work in about an hour. He said, you should have been here an hour ago. :ack-1: I had set the clocks in the wrong direction and I almost fainted when he told me that.

If you knew what a disciplined person I am and how few mistakes I make, you would get a kick out of this story, and when I walked into work, after driving way too fast to get there, the manager and another employee were breaking up laughing and my hair was a mess, and my face was :redface:.

Twice a year, since then, and as I am changing the time on 7 clocks, I think of that shocking morning and make sure I am changing these darn,( but beautiful ) clocks, the correct way...lol

That happened to me with a dentist appointment a few years ago. Thought I was early. Sat there a while -- it's awfully quiet in here... "uh, I'm here for my 11:00" --

"It's 12 o'clock -- everybody went to lunch".

"Huh?"

"Daylight Savings Time started over the weekend".

:dunno: Nobody told me. I hate hate hate this goofy system where we start lying to ourselves about what time it is, and then can't even agree on when we start doing it.

Amirite Foxy... :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
The sun is right now ( 8:30am PT ) streaming in my windows after two days of my favorite kind of weather, soft rain, mist, medium winds and that fresh smell of the sea.
I poured here all weekend and cancelled all my outdoor plans. I got about 5" in a 5 gallon bucket, even for us mossbacks that's a lot.
You guys needed the moisture though didn't you? Or does the western drought extend into Washington State?
What means "drought"? Does not compute.

LOL, actually it was a dry winter so it didn't hurt to have rain. We can get a drought but that means it snowed less in the mountains and the melting during summer supplies less water in the rivers and lakes. Never saw it too bad though, you can wash your car and water your lawn all year long.

The sun is right now ( 8:30am PT ) streaming in my windows after two days of my favorite kind of weather, soft rain, mist, medium winds and that fresh smell of the sea.
I poured here all weekend and cancelled all my outdoor plans. I got about 5" in a 5 gallon bucket, even for us mossbacks that's a lot.
Hey there, Icey. :) Yes the weather in the PNW over the weekend didn't lend itself to outdoor activities, but it sure looked good, as the mist lay between the various sized trees outside my windows. Work is often good too, in that kind of weather as people drive to the coast and since they can't go to the beaches for sun and surf, they hit the stores. :D :thup: I love to say, Welcome, as they stroll in.
I do like the coast, the Oregon coast is the best! Further south the better it gets. I have a lot of shots over the years, Bandon is my favorite. But like many artsy places the money moves in and the artists move to the outskirts. Carmel was a really good example, I had to rent a small room by someone's swimming pool!

Carmel, California? It is one of the world's really picturesque and quaint places and I loved it. Had lunch at Clint Eastwood's Hogsbreath Inn and enjoyed walking on the shoreline. They have a lot of quirky little laws that are interesting. Such as the one making it illegal to eat an icecream cone outside on the public walks or streets--keeps the place tidy and neat it was explained to me.

And if you mean a different Carmel oh well. Still brought back a flood of pleasant memories.

I wondered what posts y'all were taking about. Turns out daniel is in my garbage filter.

Understood, but it's one of those if you can't say something nice about somebody in the Coffee Shop then don't say anything at all things. In other words we leave our problems with folks out there at the door when we come in here. And folks are really good at that. They don't always interact with every other member of the Coffee Shop because the history is just too strained, but it is almost always manageable. Those who can't handle it or don't want to just go somewhere else. It all works out.

Well technically yes, but it won't look like that on my clocks. :)

Took us forever to get our microwave to show the time in anything other than military time.
All of my digital clocks have displayed military time since I got to work 12 hours early one time. Could have sworn my head had just hit the pillow, but it was 7:25 and I had to be at work at 8. I was working 16 on and 16 off 7 days a week at the time and had lost all track of morning vs. evening.

I've used 24h displays since I lived in Europe, where it's normal. Helps you get on the right train for one thing.

One time I had gone to another city for a period of work; drove in the day before and settled in my crash pad where I would be the next week. The first morning, my eyes opened, hadn't heard an alarm but I saw daylight coming in the window. Hmm, should I be seeing sunlight berfore I get up? Having traveled to a different time zone I wasn't sure, so I looked at my alarm clock...

Shit! I'm supposed to be onsite at 8! How does this happen!? I never heard an alarm!"
I frantically get up, turn the lights on, grab my clothes, start thinking about how I'm going to explain...

LOL. I don't know if everybody will admit it, but I would bet a good steak dinner that there isn't a single one of us who at one time or another didn't arrive early or late for something important just because we read the clock wrong. :)

:lmao: On boy, I DO have a story. Ten years ago, early in the morning, I was bathing and dressing for work and in the process of doing my hair, when the phone rang. After I said, hello, my manager asked in a firm voice, where are you? I said, I'm obviously right here at home, and I am getting ready to come to work in about an hour. He said, you should have been here an hour ago. :ack-1: I had set the clocks in the wrong direction and I almost fainted when he told me that.

If you knew what a disciplined person I am and how few mistakes I make, you would get a kick out of this story, and when I walked into work, after driving way too fast to get there, the manager and another employee were breaking up laughing and my hair was a mess, and my face was :redface:.

Twice a year, since then, and as I am changing the time on 7 clocks, I think of that shocking morning and make sure I am changing these darn,( but beautiful ) clocks, the correct way...lol

That happened to me with a dentist appointment a few years ago. Thought I was early. Sat there a while -- it's awfully quiet in here... "uh, I'm here for my 11:00" --

"Huh?"

:dunno: Nobody told me. I hate hate hate this goofy system where we start lying to ourselves about what time it is, and then can't even agree on when we start doing it.

Well if you guys ever get around to making me benevolent dictator for a day or a year or something, I guarantee you that will be one of the things fixed immediately. The time will be set and that will be that.

Mmmm mmmm good Happy St Patrick's eve day....

AA9tppo.img

"Huh?"

Well if you guys ever get around to making me benevolent dictator for a day or a year or something, I guarantee you that will be one of the things fixed immediately. The time will be set and that will be that.
Like what, for example?

Carmel, California? It is one of the world's really picturesque and quaint places and I loved it. Had lunch at Clint Eastwood's Hogsbreath Inn and enjoyed walking on the shoreline. They have a lot of quirky little laws that are interesting. Such as the one making it illegal to eat an icecream cone outside on the public walks or streets--keeps the place tidy and neat it was explained to me.

And if you mean a different Carmel oh well. Still brought back a flood of pleasant memories.
Yes, Carmel By The Sea. I finished my last semester of CA University there. I was way too poor for Clint's restaurant. I actually lived in 17 Mile Drive, (Pebble Beach). The sunsets were awesome, the golf courses immaculate, the residents filthy rich. One of them had me mow down his yard of weeds with a Huskyvarna commercial weedeater with a saw blade. Turns out his "weeds" were poison oak. And he knew it.

AA9tppo.img

And back atcha Tyrone. That looks really good. Does the dish have an official name?

It is the eve of St Patty's Day isn't it. I'll have to change my avatar after tomorrow, but everybody dust off their best Irish jokes for tomorrow.
Corned Beef Hash
This recipe is a two-step process, but nothing about it is difficult. Start by cooking the beef the day before (if you also want to have it for dinner that night, just double the recipe). It’s chilled overnight, becoming even more flavorful. The next day, shred the cooked corned beef and throw the hash together, then bask in your accomplishment.

Also try: Corned beef and tomato pies

You don’t have to be Irish to appreciate corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and a good, hearty stout. This roundup of our favorite Irish-inspired recipes makes us wish it was St. Patrick’s Day all year long.

You're probably right about the goats, but these goats definitely ate the grass, weeds, and whatever else grew out there. There weren't any ornamental shrubs or things like that to bother. And the vegetable garden was fenced off.
Goats are amazing. I dated a nurse and her friends at work kept passing this goat around. He would eat everything, including the bramble (thorny dense blackberry plant) and when everything was down to the nub they would give him to someone else. It was like petting a wooden statue too.

When I first read this, I thought you were going to say "Goats are amazing. I dated a goat . .. . " :lol:

Good morning everybody. I like Mondays too since I'm retired. We need them to rest up from the weekends which are usually our more hectic times now. This Monday is the day the house cleaners come though and Hombre and I were up early emptying waste receptacles, clearing out the drainer in the sink, tossing out all the catalogues and newspapers that pile up over several days, and otherwise putting the house in condition so we can pretend we are neat and orderly people all the time. :)

I wish we weren't such pack rats though. Our life would be simpler if we just had the courage to get rid of stuff that we never use or wear or even look at any more. But there's always that nagging worry in the back of our head that we might need it at some time. . . .

It's the same for me, especially when it comes to clothes and shoes. Every single time I throw out an article of clothing, it seems I find something that would go well with it like a week later, and then . . . too late. :oops:

Good morning everybody. I like Mondays too since I'm retired. We need them to rest up from the weekends which are usually our more hectic times now. This Monday is the day the house cleaners come though and Hombre and I were up early emptying waste receptacles, clearing out the drainer in the sink, tossing out all the catalogues and newspapers that pile up over several days, and otherwise putting the house in condition so we can pretend we are neat and orderly people all the time. :)

I wish we weren't such pack rats though. Our life would be simpler if we just had the courage to get rid of stuff that we never use or wear or even look at any more. But there's always that nagging worry in the back of our head that we might need it at some time. . . .
I went through my dresser and two closets and took almost 60 shirts to St Vinny's. Now I have some room in my dresser. I know I gave away T-shirts I hadn't worn in 10 years, so why keep them?

Now, in a week or 2, you will be looking for those shirts! :lol:

AA9tppo.img

And back atcha Tyrone. That looks really good. Does the dish have an official name?

It is the eve of St Patty's Day isn't it. I'll have to change my avatar after tomorrow, but everybody dust off their best Irish jokes for tomorrow.
Corned Beef Hash
This recipe is a two-step process, but nothing about it is difficult. Start by cooking the beef the day before (if you also want to have it for dinner that night, just double the recipe). It’s chilled overnight, becoming even more flavorful. The next day, shred the cooked corned beef and throw the hash together, then bask in your accomplishment.

Also try: Corned beef and tomato pies

You don’t have to be Irish to appreciate corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and a good, hearty stout. This roundup of our favorite Irish-inspired recipes makes us wish it was St. Patrick’s Day all year long.
i tried that from a can the other day. it may go well with chorizo and eggs.

I know - then when you do, even though you haven't used it in 10 or so many years, it never fails that you need it within a few weeks to a few months right after you do get rid of it :)
It never fails!!!! :biggrin:

Yesssss . . . . exactly. :)

Saturday I found myself in my basement doing battle with a monster made of cardboard. One of my many bad habits is merely tossing boxes from Amazon or Upton Tea or TCM Video into the basement without regard to disposal. Saturday I got my comeuppance. I waded into the cardboard tsunami, utility knife in hand. I cut every box into pieces no bigger than 8 1/2 x11 inches and layered them in one of the bigger boxes. Once that was full, I grabbed the biggest box and repeated the cut and layer procedure until all the errant cardboard, packing peanuts, Christmas junk and other flotsam and jetsam was cleared. Two trips to the recycling dumpsters later and I had cut through enough detritus to have enough room to fit the four poster bed that was delivered Sunday.

The bed, shown here:

resize

is unfinished Poplar. It looks like a pile of bones in my basement. I thought of finishing it in a black stain, but then I thought of how the dust would show on the top section that supports a canopy (that piece is known as a 'tester'). So now I'm thinking of a rich red wild cherry stain.

Next up, my cabinet maker is building two of these night stands:

resize

Meanwhile, I still have one closet to demolish, I have to frame up the new closets, install the safe, the cedar closet lining, the LED lighting and door switches, drywall the outside, install the dresser (which has the final color on it), install the bead board wainscoting, trim out the ceiling with the race track detail, wallpaper and paint.

As it turned out, I picked the worst time of year and the worst winter ever to do this infernal project. Here it is nearly St. Patrick's Day and I thought I'd be finished a week ago.

Very, very nice. :) Keep at it, hopefully you'll be done before the spring weather arrives and then you can relax and enjoy yourself.

It's the same for me, especially when it comes to clothes and shoes. Every single time I throw out an article of clothing, it seems I find something that would go well with it like a week later, and then . . . too late. :oops:

Actually that doesn't happen to me very often, but I always think that it might happen. :)

Hey everybody. If you object to somebody's post to the extent you think it needs moderating, please report the post and do not comment on it in the thread. This is a request from admin and they will do their job. Thanks.

Chris started it with this pussy shot.
91aa70ea5d393aec34f8aad3982598b3.jpg

It was completely innocent, I swear! :D

Forum List

Back