USMB Coffee Shop IV

I actually just recently read that Bon Jovi put out a country album in the early 2000s that was at least moderately successful. And Darius Rucker, the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish, is currently a country singer.

I don't know why anyone would want to change genres to country, but it certainly happens. :p
Old style Country fans and artists hate the new Pop-Country, I don't have a problem with a lot of it, I do have a problem with most old style Country though.......
The wife was raised on Country and she still likes a lot of the old stuff, she just doesn't play it while I'm around........

I know there are a few old and new country type songs that I've heard that aren't too bad. However, country is definitely not my favorite genre.

Mine either, and almost not at all since I don't like most of the newer country, even when performed by some of my favorite artists. The 80's and 90's was the golden age of country in my opinion - George Strait, Reba McEntyre, Dolly Parton, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, Garth Brooks, et al all had some great stuff that was real music with real melodies and compelling lyrics. I did enjoy a lot of it but certainly didn't want an all country diet. You almost have to go back earlier than the heavy metal rage to find a lot of good music in pop music. But all things evolve over time and this no melody - boring lyrics phase too shall pass. :)

I find it funny that you talk about country music and boring lyrics in the same paragraph. :p When I think of country music, especially a bit older than the current pop/rock country, I think of tears in beer, my woman left me and my dog is in the back of my pickup truck. Not exactly The Iliad. ;)

I have never been a fan of country, so my knowledge of the lyrics is limited, but that's the kind of thing I recall from what little I heard on the radio. :D

Besides, pop music is almost by definition pretty mindless fluff, whatever the genre. That's why it's popular and appeals to the most people; it's watered down, inoffensive music. I'd say that's a guideline rather than a rule, but I also think it's fairly accurate.

I actually just recently read that Bon Jovi put out a country album in the early 2000s that was at least moderately successful. And Darius Rucker, the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish, is currently a country singer.

I don't know why anyone would want to change genres to country, but it certainly happens. :p
Old style Country fans and artists hate the new Pop-Country, I don't have a problem with a lot of it, I do have a problem with most old style Country though.......
The wife was raised on Country and she still likes a lot of the old stuff, she just doesn't play it while I'm around........

I know there are a few old and new country type songs that I've heard that aren't too bad. However, country is definitely not my favorite genre.

Mine either, and almost not at all since I don't like most of the newer country, even when performed by some of my favorite artists. The 80's and 90's was the golden age of country in my opinion - George Strait, Reba McEntyre, Dolly Parton, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, Garth Brooks, et al all had some great stuff that was real music with real melodies and compelling lyrics. I did enjoy a lot of it but certainly didn't want an all country diet. You almost have to go back earlier than the heavy metal rage to find a lot of good music in pop music. But all things evolve over time and this no melody - boring lyrics phase too shall pass. :)

I find it funny that you talk about country music and boring lyrics in the same paragraph. :p When I think of country music, especially a bit older than the current pop/rock country, I think of tears in beer, my woman left me and my dog is in the back of my pickup truck. Not exactly The Iliad. ;)

I have never been a fan of country, so my knowledge of the lyrics is limited, but that's the kind of thing I recall from what little I heard on the radio. :D

Besides, pop music is almost by definition pretty mindless fluff, whatever the genre. That's why it's popular and appeals to the most people; it's watered down, inoffensive music. I'd say that's a guideline rather than a rule, but I also think it's fairly accurate.

I didn't say that country music lyrics were elevating. :) But they aren't repetitiously boring and they almost always relate to real life as most of us experience it. Like this one "Thunder Rolls" that is so compelling. His "I got friends" is just plain fun. Who among us cannot relate to "The Dance"? Country music always tells a story.

Last edited:

I didn't say that country music lyrics were elevating. :) But they aren't repetitiously boring and they almost always relate to real life as most of us experience it. Like this one "Thunder Rolls" that is so compelling. His "I got friends" is just plain fun. Who among us cannot relate to "The Dance"? Country music always tells a story.

Actually, I can't really relate to The Dance (I had to go look up the lyrics lol). And I find the real life style lyrics boring, actually; I prefer my lyrics to be conceptual rather than day to day. I think it's similar to how I dislike reading non-fiction. I'm happier with ideas than day to day drudgery. That may be more an issue with pop-country than the stuff you like, though.

I also only listen to a small amount of 'fun' music. Mostly that would be They Might Be Giants.

I still don't quite know what you mean when you say music now has no melody.

Garth Brooks is the real one who brought the country genre out of the the old dying crying in your beer honky tonk era, he's the one who opened the door for country music to evolve. A lot of the old timers refused to go along...... When was the last time you heard from Travis Tritt or any of that crowd? They're old school and the money is now in Pop-Country, Country-Rock, Country-Hip Hop, etc, music genres evolve to fit each generation.

Actually, I can't really relate to The Dance (I had to go look up the lyrics lol). And I find the real life style lyrics boring, actually; I prefer my lyrics to be conceptual rather than day to day. I think it's similar to how I dislike reading non-fiction. I'm happier with ideas than day to day drudgery. That may be more an issue with pop-country than the stuff you like, though.

I also only listen to a small amount of 'fun' music. Mostly that would be They Might Be Giants.

I mean it is essentially tuneless--just noise. You listen to a performance and there is no melody in your head that you can hum to yourself.

For instance, I don't agree with every selection here, but almost all of the very short clips offered on this video will put the melody into my head. Almost no modern music does that:

500 Greatest Songs of All Time

Garth Brooks is the real one who brought the country genre out of the the old dying crying in your beer honky tonk era, he's the one who opened the door for country music to evolve. A lot of the old timers refused to go along...... When was the last time you heard from Travis Tritt or any of that crowd? They're old school and the money is now in Pop-Country, Country-Rock, Country-Hip Hop, etc, music genres evolve to fit each generation.

True. Which sometimes is a good thing. And sometimes not so much. Of the modern country I love things like this when Martina McBride (her best friend) and Kelly Clarkson (her daughter-in-law) teamed up to sing Reba's song during a tribute to Reba McEntyre.

Last edited:

True. Which sometimes is a good thing. And sometimes not so much. Of the modern country I love things like this when Martina McBridge (her best friend) and Kelly Clarkson (her daughter-in-law) teamed up to sing Reba's song during a tribute to Reba McEntyre.

Jennifer Nettles voice is absolutely amazing, often brings tears to my eyes.

Lots of country music here I see, must be trash pick up time...

I like my country music to be Shania Twain on TV with the sound off.

True. Which sometimes is a good thing. And sometimes not so much. Of the modern country I love things like this when Martina McBridge (her best friend) and Kelly Clarkson (her daughter-in-law) teamed up to sing Reba's song during a tribute to Reba McEntyre.

Jennifer Nettles voice is absolutely amazing, often brings tears to my eyes.

Sugarland does have a strong and loyal fan base. They aren't among my favorites but everybody can't be. :)

And if you can't relate to "The Dance" you must be one of those lucky people who has not yet had to lose something or somebody that ripped a substantial piece out of your heart so painfully that it almost seemed unbearable. But even the midst of all that pain, the experience of having loved and been loved so much made it worth it.

I mean it is essentially tuneless--just noise. You listen to a performance and there is no melody in your head that you can hum to yourself.

For instance, I don't agree with every selection here, but almost all of the very short clips offered on this video will put the melody into my head. Almost no modern music does that:

The link doesn't work for me.

I think that what this really is is that you don't enjoy the modern pop music you've listened to. To say that modern music has no melody, is tuneless, I think is demonstrably false. I've caught myself with songs I don't like, modern pop or country style songs, stuck in my head. And a commercial jingle can be hummed; that doesn't make it more melodious or enjoyable than modern pop. :p

If you don't like what you think of as modern music (you haven't exactly defined that, it could be anything made in the last 10, 20, 30 years, only the pop songs of those periods, only pop songs from certain sources, etc.) that's fine. The way you describe it, however, is pretty insulting to anyone who does like any of that music. When you keep saying that modern music has no melody or tune, it sounds like you are saying modern music isn't actually music at all; that it is as much music as listening to any random noises one might hear around them. It comes off, to me anyway, less as a matter of taste and more a condemnation of a huge number of artists as not actually being musicians. I tend to think country music is bad, but it's still music. ;)

And if you can't relate to "The Dance" you must be one of those lucky people who has not yet had to lose something or somebody that ripped a substantial piece out of your heart so painfully that it almost seemed unbearable. But even the midst of all that pain, the experience of having loved and been loved so much made it worth it.

If you consider having very little in the way of romance in my life lucky, then I guess so. :p

I think that what this really is is that you don't enjoy the modern pop music you've listened to. To say that modern music has no melody, is tuneless, I think is demonstrably false. I've caught myself with songs I don't like, modern pop or country style songs, stuck in my head. And a commercial jingle can be hummed; that doesn't make it more melodious or enjoyable than modern pop. :p

If you don't like what you think of as modern music (you haven't exactly defined that, it could be anything made in the last 10, 20, 30 years, only the pop songs of those periods, only pop songs from certain sources, etc.) that's fine. The way you describe it, however, is pretty insulting to anyone who does like any of that music. When you keep saying that modern music has no melody or tune, it sounds like you are saying modern music isn't actually music at all; that it is as much music as listening to any random noises one might hear around them. It comes off, to me anyway, less as a matter of taste and more a condemnation of a huge number of artists as not actually being musicians. I tend to think country music is bad, but it's still music. ;)

Now come on. No fair saying I'm insulting if I don't like modern music (which I define as most of the stuff produced this century) but you aren't insulting if you say country music is bad? :)

Seriously I don't intend to insult anybody's tastes in music or anything else. I was just enjoying a conversation about music with the full understanding that everybody doesn't like everything. But if I am coming across as insulting, I'll take the hint and change the subject. Or let somebody else change it. No harm. No foul.

Well, to each his or her own. :) Everyone has different tastes in music and other things. I think I'm weird in that I like a little bit of just about everything I think. I have even heard some classical music that I've rather enjoyed. I'm not very familiar with that kind of music, so I don't know the names of a lot of the songs I've heard, but I really like this. (I know it's not the "full" version, but I thought 6 minutes was even pushing it - :lol:)

Now come on. No fair saying I'm insulting if I don't like modern music (which I define as most of the stuff produced this century) but you aren't insulting if you say country music is bad? :)

Seriously I don't intend to insult anybody's tastes in music or anything else. I was just enjoying a conversation about music with the full understanding that everybody doesn't like everything. But if I am coming across as insulting, I'll take the hint and change the subject. Or let somebody else change it. No harm. No foul.

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

Death metal? :biggrin:

The optical drive (CD DVD RW) on my computer is starting to go bad so last night I ordered one from NewEgg. Got the e-mail confirmation with tracking number...... Don't know what made me look but the item was already in the "shipping mode" and scheduled to be shipped to Trinidad, CO.......... even though I put the shipping address in as El Paso.
Turns out since I had an old account with NewEgg and they used my Colorado address........ tied to my PayPal address, just changed that in PayPal.
Contacted NewEgg who put in a recall request for the package then called FedEx to make sure they received it.

Now this is what I call a good way to spend your money!

MTMwNjMwOTUyNDkyODQ1MDY2.jpg

MTMwNjMwOTUyNzYxMjAzMTY2.jpg

NDHQ-vid1-NOV2014 - YouTube

Forum List

Back