USMB Coffee Shop IV

ChrisL I have seen maybe 20 or 30 times now that clip of the great white shark barely missing the one seal who made it to the beach and the shark then catching a less speedy, less fortunate seal with quite graphic blood and gore obvious.

What so far nobody has mentioned, is that great white was 30 feet off the Massachusetts coast!! Wouldn't you think that should be news?

Nah, it's just a shock. :D Lots of shocks around here.

Holy cow. And people go in the water there? I've read that your chances of getting attacked by a shark are about the same as being hit by lightning. But I don't go stand outside and tempt fate during a lightning storm either.

I go in the water. :) I like to ride the waves. What I don't like to do is go out on a boat and dive off into the deeper water. That is just creepy. Anything could be swimming around down there. When I was about 12, I went for a weekend sailing expedition with my girlfriend and her family. We anchored out in the deep water, and I dove in and it was pitch black and I felt like I just kept going deeper and deeper and the water got colder and colder. It was really kind of frightening, TBH. I swam back to the surface and remained on the boat for the rest of the day. :lol:

Chickenshit..... :D

When I was in Panama we would go deep sea fishing on the Captains Gig or the Admirals Barge, one was a 25 footer the other a 30 footer. One time we came across a Whale Shark and played with it for about an hour before it finally disappeared. It was longer than the boat and it's head was almost as wide as the boat but they're harmless.

divershark_cs.jpg

Hubby and I are going Shark Fishing in Panama City in October. We hope to catch "the big one" and party our asses off!

ChrisL I have seen maybe 20 or 30 times now that clip of the great white shark barely missing the one seal who made it to the beach and the shark then catching a less speedy, less fortunate seal with quite graphic blood and gore obvious.

What so far nobody has mentioned, is that great white was 30 feet off the Massachusetts coast!! Wouldn't you think that should be news?

Holy cow. And people go in the water there? I've read that your chances of getting attacked by a shark are about the same as being hit by lightning. But I don't go stand outside and tempt fate during a lightning storm either.

I go in the water. :) I like to ride the waves. What I don't like to do is go out on a boat and dive off into the deeper water. That is just creepy. Anything could be swimming around down there. When I was about 12, I went for a weekend sailing expedition with my girlfriend and her family. We anchored out in the deep water, and I dove in and it was pitch black and I felt like I just kept going deeper and deeper and the water got colder and colder. It was really kind of frightening, TBH. I swam back to the surface and remained on the boat for the rest of the day. :lol:

When I was in Panama we would go deep sea fishing on the Captains Gig or the Admirals Barge, one was a 25 footer the other a 30 footer. One time we came across a Whale Shark and played with it for about an hour before it finally disappeared. It was longer than the boat and it's head was almost as wide as the boat but they're harmless.

divershark_cs.jpg

Hubby and I are going Shark Fishing in Panama City in October. We hope to catch "the big one" and party our asses off!

Florida or Panama? I was stationed with the 15th Naval District in Panama at the Rodman Naval Support Base back when we still had the canal.

divershark_cs.jpg

Florida or Panama? I was stationed with the 15th Naval District in Panama at the Rodman Naval Support Base back when we still had the canal.

OOhhh... I see you were talking about the 'actual' Panama! No, we were are going to Panama City Beach. My bad! :(

I don't know why I keep trying with Linux. Now I can't figure out how to get KUbuntu to connect to my home network. I do a lot of file sharing between computers so it's an important function for me. Linux really doesn't seem very friendly for some very basic functions. :(

My first fantasy football draft is tonight. Unfortunately, the little one has a 'back to school bash' going on tonight as well (this is actually her 11th day at school, but whatever). That starts 2 hours before my draft does, and they are going to be playing the movie Home, so I'm guessing I am either going to be late for or miss my draft entirely. :/

I don't know why I keep trying with Linux. Now I can't figure out how to get KUbuntu to connect to my home network. I do a lot of file sharing between computers so it's an important function for me. Linux really doesn't seem very friendly for some very basic functions. :(

My first fantasy football draft is tonight. Unfortunately, the little one has a 'back to school bash' going on tonight as well (this is actually her 11th day at school, but whatever). That starts 2 hours before my draft does, and they are going to be playing the movie Home, so I'm guessing I am either going to be late for or miss my draft entirely. :/

I miss fantasy football
I love the Redskins and I can already tell they are terrible for another season.
So... I'm unmotivated.

One thing Hombre and I have often talked about doing is booking a cruise to Panama and going through the canal etc. We probably never will do that now, but it always looked like it would be so interesting.

divershark_cs.jpg

Birthday party Saturday other than that it is landscape projects. I am buried at this point. Several people will not see me this year and a few on the list will get bumped for bigger or more profitable jobs.

Fantasy football should allow for prior year teams with losing records to be first or sell their draft spots. You should also have a pool of money to buy the players.

My league drafted last weekend but I had a terrible time with it. We use the Yahoo system and they have changed it so much it took awhile to figure out the new system--I gave up on the practice draft because it took so long with 15 or more people drafting. That plus I kept getting booted during the draft caused me to miss a lot of picks and I now have the worst team in the league on paper. But it's still pre season too and those stats can always improve. We'll see how it goes. Anybody, somebody has to be last. :)

I miss fantasy football
I love the Redskins and I can already tell they are terrible for another season.
So... I'm unmotivated.

We can only hope Bonzi. (Cowboys fan here.) :)

One thing Hombre and I have often talked about doing is booking a cruise to Panama and going through the canal etc. We probably never will do that now, but it always looked like it would be so interesting.

divershark_cs.jpg

Hidden message? :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

My league drafted last weekend but I had a terrible time with it. We use the Yahoo system and they have changed it so much it took awhile to figure out the new system--I gave up on the practice draft because it took so long with 15 or more people drafting. That plus I kept getting booted during the draft caused me to miss a lot of picks and I now have the worst team in the league on paper. But it's still pre season too and those stats can always improve. We'll see how it goes. Anybody, somebody has to be last. :)

Sorry, I probably could have helped you out of that last place position. :)

divershark_cs.jpg

Oh? I missed it.. must be the wine.... :)

divershark_cs.jpg

Ya know you can drink the water these days........

Ya know you can drink the water these days........

But, not nearly as fun

And a further update on Daisy the Mutt. Last evening she gave me the hard sell on taking a walk. She galloped around the Great Hall, searched for cookies hidden in her cookie blanket, leaped up on the back of my recliner and breathed down the back of my neck, jumped up onto the window sill and looked for visitors and intruders. In short, she behaved as she normally does.

mom, on the other hand, seems to believe that as she herself is an 81 year old woman, all creatures great and small on God's green earth must also be vexed by the same aches and pains as she. Mom thinks that Daisy should be pampered beyond her normal dosage of pampering. She asked me to bring Daisy to her to spend the afternoon lounging at the Big House. Daisy has full run of the place including the large screened in rear porch from which she may bark at rabbits and the occasional neighborhood cat that wanders through the grounds.

So, that's the word on the Mutt. She is doing just fine and will milk the generosity and spoiling Mom will no doubt provide between now and 9:45 tomorrow morning when I have to pick her up and bring her back to Pimplebutt.

Okay, figured out how to get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade that was on my computer. Discovered it started auto-downloading when I rebooted but I was able to quickly stop it.
It's a multi-step process but not as difficult as it would appear to be on paper, just a little time consuming.

I know I'm jumping the gun by several weeks, but...

Today my order of glow stick necklaces came. I ordered 100 three color glowing necklaces to give to the Trick or Treaters. The kids love them, even though they are not chocolate or otherwise filled with sugar. That's not to say I won't also have a big bowl of Reese Cups handy as well. A kid still has to be a kid, after all. They provide a little extra visibility to the kids as they canvass the neighborhood.

While I was buying glow sticks for the Halloweeners, I ordered 50 glowing necklaces in white for the neighborhood church group that sings Christmas carols. Those I'll deliver to the church which is at the opposite end of the block. It's an active church in the community and a real asset to the neighborhood. Though I cannot support their particular theology, I am grateful for their involvement in the town and our neighborhood.

Late last month while Daisy the Mutt and I were taking our evening constitutional in the park, I was approached by two high school aged girls who invited to attend their church. These girls had a killer confidence coupled with an enthusiasm for their cause all wrapped up in respect and deference. I was pleased to find young people with such outstanding character that I decided to make a gift of white 'halos' for the carolers this yuletide.

Last year, the caroling kids presented me with a set of Christmas cookie cutters and a leaflet describing their church. I had candy canes for them, but if I knew they were coming, I would have prepared a couple gallons of hot chocolate for them as it was pretty damn cold that night. Since it's dark by 4:30 in the afternoon around here in late December, I figure that the safety of a glow stick necklace would be appropriate.

divershark_cs.jpg

LOL....somehow I buried it inside the quote--this software allows that when V-bulletin didn't :)

Anyhow this is what I said:

"One thing Hombre and I have often talked about doing is booking a cruise to Panama and going through the canal etc. We probably never will do that now, but it always looked like it would be so interesting."

Forum List

Back