USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm going to the dump this morning too to take a customer's stuff and the dog park is right there so it's a doggie day as well.

I wish I still had a dog, but one pet allowed and I moved in here with her; my kitty of 13 years, and constant companion, when I am home. She doesn't take her eyes off of me and talks all the time. lol. Cats have an amazing array of voice intonations. We have bonded in the way, dogs and their owners do. For realsies.....:D

Have a great day, Icey, sweetheart. It is finally storming here but not expected to last over two days, then back to sunshine. We have not had a winter. Positive things happened though: people came to the coast and businesses prospered. :thup:
I totally agree on cats talking. They can give answers, ask questions, or just comment in general... :lol: Seriously, their meow will go UP just a person asking a question, and that's what they're doing if you pay attention, and you can ask them a question and they'll meow a response that goes DOWN, just like a person would, or they'll just meow a normal meow as if to just comment. But meows can be short, long, quiet, loud, go up, down, or any combination of all, and in reality, they are TALKING to you, and if you have your little buddy long enough, you WILL know what they're saying. You're just IN TUNE with that little critter. I do like the cats. I think they have such cool personalities.

Dogs just bark... cats talk... :D

Yes I love the way cats talk.
Dogs do too, they just do it with their bodies. :)

Ugh, I hate the way our cat 'talks'. She's so damn annoying. When we get her toy mice out from under the stove (where she ends up knocking them every time) she'll walk around, toy mouse in mouth, meowing over and over....and over.....and over. Or if I close my door at night while she's out of my room, again with the meowing over and over. Cats are supposed to be the quiet, self-sufficient pets. We've got enough noise with the dog that barks at nothing. :anj_stfu:
I hear that. My big orange tiger cat that I lost a few years ago, I got him these little plastic ribbed balls with a bell inside them, and he used to just go nuts batting them around the house. Then one time I heard him doing this guttural kind of low meow that was coming out like R,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,RRRRR.... and I thought WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HIM? I found him and he was CARRYING the damn thing in his MOUTH doing this meow... :lol: ... from then on when I'd hear him doing that I'd say it was his DEATH CALL... he'd just killed his MOUSIE... :lol:

Would you BELIEVE... the damn ground has BARELY thawed, and those FILTHY little MOLES are ALREADY pushing up RUNS IN MY YARD... :blowup:

Time to DO BATTLE! I already have TWO TRAPS SET. They made a MESS of my lawn last year. I have NO IDEA where they all came from ALL OF A SUDDEN, but there was RUNS ALL OVER. This year I'm setting traps EVERYWHERE! Enough is enough.

I'm thinking 007 may give us a whole new context to Whack-a-Mole. :)

Meanwhile, in the real estate world, ya'll weren't too enthusiastic about buying Tom Cruise's Colorado spread. So how about this one. . . .

Billed as the largest house in the world with 115 bedrooms but only 100 bathrooms, it is somewhere in the Tuscan countryside but they aren't saying exactly where.

sienacastle_3230086b.jpg

It s the world s biggest house for sale and it s top secret - Telegraph

Meanwhile, in the real estate world, ya'll weren't too enthusiastic about buying Tom Cruise's Colorado spread. So how about this one. . . .

Billed as the largest house in the world with 115 bedrooms but only 100 bathrooms, it is somewhere in the Tuscan countryside but they aren't saying exactly where.

sienacastle_3230086b.jpg

That'd be great! The entire CS could move there, or at least visit. Can I keep a few goats? It looks like great goat country.

sienacastle_3230086b.jpg

That'd be great! The entire CS could move there, or at least visit. Can I keep a few goats? It looks like great goat country.

Sure. We would just turn them loose and they would eliminate the need for somebody to mow the lawn. :)

Well, we've been having real Alaskan weather. Beautiful, sunny days, blue skies during the day, the Aurora at night. Big problem, temps are in the single digits and even a slight wind makes that feel like murder. Of course, when you work outside all night, it becomes purely brutal. Add to my night-time schedule my "kid watch", I'm spending the better part of my waking hours in some pretty chilly conditions.
The biggest worry for me are the newborn kids. These temps will kill in a matter of minutes. If the kids manage to survive until someone comes to dry them and put them in the warming boxes, they lose their ears to frostbite. At least only two of the twelve born so far have long ears. So far, my partner and I have managed to catch all but one litter in time, so it looks like on pair of ears will be cropped by the cold, or maybe not. Five more kids were born this afternoon, it's 5F out there. All were healthy and hearty, though, and I expect them all to survive and thrive at this point. My partner will double check and make sure they have all eaten when he shows up tonight.
How is everyone else holding up?

sienacastle_3230086b.jpg

Sure. We would just turn them loose and they would eliminate the need for somebody to mow the lawn. :)
Not to mention the absolutely nommie artisan cheeses we'd add to the menu.

Well, we've been having real Alaskan weather. Beautiful, sunny days, blue skies during the day, the Aurora at night. Big problem, temps are in the single digits and even a slight wind makes that feel like murder. Of course, when you work outside all night, it becomes purely brutal. Add to my night-time schedule my "kid watch", I'm spending the better part of my waking hours in some pretty chilly conditions.
The biggest worry for me are the newborn kids. These temps will kill in a matter of minutes. If the kids manage to survive until someone comes to dry them and put them in the warming boxes, they lose their ears to frostbite. At least only two of the twelve born so far have long ears. So far, my partner and I have managed to catch all but one litter in time, so it looks like on pair of ears will be cropped by the cold, or maybe not. Five more kids were born this afternoon, it's 5F out there. All were healthy and hearty, though, and I expect them all to survive and thrive at this point. My partner will double check and make sure they have all eaten when he shows up tonight.
How is everyone else holding up?

Really doesn't seem fair, all those weeks of less than really arctic temps you had most of the winter and now when you need it to be warmer, you're getting winter weather. But I bet you'll miss those goats when you move east.

But I'm one of the apparently rare Coffee Shoppers who likes goats milk and goat cheeses--especially like to cook with goat cheese when I can get it but its not that easy to come by around here. I've never had goat meat, but I understand it's pretty good too.

For many years Hombre was the lay ministry chairman to administer our church's conference center on the Pecos near Carlsbad NM. Somewhere over 300 acres all in native grasses that grew like crazy in that area. And they didn't dare let them get tall because of the rattlesnake danger to the kids and adults at the camp. And mowing that many acres, especially during wet seasons, was just killing us. So the solution was a small herd of goats turned loose on the property. They kept it all trimmed as nice and cropped as if it had been mowed. And provided endless entertainment for the folks, especially the kids. at the camp.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Of course tonight will really be 21:46:53

Well technically yes, but it won't look like that on my clocks. :)

Took us forever to get our microwave to show the time in anything other than military time.
All of my digital clocks have displayed military time since I got to work 12 hours early one time. Could have sworn my head had just hit the pillow, but it was 7:25 and I had to be at work at 8. I was working 16 on and 16 off 7 days a week at the time and had lost all track of morning vs. evening.

Took us forever to get our microwave to show the time in anything other than military time.
All of my digital clocks have displayed military time since I got to work 12 hours early one time. Could have sworn my head had just hit the pillow, but it was 7:25 and I had to be at work at 8. I was working 16 on and 16 off 7 days a week at the time and had lost all track of morning vs. evening.
Quite easy to do, done it myself which is why I did what you did and set the clock to 24 hour time eons ago. Finally set it back to 12 hour time a couple of years ago.
Up at 0400 (4am for the uninitiated) but I've been sleeping on and off since 1400 (2 pm) yesterday. Finally decided I needed sleep no matter what and bought some generic Niquil, shoulda done that a day ago.......

Would you BELIEVE... the damn ground has BARELY thawed, and those FILTHY little MOLES are ALREADY pushing up RUNS IN MY YARD... :blowup:

Time to DO BATTLE! I already have TWO TRAPS SET. They made a MESS of my lawn last year. I have NO IDEA where they all came from ALL OF A SUDDEN, but there was RUNS ALL OVER. This year I'm setting traps EVERYWHERE! Enough is enough.
I opened the blinds in the windows in the dining room this morning and what do I see outside? One of the loop mole traps has TRIPPED.

ONE DOWN and God only knows how many to go.

Last edited:
Just woke up from another 2 hour nap, other than the back hurting like hell I'm starting to feel better, maybe it just getting the rest I need.

Good morning everybody....it is still morning, just barely, here in the mountain west. Back from church and brunch and already doing laundry in preparation for the house cleaning crew in the morning. I used to laugh at people who cleaned before the cleaners came. I don't anymore.

So hope everybody is having a good Sunday. A bright blue cloudless day with cool sweater weather but no coats needed. I wish it could stay like this year round except we do need a rain shower now and then.

Mine do too -- I just don't call it "military" since it's not related to that.
I've used 24h displays since I lived in Europe, where it's normal. Helps you get on the right train for one thing.

But digital clocks carry another hazard:
One time I had gone to another city for a period of work; drove in the day before and settled in my crash pad where I would be the next week. The first morning, my eyes opened, hadn't heard an alarm but I saw daylight coming in the window. Hmm, should I be seeing sunlight berfore I get up? Having traveled to a different time zone I wasn't sure, so I looked at my alarm clock...

"8:09".

"8:09?? :ack-1:

Shit! I'm supposed to be onsite at 8! How does this happen!? I never heard an alarm!"
I frantically get up, turn the lights on, grab my clothes, start thinking about how I'm going to explain...

then I pick up the alarm clock again to see what went wrong...

"6:08"

I was reading it upside down.

:banghead:

Mine do too -- I just don't call it "military" since it's not related to that.
I've used 24h displays since I lived in Europe, where it's normal. Helps you get on the right train for one thing.

But digital clocks carry another hazard:
One time I had gone to another city for a period of work; drove in the day before and settled in my crash pad where I would be the next week. The first morning, my eyes opened, hadn't heard an alarm but I saw daylight coming in the window. Hmm, should I be seeing sunlight berfore I get up? Having traveled to a different time zone I wasn't sure, so I looked at my alarm clock...

"8:09".

"8:09?? :ack-1:

Shit! I'm supposed to be onsite at 8! How does this happen!? I never heard an alarm!"
I frantically get up, turn the lights on, grab my clothes, start thinking about how I'm going to explain...

then I pick up the alarm clock again to see what went wrong...

"6:08"

I was reading it upside down.

:banghead:

LOL. I don't know if everybody will admit it, but I would bet a good steak dinner that there isn't a single one of us who at one time or another didn't arrive early or late for something important just because we read the clock wrong. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
LOL. I don't know if everybody will admit it, but I would bet a good steak dinner that there isn't a single one of us who at one time or another didn't arrive early or late for something important just because we read the clock wrong. :)
Many years ago, I had an employee show up for work an hour early because he didn't "fall back" with his clock for daylight savings time. Come "Spring Forward", he was an hour late to work. I didn't get him in trouble for being late due to his consitency with clock changes but I had fun screwing with him about it.

My eldest had a job that was pretty decent, she was making the median salary for an individual in this city. Not bad for a 27 year old with no college degree.
She got a new job. 50% salary increase and 4 weeks vacation.
Am I allowed to be proud?

Absolutely Dad is allowed to be proud. And you can take at least some credit for her self assurance, ambition, and work ethic too. :)

Forum List

Back