USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, just had another 3 hour nap, still have a mild headache, still slightly "chilled" and since yesterday it's moved into my gastrointestinal tract with a vengeance........
This bug needs to go away, now! I am so tired of this.

Well, we've been having real Alaskan weather. Beautiful, sunny days, blue skies during the day, the Aurora at night. Big problem, temps are in the single digits and even a slight wind makes that feel like murder. Of course, when you work outside all night, it becomes purely brutal. Add to my night-time schedule my "kid watch", I'm spending the better part of my waking hours in some pretty chilly conditions.
The biggest worry for me are the newborn kids. These temps will kill in a matter of minutes. If the kids manage to survive until someone comes to dry them and put them in the warming boxes, they lose their ears to frostbite. At least only two of the twelve born so far have long ears. So far, my partner and I have managed to catch all but one litter in time, so it looks like on pair of ears will be cropped by the cold, or maybe not. Five more kids were born this afternoon, it's 5F out there. All were healthy and hearty, though, and I expect them all to survive and thrive at this point. My partner will double check and make sure they have all eaten when he shows up tonight.
How is everyone else holding up?

Really doesn't seem fair, all those weeks of less than really arctic temps you had most of the winter and now when you need it to be warmer, you're getting winter weather. But I bet you'll miss those goats when you move east.

But I'm one of the apparently rare Coffee Shoppers who likes goats milk and goat cheeses--especially like to cook with goat cheese when I can get it but its not that easy to come by around here. I've never had goat meat, but I understand it's pretty good too.

For many years Hombre was the lay ministry chairman to administer our church's conference center on the Pecos near Carlsbad NM. Somewhere over 300 acres all in native grasses that grew like crazy in that area. And they didn't dare let them get tall because of the rattlesnake danger to the kids and adults at the camp. And mowing that many acres, especially during wet seasons, was just killing us. So the solution was a small herd of goats turned loose on the property. They kept it all trimmed as nice and cropped as if it had been mowed. And provided endless entertainment for the folks, especially the kids. at the camp.
Interesting is that so many people think goats are good lawn mowers. Goats are browsers, they will eat your shrubs and thorn bushes before they will eat grass, although grass is on the menu lacking anything else. I someone wants their lawn mowed, sheep are a better choice. But sheep are certainly not as intelligent nor as entertaining as goats.
As of yesterday, I have 12 new kids. The newest are still a bit wobbly but cute as buttons. I was able to catch, clean and dry all five of yesterday's additions. As cold as it's been, I am glad to have the "hot boxes", and so are those kids. You might not believe how quickly the learn to stay in the box until they are hungry. The mommas hang around outside and are usually quite accessible for lunch.
The temps have been brutal this past week, or so. When one works outside, in the dark, it is a challenge. Single digit temps are killing temps here, especially when the wind gets up. This morning, I sacrificed my "second" so that he could go help out another technician who had an actual tough situation. When it's this cold, no one should be working alone. When I left work this morning (beginning my weekend), it had started to snow. Right then, "snow" was mostly ice crystals, small and dry. If it warms up, snow will be wet and a real pain in the butt.

Well, we've been having real Alaskan weather. Beautiful, sunny days, blue skies during the day, the Aurora at night. Big problem, temps are in the single digits and even a slight wind makes that feel like murder. Of course, when you work outside all night, it becomes purely brutal. Add to my night-time schedule my "kid watch", I'm spending the better part of my waking hours in some pretty chilly conditions.
The biggest worry for me are the newborn kids. These temps will kill in a matter of minutes. If the kids manage to survive until someone comes to dry them and put them in the warming boxes, they lose their ears to frostbite. At least only two of the twelve born so far have long ears. So far, my partner and I have managed to catch all but one litter in time, so it looks like on pair of ears will be cropped by the cold, or maybe not. Five more kids were born this afternoon, it's 5F out there. All were healthy and hearty, though, and I expect them all to survive and thrive at this point. My partner will double check and make sure they have all eaten when he shows up tonight.
How is everyone else holding up?

Really doesn't seem fair, all those weeks of less than really arctic temps you had most of the winter and now when you need it to be warmer, you're getting winter weather. But I bet you'll miss those goats when you move east.

But I'm one of the apparently rare Coffee Shoppers who likes goats milk and goat cheeses--especially like to cook with goat cheese when I can get it but its not that easy to come by around here. I've never had goat meat, but I understand it's pretty good too.

For many years Hombre was the lay ministry chairman to administer our church's conference center on the Pecos near Carlsbad NM. Somewhere over 300 acres all in native grasses that grew like crazy in that area. And they didn't dare let them get tall because of the rattlesnake danger to the kids and adults at the camp. And mowing that many acres, especially during wet seasons, was just killing us. So the solution was a small herd of goats turned loose on the property. They kept it all trimmed as nice and cropped as if it had been mowed. And provided endless entertainment for the folks, especially the kids. at the camp.
Interesting is that so many people think goats are good lawn mowers. Goats are browsers, they will eat your shrubs and thorn bushes before they will eat grass, although grass is on the menu lacking anything else. I someone wants their lawn mowed, sheep are a better choice. But sheep are certainly not as intelligent nor as entertaining as goats.
As of yesterday, I have 12 new kids. The newest are still a bit wobbly but cute as buttons. I was able to catch, clean and dry all five of yesterday's additions. As cold as it's been, I am glad to have the "hot boxes", and so are those kids. You might not believe how quickly the learn to stay in the box until they are hungry. The mommas hang around outside and are usually quite accessible for lunch.
The temps have been brutal this past week, or so. When one works outside, in the dark, it is a challenge. Single digit temps are killing temps here, especially when the wind gets up. This morning, I sacrificed my "second" so that he could go help out another technician who had an actual tough situation. When it's this cold, no one should be working alone. When I left work this morning (beginning my weekend), it had started to snow. Right then, "snow" was mostly ice crystals, small and dry. If it warms up, snow will be wet and a real pain in the butt.

You're probably right about the goats, but these goats definitely ate the grass, weeds, and whatever else grew out there. There weren't any ornamental shrubs or things like that to bother. And the vegetable garden was fenced off.

Probably won't be back in tonight so I'm going to sign off early. Ya'll have a good night and we'll hope for a good day tomorrow.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Noomi!!!
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

87515c783fbf13298131b48894f74b73.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Another nice day here, supposed to be in the SEVENTIES, but a cool down coming after that. I think our average temp for this time of year is around 44, still not bad. Sure the hell beats twenty below. I think it should cool back off a little for awhile, because we don't need trees budding and plants thinking it's spring. Inevitably when that happens it does freeze again and lots of new sprouts are damaged or killed.

You're probably right about the goats, but these goats definitely ate the grass, weeds, and whatever else grew out there. There weren't any ornamental shrubs or things like that to bother. And the vegetable garden was fenced off.
Goats are amazing. I dated a nurse and her friends at work kept passing this goat around. He would eat everything, including the bramble (thorny dense blackberry plant) and when everything was down to the nub they would give him to someone else. It was like petting a wooden statue too.

Good morning everybody. I like Mondays too since I'm retired. We need them to rest up from the weekends which are usually our more hectic times now. This Monday is the day the house cleaners come though and Hombre and I were up early emptying waste receptacles, clearing out the drainer in the sink, tossing out all the catalogues and newspapers that pile up over several days, and otherwise putting the house in condition so we can pretend we are neat and orderly people all the time. :)

I wish we weren't such pack rats though. Our life would be simpler if we just had the courage to get rid of stuff that we never use or wear or even look at any more. But there's always that nagging worry in the back of our head that we might need it at some time. . . .

Good morning everybody. I like Mondays too since I'm retired. We need them to rest up from the weekends which are usually our more hectic times now. This Monday is the day the house cleaners come though and Hombre and I were up early emptying waste receptacles, clearing out the drainer in the sink, tossing out all the catalogues and newspapers that pile up over several days, and otherwise putting the house in condition so we can pretend we are neat and orderly people all the time. :)

I wish we weren't such pack rats though. Our life would be simpler if we just had the courage to get rid of stuff that we never use or wear or even look at any more. But there's always that nagging worry in the back of our head that we might need it at some time. . . .
I went through my dresser and two closets and took almost 60 shirts to St Vinny's. Now I have some room in my dresser. I know I gave away T-shirts I hadn't worn in 10 years, so why keep them?

I know - then when you do, even though you haven't used it in 10 or so many years, it never fails that you need it within a few weeks to a few months right after you do get rid of it :)
It never fails!!!! :biggrin:

Saturday I found myself in my basement doing battle with a monster made of cardboard. One of my many bad habits is merely tossing boxes from Amazon or Upton Tea or TCM Video into the basement without regard to disposal. Saturday I got my comeuppance. I waded into the cardboard tsunami, utility knife in hand. I cut every box into pieces no bigger than 8 1/2 x11 inches and layered them in one of the bigger boxes. Once that was full, I grabbed the biggest box and repeated the cut and layer procedure until all the errant cardboard, packing peanuts, Christmas junk and other flotsam and jetsam was cleared. Two trips to the recycling dumpsters later and I had cut through enough detritus to have enough room to fit the four poster bed that was delivered Sunday.

The bed, shown here:

resize

is unfinished Poplar. It looks like a pile of bones in my basement. I thought of finishing it in a black stain, but then I thought of how the dust would show on the top section that supports a canopy (that piece is known as a 'tester'). So now I'm thinking of a rich red wild cherry stain.

Next up, my cabinet maker is building two of these night stands:

resize

Meanwhile, I still have one closet to demolish, I have to frame up the new closets, install the safe, the cedar closet lining, the LED lighting and door switches, drywall the outside, install the dresser (which has the final color on it), install the bead board wainscoting, trim out the ceiling with the race track detail, wallpaper and paint.

As it turned out, I picked the worst time of year and the worst winter ever to do this infernal project. Here it is nearly St. Patrick's Day and I thought I'd be finished a week ago.

So now I'm thinking of a rich red wild cherry stain.

resize
Have you considered teaming up with the cabinet maker on the finish so it all matches? It drives woodworkers crazy when you stain a wood to look like another so make sure he doesn't have a tool in his hand if you suggest cherry.

I went through my dresser and two closets and took almost 60 shirts to St Vinny's. Now I have some room in my dresser. I know I gave away T-shirts I hadn't worn in 10 years, so why keep them?

Good morning, sweetie, 7. :D

I keep soft shirts I no longer wear for Laci's bedding. You know how cats HATE to sleep in anything that smells like something they have slept in before. They nose around smelling anything they are thinking of planting their sweet selves into and if there is a trace of their sweet smells, they lie else where. I don't know if all cats are like this, but the one I am a slave to, is for sure.. :rolleyes-41:

So now I'm thinking of a rich red wild cherry stain.

resize
Have you considered teaming up with the cabinet maker on the finish so it all matches? It drives woodworkers crazy when you stain a wood to look like another so make sure he doesn't have a tool in his hand if you suggest cherry.
Actually, he suggested a semi-transparent stain and cherry will work very well with the poplar. He said this strain of poplar (which he fells, mills and build with all from his own farm) will reveal lots of reddish hues. So, MinWax, rags and polyurethane is in my future. He built the dresser from the same poplar tree. But I had to paint that because the bi-fold doors are pine and matching color poplar to pine is dicey at best.

Forum List

Back