USMB Coffee Shop IV

CL is a pain in the ass, but sometimes I get lucky. This time I did. Mr. Gracie found an outside COPPER firepit. Damn things are expensive but he got it for a buck. I sold it for 25 bucks. Also sold an old dresser. So...in essence, my privacy fence really just cost me about 45 bucks.

Rock Your Socks for World Down Syndrome Day

The date for World Down Syndrome Day, being the 21st day of the 3rd month, was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which leads to Down syndrome.

On March 21, wear bold, brightly colored, mismatched socks.
You will probably get asked,“What’s with the socks?” That question will give you the perfect opportunity to explain that 3/21 is World Down Syndrome Day, and that you are celebrating all the wonderful things about people with Down syndrome while helping to advocate for individual rights, inclusion, and respect.
Down Syndrome children frequently choose mismatched socks because the concept of matching clothing colors is foreign to them.

Everyday, I wear wild, bold and fun socks (all the cool kids are doing it) because they are one of the few things not covered by the office dress code. Since 3/21 occurs on a Saturday this year, many of us at the office will be 'rocking our socks' on Friday the 20th. I will definately have wild and mismatched socks. I'm thinking one bacon sock and one dinosaur/taco sock.
View attachment 37990 View attachment 37991
I wear cowboy boots. I never worry about matching my socks.

I go barefoot. Socks make my feet hot. I HATE hot feet. Problem is, I now have two small holes in the bottom of both feet from stepping on something that I can't see so either i got whatever it was out and it just won't heal, or its buried deep in the fatty part of the bottom of my foot. So, I am doomed with uggs...and its too damn hot for uggs.

Talk about holes!
Max's boy celebrated his 5th birthday today. One of his gifts was a toy plane with a tiny electric motor. By design, the thing shouldn't fly more than 50 feet of so, but a puff of wind caught it and it headed off to a neighbor's yard 100 yards away. We watched it going down and all figured we knew about where to look. When I got over there, the yard had a patch of yucca maybe 20 x 50 feet. If you've never seen yucca, imagine an aloe plant, but instead of soft, fleshy leaves, the leaves on yucca are hard and stiff and very sharp. It was like wading into a pile of millions of daggers.
One got my eye lid, narrowly missing blinding me and another got me in the forehead and another 10 got me on my arms.
In actuality, the plane had just cleared the yucca and stopped in a small tree maybe 5 feet off the ground. I triumphantly returned with the toy and spent the next 20 minutes dabbing myself with a cotton ball soaked with alcohol.
I'll likely heal up soon.

Ouch. I know all about yucca plants. Hate 'em. Glad you got the airplane back though. Years ago, Ma used to by sis and my hubbys those gas helicopter toys for xmas presents. Kept the guys outside all damn day trying to get them to fly and us gals could just kick back and not have to entertain them so they wouldn't be bored. And yes, they got them to fly eventually..but always managed to land them in the yuccas Ma kept in the yard for some stupid reason.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Noomi!!!
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

87515c783fbf13298131b48894f74b73.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Somewhere back one of my royal (Norwegian) ancestors probably picked up an Irish servant girl for sport........ Or was it one of the royal English ancestors.....? :dunno:
Eventually it all got mixed up with Flemish and Native American......... We don't discuss the lapse in judgement that inadvertently included Irish into the bloodline...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

So "Geronimo O'hara", how did the househunting go? And are you feeling better? Well enough to go off the critical list on the Vigil List? I was thinking if I was ya'll I would be looking for a place to rent that you loved with an option to buy for a few months until you're sure you're going to love it there. But if the housing market is strong there, it probably won't matter.
Pretty much didn't like anything we saw later yesterday afternoon, a couple that looked really good in pictures turned out to be pigs in lipstick in person. We'll finish out the search later this morning after the wife finishes her pre-employment physical.
The idea is to rent the best and biggest house we can for the least amount of money then start looking at short sales and do a reno so it's ready by the time the lease is up.

Last edited:
Talk about holes!
Max's boy celebrated his 5th birthday today. One of his gifts was a toy plane with a tiny electric motor. By design, the thing shouldn't fly more than 50 feet of so, but a puff of wind caught it and it headed off to a neighbor's yard 100 yards away. We watched it going down and all figured we knew about where to look. When I got over there, the yard had a patch of yucca maybe 20 x 50 feet. If you've never seen yucca, imagine an aloe plant, but instead of soft, fleshy leaves, the leaves on yucca are hard and stiff and very sharp. It was like wading into a pile of millions of daggers.
One got my eye lid, narrowly missing blinding me and another got me in the forehead and another 10 got me on my arms.
In actuality, the plane had just cleared the yucca and stopped in a small tree maybe 5 feet off the ground. I triumphantly returned with the toy and spent the next 20 minutes dabbing myself with a cotton ball soaked with alcohol.

I'm amazed that you have yucca in lower Alabama. I wouldn't think it would do well in that kind of humidity and high amounts of rainfall. Live and learn.

Somewhere back one of my royal (Norwegian) ancestors probably picked up an Irish servant girl for sport........ Or was it one of the royal English ancestors.....? :dunno:
Eventually it all got mixed up with Flemish and Native American......... We don't discuss the lapse in judgement that inadvertently included Irish into the bloodline...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

So "Geronimo O'hara", how did the househunting go? And are you feeling better? Well enough to go off the critical list on the Vigil List? I was thinking if I was ya'll I would be looking for a place to rent that you loved with an option to buy for a few months until you're sure you're going to love it there. But if the housing market is strong there, it probably won't matter.
Pretty much didn't like anything we saw later yesterday afternoon, a couple that looked really good in pictures turned out to be pigs in lipstick in person. We'll finish out the search later this morning after the wife finishes her pre-employment physical.
The idea is to rent the best and biggest house we can for the least amount of money then start looking at short sales and do a reno so it's ready by the time the lease is up.

Sounds like a plan. Hope you find just what you're looking for.

Oh and good morning everybody. Here were are again at yet another Wednesday. It seems like it has only been two or three days since I mentioned that it was Wednesday. The weeks are going by so fast it all is kind of a blur.

On the bright side, our state senate voted to fix New Mexico's time so that we have DST year round. I wish they had made it standard time but I'll settle for DST just to keep from having the time change twice a year. Still has to pass the House but if it does, I'm pretty sure Governor Susana will sign it. There is definitely a downside to having DST year round though as our local news people have been pointing out--it would put New Mexico as a state unto itself in the Mountain Zone and mess with certain business and sports and scheduling elsewhere.

Last edited:
Talk about holes!

I'm amazed that you have yucca in lower Alabama. I wouldn't think it would do well in that kind of humidity and high amounts of rainfall. Live and learn.
It grows well. Some of the plants/bushes/trees were 6 feet tall. I'm seeing more holes this morning, probably 20 small stab wounds in all.
No reaction so far, though I've been warned.

The date for World Down Syndrome Day, being the 21st day of the 3rd month, was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which leads to Down syndrome.

You will probably get asked,“What’s with the socks?” That question will give you the perfect opportunity to explain that 3/21 is World Down Syndrome Day, and that you are celebrating all the wonderful things about people with Down syndrome while helping to advocate for individual rights, inclusion, and respect.
Down Syndrome children frequently choose mismatched socks because the concept of matching clothing colors is foreign to them.

Everyday, I wear wild, bold and fun socks (all the cool kids are doing it) because they are one of the few things not covered by the office dress code. Since 3/21 occurs on a Saturday this year, many of us at the office will be 'rocking our socks' on Friday the 20th. I will definately have wild and mismatched socks. I'm thinking one bacon sock and one dinosaur/taco sock.

Hey, I wear combat boots and I always match my socks. :p

Hey, I wear combat boots and I always match my socks. :p

Well it is getting really personal but I will confess that since my socks never show when I wear them, I don't worry about it all that much if they aren't a perfect match--I do try to keep them the same color.

There was one time when I needed a special item for breakfast. It was winter and still dark at 6 a.m. and I didn't want to wake Hombre so I quickly dressed in the dark and ran to the store that opened at 6 a.m. Probably everybody in the store saw it but finally the very brave guy sacking the groceries pointed to my shoes. I had on one white sneaker and one otherwise identical but navy blue sneaker.

Forum List

Back