USMB Coffee Shop IV

I tried to mow the lawn today for the first time post-winter. I filled the tank with gas, pulled the cord....again....again....over and over, nothing. Now, I don't enjoy mowing the lawn, but once I've decided to do it, I'd like the stupid lawn mower to work!

I don't know if the gas is too old (it's been in the gas container in the garage all winter) or what, but it sucks. And I don't actually know what to do with the old gas if it has gone stale (or however old gas that doesn't ignite well is described). Is there a particular way to dispose of it? I don't drive, I only ever deal with this kind of silliness with the lawn mower.

I am not a fan of the combustion engine. Everything should be electric! :lol:
Your lawn requires mowing? Holy cow!!! Our lawns are still coated with sheets of ice.

lol. I "mowed" my tiny lawn with hedge clippers and scissors. Took me all of 30 minutes. I enjoyed it though. Sat out on the grass and just cut around me. Then moved and there was a round spot of tufted grass all smooshed down and that was the last of the snipping.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everybody! Don't forget to wear something green today so you don't get pinched. Mrs. BBD is going to fix me up with some corned beef and cabbage today. There is no Saint Patrick's Day parade in the little town that I live near so later this afternoon Taco and I are going to have our own parade and march around our yard for a little while. Then we might have a nip or two of some Irish whiskey and sing some Irish songs. Mrs. BBD will be gone for the majority of the day down to the church to quilt with all the church ladies. She won't know about our parade or Taco and I having a couple of nips of the Irish whiskey. We plan on keeping it our little secret.

Morning !

e4b7692a753da25adc32cbf6f98ac997.jpg

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everybody! Don't forget to wear something green today so you don't get pinched. Mrs. BBD is going to fix me up with some corned beef and cabbage today. There is no Saint Patrick's Day parade in the little town that I live near so later this afternoon Taco and I are going to have our own parade and march around our yard for a little while. Then we might have a nip or two of some Irish whiskey and sing some Irish songs. Mrs. BBD will be gone for the majority of the day down to the church to quilt with all the church ladies. She won't know about our parade or Taco and I having a couple of nips of the Irish whiskey. We plan on keeping it our little secret.

This Irish lass thanks you and wishes you the same. Happy-happy day. It WILL be what we make it.

I love corned beef ( brisket ) and cabbage. Spinach, too. All foods except cooked carrots. I like raw carrots but when they are cooked they become too sweet for my taste buds. :D

lol..I am lovin` the image of you and Taco celebrating this special day, in the lives of many. :thup:

If you were a "poor" student, living at some place on 17-mile-drive, you were in someone's basement or "carriage" house. But it is a wonderful piece of heaven-on-Earth, fer sheure!!
Yes, I rented a small room by a lady's swimming pool. Heaven on Earth if you poop money. It was a good experience for me though. I learned from first hand that rich people aren't necessarily happy people. Many were miserable and would talk about what the neighbor's had. Two Benz's versus their one, etc. Cheap, hated to pay for labor. I got real tired of it but not the scenery!

This Irish lass thanks you and wishes you the same. Happy-happy day. It WILL be what we make it.

I love corned beef ( brisket ) and cabbage. Spinach, too. All foods except cooked carrots. I like raw carrots but when they are cooked they become too sweet for my taste buds. :D

lol..I am lovin` the image of you and Taco celebrating this special day, in the lives of many. :thup:

I love cooked carrots. Sweet?? I have a recipe for candied carrots that are cooked in brown sugar and butter. Yummmmm!!! :p

And back atcha Tyrone. That looks really good. Does the dish have an official name?

It is the eve of St Patty's Day isn't it. I'll have to change my avatar after tomorrow, but everybody dust off their best Irish jokes for tomorrow.
Corned Beef Hash
This recipe is a two-step process, but nothing about it is difficult. Start by cooking the beef the day before (if you also want to have it for dinner that night, just double the recipe). It’s chilled overnight, becoming even more flavorful. The next day, shred the cooked corned beef and throw the hash together, then bask in your accomplishment.

Also try: Corned beef and tomato pies

You don’t have to be Irish to appreciate corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and a good, hearty stout. This roundup of our favorite Irish-inspired recipes makes us wish it was St. Patrick’s Day all year long.

I always have corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's. :) I don't really like cabbage much though. I put a lot of vinegar on it.

I do that with spinach, the more vinegar on it the better. :)
I also don't like cooked cabbage. Love the corned beef and potato's, carrots.

Me too. Spinach is nasty cooked alone. I can have it mixed with things. I love spinach, cheese and artichoke dip. MY GOD, that is SO delicious. I can also eat spinach quiche and most things that have spinach in them, just not alone.

Cabbage is just kind of slimy and not that great, IMO. My mother used to make me eat it on St. Patrick's day though, lol, so I would drown it in vinegar and now I can tolerate it with vinegar on it. :)
Try colcannon, use cabbage instead of kale.

Thanks, but I don't think I could stomach cabbage mixed with mashed potatoes. LOL. :D

I love cooked carrots. Sweet?? I have a recipe for candied carrots that are cooked in brown sugar and butter. Yummmmm!!! :p

I like sweet potatoes cooked that way. YYYYUUUMMM. Baked to perfection.

The sun is right now ( 8:30am PT ) streaming in my windows after two days of my favorite kind of weather, soft rain, mist, medium winds and that fresh smell of the sea.
I poured here all weekend and cancelled all my outdoor plans. I got about 5" in a 5 gallon bucket, even for us mossbacks that's a lot.
Hey there, Icey. :) Yes the weather in the PNW over the weekend didn't lend itself to outdoor activities, but it sure looked good, as the mist lay between the various sized trees outside my windows. Work is often good too, in that kind of weather as people drive to the coast and since they can't go to the beaches for sun and surf, they hit the stores. :D :thup: I love to say, Welcome, as they stroll in.
I do like the coast, the Oregon coast is the best! Further south the better it gets. I have a lot of shots over the years, Bandon is my favorite. But like many artsy places the money moves in and the artists move to the outskirts. Carmel was a really good example, I had to rent a small room by someone's swimming pool!

Carmel, California? It is one of the world's really picturesque and quaint places and I loved it. Had lunch at Clint Eastwood's Hogsbreath Inn and enjoyed walking on the shoreline. They have a lot of quirky little laws that are interesting. Such as the one making it illegal to eat an icecream cone outside on the public walks or streets--keeps the place tidy and neat it was explained to me.

And if you mean a different Carmel oh well. Still brought back a flood of pleasant memories.
I loved Carmel. I actually lived in Monterey, but spent a lot of time in Carmel, among other locales. The entire area is marvelous and beautiful beyond description.

It really is beautiful. Our daughter just recently moved back there from DC--lives in a bedroom community just outside Monterey and works in Monterey. So we're looking forward to going for a visit sometime this summer. She had lived for years in a bedroom community of Santa Cruz and had commuted to Monterey before her transfer to DC.

I like sweet potatoes cooked that way. YYYYUUUMMM. Baked to perfection.

I usually boil mine and then mash them up with lots of butter, and a little salt and pepper. That is my preferred way to eat sweet taters. :D Kind of plain but I like them that way.

Oh great, it's 'lets pretend we're Irish just to have an excuse to get drunk and drive" day.

Stay safe everyone!!

I don't have to pretend I'm Irish--definitely am along with some Scotch, English, and Welsh on my mother's side with one branch being pronouncedly Austrian/German. Hombre's ancesters were much more strongly Irish. But indulging in adult beverages for us on St. Patty's day (or any other time) is a thing of the past for us so we just have fun with all the tradition and lore.

Oh, and happy house hunting. I hope you find exactly what you want close to Mrs. R's work and at a price you want to pay.

img_page-01.jpg

Last edited:
Oh great, it's 'lets pretend we're Irish just to have an excuse to get drunk and drive" day.

Stay safe everyone!!

I don't have to pretend I'm Irish--definitely am along with some Scotch, English, and Welsh on my mother's side. Hombre's ancesters were much more strongly Irish. But indulging in adult beverages for us on St. Patty's day (or any other time) is a thing of the past for us so we just have fun with all the tradition and lore.

img_page-01.jpg

I have Irish on both sides of my family, as well as Polish, Italian, Welsh, and Canadian Indian. There might be some English in there somewhere too. I guess my family really got around. :lol:

Forum List

Back