USMB Coffee Shop IV

The washer showed up around 10 am, they hooked it up and I'm finally able to wash clothes the modern way. :D
Made a quick run to Wally World for a couple of items then back home. Oh and it's raining.
By the way the washer is an impeller type, no center agitator. It uses minimal soap and water, was watching it wash (glass top lid) didn't look like it would do a good job but when the first load was done everything was very clean. :dunno:

Last edited:
Hello everybody... Checking in. I've been a bit busy the last few days. Last Thursday just before dark we had some terrible storms pass through our area. There was three different tornados. The worst of the lot was a huge EF-4 wedge-shaped tornado that passed very near the Rochelle area. It killed 2 people and injured 22. Many homes completely destroyed and several of them belonged to people I am friends with. I've never seen such destruction - even as a result of war. Prayers requested for the people who lost everything and who were injured as a result of these storms. I was lucky. I only lost one tree because of high winds. Mother nature was not kind to us in this area last Thursday.

Glad you didn't have more damage. I wasn't exactly sure where you are in Illinois but thought about you and those tornados. I didn't know that Rocelle got hit so hard--the same tornado that took out Fairdale?

Last night I was on Facebook in steady contact with my granddaughter who was freaking out that a tornadic storm was making a beeline for her hometown in west Texas--she is in college and was 60 miles away from there but feared for her parents who have no storm cellar. As it turned out the storm went south of there and weakened rapidly so did no serious damage to anything other than nerves.

It was kind of fun 'riding along' with the storm chasers who were live streaming their chases though. But alas, disappointing for them too. At one point there was a definite hook on the radar--obvious to anybody--but it quickly dissipated and no more developed.

The tornado didn't hit Rochelle directly but came across the side of the town in what they call "the Rochelle Burbs". Passed very near the high school. It completely destroyed Skare Park. Never seen anything like it. Also many houses in that area. One of the people who lost their home and everything in it goes to our church and another person I know, the newly elected Sheriff also lost his home and belongings. It came across at somewhat of a 45 degree angle and then destroyed a restaurant and house and lots of farm equipment at the 64/251 intersection. There were quite a few homes lost on the outskirts of Rochelle. Thankfully it didn't hit the more populated downtown part of Rochelle. Fairdale, is a very small place adjacent to Rochelle. It is only something like 6 blocks by maybe 4 or 5 blocks in size and it was more than 95% completely destroyed. My buddy, who is a vet, had to care for many farm animals on the outskirts of Fairdale. A barn collapsed on top of a herd of over 100 sheep. Killed many outright and broke the legs on many others. There were quite a few horses and cattle that had lacerations that needed to be stitched closed. Some cattle had to be put down along with several horses. I haven't driven over to Fairdale to have a look because the authorities want to keep as many people as they can away from that area. Nothing much to see anyway except destruction and you can see plenty of that on the outskirts of Rochelle. As best as we can tell, the large wedge-shaped tornado started off near Ashton where a large food canning plant was destroyed and moved towards Rochelle and then traveled mostly northeast across into Winnebago County skirting Cherry Valley and then into Boone County. There were two other tornados - one on the outskirts of Cherry Valley and another appeared again near Ashton. Some distance away (45 miles) is the town of Clinton, Iowa and they had a tornado there too. No tornado in the immediate vicinity of my house but there were some funnel clouds spotted and the alarms were sounded. At my house we had very high winds, lots of heavy rain and hail about the size of a marble. Was lucky to only loose one tree.

Mrs. BBD's surgery for the knee replacement is not yet scheduled. A side note, on Friday morning she fell onto her right hip and we spent the majority of the day in the local ER. Thought her hip, or maybe her femur, was broken but X-Rays and Cat Scan were both negative for fractures. She has a very large 9 inch by 12 inch ugly bruise on her thigh though that is very painful and ugly to look at.

Just good to know you and your wife are fine, I am sorry to hear about those that lost their lives, were injured and lost homes/businesses. Things can be rebuilt and bought anew, people can't.

I hope all of my CS friends have enjoyed their weekend.:) My daughter stopped by yesterday morning to pick up her brother and they headed off for some fun at Busch Gardens. When they returned home, we had some great eats.:thup: It's official...my kids think WQ is a better cook than me, and they're right.:D This time next week we'll be visiting Monticello.:banana:

P1000144.jpg

We'll post some pics when we get back. We're also going to Jamestown....Colonial Williamsburg, and some of the River Plantations.

This is one of my favorite places on earth......Westover. it was built in 1731 by William Byrd II. If you ever have a chance to go....do it. :)

westover.jpg

IMG_0127_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0130_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

Westover_Plantation_Path-Web.jpg

V-8CC1.JPG

I love ridiculous signs and these are a hoot! Enjoy!
sJHAla9.jpg

azJVhLc.jpg
LU00luG.jpg
tZe5c1A.jpg
1q8PVpC.jpg
hDENbdM.jpg
bQXHDa1.jpg

I used to live in Williamsburg, Va and loved it there. That's where I was living when I married Mrs. BBD. I was raised in nearby Suffolk, Va. Don't know if they still do it or not, but when I lived there, residents of Williamsburg were able to obtain a pass that allowed you into all of the local attractions for free.

I hope all of my CS friends have enjoyed their weekend.:) My daughter stopped by yesterday morning to pick up her brother and they headed off for some fun at Busch Gardens. When they returned home, we had some great eats.:thup: It's official...my kids think WQ is a better cook than me, and they're right.:D This time next week we'll be visiting Monticello.:banana:

P1000144.jpg

We have been to Monticello. Amazing place. Will look forward to the pics. :)

P1000144.jpg

We'll post some pics when we get back. We're also going to Jamestown....Colonial Williamsburg, and some of the River Plantations.

This is one of my favorite places on earth......Westover. it was built in 1731 by William Byrd II. If you ever have a chance to go....do it. :)

westover.jpg

IMG_0127_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_0130_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

Westover_Plantation_Path-Web.jpg

V-8CC1.JPG

Love the area. Will wait impatiently for the pics.

Hello everybody... Checking in. I've been a bit busy the last few days. Last Thursday just before dark we had some terrible storms pass through our area. There was three different tornados. The worst of the lot was a huge EF-4 wedge-shaped tornado that passed very near the Rochelle area. It killed 2 people and injured 22. Many homes completely destroyed and several of them belonged to people I am friends with. I've never seen such destruction - even as a result of war. Prayers requested for the people who lost everything and who were injured as a result of these storms. I was lucky. I only lost one tree because of high winds. Mother nature was not kind to us in this area last Thursday.

Glad you didn't have more damage. I wasn't exactly sure where you are in Illinois but thought about you and those tornados. I didn't know that Rocelle got hit so hard--the same tornado that took out Fairdale?

Last night I was on Facebook in steady contact with my granddaughter who was freaking out that a tornadic storm was making a beeline for her hometown in west Texas--she is in college and was 60 miles away from there but feared for her parents who have no storm cellar. As it turned out the storm went south of there and weakened rapidly so did no serious damage to anything other than nerves.

It was kind of fun 'riding along' with the storm chasers who were live streaming their chases though. But alas, disappointing for them too. At one point there was a definite hook on the radar--obvious to anybody--but it quickly dissipated and no more developed.

The tornado didn't hit Rochelle directly but came across the side of the town in what they call "the Rochelle Burbs". Passed very near the high school. It completely destroyed Skare Park. Never seen anything like it. Also many houses in that area. One of the people who lost their home and everything in it goes to our church and another person I know, the newly elected Sheriff also lost his home and belongings. It came across at somewhat of a 45 degree angle and then destroyed a restaurant and house and lots of farm equipment at the 64/251 intersection. There were quite a few homes lost on the outskirts of Rochelle. Thankfully it didn't hit the more populated downtown part of Rochelle. Fairdale, is a very small place adjacent to Rochelle. It is only something like 6 blocks by maybe 4 or 5 blocks in size and it was more than 95% completely destroyed. My buddy, who is a vet, had to care for many farm animals on the outskirts of Fairdale. A barn collapsed on top of a herd of over 100 sheep. Killed many outright and broke the legs on many others. There were quite a few horses and cattle that had lacerations that needed to be stitched closed. Some cattle had to be put down along with several horses. I haven't driven over to Fairdale to have a look because the authorities want to keep as many people as they can away from that area. Nothing much to see anyway except destruction and you can see plenty of that on the outskirts of Rochelle. As best as we can tell, the large wedge-shaped tornado started off near Ashton where a large food canning plant was destroyed and moved towards Rochelle and then traveled mostly northeast across into Winnebago County skirting Cherry Valley and then into Boone County. There were two other tornados - one on the outskirts of Cherry Valley and another appeared again near Ashton. Some distance away (45 miles) is the town of Clinton, Iowa and they had a tornado there too. No tornado in the immediate vicinity of my house but there were some funnel clouds spotted and the alarms were sounded. At my house we had very high winds, lots of heavy rain and hail about the size of a marble. Was lucky to only loose one tree.

Mrs. BBD's surgery for the knee replacement is not yet scheduled. A side note, on Friday morning she fell onto her right hip and we spent the majority of the day in the local ER. Thought her hip, or maybe her femur, was broken but X-Rays and Cat Scan were both negative for fractures. She has a very large 9 inch by 12 inch ugly bruise on her thigh though that is very painful and ugly to look at.

Oh wow BBD. I had no idea. Are you in Rochelle? Or how close?

Evening folks. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I have the house to myself this week as my poppet will be away on business. Boo!

We used to do Civil War living history at Evelynton Plantation on the James River. Mosquitoes as big as B52 bombers.

USA8444.jpg

Very cool. My ex and I toured Evelynton once. A beautiful place. Westover, Berkeley, and Shirley Plantations are very close by.

berkeley_plantation_harrison_home.jpg

This is Berkley. Tremendous amount of history here. A President of the United States was born here. His father was a signer of the Declaration of Independence (Benjamin Harrison). President Lincoln stayed here for several weeks in the later stages of the Civil War. General McCellan and much of the Union Army camped here. Lots of Civil War reenactments. Great guided tour that is well worth it.

thanksgiving1.jpg

Good morning all. We are into a definite cooling trend here -- temps probably won't get out of low 60's today and with a wind advisory, that will feel really chilly. Lots of rain east of us for some reason and it doesn't seem to know what way it is going. But we almost never get rain from the east so probably not for us.

Hoping everybody is having a splendid Monday such as it is. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
  • Thanks
Reactions: Ava
sJHAla9.jpg

azJVhLc.jpg
LU00luG.jpg
tZe5c1A.jpg
1q8PVpC.jpg
hDENbdM.jpg
bQXHDa1.jpg

Okay now I see them. Funny :)

Reminds me of our Accuweather report recently that warned us of 30 foot winds in the forecast. :)

sJHAla9.jpg

azJVhLc.jpg
LU00luG.jpg
tZe5c1A.jpg
1q8PVpC.jpg
hDENbdM.jpg
bQXHDa1.jpg

Can't get them to load for me Westie. And I want to see them.

Drat! I'll see what I can do to get them up tomorrow.
Foxy! Try clicking the reply box when you're loged in through your AOL. I see the pics in my reply box.

Thanks Ernie. That's what it took to work for, me, too. :thup:

Forum List

Back