USMB Coffee Shop IV

I need a room dedicated specifically for the wifes books........ This one might, just might fill the bill........

Inside-Trinity-College-Library.png

LOL. I have a LOT of books too. :)

I have been buying books from Amazon recently. I have purchased some books I used to have years ago but lost in my travels, and some books of interest to me. The last purchase I made was ' the art of war' by Sun Tzu
Before that I purchased ' The Egyptian book of the dead' and 'Daemonologie' by King James.

Since I got my Kindle, I am not buying many books that you put on a shelf. I read voraciously, but the new books are all stored on the E-reader or in the cloud where I can still access them. They cost a fraction of what it costs to buy the bound book and I like having a substantial library with me whereever I go.

I need a room dedicated specifically for the wifes books........ This one might, just might fill the bill........

I have been buying books from Amazon recently. I have purchased some books I used to have years ago but lost in my travels, and some books of interest to me. The last purchase I made was ' the art of war' by Sun Tzu
Before that I purchased ' The Egyptian book of the dead' and 'Daemonologie' by King James.

Since I got my Kindle, I am not buying many books that you put on a shelf. I read voraciously, but the new books are all stored on the E-reader or in the cloud where I can still access them. They cost a fraction of what it costs to buy the bound book and I like having a substantial library with me whereever I go.

Do you mean they cost less than hardcover books? It seems to me that ebooks go for right around the same cost as a paperback. It's better to get the free, out of copywrite books. :p

I do like reading text on my 19 inch lcd computer screen But only because I need new reading glasses and books are harder to read from. I actually prefer the bound books, and I like to sit in my library surrounded by a large collection of hardback books. What I need now is a lectern to put my heavy antiquarian books on . I have a three volume book of martyrs by John Fox , dated 1632.

Also in my library I have a collection of over two thousand 3d Victorian stereo cards that I inherited from an uncle.

Do you mean they cost less than hardcover books? It seems to me that ebooks go for right around the same cost as a paperback. It's better to get the free, out of copywrite books. :p

The most I ever pay for an e-book is $9.99 and those won't be out in paperback yet--most I get for $1.99 or so and many are free. And the Kindle is much easier to carry around than even a paperback James Michener novel plus I have a Bible, a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a number of other reference books, calendar, lists of names, phone numbers, etc. plus whatever I am reading for fun at my fingertips at all times. And since we are out of space for more books in our house, it allows me to acquire books to my hearts content without concerns about what to do with them or forcing me to get rid of some to make room for more.

Last edited:

The most I ever pay for an e-book is $9.99 and those won't be out in paperback yet--most I get for $1.99 or so and many are free. And the Kindle is much easier to carry around than even a paperback James Michener novel plus I have a Bible, a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a number of other reference books, calendar, lists of names, phone numbers, etc. plus whatever I am reading for fun at my fingertips at all times. And since we are out of space for more books in our house, it allows me to acquire books to my hearts content without concerns about what to do with them or forcing me to get rid of some to make room for more.

I love the Kindle. Saves a ton of space. I never liked hardcover books, though. I only got them when they were in the discount bin at the book store. Paperbacks are so much more comfortable to read than hardcovers, and cheaper. So if we're talking new books, I feel like there isn't much, if any, savings getting them for the Kindle as opposed to a paperback. I haven't bought a paperback in a long time, though, so I'm not sure where the prices are at today.

I love the Kindle. Saves a ton of space. I never liked hardcover books, though. I only got them when they were in the discount bin at the book store. Paperbacks are so much more comfortable to read than hardcovers, and cheaper. So if we're talking new books, I feel like there isn't much, if any, savings getting them for the Kindle as opposed to a paperback. I haven't bought a paperback in a long time, though, so I'm not sure where the prices are at today.

You can easily pay $7 to $9 or more for a popular paperback book these days. And by the time a book comes out in paperback, the Kindle prices will almost always be at least several dollars cheaper than buying the paperback book.

The only real disadvantage I have found with the e-books is that the pages aren't numbered because we all set the size of the type on the page differently. So it is more difficult to quickly get back to a paragraph you want to reread or a fact you want to look up. But nothing much is ever perfect.

I love REAL books. I love how they smell, and I like turning the pages. :)

Well there's that too. And if I have access to the bound book when I'm not going anywhere I will always choose that over the Kindle. As we age though, even somewhat diminished eyesight appreciates larger print and the bound books don't always offer that. The Kindle does.

I didn't exactly have to be dragged screaming and kicking into the electronic age, but I did resist the Kindle for a long time. But once I gave in and bought one, it has now become an important part of my information arsenal. And again, I really like having a whole library with me when I travel or when I am sitting for hours in doctor's offices, etc. when I perform my medical taxi duties.

Oh, Foxfyre, if you haven't seen a trailer yet, there's a disaster movie coming out in May called San Andreas. You get the idea from the title, I'm sure. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I hope it is a good one. I have dozens of disaster movies on DVD--"Disaster" for me means that it is mankind dealing with natural forces either here on Earth or from outer space--the movies take up one whole shelf in my video cabinet plus I have about a dozen others that there isn't room for on that shelf. Out of the whole lot there are maybe a couple of dozen that are really really good--movies that I watch again and again. And there are a lot that I watch once, say 'yuck' or 'yawn', and never watch again.

I just saw a trailer for Hotel Transylvania 2. It's sad how movies for the little one are almost as exciting as more adult fare. I'm not sure how much of that speaks to the quality of children's movies and how much to the lack of quality in so many adult movies. :p

I'm excited that we're getting close to Avengers 2, though! :D

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Noomi!!!
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

green-candle-spring-flowers-23850582.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Whilst driving out of Gosport this morning, I was confronted by the USS Theodore Roosevelt. She's parked in the Solent as I type. What a beast!

stream_img.jpg

How splendid. I wonder why she is visiting your fair land? I don't know how I have lived this long and have never seen an aircraft carrier except in pictures or the movies? That would have been a real treat.

Oh and good morning everybody. Will need to make a medical taxi run with my Aunt Betty this morning--she's got some kind of bug with chills, fever, and other yuckies and is quite ill. And since she is 88 years old, for me that's scary.

Forum List

Back