USMB Coffee Shop IV

My last "RV".......

Top-Fashion-2013-New-Men-s-outdoor-desert-boots-Rubber-soles-wearproof-army-military-boots-size.jpg

I think that's an ATV.

I used to hike the AT for recreation...... Bought a pair of desert boots for $20 before the store realized they had mis-priced them. The most comfortable boots I have ever worn. :thup:

Went to the VA yesterday for my annual GERD and Barretts Esophagus checkup. They are scheduling a further exam at a local Charlotte hospital because of the condition. As of yesterday I am forbidden to eat or drink my favorite nutrional supplements. No more Snickers, honeybuns, pecan pie, cakes, cookies, candy bars.........hell, the entire candy and pastry aisles in Walmart. I will somehow manage to survive but it won't be easy.I can have all the PB&J I want but it won't be the same as an Almond Joy. And worst of all, the ultimate insult------no coffee. Dammit.
I agree that it's tough to give up all those goodies, especially the pies. Try substituting with other snacks. There's beef jerky, nachos, pretzels or nuts. Since you mentioned peanut butter, one of my all time favorites is fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. Also ask your doc if you can drink decaf coffee.

This is how my tomato plants looked 3 weeks ago.....

P1010922_zpsbb9f6543.jpg

I'm getting a bumper crop of tomatoes. I've already diced and placed in quart bags a bunch of them....enough to fill 5 1-quart bags.

This was what I picked one morning.
P1010935_zps5a1835c4.jpg

Mine are only about where your 3-weeks-ago ones were. All green. Shouldn't be long though, it's hot today. Really hot. Why I bet it's over 80.

Pick some of them green and pickle them with some habeneros.

Hmmm, now that's a novel idea. I have jalapeños growing too, I wonder if those would do in place of the habaneros? I'm going to go search for a tomato/jalapeño pickling recipe....thanks

Hmmm, now that's a novel idea. I have jalapeños growing too, I wonder if those would do in place of the habaneros? I'm going to go search for a tomato/jalapeño pickling recipe....thanks

I'm sure jalapenos would work, just not nearly as spicy.
One of the guys that used to come on our annual opening day trout fishing trip always brought pickled green tomatoes with habeneros that his wife made. Usually pickled in June or July and the trip was the next year April, so plenty of time for the flavors to meld. I'm bummed that they moved and he can longer make the trip.

Fried green tomatoes are ok, BLT sandwiches are good, but her pickled green tomatoes are the best tomatoes ever, but then everything tastes better when you are camping.

Found one....seems simple enough.....I'll have to try it....

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES
6 qt. green tomatoes, quartered
1 c. red bell peppers, sliced
3/4 c. pickling salt
2 qt. onions, chopped
1 c. jalapeno peppers, chopped
Sprinkle salt over vegetables and let set overnight; drain well. Bring to a boil: 1 tsp. mustard seed 1/2 gallon white vinegar
Add vegetables to boiling liquid and cook until vegetables change color. Put into jars and seal.

So....we have tenants...living under the front porch roof. I suspected it, but it was not until they hit their raucous teens and started fledging that I realized it (they were really good tenants). All the babies but one flipped and flapped into the near by rhodendrum bush. But, one hold out - refused to make the plunge. Finally he did, but not before I got his picture :)

100_2608_zps95516093.jpg

Went to the VA yesterday for my annual GERD and Barretts Esophagus checkup. They are scheduling a further exam at a local Charlotte hospital because of the condition. As of yesterday I am forbidden to eat or drink my favorite nutrional supplements. No more Snickers, honeybuns, pecan pie, cakes, cookies, candy bars.........hell, the entire candy and pastry aisles in Walmart. I will somehow manage to survive but it won't be easy.I can have all the PB&J I want but it won't be the same as an Almond Joy. And worst of all, the ultimate insult------no coffee. Dammit.

so you're on the annual plan too? no garlic, tomato sauce, onions, alcohol, or spices for me

Found one....seems simple enough.....I'll have to try it....

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES
6 qt. green tomatoes, quartered
1 c. red bell peppers, sliced
3/4 c. pickling salt
2 qt. onions, chopped
1 c. jalapeno peppers, chopped
Sprinkle salt over vegetables and let set overnight; drain well. Bring to a boil: 1 tsp. mustard seed 1/2 gallon white vinegar
Add vegetables to boiling liquid and cook until vegetables change color. Put into jars and seal.
I'll be your friend if you send me a jar. :)

Just bought a Garmin RV760LMT gps unit for the RV. Now I will never hear Mrs. BBD ask "Are you lost? Again?".

@freedombecki

Here's an update on the progress of the Spring flower planting. I said Spring because Summer is still a few days off and I just put the marigolds in last weekend.

IMG_1099-Copy.jpg

Here's a "before and after' on the window boxes:

Before:

imagejpg5.jpg

and after:

IMG_1106.jpg

Plantings around the 'new' tree. Purslane and polka dot plant (I don't remember the name of it, but it looked good in the nursery):

IMG_1095-Copy.jpg

The wee decorative peppers I raised from seed around the new locale for the flag pole:

IMG_1098-Copy.jpg

Sweet potato vines relegated to their own private pouches where they cannot bully other plants around:

IMG_1101.jpg

Window boxes after they were first planted:

imagejpg6.jpg

And today:

IMG_1106.jpg

Your flowers are fabulous, Mr. King. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Hossfly, I hope you get over that stuff. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I will post my underground tricks for you:

(1) Tell the food on your plate it will no longer get the better of you.

(2) Then show it your indignation at the food as follows:

a. Meat portions should never be larger than a deck of cards. Cut all the fat off, because it's the big offender. If it is marbled refuse to eat it because it will eat you if you don't.

b. Don't include bacon fat found in overcooked green beans. By the time the beans are an olive color anyway, they have absolutely no nutrition left in them, and they're so saturated with fat it's like eating a stick of Crisco.

c. Don't eat oversalted, overspiced foods at all. Be snooty. They're bad for you. Feel mistreated, and refuse to eat it. It's garbage.

d. If your medicine is making your muscles hurt, fast for 1 day without taking any medicine. If your muscles improve, call the doctor and tell him the medicine failed. If you like how you feel after fasting, do it one day a week. The medicine will eventually not work anyway. I grew allergic to the three major medicines anyway, so I had to learn to be snooty at the table. If it helps to feel indignant, put it to work for you. After a while, it becomes a natural turn-off to eating in general.

By the time you're turned-off to eating, only eat what you have to.

e. Try eating 1/2 of what you ate before. I promise you will still be sick.

f. Try eating 1/4 of what you ate before. I promise you, you will start feeling better and you won't even need the antacid or whatever drug they gave you. You will also after a few days get used to the smaller portions.

Once you dislike bad food, feel snooty when it's put in front of you, you may not be able to eat it. If you're at a friend's barbecue or something, and you don't want to hurt someone's feelings, take your paper plate to the bathroom and flush the bad stuff. I will never tell on you that you got rid of it, and they won't know for sure.

Best wishes on controlling the GERD. When you find out how easy it is to stand up to foods that are bad for you, you'll like how your stomach feels so much you won't ever torture it again.

g. Oh, yes. Every other day skip a meal. If that doesn't work, eat only 2 meals, and make them small.

h. Don't eat anything after 6 pm when you are at home. It's best for you if the meal you skip is the night meal. When you realize how very good for you it is, you'll enjoy skipping all that bad stuff at night. :)

It probably won't work for anyone else, but I haven't had one iota of trouble for a couple of years since I started getting tough with bad food. It's disgusting at this point in my life, and sometimes it's so disgusting I won't even give it to the dog. :badgrin::badgrin:

Hossfly, I hope you get over that stuff. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I will post my underground tricks for you:

(1) Tell the food on your plate it will no longer get the better of you.

(2) Then show it your indignation at the food as follows:

a. Meat portions should never be larger than a deck of cards. Cut all the fat off, because it's the big offender. If it is marbled refuse to eat it because it will eat you if you don't.

b. Don't include bacon fat found in overcooked green beans. By the time the beans are an olive color anyway, they have absolutely no nutrition left in them, and they're so saturated with fat it's like eating a stick of Crisco.

c. Don't eat oversalted, overspiced foods at all. Be snooty. They're bad for you. Feel mistreated, and refuse to eat it. It's garbage.

d. If your medicine is making your muscles hurt, fast for 1 day without taking any medicine. If your muscles improve, call the doctor and tell him the medicine failed. If you like how you feel after fasting, do it one day a week. The medicine will eventually not work anyway. I grew allergic to the three major medicines anyway, so I had to learn to be snooty at the table. If it helps to feel indignant, put it to work for you. After a while, it becomes a natural turn-off to eating in general.

By the time you're turned-off to eating, only eat what you have to.

e. Try eating 1/2 of what you ate before. I promise you will still be sick.

f. Try eating 1/4 of what you ate before. I promise you, you will start feeling better and you won't even need the antacid or whatever drug they gave you. You will also after a few days get used to the smaller portions.

Once you dislike bad food, feel snooty when it's put in front of you, you may not be able to eat it. If you're at a friend's barbecue or something, and you don't want to hurt someone's feelings, take your paper plate to the bathroom and flush the bad stuff. I will never tell on you that you got rid of it, and they won't know for sure.

Best wishes on controlling the GERD. When you find out how easy it is to stand up to foods that are bad for you, you'll like how your stomach feels so much you won't ever torture it again.

g. Oh, yes. Every other day skip a meal. If that doesn't work, eat only 2 meals, and make them small.

h. Don't eat anything after 6 pm when you are at home. It's best for you if the meal you skip is the night meal. When you realize how very good for you it is, you'll enjoy skipping all that bad stuff at night. :)

It probably won't work for anyone else, but I haven't had one iota of trouble for a couple of years since I started getting tough with bad food. It's disgusting at this point in my life, and sometimes it's so disgusting I won't even give it to the dog. :badgrin::badgrin:

I don't have any stomach problems, but I hear what you are saying. I sort of started doing that when I was still quite young....mostly because I read it somewhere that you could teach (for lack of a better word) yourself to dislike certain foods. For the longest time I couldn't stand cake or pie....which was a good thing because when I was in my 30's, I never had to diet and I was very slim. I let my guard down somewhere along the way and started liking pie and cake, but I still can't eat but a small piece....same with brownies or cookies, and just recently I started disliking chocolate. When we are invited out to dinner I feel bad that I don't really care much for dessert, and have to ask for a very small portion....and sometimes I force myself to eat it.

And damn, when you mentioned the overcooked greenbeans, I remembered I had put some in the microwave to heat up for supper, and forgot to serve them...:lol: I ran downstairs to go salvage them, but fortunately Mr. Mertex had found them and put them back in the fridge....I guess my memory is going....:lol::lol:

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Sheila and Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and cousin,
Ringel and his family in transition and post surgery healing for Mrs. Ringel
Grandma and family dealing with death of extended family member,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Ollie's daughter Angie and his youngest brother,
Stat's aunt,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Forum List

Back