USMB Coffee Shop IV

Meanwhile....yesterday my pc just shut of for no reason...and I smelled something burning coming from the tower. Fan stopped. Oops. So, I hauled it down to Staples and it was the power fan thingybob and he said I coulda burned my pc up so it was a good thing I took it apart and set it outside to cool off. He gave me a bigger doomaflotchie cuz he didn't have the one in stock that goes to my pc, and only charged me 77 bucks for the thingamabob and his labor to put it in. PC is running like a champ now and the whole back of it is nothing but FAN. I'm lovin' it. Actually, I love Staples!

While waiting, I checked out windows10. Um. Uh. Its ok I guess, but I never found the control panel. Too much gadgetry for me, so I think I will just wait til this PC dies from old age, THEN do what I hafta do.
That's why I'm happy I can work on my own computers, if they replaced what I think they replaced it was a $12 part and takes a minute to swap out.

Sounds like she was talking about the power supply to me. Can you find one for $12? I just spent $60 on mine. :p

Unless it was just a rear case fan.......

She said Fan twice and the whole back now is Fan.
A power supply unit has one or two built in fans.
I have 2 fans in my pc. One in the middle just sitting there spinning away. Other one was encased in a metal box with all those wires. THAT was the one that stopped spinning. Now its a BIG fan and instead of a round hole where that fan was on the other side...the whole half top section is one big assed fan. He gave me that fan for the price of the el cheapo one it was supposed to be replaced with. Happy me!

Staples, people. STAPLES.

Power supply is a whole different story, if that's what they replaced then she did good for $77 installed. :thup:
I have a 650 watt in my desktop, bought it new on Ebay years ago for $50.
Yeah! That was it was called. Power supply thingybob. Wires all over the place coming out of there. When he was pulled it all out he looked up and me and said "it's like guts. Dr's need to know what is attached to what".
Staples has been good to me keeping my Asus running for as long as it has. When it acts up....we go to Staples Doctor Office, lol.
$77 for a power supply unit installed is good unless they gave you a 350 or 400 watt supply, not all that good with modern computers but you said they gave you a bigger one that what your system came with so it's probably a 500 watt or bigger.

Meanwhile....yesterday my pc just shut of for no reason...and I smelled something burning coming from the tower. Fan stopped. Oops. So, I hauled it down to Staples and it was the power fan thingybob and he said I coulda burned my pc up so it was a good thing I took it apart and set it outside to cool off. He gave me a bigger doomaflotchie cuz he didn't have the one in stock that goes to my pc, and only charged me 77 bucks for the thingamabob and his labor to put it in. PC is running like a champ now and the whole back of it is nothing but FAN. I'm lovin' it. Actually, I love Staples!

While waiting, I checked out windows10. Um. Uh. Its ok I guess, but I never found the control panel. Too much gadgetry for me, so I think I will just wait til this PC dies from old age, THEN do what I hafta do.
In the Windows search field (bottom left on taskbar) you type in Control Panel and select it when it pops up. That's one reason people are adding StartisBack and closing the Windows search field. All of that is easily fixed.
I learned the trick to upgrading to Win 10 is to backup all of your files, backup your browser profile (save these backups on a thumb (flash) drive. Once your computer has been upgraded go to Recovery and Reset the computer, this will wipe out all of your files, programs, etc and basically reinstall Windows 10 like it was a new "clean" installation. Did that on this laptop and it been purring like a kitten since.
Of course I've done a lot of personal configuring to make it my personal computer not a defacto Microsoft workstation in my possession.......
Ack! Ack! Gadgetry! Stuff That Must Be Done. By YerSelf! Being PC Ignert! Ack! Ack! Nooooooooooooo!

In the Windows search field (bottom left on taskbar) you type in Control Panel and select it when it pops up. That's one reason people are adding StartisBack and closing the Windows search field. All of that is easily fixed.
I learned the trick to upgrading to Win 10 is to backup all of your files, backup your browser profile (save these backups on a thumb (flash) drive. Once your computer has been upgraded go to Recovery and Reset the computer, this will wipe out all of your files, programs, etc and basically reinstall Windows 10 like it was a new "clean" installation. Did that on this laptop and it been purring like a kitten since.
Of course I've done a lot of personal configuring to make it my personal computer not a defacto Microsoft workstation in my possession.......
Ack! Ack! Gadgetry! Stuff That Must Be Done. By YerSelf! Being PC Ignert! Ack! Ack! Nooooooooooooo!
It's actually the real easy stuff I'm talking about. The slightly harder stuff is making sure all of your hardware drivers (the software that makes each piece of hardware work) are updated not to mention you have the latest BIOs installed........ Without the BIOs your computer would never start up.

That's why I'm happy I can work on my own computers, if they replaced what I think they replaced it was a $12 part and takes a minute to swap out.

Sounds like she was talking about the power supply to me. Can you find one for $12? I just spent $60 on mine. :p

I have 2 fans in my pc. One in the middle just sitting there spinning away. Other one was encased in a metal box with all those wires. THAT was the one that stopped spinning. Now its a BIG fan and instead of a round hole where that fan was on the other side...the whole half top section is one big assed fan. He gave me that fan for the price of the el cheapo one it was supposed to be replaced with. Happy me!

We had to make a Staples run today to pick up ink cartridges for my son's printer...I discovered that WQ has fetish for office products.:lol:

Power supply is a whole different story, if that's what they replaced then she did good for $77 installed. :thup:
Yeah! That was it was called. Power supply thingybob. Wires all over the place coming out of there. When he was pulled it all out he looked up and me and said "it's like guts. Dr's need to know what is attached to what".
Staples has been good to me keeping my Asus running for as long as it has. When it acts up....we go to Staples Doctor Office, lol.
$77 for a power supply unit installed is good unless they gave you a 350 or 400 watt supply, not all that good with modern computers but you said they gave you a bigger one that what your system came with so it's probably a 500 watt or bigger.
What's funny is..the tower was sitting there, both sides off. He looks on his pc for a price of a power unit with fan similar to the one that was broke. I asked "how much is this gonna cost me?" and he said about 85 bucks installed or 50 uninstalled and I do it myself. My eyes got big, I started moaning, then I pulled out my wallet. I counted out 83 bucks and some change from dumping out the bottom of my purse. I said "will this do it?" and he said "we will make it work". Then I followed him over to the shelf where the thingydoodads are and he says "oops. We are out. Gonna have to order one" and I said "ok. How long til it gets here?" and he just grabs another box and said "nah. I said we would make it work, so we are gonna make it work" and the price tag underneath that box was 49.99. So in essence....he charged me about 24 bucks to install it. Give or take. I didn't argue, but I groveled a lot and bowed twice, lol.

We had to make a Staples run today to pick up ink cartridges for my son's printer...I discovered that WQ has fetish for office products.:lol:
I was looking at tablets. Some were pretty inexpensive. Mostly I was on the laptop trying to manuever around windows10. Then I looked at pc chairs. Found one I loved but it was 249 bucks, so I just kept wandering around the store tinkering with stuff.

I was looking at tablets. Some were pretty inexpensive. Mostly I was on the laptop trying to manuever around windows10. Then I looked at pc chairs. Found one I loved but it was 249 bucks, so I just kept wandering around the store tinkering with stuff.

I saw the most adorable flowered stapler, and he insisted on getting it for me.:)

s0886284_sc7

Probably rear case fan or the CPU fan, though a good generic CPU fan will set ya back $20 to $30 a great one for $40 or $50. Power supply is a whole different story, if that's what they replaced then she did good for $77 installed. :thup:

Was it modular? That seems to cost a bit extra, but I like having modular PS, so I pay a bit more. More of my overheating paranoia, probably; I want to have as little space taken up by wires as I can. :lol:

The PS I bought for $60 is a 600w. I have a 700w in my current PC, but I bought it so long ago I have forgotten how much it cost. It was my first modular PS, just like it went into my first full sized case. :D

I really hope this new full tower isn't crap! I only paid $70 (which is quite cheap for a full tower) and it has a $30 mail in rebate. My old one, when it was new, probably cost more like $120-$150. Of course, I love that one, and it came with 7 installed case fans. :lol:

Okay dammit.....I will admit.....office products give me a little tingle. :D

I will sometimes look at office products and think, "That would be nice to have.". Then I move on, realizing that a)I don't want to spend money on whatever it is and b)it wouldn't actually be that useful. :lmao:

Probably rear case fan or the CPU fan, though a good generic CPU fan will set ya back $20 to $30 a great one for $40 or $50. Power supply is a whole different story, if that's what they replaced then she did good for $77 installed. :thup:

Was it modular? That seems to cost a bit extra, but I like having modular PS, so I pay a bit more. More of my overheating paranoia, probably; I want to have as little space taken up by wires as I can. :lol:

The PS I bought for $60 is a 600w. I have a 700w in my current PC, but I bought it so long ago I have forgotten how much it cost. It was my first modular PS, just like it went into my first full sized case. :D

I really hope this new full tower isn't crap! I only paid $70 (which is quite cheap for a full tower) and it has a $30 mail in rebate. My old one, when it was new, probably cost more like $120-$150. Of course, I love that one, and it came with 7 installed case fans. :lol:
Yup, a brand new modular in a box, I just got lucky with being the winning bid on a $100+ PS. What's funny is I built it to be fully up-gradable but by the time I went to upgrade it a couple of years later it was already obsolete....... DDS2 technology...... :lol:

My girlfrien..... Uuummm, eerrrr, wife does that for me....... :D

Gadgetry. *shudder*

But office supplies? I like them, too! However, since I am piss poor and have to dump my purse out for change, have no shoes and have two roomies to help me survive...that tablet will have to wait for a week or two until my ebay sales get in my paypal account. Then I might even get that chair I loved, too (but being thrifty as well as poor, I'm gonna try to get it for less cuz I want the floor model). :lol:

Somehow that brings to mind the time at the feed store when the clerk asked me to identify the sex of some kittens they had for sale. I gently removed each from the cage, turned them tail-side up and was able to appropriately determine which were female, which male. A little girl standing with her mother nearby observed that the kittens must have had tags (ala Beanie Baby).

I found a super great deal on an '82 Case 450, only 1200 hours and in great condition for only $19,000. I figured that since the partner has been working two full time jobs all summer, and he's doubled his income and has theoretically been saving at least one of those incomes, we should have enough for hi to buy the thing. He informed me that he's got a whopping $3,000 in the bank. What in hell has he been throwing money away on now? Oh, well, maybe later. We could certainly use that beast, we have a lot of clearing and ground work to do.
Only three more days until my girls are gone to Japan. Guess I'll just have to get a new passport and start saving for the trip. Does anyone know when would be a better time to visit Japan? Last time I was there was in October. It was pleasant and my companions saw to it that we got to sample a wide range of dining/drinking establishments.
Thank Hombre for the updates on Foxy's welfare. I worry about everyone in the CS, but Foxy is like our den mother, keeping tabs on all of us and caring.

I found a super great deal on an '82 Case 450, only 1200 hours and in great condition for only $19,000. I figured that since the partner has been working two full time jobs all summer, and he's doubled his income and has theoretically been saving at least one of those incomes, we should have enough for hi to buy the thing. He informed me that he's got a whopping $3,000 in the bank. What in hell has he been throwing money away on now? Oh, well, maybe later. We could certainly use that beast, we have a lot of clearing and ground work to do.
Only three more days until my girls are gone to Japan. Guess I'll just have to get a new passport and start saving for the trip. Does anyone know when would be a better time to visit Japan? Last time I was there was in October. It was pleasant and my companions saw to it that we got to sample a wide range of dining/drinking establishments.
Thank Hombre for the updates on Foxy's welfare. I worry about everyone in the CS, but Foxy is like our den mother, keeping tabs on all of us and caring.
So did you decide not to move to Korea then?

So did you decide not to move to Korea then?
I thought, if there are jobs in Korea, there might be jobs in Okinawa, too. As soon as they are settled, my daughter will be looking around to see what's available for an airplane mechanic. It's a BIG change, moving to a foreign country, taking on a new job...giving up everything I love about my life here...I guess the jury's still out about such a change.

My old lady cat is nestled against my thigh. She's got this cyst on her side that the vets aspirated a couple of weeks ago. Now it fills up and drains almost daily. So, today, I put a poultice of plantain and honey on it and hope the bindings will be left in place. She seemed relieved immediately after I applied the dressing, so I think it must feel good for her. She's also not been messing with the dressing either. I hope I can clear this epidermoid cyst.

Forum List

Back