USMB Coffee Shop IV

Does anybody know how I can turn on the bb code editor here?
Top right of reply box, the button with the wrench on it.

But that's the problem. I don't get any buttons of any kind on the reply box if I use Chrome or Firefox or IE. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. It's all there, however, if I log in on AOL. Very frustrating. On the box I'm typing on now there is no way to add quotes or bold or indent. . . nothing unless I manually add the coding. Log in from AOL though and it all shows up plain as day.

And did they take away our informative and funny buttons? All I can do is thank folks now. And I'm not seeing the thanks given stat any more either?

Last edited:
A man who lives on the tenth floor takes the elevator down to the first floor every morning and goes to work. In the evening, when he comes back; on a rainy day, or if there are other people in the elevator, he usually goes to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up the remaining three flights of stairs to his apartment.
Can you explain why he doesn't go all the way to the tenth floor every day?

Nobody wants to tackle this?
The man is short and can't reach the button for the 10th floor.
If other people are on the elevator he asks them to push the button for the 10th floor, if it has been raining he has an umbrella and uses the umbrella to push the button he normally can't reach.
This scenario only works if the elevator floor buttons are placed in reverse order. Typically, the buttons are numerically placed left to right and top to bottom so it is more likely that he would be challenged to get down to the first floor, not challenged to get up to the 10th floor.

A man who lives on the tenth floor takes the elevator down to the first floor every morning and goes to work. In the evening, when he comes back; on a rainy day, or if there are other people in the elevator, he usually goes to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up the remaining three flights of stairs to his apartment.

The man is short and can't reach the button for the 10th floor.
If other people are on the elevator he asks them to push the button for the 10th floor, if it has been raining he has an umbrella and uses the umbrella to push the button he normally can't reach.
This scenario only works if the elevator floor buttons are placed in reverse order. Typically, the buttons are numerically placed left to right and top to bottom so it is more likely that he would be challenged to get down to the first floor, not challenged to get up to the 10th floor.

Very good. Except all the elevators around here do have "one" at the bottom and the highest numbered floors at the top.

10982462_800828573286112_3986634086525189574_n.jpg

Here is another elevator challenge.

A high rise office building with 60 floors has six elevators. Each elevator holds 25 people. During morning work arrival time, during going to and returning from lunch, and during end of day leaving time the elevators are highly used and highly inefficient
Examples:
I arrive at work in the morning and get on the elevator, I work on the 50th floor. The other 24 people on the elevator each work on floors 2 through 25 thus causing the elevator to stop on each floor from 2 to 25, then ride with only one passenger from floor 25 to 50. The first 24 stops are painfully slow.
At lunch and when going home, 25 of us get on the elevator on the 50th floor. On the way down, the elevator stops at every floor because others have pushed a button to catch the downward elevator, but there is no room (the elevator doesn't know it is full). Each stop is painfully slow.

How can you make the elevators more efficient?

But that's the problem. I don't get any buttons of any kind on the reply box if I use Chrome or Firefox or IE. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. It's all there, however, if I log in on AOL. Very frustrating. On the box I'm typing on now there is no way to add quotes or bold or indent. . . nothing unless I manually add the coding. Log in from AOL though and it all shows up plain as day.

And did they take away our informative and funny buttons? All I can do is thank folks now. And I'm not seeing the thanks given stat any more either?
I can't help you with the AOL thing....

Yes. The agree, informative and funny buttons disappeared this morning. Hadn't noticed the thanks given stat missing.

I HATE change.

The below video is me, except that I'm not a black man.:D

Don't know why people have such issues with folding fitted sheets, it's easy.
Last night it was in the upper 50s, the wife was complaining it was cold, tonight in the lower 70s and she was complaining it was cold, by the end of summer she'll be pulling a Sherry and screaming for an arctic parka when it hits 60......... :lol:

I'm pretty sure that you can get hypothermia at 60 degrees.:eusa_whistle:

Try leaving your t shirt on next time....

I can't help you with the AOL thing....

Yes. The agree, informative and funny buttons disappeared this morning. Hadn't noticed the thanks given stat missing.

I HATE change.

Apparently we are at least allowed to like things still. Mandatory indifference is on the way...

I was thinking there was a connecting walkway to a parking garage on the tenth floor?

A high rise office building with 60 floors has six elevators. Each elevator holds 25 people. During morning work arrival time, during going to and returning from lunch, and during end of day leaving time the elevators are highly used and highly inefficient
Examples:
I arrive at work in the morning and get on the elevator, I work on the 50th floor. The other 24 people on the elevator each work on floors 2 through 25 thus causing the elevator to stop on each floor from 2 to 25, then ride with only one passenger from floor 25 to 50. The first 24 stops are painfully slow.
At lunch and when going home, 25 of us get on the elevator on the 50th floor. On the way down, the elevator stops at every floor because others have pushed a button to catch the downward elevator, but there is no room (the elevator doesn't know it is full). Each stop is painfully slow.

Allow twelve people on the elevator.... :)

Examples:

For Foxy's problem, the man is a midget and can't reach the 10th floor button. If there are others in the car, he asks them to push the 10 button. If it's raining, he uses his umbrella to push it.

Your problem requires express elevators. I would start with one that stops at 20 40 and 60.

I wonder if it is just because I'm older now that my pet peeves annoy me more? Our church starts with about 25 minutes to a half hour of worship. Used to we started out standing for the first couple of songs, then the worship leader would sit us down for the rest of the service. And it was good for those who can't easily stand for a half hour. Now they encourage those who want to remain standing to do so which means the rest of us are looking at somebody's butt for 15-20 minutes, can't see the stage, can't see the words to the songs projected above the stage. I've tried all sorts of attitude adjustment exercises, but it still annoys the dickens out of me. :(

Another pet peeve is the current generation who took the melody out of music. Now it is almost all sung within a single discordant octive and unimaginative repetitious lyrics smothered with raucus drum and other accompainment--absolutely nothing to latch on to as a memorable melody that you want to hum later on. Was watching The Voice after the game last night and could really only enjoy two or three songs taken from earlier generations that were still producing music.

Oh well, neither affects world peace so I just have to figure this too shall pass.

And how about that game last night huh? Disappointing that the Badgers lost in the end but they sure gave Duke all they could handle.

I'm pretty sure that, as with so many things, people have had the same thoughts about music as you have. I don't doubt that a lot of the same kinds of complaints were made about the disco era, the beginning of rock n roll, hell, people may have said the same about famous composers like Bach or Beethoven. :D Besides, I really think your complaint is more about the most popular music; people are still out there making all kinds of music, almost surely including something similar to the types you enjoy.

I wonder if it is just because I'm older now that my pet peeves annoy me more? Our church starts with about 25 minutes to a half hour of worship. Used to we started out standing for the first couple of songs, then the worship leader would sit us down for the rest of the service. And it was good for those who can't easily stand for a half hour. Now they encourage those who want to remain standing to do so which means the rest of us are looking at somebody's butt for 15-20 minutes, can't see the stage, can't see the words to the songs projected above the stage. I've tried all sorts of attitude adjustment exercises, but it still annoys the dickens out of me. :(

Another pet peeve is the current generation who took the melody out of music. Now it is almost all sung within a single discordant octive and unimaginative repetitious lyrics smothered with raucus drum and other accompainment--absolutely nothing to latch on to as a memorable melody that you want to hum later on. Was watching The Voice after the game last night and could really only enjoy two or three songs taken from earlier generations that were still producing music.

Oh well, neither affects world peace so I just have to figure this too shall pass.

And how about that game last night huh? Disappointing that the Badgers lost in the end but they sure gave Duke all they could handle.
While it is nice to ponder that some people wish to demonstrate their reverence by remaining on their feet, I agree that it isn't always comfortable, or feasible, for some others to do so. Maybe if you could persuade the pastor to designate some of the front pews as "seated"?

We explained to the ministerial staff the issues--especially our "Senior Saints" who run about age 60 to 90+ and a number of younger folks often have physical issues that makes standing for long periods very uncomfortable or impossible. But I guess we got overruled so no change was made. It would help if they would just suggest those who want to stand take the back pews or move to the outer edges of the seating, but we haven't figured out any way to suggest that without seeming like crochety old complainers.
Too bad. Once upon a time, long ago, when I was a mere whipper-snapper, we had a Saturday night "rock-mass". Said service featured young musically-inclined parishioners and attracted young people. We often attended subsequent to fund raising events, including car washing. We were often wet, dirty, and disheveled. Unfortunately, our appearance offended more upstanding members of the congregation.
I guess what I am trying to say is...there are ways to compromise, hopefully, such compromise may be found among you.

Our daughter called this past week and is the proud owner of four free range laying hens that are sufficient to keep her supplied with the few eggs she needs. (The free range is between her back yard and the next door neighbor who has another four chickens.) She has always had an eye for good looking chickens but has never owned any I don't believe.

Nor has our son who I still remember when we were considering moving to a farm near the little town where we lived, at age five he puffed up and indignantly pronounced: "I'll tell you one thing. If we move to a farm you're going to get me a horse or a chicken." We agreed.

And then today he posts this with the caption: "The joys of a free range chicken":

11114238_998493370162529_5331013013749933176_n.jpg
Our lone chicken, who hadn't laid a damned egg since October was about to be accompanied by dumplings.
Daily visits to the coop had gotten to be a fruitless boor so she would get a visit from time to time more or less to size her up for a pot.
Yesterday, I walked down to the coop and muttered "Last chance".
There were 4 eggs.

I think I've gotten someone to deliver the gravel I need for my boccie court. Should have 6 yards this week to spread over a 12 x 60 foot area and some to fill in a few washed out areas of the pathway to the court.
Improving the access up to the rifle range revealed an area with a LOT of red clay. It shouldn't be a problem to get the 6 yards I need for the top surface of the court. I may just get this thing done this year.

I've been looking at silk screening equipment and heat transfer presses the last few days. Realistically, the investment to print my own shirts will be > $1,000 and hardly worth what I would make off shirts unless I was to do shirts on the side in my nonexistent spare time.
I have a quote on the way from a local company.
Here's the art I've made up for the back:View attachment 39202
Nice artwork! As a DIY fanatic, I understand why you might want to make your own shirts. But, like you, I just don't have enough time to DIY everything. I do like to find decently priced bargains, though. Two sources of building materials locally are the Habitat for Humanity Restore Store, where they sell donated used or surplus stuff. I've gotten Kaehrs oak flooring, some beautiful tiles for my kitchen, kitchen cabinets, and loads of glues, pastes, grouts, and window shades for my place. Our Lowe's here also feature cull racks for lumber. Sure, you usually get a few dude pieces, but for the most part, there's not a lot wrong with the lots they sell for pennies on the dollar. And anything that is unusable for construction goes into the stove for heat.
Thanks!

We have a re store here too and I have gotten some good bargains. Unfortunately, Lowe's doesn't have a cull rack here, nor does the Home de Pot.
Home Depot doesn't have cull rack here, either. Lowes does. I've gotten a lot of good lumber buying their discards.

Examples:

My experience indicates that certain elevators serve certain floors.

He probably needs the exercise ! I have to go to the doctors today to get my prescription and I have to get a lift up 7 floors. I don't have the energy to climb the stairs up 7 floors or I would do it. Because the lifts are small and they do not appear to have any ventilation. So I worry that there will be a power cut, and I will be trapped and run out of air.

Forum List

Back