USMB Coffee Shop IV

fatherhood-fun-joy-motivational-1307253222.jpg

FathersDay.2013.2.jpg

1cam1.gif

“Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.” – Bill Cosby

:lol:

I dropped a broad hint for Fathers Day back on Mothers Day. I expect to be listening to it this evening. :D

Ahhh, Placido Domingo, 1986....

“Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.” – Bill Cosby

I dropped a broad hint for Fathers Day back on Mothers Day. I expect to be listening to it this evening. :D

My neighbor used to make Placido Domingo blintzes and deliver them to the stage door. Her husband used to complain that the only time he ever had blintzes was when PD was in town doing an opera. :D

My neighbor used to make Placido Domingo blintzes and deliver them to the stage door. Her husband used to complain that the only time he ever had blintzes was when PD was in town doing an opera. :D

He is my favorite tenor. Even over Luciano Pavarotti. :thup:

Self-indulgence for Father's Day...

Sometimes the world just moves too fast. This is one of the most placid and gentle moods I can think of. Stats' reference to E♭ reminded me --

Frédéric Chopin Nocturne in Op. 9#2 in E♭Maj

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5U8kVYS88"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5U8kVYS88[/ame]

My Dad's gone nine years now but he used to play this on the family piano every day as far back as I can remember. This is the warmest way I know to recall his memory.

(As threatened in a PM) this is my Dad dressed up for a role in a Gilbert & Sullivan performance -- (possibly Private Willis in Iolanthe?) somewhere around 1955.... and an older pic of Dad with his dad, circa 1921...

Attachments

• $Dad G&S tweaked.jpg
    $Dad G&S tweaked.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 20
  • $DadsDad tweaked.jpg
    $DadsDad tweaked.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 24
(As threatened in a PM) this is my Dad dressed up for a role in a Gilbert & Sullivan performance -- (possibly Private Willis in Iolanthe?) somewhere around 1955.... and an older pic of Dad with his dad, circa 1921...

:eusa_clap: Those are outstanding to look at. Very compelling. Especially the granddad and son. Aww, what a grand picture of a handsome man. Thanks for the peek into your history, Pogo.

Looks like it could be Iolanthe. Ahhh, the grenadier guards! I sang Thomas (Tolloller) in Iolanthe in 1985..... oh, Lord, it has been a long, long, long time since I did G&S.

Thanks, [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], for a nice trip down an even nicer memory lane.

And those are awesome pics, btw. Just awesome.

Sometimes the world just moves too fast. This is one of the most placid and gentle moods I can think of. Stats' reference to E♭ reminded me --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5U8kVYS88

My Dad's gone nine years now but he used to play this on the family piano every day as far back as I can remember. This is the warmest way I know to recall his memory.

Fantastic.

Looks like it could be Iolanthe. Ahhh, the grenadier guards! I sang Thomas (Tolloller) in Iolanthe in 1985..... oh, Lord, it has been a long, long, long time since I did G&S.

Thanks, [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], for a nice trip down an even nicer memory lane.

I'm just guessing at Private Willis since I know he played that role but it could have been something else - unfortunately the pic isn't marked. But we grew up on G&S and classical music. At least until we went into the bedroom and tuned around on the radio dial that is... :eusa_shifty:

I'm just guessing at Private Willis since I know he played that role but it could have been something else - unfortunately the pic isn't marked. But we grew up on G&S and classical music. At least until we went into the bedroom and tuned around on the radio dial that is... :eusa_shifty:

Lol

Gesendet von meinem BASE Lutea 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Note how the pianist has fairly large hands for a woman? One thing that was impressed on me studying music over the years is that Chopin had unusually large hands even for a man and not necessarily Nocturne, but many of his compositions included the unusual broad reach that gave him on the keyboard. And that is why Chopin is so often performed by male pianists--women with smaller hands have a tougher time with his stuff. My sister has a master's degree in piano and Chopin is her favorite composer, but she really struggles with him as she has smallish hands.

Note how the pianist has fairly large hands for a woman? One thing that was impressed on me studying music over the years is that Chopin had unusually large hands even for a man and not necessarily Nocturne, but many of his compositions included the unusual broad reach that gave him on the keyboard. And that is why Chopin is so often performed by male pianists--women with smaller hands have a tougher time with his stuff. My sister has a master's degree in piano and Chopin is her favorite composer, but she really struggles with him as she has smallish hands.

I've heard that about Rachmaninoff but didn't know that about Chopin.

She's also (the pianist in the video) got quite a flourish of body English (hand English if you like) in her playing, and I notice her hand position goes against everything they teach in classical piano lessons. Break the rules, I like that. :badgrin:

Good morning and Happy Father's Day to all of you fathers out there. Today did not start off well. Woke up to the sounds of running water. One of our crazy cats, Mouse, has a habit of turning on the water in the upstairs bathroom sink to get a drink of water. Well, last week, Mrs. BBD started putting a couple of Walmart plastic bags in the sink and it had been keeping the damned cat from getting in the sink and turning the water on. Well, it didn't work at 0500 this morning. I woke up and heard water running and went into the bathroom to check it out. The cat had turned the water on and the plastic bags kept the water from going down the drain. The whole bathroom floor was flooded and water had even leaked into the kitchen downstairs. Clean up in progress... I'm thinking that after I finish this clean up chore and have another cup of coffee I might just skin a cat alive this morning.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWpSM-H-8c]The Many Ways To Skin A Cat - YouTube[/ame]

Ya know the original saying had nothing to do with felines......... :D

Kinda "fishy" if ya ask me....... :eusa_whistle:

Speaking of felines, my "kids" woke me up for father's day so I could feed them...... then I went back to bed....... My wife told me for father's day I could cook some steaks....... :lol:

[MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION]

Fifty years ago - Father's Day 1964 (which actually fell on June 21) the family climbed into the car to make an hour-long trek into the city to visit my father's mother, as we often did on an occasional Sunday. Being a lifelong baseball fan Dad had the ball game on as we drove, which as it progressed we became aware that something special was going on therein...

Arriving at Grandmom's house (she was an even more fanatic baseball fan) we found her transfixed by the same game and we all watched the TV in stunned silence as pitcher Jim Bunning pitched a perfect game against the Mets. For those of you not baseball fans, that's extremely rare -- there hadn't been one in 42 years in either league.

That night Bunning appeared on the Ed Sullivan show to acknowledge the event. He went on to the baseball Hall of Fame and became a Congressman and Senator from Kentucky. It was Father's Day 1964, 50 years ago, and Bunning's family were in attendance. It was a magic moment.

Last edited:
I got a text this morning from my new son-in-law, wishing me a happy fathers day. For those of you that may have missed it, my youngest daughter got married last weekend. We (the wedding party) spent the past week at the beach.
This is the house we stayed in, 6957 W. Beach Drive, Tar Heel Haven, Oak Island NC 28465, USA - Virtual Tour
It was the last house at the end of the island, we had an ocean view at the back of the house, a view of the inter-coastal waterway from the front of the house, and a view of the inlet connecting the two from the side of the house.

I walked my daughter down the steps and across the walkway to the beach, where the wedding took place. From the picture, can you tell I was crying when I first saw her in the wedding dress?
And a picture of all the beautiful bridesmaids,

It was a wonderful wedding full of love, laughter, hugs and good times.
Every day that we were there, the groomsmen (all bachelors) awoke early and cleaned the house of the previous nights feasting and drinking. A fine group of young men.

Pos rep to the first person that identifies which of the bridesmaids is my other daughter.

Attachments

• $Bride.GIF
    $Bride.GIF
    75 KB · Views: 21
  • $Bridesmaids.GIF
    $Bridesmaids.GIF
    204.8 KB · Views: 27
I got a text this morning from my new son-in-law, wishing me a happy fathers day. For those of you that may have missed it, my youngest daughter got married last weekend. We (the wedding party) spent the past week at the beach.
This is the house we stayed in, 6957 W. Beach Drive, Tar Heel Haven, Oak Island NC 28465, USA - Virtual Tour
It was the last house at the end of the island, we had an ocean view at the back of the house, a view of the inter-coastal waterway from the front of the house, and a view of the inlet connecting the two from the side of the house.

I walked my daughter down the steps and across the walkway to the beach, where the wedding took place. From the picture, can you tell I was crying when I first saw her in the wedding dress?
And a picture of all the beautiful bridesmaids,

It was a wonderful wedding full of love, laughter, hugs and good times.
Every day that we were there, the groomsmen (all bachelors) awoke early and cleaned the house of the previous nights feasting and drinking. A fine group of young men.

Pos rep to the first person that identifies which of the bridesmaids is my other daughter.

From what little I can see I'm going with #2 (counting from left) ?

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6642-rv.jpg

As you all might remember, when my friend Otis died he left me a very nice gift in his will. Today I spend some of that money and purchased this new RV. Plan on doing a bit of traveling around real soon. Naturally, I had my chief advisor, Mrs. BBD in attendance to ensure it would meet her high standards... It's very nice and I am sure we will enjoy it thanks to my departed friend, Otis.
Congrats, BBD! Great looking RV. If it's got a built in kitchenette with stove and fridge, you're all set. You can travel throughout North America exploring nature parks, campsites, and national attractions without any worries about hotels.

Food!!!

:rofl:
Yup, everything revolves around food. :D

Would be nice if it weren't one of the necessities of life, and we could rid ourselves of the wasteful habit of eating...or not! :lol:

Are there no pianos made with smaller keys to help with that?

Well, I'd imagine those with smaller hands could play on a keyboard with smaller keys. :D

Good morning and Happy Father's Day to all of you fathers out there. Today did not start off well. Woke up to the sounds of running water. One of our crazy cats, Mouse, has a habit of turning on the water in the upstairs bathroom sink to get a drink of water. Well, last week, Mrs. BBD started putting a couple of Walmart plastic bags in the sink and it had been keeping the damned cat from getting in the sink and turning the water on. Well, it didn't work at 0500 this morning. I woke up and heard water running and went into the bathroom to check it out. The cat had turned the water on and the plastic bags kept the water from going down the drain. The whole bathroom floor was flooded and water had even leaked into the kitchen downstairs. Clean up in progress... I'm thinking that after I finish this clean up chore and have another cup of coffee I might just skin a cat alive this morning.
Make sure you dry up and clean the walls properly. You don't want any mold forming anywhere within the walls of your home. Bleach and vineagar should do the trick. As for the cat, no worries, you can compensate him for what he did. Ask a neighbor to borrow a pit bull if they have one. Next, open up one of the air ducts in your home and let the cat walk in. After, let the pit bull get in. Make sure to reseal the air duct immediately. Get yourself a nice iced tea and ignore any barking or meowing coming from within the walls. Wait a bit and retrieve the pit bull and return it to your neighbor while expressing your gratitude and thanks. Then go home and clean up the mess inside the air duct. :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back