USMB Coffee Shop IV

Isn't it fitting, eh? An American aircraft carrier sitting within spitting distance of Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar, HMS Victory, a 104-gun Man of War.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

And seeing this would be a real treat too. :)

I have been on board the victory.

Isn't it fitting, eh? An American aircraft carrier sitting within spitting distance of Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar, HMS Victory, a 104-gun Man of War.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

So have I, several times. She's docked about twenty minutes away from where we live. After I poached Lady Swagger from the colonies she was eager to see all things old in the UK and on the continent. Castles, Iron Age earthworks, mosaics, etc., and when she learned that arguably the most iconic warship from the age of sail was docked in the neighbouring county I was dragged out for her to explore (and buy tat from the gift shop to send back to her parents). I've even been there when they rig the canons with pyrotechnics and they simulate a rollong broadside.

Foxfyre, the internet tells me that Portsmouth is the first stop on a global voyage.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

So have I, several times. She's docked about twenty minutes away from where we live. After I poached Lady Swagger from the colonies she was eager to see all things old in the UK and on the continent. Castles, Iron Age earthworks, mosaics, etc., and when she learned that arguably the most iconic warship from the age of sail was docked in the neighbouring county I was dragged out for her to explore (and buy tat from the gift shop to send back to her parents). I've even been there when they rig the canons with pyrotechnics and they simulate a rollong broadside.

Foxfyre, the internet tells me that Portsmouth is the first stop on a global voyage.

I stopped off in Plymouth on a motorcycle tour of the south coast and checked out the victory.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

I stopped off in Plymouth on a motorcycle tour of the south coast and checked out the victory.

You mean Portsmouth. That's where she's docked.

I went down the coast from Weston super mare, and went to lands end. From there I worked my way back up the south coast to hastings. I stopped at bed and breakfast places for a couple on nights. I did a very quick tour of the isle of White. I rode all the way around it in about an hour.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

Oh yea, probably, it was years ago.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

I've been aboard the HMS VICTORY!!! Years ago, when I was in the Navy, a ship I was stationed aboard pulled into Portsmouth, England and several of my pals and I toured the HMS VICTORY. I still have a mug that I purchased while on the tour. The mug has an inscription that states "England expects that every man will do his duty." I enjoyed my stay in Portsmouth and it's the very first time I consumed fish and chips.

HMS-Victory-facts.jpg

I've been aboard the HMS VICTORY!!! Years ago, when I was in the Navy, a ship I was stationed aboard pulled into Portsmouth, England and several of my pals and I toured the HMS VICTORY. I still have a mug that I purchased while on the tour. The mug has an inscription that states "England expects that every man will do his duty." I enjoyed my stay in Portsmouth and it's the very first time I consumed fish and chips.

I was impressed that Nelsons cabin at the back of the ship had a couple of gun ports. They moved the dining tables out of the way and rolled in cannons when they went into action.

OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE BITCH ABOUT THE WEATHER CLUB.

I woke up this morning to about 3 inches of snow on the ground and it has been snowing all day here. I am not impressed. I am depressed. It's times like this that can easily make me grumpy. Is this God's idea of a joke? It's spring for heaven's sake! I need more coffee...

Seedlings are sprouting, eggs are piling up, and the lambs are almost ready for the auction house. Here's hoping everyone's Spring season is even better than mine so far.

Seedlings are sprouting, eggs are piling up, and the lambs are almost ready for the auction house. Here's hoping everyone's Spring season is even better than mine so far.

Um, I'm thinking you better say that really quietly so BBD doesn't hear you. He might be tempted to bite you on the ankle. :)

I woke up this morning to about 3 inches of snow on the ground and it has been snowing all day here. I am not impressed. I am depressed. It's times like this that can easily make me grumpy. Is this God's idea of a joke? It's spring for heaven's sake! I need more coffee...
Sorry to hear that BBD, it's pretty nice here.

Serenity-Pool-at-the-Four-Seasons-Maui.jpg

Oddly enough, just about the time you were posting this, I happened to run across the Old Farmer's Almanac weather forecasts for the upper Midwest, and that forecast is:

Mar 19-27: Snow, then flurries, cold; Mar 28-31: Sunny, turning warm.

Since they seemed to have hit the forecast for your area right now, you will be happy to know they're forecasting temps 4 degrees above normal for your area in April.

Okay, I've held my tongue for many months now, but its time to get this out into the open.

What is it with the guys and the unshaven look? Not mustaches. Not beards. Just the appearance that the guy is trying to grow one and is just getting started? But it never develops? How do you guys do that? Not shave but not grow the full beard either?

And ladies, do you like this unshaven but not bearded look?

Okay, I've held my tongue for many months now, but its time to get this out into the open.

What is it with the guys and the unshaven look? Not mustaches. Not beards. Just the appearance that the guy is trying to grow one and is just getting started? But it never develops? How do you guys do that? Not shave but not grow the full beard either?

I only do that when I'm being lazy and not shaving, or actually trying to grow a full beard. The lazy part happens often enough; I have no social life, so no one to look clean cut for. :lol: I've only rarely tried to grow a beard. I actually did that not too long ago because the little one asked me to. It got shaved after a couple of months and never actually grew into a beard, more of a long scruff. I don't have good facial hair for a full beard. I'll stick to a Van Dyke kind of look. :p

Last edited:
Apparently the 2-day beard growth look is not all that easy to accomplish and can be expensive:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/29/f...l=1&adxnnlx=1427133380-n7Yd+x6FYeCxM1bG7lSJcQ

But I still don't know how they keep the 2-day growth look without the beard they let grow becoming an actual beard. Little teensy lawn mowers set at just the right height to leave just the right amount of stubble?

LOL, you can get shavers with settings for how much they cut. I guess that's kind of like a lawn mower. :p

Lol! It's known as designer stubble and it's very trendy. I have the stubble look at the moment, but it will have to come off before I go back to work in a few weeks time. It's kept to the desired length by using a stubble shaver that can be adjusted to give varying lengths. Most of the ladies I know seem to like it.

Lol! It's known as designer stubble and it's very trendy. I have the stubble look at the moment, but it will have to come off before I go back to work in a few weeks time. It's kept to the desired length by using a stubble shaver that can be adjusted to give varying lengths. Most of the ladies I know seem to like it.

Well it certainly is trendy for sure since it is hard to find a guy on TV anymore who isn't supporting that look. Maybe if I was closer to your age I would like it better. It isn't a turn off for me, but I can't say that its a turn on either. Some of those guys I really want to hand a razor. :)

I'll get used to it though. There are a lot of fashion trends I used to really hate that now seem perfectly normal and acceptable.

Well it certainly is trendy for sure since it is hard to find a guy on TV anymore who isn't supporting that look. Maybe if I was closer to your age I would like it better. It isn't a turn off for me, but I can't say that its a turn on either. Some of those guys I really want to hand a razor. :)

Hey Foxy, you're sounding just like my mum! :)

Forum List

Back