USMB Coffee Shop IV

I know I'm jumping the gun by several weeks, but...

Today my order of glow stick necklaces came. I ordered 100 three color glowing necklaces to give to the Trick or Treaters. The kids love them, even though they are not chocolate or otherwise filled with sugar. That's not to say I won't also have a big bowl of Reese Cups handy as well. A kid still has to be a kid, after all. They provide a little extra visibility to the kids as they canvass the neighborhood.

While I was buying glow sticks for the Halloweeners, I ordered 50 glowing necklaces in white for the neighborhood church group that sings Christmas carols. Those I'll deliver to the church which is at the opposite end of the block. It's an active church in the community and a real asset to the neighborhood. Though I cannot support their particular theology, I am grateful for their involvement in the town and our neighborhood.

Late last month while Daisy the Mutt and I were taking our evening constitutional in the park, I was approached by two high school aged girls who invited to attend their church. These girls had a killer confidence coupled with an enthusiasm for their cause all wrapped up in respect and deference. I was pleased to find young people with such outstanding character that I decided to make a gift of white 'halos' for the carolers this yuletide.

Last year, the caroling kids presented me with a set of Christmas cookie cutters and a leaflet describing their church. I had candy canes for them, but if I knew they were coming, I would have prepared a couple gallons of hot chocolate for them as it was pretty damn cold that night. Since it's dark by 4:30 in the afternoon around here in late December, I figure that the safety of a glow stick necklace would be appropriate.

You're one of those people every community cherishes and appreciates, Nosmo. Kudos.

And a further update on Daisy the Mutt. Last evening she gave me the hard sell on taking a walk. She galloped around the Great Hall, searched for cookies hidden in her cookie blanket, leaped up on the back of my recliner and breathed down the back of my neck, jumped up onto the window sill and looked for visitors and intruders. In short, she behaved as she normally does.

mom, on the other hand, seems to believe that as she herself is an 81 year old woman, all creatures great and small on God's green earth must also be vexed by the same aches and pains as she. Mom thinks that Daisy should be pampered beyond her normal dosage of pampering. She asked me to bring Daisy to her to spend the afternoon lounging at the Big House. Daisy has full run of the place including the large screened in rear porch from which she may bark at rabbits and the occasional neighborhood cat that wanders through the grounds.

So, that's the word on the Mutt. She is doing just fine and will milk the generosity and spoiling Mom will no doubt provide between now and 9:45 tomorrow morning when I have to pick her up and bring her back to Pimplebutt.

So we never got a diagnosis on what her problem was? But that's not important. Glad to hear she's back to her normal self.

Chickenshit..... :D

When I was in Panama we would go deep sea fishing on the Captains Gig or the Admirals Barge, one was a 25 footer the other a 30 footer. One time we came across a Whale Shark and played with it for about an hour before it finally disappeared. It was longer than the boat and it's head was almost as wide as the boat but they're harmless.

divershark_cs.jpg

Hubby and I are going Shark Fishing in Panama City in October. We hope to catch "the big one" and party our asses off!
Florida or Panama? I was stationed with the 15th Naval District in Panama at the Rodman Naval Support Base back when we still had the canal.
Hidden message? :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

LOL....somehow I buried it inside the quote--this software allows that when V-bulletin didn't :)

Anyhow this is what I said:

"One thing Hombre and I have often talked about doing is booking a cruise to Panama and going through the canal etc. We probably never will do that now, but it always looked like it would be so interesting."
While I was there I took an LST (Landing Ship, Tank) through the canal, it was fun though boring at times.

Hubby and I are going Shark Fishing in Panama City in October. We hope to catch "the big one" and party our asses off!
Florida or Panama? I was stationed with the 15th Naval District in Panama at the Rodman Naval Support Base back when we still had the canal.

LOL....somehow I buried it inside the quote--this software allows that when V-bulletin didn't :)

"One thing Hombre and I have often talked about doing is booking a cruise to Panama and going through the canal etc. We probably never will do that now, but it always looked like it would be so interesting."
While I was there I took an LST (Landing Ship, Tank) through the canal, it was fun though boring at times.

Not exactly how they take you through it when you're on a cruise. I'm pretty sure the big cruise ships can't go through the canal themselves.

there is ZERO chance I would scuba dive. if I saw something like that in the water I would die (literally)

Not exactly how they take you through it when you're on a cruise. I'm pretty sure the big cruise ships can't go through the canal themselves.
Not the really big ones, no and I for one never wanted to go around the southern tip of Argentina.........

And a further update on Daisy the Mutt. Last evening she gave me the hard sell on taking a walk. She galloped around the Great Hall, searched for cookies hidden in her cookie blanket, leaped up on the back of my recliner and breathed down the back of my neck, jumped up onto the window sill and looked for visitors and intruders. In short, she behaved as she normally does.

mom, on the other hand, seems to believe that as she herself is an 81 year old woman, all creatures great and small on God's green earth must also be vexed by the same aches and pains as she. Mom thinks that Daisy should be pampered beyond her normal dosage of pampering. She asked me to bring Daisy to her to spend the afternoon lounging at the Big House. Daisy has full run of the place including the large screened in rear porch from which she may bark at rabbits and the occasional neighborhood cat that wanders through the grounds.

So, that's the word on the Mutt. She is doing just fine and will milk the generosity and spoiling Mom will no doubt provide between now and 9:45 tomorrow morning when I have to pick her up and bring her back to Pimplebutt.

So we never got a diagnosis on what her problem was? But that's not important. Glad to hear she's back to her normal self.
A ligament in her leg was bruised. So Daisy gets a couple weeks of rest and a daily pain killer. Today she seems to be back in the pink, but Mom has ideas that she should convalesce.

I am happy to hear that she is doing well.

Last edited:

there is ZERO chance I would scuba dive. if I saw something like that in the water I would die (literally)
I was a NAUI instructor at age 17, I've had sharks circling me eyeing me as potential food, been face to face with a Moray Eel, found a WWII underwater mine in a fishing village channel and found myself once in the middle of a swarm of jellyfish. I ran out of air once at 50 feet down, just made it to the surface on a partial breath of air, had neglected to check my reserve, you can bet I never did that again.

I was a NAUI instructor at age 17, I've had sharks circling me eyeing me as potential food, been face to face with a Moray Eel, found a WWII underwater mine in a fishing village channel and found myself once in the middle of a swarm of jellyfish. I ran out of air once at 50 feet down, just made it to the surface on a partial breath of air, had neglected to check my reserve, you can bet I never did that again.

There is NO CHANCE! I think I'm brave to go on a charter boat fishing for shark. I will ride roller coasters etc. but ZERO chance I am either (1) scuba diving or (2) jumping out of an airplane. I might be game for just about anything else...........

Not the really big ones, no and I for one never wanted to go around the southern tip of Argentina.........

Well the cruise we would most likely leave on would probably leave from Galveston or New Orleans or possibly Miami, each location giving you a pretty straight shot to Panama through the Gulf and staying on the Atlantic side of Panama. But unlike you, I would LOVE to sail around the southern tip of Argentina though I understand that the ocean around Cape Horn is as rough and stormy as the Bering Sea can be. I don't get sea sick though--at least I never have on some pretty rough water--so I would enjoy the experience unless it got really scary.

And then I presume we would continue along the Pacific Coast to San Diego and fly home from there. And for a lot of that leg of the trip I would be pondering Chile and how a country could ever become a country shaped like it is.

Well the cruise we would most likely leave on would probably leave from Galveston or New Orleans or possibly Miami, each location giving you a pretty straight shot to Panama through the Gulf and staying on the Atlantic side of Panama. But unlike you, I would LOVE to sail around the southern tip of Argentina though I understand that the ocean around Cape Horn is as rough and stormy as the Bering Sea can be. I don't get sea sick though--at least I never have on some pretty rough water--so I would enjoy the experience unless it got really scary.

And then I presume we would continue along the Pacific Coast to San Diego and fly home from there. And most of that way I would be pondering Chile and how a country could ever become a country shaped like it is.
Here I was Navy and I would get seasick on easy oceans. The trick I discovered by accident was for me to lay down in a bunk and sleep for an hour or two then I would be perfectly fine even in the roughest of seas.

There is NO CHANCE! I think I'm brave to go on a charter boat fishing for shark. I will ride roller coasters etc. but ZERO chance I am either (1) scuba diving or (2) jumping out of an airplane. I might be game for just about anything else...........

Scuba diving I would do unless there have been shark reports--I'm a strong swimmer and love the water. I'll skip the sky diving though as it seems so silly to me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane trusting only a parachute that somebody else packed. But to be honest, I am not afraid on the stormiest of seas and would do the shark fishing in a heart beat as long as it was from the deck of the boat. . . .but the roller coaster? I've done it. Will never do so again. That exceeds my tolerance for terror. :)

Scuba diving I would do unless there have been shark reports--I'm a strong swimmer and love the water. I'll skip the sky diving though as it seems so silly to me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane trusting only a parachute that somebody else packed. But to be honest, I am not afraid on the stormiest of seas and would do the shark fishing in a heart beat as long as it was from the deck of the boat. . . .but the roller coaster? I've done it. Will never do so again. That exceeds my tolerance for terror. :)

Being underwater in the dark terrifies me! Just the thought of it... I might be able to snorkel!
I would sky dive IF I could piggyback on someone. I'm afraid I will panic and won't release the parachute... or it just won't work.

And then I presume we would continue along the Pacific Coast to San Diego and fly home from there. And most of that way I would be pondering Chile and how a country could ever become a country shaped like it is.
Here I was Navy and I would get seasick on easy oceans. The trick I discovered by accident was for me to lay down in a bunk and sleep for an hour or two then I would be perfectly fine even in the roughest of seas.

I would think combining Navy service with sea sickness would not be a really good thing.

Kaffee: Whoa. Hold it. We gotta take a boat?

Barnes: Yes, sir. To get to the other side of the bay.

Kaffee: Nobody said anything about a boat.

Barnes: Is there a problem, sir?

Kaffee: No, no problem. I'm just not that crazy about boats, that's all.

Galloway: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy for crying out loud.

Kaffee: Nobody likes her very much.

Barnes: Yes, sir!​

Being underwater in the dark terrifies me! Just the thought of it... I might be able to snorkel!
I would sky dive IF I could piggyback on someone. I'm afraid I will panic and won't release the parachute... or it just won't work.
You never, never, never go diving without a dive buddy, period. As for diving in the dark..... don't dive at night and stay out of caves....... :D
Now some of the best dive sites are in the Caribbean, water so clear you can see the ocean bottom 60 feet down and think you could just stick your hand in the water and touch it. It's absolutely gorgeous even if you're just snorkeling.

Trish-Suhr-and-Dave-McCoul-in-Isla-Mujeres-Mexico_0002.jpg

LNAMXCC742CJSCEN-2.jpg

I would worry about SCUBA diving setting off my admittedly minor claustrophobia. Sky diving, nope. I hate flying as it is. :p I don't do roller coasters. My digestive system is delicate enough I worry that I might have a problem from either end. :lol:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ernie,
Foxfyre,
WQ's mom Dorothy and Aunt Bev,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Spoonman, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

outdoor-lighting.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

You will never find me swimming in shark infested waters. For one thing they are in their element in the sea, and we are not. They have all the advantages , and a wide mouth full of razor sharp teeth. But I did once jump out of a perfectly good airplane at 2500 feet. I agreed to do it one night in the pub while drunk, and regretted it in the morning. But I resigned myself to jumping, and found it a worthwhile experience.

Forum List

Back