USMB Coffee Shop IV

The side street is a literal river and out back where the roof runoff is there's a pile of hail 2 feet deep.

Two feet deep ! that is a number I can understand. I see that America has not gone metric like Britain.
In Britain they talk of millimetres and metres and I never relate to anything metric, because I was brought up and educated before metric was introduced. I just cannot adjust my mind to visualise any kind of metric measures or weights.

Although I would probably have the same problems, I have long wished the US would switch to the metric system. It just makes more sense. :p

Metric may make more sense if you were brought up with it, but it still means nothing to me. I am just to old to learn new tricks.

Heh, I mean it makes more sense in that it runs off of a base-10 system, not the seemingly random conglomeration of numbers the US measuring systems do. :)

Yes ! it is a more practical system of measurement, but I cannot visualise any metric measurement. I think in inches and feet a miles, and I think in pounds and ounces, and pints. and I think in terms of 75 degrees as warmth. No amount of trying to convert to metric ever makes clear sense to me. I think my brain is fixed because of age and a lifetime of using the old system. The only thing I have adjusted to is metric money, as I use that every day and I have forgotten the old pounds shillings and pence.

The side street is a literal river and out back where the roof runoff is there's a pile of hail 2 feet deep.

Two feet deep ! that is a number I can understand. I see that America has not gone metric like Britain.
In Britain they talk of millimetres and metres and I never relate to anything metric, because I was brought up and educated before metric was introduced. I just cannot adjust my mind to visualise any kind of metric measures or weights.

Although I would probably have the same problems, I have long wished the US would switch to the metric system. It just makes more sense. :p

Metric may make more sense if you were brought up with it, but it still means nothing to me. I am just to old to learn new tricks.

Heh, I mean it makes more sense in that it runs off of a base-10 system, not the seemingly random conglomeration of numbers the US measuring systems do. :)

Yes ! it is a more practical system of measurement, but I cannot visualise any metric measurement. I think in inches and feet a miles, and I think in pounds and ounces, and pints. and I think in terms of 75 degrees as warmth. No amount of trying to convert to metric ever makes clear sense to me. I think my brain is fixed because of age and a lifetime of using the old system. The only thing I have adjusted to is metric money, as I use that every day and I have forgotten the old pounds shillings and pence.

I never think of Celsius in relation to metrics. Celsius might actually make more sense than Fahrenheight, too, but it isn't exactly a base-10 system of measure I don't think. :D

You mean old English measuring system......... right? :D

You mean old English measuring system......... right? :D

Old English, US, whatever. I have no geographical bias, I just like the idea of a clean system that goes by 10s. :lol:

I do like the idea of blaming the Brits for our using such screwed up measurements, though! :rofl:

6ff650f4cca3482310e68eed5bffd2cc.jpg
I don't shakesbeer............ Not a good idea.......

We've acclimated to the summer temps down here, upper 90s to low 100s, it's currently 65 degrees and breezy (plus it's still raining) so it's chilly for us. As for the pool during the summer the pool temp will get to around 89 degrees and that's pretty comfortable but when it drops down to 85 and lower the water starts feeling chilly, lower than 70 degrees and it feels cold. It's probably down in the lower 60s right this minute.

Frozen-frozen-freeze-winter-smiley-emoticon-000590-large.gif

It was interesting that back in Kansas where I ran a large social agency for awhile, among other things we had an olympic size indoor swimming pool that was available to the public for recreational swims but mostly swimming lessons for kids, certification classes for lifeguards and SWI for older teens and adults, and various kinds of water team sports and aquacize classes. One wall of the pool area was floor to ceiling glass so that you could look out into a courtyard area and, in the winter, see the snow falling and piling up, etc.

It was interesting though that for the comfort of our members, we had to keep the pool several degrees warmer in the summer than we did in the winter. If we used winter temps in the summer, they thought the water freezing. If we used summer temps in the winter, they thought the water uncomfortably warm.

Last night it got down to 59 degrees. Added a light comforter to the bed and we both slept like babies, didn't get up till almost 11 AM this morning..........
As for the back yard it looks like I'm gonna get my exercise once it drys out, raking, sweeping and skimming the pool. What I mean by skimming is along the bottom of the pool where all the leaf debris has settled. No storms today so at least I don't have to hold a lightning rod in the water trying to clean the pool out..........

Last night it got down to 59 degrees. Added a light comforter to the bed and we both slept like babies, didn't get up till almost 11 AM this morning..........
As for the back yard it looks like I'm gonna get my exercise once it drys out, raking, sweeping and skimming the pool. What I mean by skimming is along the bottom of the pool where all the leaf debris has settled. No storms today so at least I don't have to hold a lightning rod in the water trying to clean the pool out..........

We've been getting down to the 50s at night for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately that means the little one leaves for school when it's in the 50s but by the time she gets home it's up to the low 70s. I hate to leave her uncovered in the chill morning but hate to have her hot in the afternoon. :p

First day in many that we've had sunshine. It's still not freezing although we had a frost this morning. It didn't last very long. The HR lady at the university finished proof-reading my attachments for my job application. She left the resume alone but had some minor suggestions for my cover letter and a major re-write for my "Philosophy of Teaching". She said it was a little wordy and she tried to tighten up the writing style a bit. I'll have to take a closer look and see whether I like the changes. More likely, I'll cobble together a compromise between her suggestions and my original. I really don't see why I would not get this job. I have been doing it part-time for 15 years. But you never know.
I've been working on a catalog of my DVD collection. I've done it before but when I changed over to Windows 8, I couldn't open the old database. Seems like I own mostly comedy, scify, and horror flicks. Lots of other stuff mixed in, like TV costume dramas (The Tudors, Outlander).
Well, guess I should go secure the milk for my Thursday morning delivery. I made some pepper-jack cheese to trade for moose meat. I admit I didn't really hunt that hard because I could just not face the prospect of processing 800-900 lbs of meat.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

We've acclimated to the summer temps down here, upper 90s to low 100s, it's currently 65 degrees and breezy (plus it's still raining) so it's chilly for us. As for the pool during the summer the pool temp will get to around 89 degrees and that's pretty comfortable but when it drops down to 85 and lower the water starts feeling chilly, lower than 70 degrees and it feels cold. It's probably down in the lower 60s right this minute.

It was interesting that back in Kansas where I ran a large social agency for awhile, among other things we had an olympic size indoor swimming pool that was available to the public for recreational swims but mostly swimming lessons for kids, certification classes for lifeguards and SWI for older teens and adults, and various kinds of water team sports and aquacize classes. One wall of the pool area was floor to ceiling glass so that you could look out into a courtyard area and, in the winter, see the snow falling and piling up, etc.

It was interesting though that for the comfort of our members, we had to keep the pool several degrees warmer in the summer than we did in the winter. If we used winter temps in the summer, they thought the water freezing. If we used summer temps in the winter, they thought the water uncomfortably warm.
It's acclimation, in spring when the temps hit the upper 50s and lower 60s it feels nice and warm, in the fall those same temps feel cool to cold depending on what the summer temp ranges are, same with water temps.

It's acclimation, in spring when the temps hit the upper 50s and lower 60s it feels nice and warm, in the fall those same temps feel cool to cold depending on what the summer temp ranges are, same with water temps.

And probably informs us how much our brain/perception regulates our comfort levels.

This morning the hail pile in the corner is still 6 inches deep......

IMG_20151021_151014558.jpg

How many millimetres is that ?

6 inches = 152.4 millimeters. (American spelling :))

I have an American spell checker, but it did not pick up on that. I wanted an English spell checker because I do not want to learn to use American spelling, but I could not find one. Mind you I think there is a spell checker built into this forum, unless it comes with windows 7.

I have an American spell checker, but it did not pick up on that. I wanted an English spell checker because I do not want to learn to use American spelling, but I could not find one. Mind you I think there is a spell checker built into this forum, unless it comes with windows 7.

I don't think a spell checker would help with that one as metre and meter are usually considered correct spelling. At any rate I was just teasing a bit. :)

Anyhow, you guys invented the language. I sure don't think you should be the ones expected to adapt to different spellings for the words in it. :)

I don't think a spell checker would help with that one as metre and meter are usually considered correct spelling. At any rate I was just teasing a bit. :)

Anyhow, you guys invented the language. I sure don't think you should be the ones expected to adapt to different spellings for the words in it. :)

I would be screwed without a spellchecker.

I would be screwed without a spellchecker.
Wy? Somtims no spelceker can bee fun....... :D

Your browser is likely doing your spell checking.

Probably because you feel so much hotter in the summer, so the water just feels colder.

Forum List

Back