USMB Coffee Shop IV

stplep-title1.gif

Oh great, it's 'lets pretend we're Irish just to have an excuse to get drunk and drive" day.

Stay safe everyone!!
Being of Irish descent, I do not need a special day to have an excuse to drink. I do restrict my alcohol consumption to times when I am settled at home for the evening, so no drunk driving. Sorry to disappoint.

If you were a "poor" student, living at some place on 17-mile-drive, you were in someone's basement or "carriage" house. But it is a wonderful piece of heaven-on-Earth, fer sheure!!
Yes, I rented a small room by a lady's swimming pool. Heaven on Earth if you poop money. It was a good experience for me though. I learned from first hand that rich people aren't necessarily happy people. Many were miserable and would talk about what the neighbor's had. Two Benz's versus their one, etc. Cheap, hated to pay for labor. I got real tired of it but not the scenery!
Last time I was in Monterey, I looked at a couple of basement "apartments" in Carmel. Real dumps for real money. I ended up in an efficiency apartment in Pacific Grove. Scenery's pretty nice out that way, too. And it was closer to the Presidio. I often drove along Asilomar on my motorcycle, especially in the evenings at sunset. The northern entrance to 17-mile-drive was at the end of Asilomar. The whole area is breathtaking beautiful. But then, so is where I am now. It's like living in a postcard here and I cannot imagine living anywhere else now.

YES!!!!!
Spring is finally here in South East Arizona.
Our Hummingbirds have come back.
Saw the first one about an hour ago and he was looking in at me through the window.
I made up the sugar water and several are happily dinking their fill. :)

Somewhere back one of my royal (Norwegian) ancestors probably picked up an Irish servant girl for sport........ Or was it one of the royal English ancestors.....? :dunno:
Eventually it all got mixed up with Flemish and Native American......... We don't discuss the lapse in judgement that inadvertently included Irish into the bloodline...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

Was out all day looking at houses, found 2 we sorta liked, one was really too far away (west side) and the other was kinda small, (east side). Been doing some more online searches, found one we love but it's further west, in Santa Theresa, NM and a couple others we like in the east part of town. We'll do some more physical looking at properties tomorrow after she's done with here work thing, may head home very late or wait until Thursday to go home.

Somewhere back one of my royal (Norwegian) ancestors probably picked up an Irish servant girl for sport........ Or was it one of the royal English ancestors.....? :dunno:
Eventually it all got mixed up with Flemish and Native American......... We don't discuss the lapse in judgement that inadvertently included Irish into the bloodline...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

So "Geronimo O'hara", how did the househunting go? And are you feeling better? Well enough to go off the critical list on the Vigil List? I was thinking if I was ya'll I would be looking for a place to rent that you loved with an option to buy for a few months until you're sure you're going to love it there. But if the housing market is strong there, it probably won't matter.

It really is beautiful. Our daughter just recently moved back there from DC--lives in a bedroom community just outside Monterey and works in Monterey. So we're looking forward to going for a visit sometime this summer. She had lived for years in a bedroom community of Santa Cruz and had commuted to Monterey before her transfer to DC.
I grew up just outside the city limits of Santa Cruz. Redwood trees all around the house I grew up in. By the time I became an adult, property and housing prices had skyrocketed and I felt there was no way I could ever afford a home, so the wife and I moved to a more affordable area of the country. I still get back there about once a year to visit my parents and my sister. It's funny, my sister moved to Hawaii when she turned 18 and stayed there for about 30 years and now she is back in Santa Cruz. She does plan on retiring to Hawaii though.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everybody! Don't forget to wear something green today so you don't get pinched. Mrs. BBD is going to fix me up with some corned beef and cabbage today. There is no Saint Patrick's Day parade in the little town that I live near so later this afternoon Taco and I are going to have our own parade and march around our yard for a little while. Then we might have a nip or two of some Irish whiskey and sing some Irish songs. Mrs. BBD will be gone for the majority of the day down to the church to quilt with all the church ladies. She won't know about our parade or Taco and I having a couple of nips of the Irish whiskey. We plan on keeping it our little secret.
You reminded me of something that happenned back when I was in high school.
One St. Patrick's Day my twin brother forgot to wear green (of course, me being the evil brother of the pair, I didn't remind him). So, we are walking into our physics class and this guy pinches my brother on the inside of his upper arm (that's a tender area) and loudly proclaims. "You're not wearing green". The guy had on a green shirt that said "Kiss me, I'm Irish". My brother turns and just punches the guy in the center of his chest as hard as he could. I may be over stating, but I'm pretty sure the guy flew backwards about five feet before landing on his ass. Then my brother said, "I'm German, not Irish, consider that a German kiss". Everybody in the classroom laughed.

Everybody talking about their experiences living in California makes me even more eager to get out to see our daughter. We absolutely loved seeing the red woods and exploring the tide pools and driving along the coastal highway all up and down the central California coast--picturesque lighthouses, elephant seals, monarch butterfly migrations, Big Sur, all of it. But there seems to be no place where you can just get out and be by yourself like there is here. There are people everywhere, heavy traffic on every road. Lying in bed at night you can actually feel or sense the constant motion of millions and millions of people on the move. Everywhere you go it is crowded.

It's just not for this small town girl who sometimes needs her space and broad horizons just to be.

Everybody talking about their experiences living in California makes me even more eager to get out to see our daughter. We absolutely loved seeing the red woods and exploring the tide pools and driving along the coastal highway all up and down the central California coast--picturesque lighthouses, elephant seals, monarch butterfly migrations, Big Sur, all of it. But there seems to be no place where you can just get out and be by yourself like there is here. There are people everywhere, heavy traffic on every road. Lying in bed at night you can actually feel or sense the constant motion of millions and millions of people on the move. Everywhere you go it is crowded.

It's just not for this small town girl who sometimes needs her space and broad horizons just to be.
Yeah, well...that's Cali for ya!

Santa Cruz is a small town with big city traffic and people everywhere, I know, I lived in Santa Cruz and now I live in a big city. It's a tourist destination during spring, summer and fall, so is Monterey. It's slightly better during winter, but not by much. Winter weekdays you can travel Highway 1 between Monterey and Pacifica and find quiet sections to enjoy. Get lunch or dinner at Duarte's Tavern in Pescadaro, the Green Chile and Artichoke Soup is heaven in a bowl, it is a mixture of their green chile soup and their artichoke soup. Pair it with the abalone sandwich split between you and your hombre. Alternatively, one of you could get the artichoke soup and the other the green chile soup, but I prefer them mixed.

YES!!!!!
Spring is finally here in South East Arizona.
Our Hummingbirds have come back.
Saw the first one about an hour ago and he was looking in at me through the window.
I made up the sugar water and several are happily dinking their fill. :)

Awesome. We don't see them around here until around May. I love hummingbirds! :)

Got the wood today. Total cost to build my privacy fence for one little section was 107 bucks. Good thing I sold a few things on craigslist!

Forum List

Back