USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just catching up.
I've been monitoring all the wildfires and the damage done. Tragic. A lot of that damage could have been avoided if Nature were permitted to take its course under "supervision". As it is, we do everything we can to prevent fires and the consequences are, when the fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator...well, it's pretty tragic.
It's about a week away from State Fair and the rains have started. Typical here in Alaska. The temps are still pretty high, but rain gear becomes de rigor.
I confess, I'm feeling a little down because I will not see my daughter/son/granddaughters before they depart for Okinawa. Yep, Okinawa!! I had hoped they would be assigned to Ft Lewis in WA state and I would be able to move South and at least see my granddaughters grow up for a few years. Good jobs for me in that area, too. Alas! Now, they won't even have a couple of weeks to come here before they go. I've been looking at prices for airfares there (Okinawa) and they run $1500 and up. So, it may be years before I see them again, and the girls will be all grown up. Jim Croce's "Cat's in the Cradle" is running constantly through my mind.

That's rough GW. I see my granddaughter and my kids maybe a couple of times a year but at least I have that. It would be hard knowing it would be years between visits.
Ringel may have provided a solution. Not ideal, but such would work. Not to mention, my Korean friends would welcome the opportunity to show me their country.

Uuummmm, the wife just had a positive phone interview....... and is scheduled for a second one........ with the company President......
Las Vegas, NV....... Uummmmm........ Close to $100K per year.......
I'm not a fan of Las Vegas. My parents lived up in Carson City, and I still have family there and around Reno. But for that kind of money, hell...I'd move there. OK, maybe not. LV is pretty hot, not even as humid as El Paso...
Yeah, average high is in July, 106. The lack of humidity doesn't bother us in fact we prefer it dry now though the average high monthly rainfall is 0.55 inches. It's about 1700 feet lower in elevation than El Paso and has a slightly smaller population base (city to city, not including the metro area).
Heck there's still no guarantee she'll get the job and she's already had two other phone interviews, one in Austin and one in San Antonio, Texas hill country, closer to the coast and obviously more humid/wetter. Those two areas do have one of the things she misses, trees...... and rivers with actual water in them....... :lol:

I think if I was moving to the LV area, I would look at Henderson--four lanes between there and Vegas, and properties around Lake Mead. But even there is some of the nation's bleakest and most unattractive terrain. Probably nobody learns to love the area, but if you find good people to do things with, any place is usually okay.

lake-mead-hoover.jpg

Just catching up.
I've been monitoring all the wildfires and the damage done. Tragic. A lot of that damage could have been avoided if Nature were permitted to take its course under "supervision". As it is, we do everything we can to prevent fires and the consequences are, when the fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator...well, it's pretty tragic.
It's about a week away from State Fair and the rains have started. Typical here in Alaska. The temps are still pretty high, but rain gear becomes de rigor.
I confess, I'm feeling a little down because I will not see my daughter/son/granddaughters before they depart for Okinawa. Yep, Okinawa!! I had hoped they would be assigned to Ft Lewis in WA state and I would be able to move South and at least see my granddaughters grow up for a few years. Good jobs for me in that area, too. Alas! Now, they won't even have a couple of weeks to come here before they go. I've been looking at prices for airfares there (Okinawa) and they run $1500 and up. So, it may be years before I see them again, and the girls will be all grown up. Jim Croce's "Cat's in the Cradle" is running constantly through my mind.

That's rough GW. I see my granddaughter and my kids maybe a couple of times a year but at least I have that. It would be hard knowing it would be years between visits.
Ringel may have provided a solution. Not ideal, but such would work. Not to mention, my Korean friends would welcome the opportunity to show me their country.

Hmmm. Well I've adjusted to UK time, Israeli time, and Australian time. Working Korea into that wouldn't be too hard. :)

Just catching up.

Hmmm. Well I've adjusted to UK time, Israeli time, and Australian time. Working Korea into that wouldn't be too hard. :)
I'll have to give up my goats. Oh, well...goats vs. granddaughters? There's really no choice. Goats make good meatloaf...

Well, I've joined the increasing ranks of those who have canceled their cable TV. Just got tired of paying for tons of channels I never watch, so I jumped my internet up to the ultimate package, 70-100M download speed and 1,000G of data, and then signed up for Netfilx. I think between that, Vudu, youtube and any of the other streaming opportunities, I'll watch what I want, when I want. If I miss a football game, I really don't care.

I do like this though...

speed_zpsg3td77ms.jpg

Just catching up.
Camp Humphreys The Republic Of Korea jobs at URS

:eusa_whistle:
I'm definitely going to follow up on that!! Where did you find the info?
Googled aircraft mechanic jobs, Korea

Well, I've joined the increasing ranks of those who have canceled their cable TV. Just got tired of paying for tons of channels I never watch, so I jumped my internet up to the ultimate package, 70-100M download speed and 1,000G of data, and then signed up for Netfilx. I think between that, Vudu, youtube and any of the other streaming opportunities, I'll watch what I want, when I want. If I miss a football game, I really don't care.

I do like this though...

speed_zpsg3td77ms.jpg
We have 2 Rokus, tons of options.

Just catching up.

I didn't even think of Korea, I was looking at Japan. Thanks bunches, though. Korea-Japan is kinda like Alaska-California. I'm pretty sure I could handle the commute on holidays.

Just catching up.

I didn't even think of Korea, I was looking at Japan. Thanks bunches, though. Korea-Japan is kinda like Alaska-California. I'm pretty sure I could handle the commute on holidays.
Both countries are beautiful, years ago when we visited my brother in Seoul it was like old home week for me, the language was different but the buildings, and people mostly looked the same as what I grew up with.

Well that's twice now I went in the pool with my ears on........ :eusa_doh:

You have removable ears?? :eusa_eh:
Yup.........

resound-verso.jpg

:D

:redface: :lol:
They're pretty hardy and durable. The first time I was in the pool for about 20 minutes, laps, floating around, underwater swimming from one end to the other and discovered they were still in my ears when I got out. This time I dove in and realized they were still there when I surfaced. Both times I dried em off, opened the battery, ran a tissue in the batter chamber and let them dry for a couple of hours, no problems. They have a three year warranty and will be replaced for free and I can get new ones every five years through the VA, if I need new ones between the 3 and 5 year period the VA will waive the time frame but only if I wear them and haven't needed replacing them multiple time due to loss or abuse.

Forum List

Back