USMB Coffee Shop IV

Near Denver not long ago:

11401470_10153056545443271_8632328117360776549_n.jpg

11252164_10153132703788381_2343466063872700547_n.jpg

Last edited:
I actually just recently read that Bon Jovi put out a country album in the early 2000s that was at least moderately successful. And Darius Rucker, the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish, is currently a country singer.

I don't know why anyone would want to change genres to country, but it certainly happens. :p
Old style Country fans and artists hate the new Pop-Country, I don't have a problem with a lot of it, I do have a problem with most old style Country though.......
The wife was raised on Country and she still likes a lot of the old stuff, she just doesn't play it while I'm around........

I actually just recently read that Bon Jovi put out a country album in the early 2000s that was at least moderately successful. And Darius Rucker, the singer from Hootie and the Blowfish, is currently a country singer.

I don't know why anyone would want to change genres to country, but it certainly happens. :p
Old style Country fans and artists hate the new Pop-Country, I don't have a problem with a lot of it, I do have a problem with most old style Country though.......
The wife was raised on Country and she still likes a lot of the old stuff, she just doesn't play it while I'm around........

My employer listens to modern country and most of it seems to be pop/rock with maybe a little twang to the vocals.

Well if you have listened to the tuneless racket with unimaginative and repetitious lyrics that passes for most modern music these days, country is one of the few places you can still find real music. And it is pretty terrible in my opinion--the country music of the 1980's and 90's was far superior.

I ran across this Texas Tenors performance a little while ago. This is country at its finest:

If you consider 'modern music' to be what you hear on various TV shows, I don't like it any more than most country. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like most of what I listen to, but I don't think you'll ever hear someone from American Idol singing a song from most bands I listen to, either. :D

Oh, and Poison was never a good band, even amongst hair bands. :lol:

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ernie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Becki, R.D., and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

BBD probably knows where this is:
castle-rock-state-park-illinois.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

A fine dinner and great friendship at our partners' house tonight.

I saw that I had a missed call from Max about 3 PM. The voice mail said, "Call me as soon as you get this. I have something very important I have to talk to you about right away."
I returned his call somewhat reluctantly, wondering how much this was going to cost.
Max: "Hey guy!"
Me: "What you need, buddy?"
Max: "You and Sam."
Me: "Why? What's up?"
Max: "6, 24 oz rib-eyes."
Me: "See you at 5:30. Need me to bring anything?"
Max: "A pint of heavy cream and a big appetite."
Me: "Later, dude."

Eating a meal at Max's is like a 5 star restaurant. The boy can definitely COOK!

I know there are a few old and new country type songs that I've heard that aren't too bad. However, country is definitely not my favorite genre.

:) I wouldn't have thought a New England girl would be a Bret Michaels fan. :)

I have very varied tastes in music. I like a little bit of everything, except maybe country, but I'm sure there are a couple/few country songs that I would like too.

Well that's what I meant. Poison is a country band. :)

Really? I didn't know that, but I'm only really familiar with a couple of their songs. I always thought they were more like "glam rock." :dunno:

That's because you are right. I don't know if Foxy was joking, but Poison was (maybe still is? I have no idea if the band might still be around) a hair/glam metal band. They were popular back in the 80s.

A little tongue-in-cheek maybe, but there is a lot of conversation on the country scene about Bret and his country aspirations as a solo artist. Like many modern singers/groups, he has been cross over at times, and anybody who has followed him closely probably saw some country in there.

. . .On Wednesday (Jan. 5), Michaels directed a Chapel Hill-based film crew and the band through a series of scenes — of the band lip-syncing in a horse ring, of them lip-syncing in front of a truck filled with hay bales and pretty ladies and Thor, the redbone coonhound. Check out pictures from the video shoot at this location (free registration required).

Michaels says he wants to reposition himself as a player on the country scene. He hopes to release a country album, "Freedom of Sound", this fall.

He says he isn't worried about being accepted by Nashville and its fans. Michaels says he's been influenced by KISS and AEROSMITH, but likes LYNYRD SKYNYRD, the ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND and GEORGE STRAIT as well. . ."

"The reason I don't fear it is that I'm comfortable in my skin. I'm not trying to trick anybody," he said. . .

Read more at Poison Singer Directs Country Band s Music Video Photos Available - Blabbermouth.net

I would consider Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Bros to be southern rock. Same as CCR. Speaking of the Allman Bros . . .

This is my favorite Allman Bros song. :banana:

My employer listens to modern country and most of it seems to be pop/rock with maybe a little twang to the vocals.
As for Darius Rucker he's from down south (Charleston SC) and grew up on Country music. He brings his own excellent uniqueness to the genre.

More traditional:

Modern:

The younger generations are growing up and influencing the direction different genres are going, some of it I like some not so much.

If you listen to the early Zac Brown (Foundation album) you'll see why I equate their impact on country the same way Queen impacted rock with Night at the Opera. Both were groundbreaking in their own right, sometimes when artists are allowed to do what they want some amazing stuff comes out of it.

The lyrics are hysterically funny!
(Not to mention all of these guys are great musicians).

And Sic em on a Chicken where they go all Russian in the instrumental break.......

:lmao:

Last edited:
Morning everybody

I just woke up not too long ago. I'm still on my 1st cup of coffee.
I stayed up late watching some movies.
I had a dull headache yesterday from the time I woke up in the back of my head.
Then it moved to the front of my head by the afternoon.
I took some aspirin around 3:00 p.m. because the pain was getting worse.
I'm doing good this morning so it must have been a sinus headache or something. :)

Happy Friday!

funny-animals-pictures-1.jpg

I know there are a few old and new country type songs that I've heard that aren't too bad. However, country is definitely not my favorite genre.

Mine either, and almost not at all since I don't like most of the newer country, even when performed by some of my favorite artists. The 80's and 90's was the golden age of country in my opinion - George Strait, Reba McEntyre, Dolly Parton, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, Garth Brooks, et al all had some great stuff that was real music with real melodies and compelling lyrics. I did enjoy a lot of it but certainly didn't want an all country diet. You almost have to go back earlier than the heavy metal rage to find a lot of good music in pop music. But all things evolve over time and this no melody - boring lyrics phase too shall pass. :)

Last edited:
Oh and good morning, what's left of it, to everybody. Have been busy this morning taking care of some administrative things in real life, getting some publicity out, and other tasks that needed doing. And I'm not done yet, but just taking a break for a bit. Hombre will leave shortly to do his volunteer stint at the hospital. I have one more big meal to plan without using an oven--the new stove is to be delivered tomorrow.

A fine dinner and great friendship at our partners' house tonight.

I saw that I had a missed call from Max about 3 PM. The voice mail said, "Call me as soon as you get this. I have something very important I have to talk to you about right away."
I returned his call somewhat reluctantly, wondering how much this was going to cost.
Max: "Hey guy!"
Me: "What you need, buddy?"
Max: "You and Sam."
Me: "Why? What's up?"
Max: "6, 24 oz rib-eyes."
Me: "See you at 5:30. Need me to bring anything?"
Max: "A pint of heavy cream and a big appetite."
Me: "Later, dude."

Eating a meal at Max's is like a 5 star restaurant. The boy can definitely COOK!

Sounds great, but I tend to be a realist in these things. Maybe it is different at Max's house? But in most cases. . . .

She does most or all of the shopping, prep, gets out the dishes and flatware and prepares the side dishes, sets out the condiments, plans a dessert, and sets the table. He puts the steak on the grill and then takes it off the grill. But he gets all the compliments for the great steak. :)

It might have taken a month and a half to get my first appt with the El Paso VA but everything is moving quickly so far. Already have an appt for a MRI (not until the middle of June) and for a sleep study next week.
When I first signed up it took six months before I had my first appt in Colorado Springs and even that was rescheduled another month out the week before the appt....... Of course that was before the VA got nailed for long waits just to see someone.
Raton was a small clinic which meant any specialty work had to be done in Santa Fe or Albuquerque but you could get in to see your PCP (Principle Care Provider) within a day or two, sometimes that very same day. Not so at these bigger clinics/health centers.
One of the benefits here is if you need to go to the ER just go to Beaumont Army Medical Center and it's covered, no worrying whether VA will pay for it or not.

It might have taken a month and a half to get my first appt with the El Paso VA but everything is moving quickly so far. Already have an appt for a MRI (not until the middle of June) and for a sleep study next week.
When I first signed up it took six months before I had my first appt in Colorado Springs and even that was rescheduled another month out the week before the appt....... Of course that was before the VA got nailed for long waits just to see someone.
Raton was a small clinic which meant any specialty work had to be done in Santa Fe or Albuquerque but you could get in to see your PCP (Principle Care Provider) within a day or two, sometimes that very same day. Not so at these bigger clinics/health centers.
One of the benefits here is if you need to go to the ER just go to Beaumont Army Medical Center and it's covered, no worrying whether VA will pay for it or not.

For sure in the more densely populated areas, most routine medical stuff really sucks these days. Our favorite urgent care center--where I take my aunt and uncle for their fairly frequent medical emergencies--was privately owned and really zipped folks through while providing people friendly, competent medical care. But they sold out to one of the big medical groups here in town and now it is as crowded and slow with long waits as all the others and is much more assembly line than one-on-one personal care. I don't like the new trends at all.

Forum List

Back