USMB Coffee Shop IV

This morning the hail pile in the corner is still 6 inches deep......

IMG_20151021_151014558.jpg

I posted some pictures around here somewhere last winter when we had feet and feet of snow! I'm not looking forward to that, honestly. :D Maybe we won't get as much this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

We've acclimated to the summer temps down here, upper 90s to low 100s, it's currently 65 degrees and breezy (plus it's still raining) so it's chilly for us. As for the pool during the summer the pool temp will get to around 89 degrees and that's pretty comfortable but when it drops down to 85 and lower the water starts feeling chilly, lower than 70 degrees and it feels cold. It's probably down in the lower 60s right this minute.

Frozen-frozen-freeze-winter-smiley-emoticon-000590-large.gif

It was interesting that back in Kansas where I ran a large social agency for awhile, among other things we had an olympic size indoor swimming pool that was available to the public for recreational swims but mostly swimming lessons for kids, certification classes for lifeguards and SWI for older teens and adults, and various kinds of water team sports and aquacize classes. One wall of the pool area was floor to ceiling glass so that you could look out into a courtyard area and, in the winter, see the snow falling and piling up, etc.

It was interesting though that for the comfort of our members, we had to keep the pool several degrees warmer in the summer than we did in the winter. If we used winter temps in the summer, they thought the water freezing. If we used summer temps in the winter, they thought the water uncomfortably warm.

Probably because you feel so much hotter in the summer, so the water just feels colder.
Yup. In the summer, I want the house 68 degrees and in the winter I want it 74.
In practice, I do about the opposite.

We've acclimated to the summer temps down here, upper 90s to low 100s, it's currently 65 degrees and breezy (plus it's still raining) so it's chilly for us. As for the pool during the summer the pool temp will get to around 89 degrees and that's pretty comfortable but when it drops down to 85 and lower the water starts feeling chilly, lower than 70 degrees and it feels cold. It's probably down in the lower 60s right this minute.

It was interesting that back in Kansas where I ran a large social agency for awhile, among other things we had an olympic size indoor swimming pool that was available to the public for recreational swims but mostly swimming lessons for kids, certification classes for lifeguards and SWI for older teens and adults, and various kinds of water team sports and aquacize classes. One wall of the pool area was floor to ceiling glass so that you could look out into a courtyard area and, in the winter, see the snow falling and piling up, etc.

It was interesting though that for the comfort of our members, we had to keep the pool several degrees warmer in the summer than we did in the winter. If we used winter temps in the summer, they thought the water freezing. If we used summer temps in the winter, they thought the water uncomfortably warm.

Probably because you feel so much hotter in the summer, so the water just feels colder.
Yup. In the summer, I want the house 68 degrees and in the winter I want it 74.
In practice, I do about the opposite.

You don't even have a winter, Ernie! :D

I don't know. The pool is inside an environmentally controlled building so a person who had been doing other things for several hours and then goes for a swim you would think wouldn't be so sensitive to variations in water temps but it doesn't seem to matter if it is somebody who has been inside with us for most of the day or somebody who has just come in from the outside. The phenomenon seems to be just as seasonal for both.

I posted some pictures around here somewhere last winter when we had feet and feet of snow! I'm not looking forward to that, honestly. :D Maybe we won't get as much this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

I seem to recall that the massive El Nino expected to develop this winter will bring higher than normal temps to your area but that might not translate into less snow.

I don't know. The pool is inside an environmentally controlled building so a person who had been doing other things for several hours and then goes for a swim you would think wouldn't be so sensitive to variations in water temps but it doesn't seem to matter if it is somebody who has been inside with us for most of the day or somebody who has just come in from the outside. The phenomenon seems to be just as seasonal for both.

Well, your weather there is a lot different. It gets really really REALLY cold here in the winter, so a 65-degree pool would probably feel very warm. In the summer, it gets very, very hot and humid, so if you get the outer surface of your body really hot the water is going to feel cooler.

Sure we have winter. The year before last we had an ice storm that closed schools for 2 days. 20 miles north, they actually had almost an inch of snow. We have frosts, I've seen 19 degrees here, but the ground doesn't freeze.
We have fall and have to rake leaves and we have spring with flowers and new leaves.
We have no snow. And THAT is fine with me.

I seem to recall that the massive El Nino expected to develop this winter will bring higher than normal temps to your area but that might not translate into less snow.

I'll take it! Lol!

Sure we have winter. The year before last we had an ice storm that closed schools for 2 days. 20 miles north, they actually had almost an inch of snow. We have frosts, I've seen 19 degrees here, but the ground doesn't freeze.
We have fall and have to rake leaves and we have spring with flowers and new leaves.

Yeah, I would take that instead of here where we have months on end of snow and below freezing weather! :D It is very unusually warm here for this time of year right now, and I'm loving it.

Yesterday it was in the 80's. Today it is in the high 60's lower 70's...but overcast. I think Fall has finally arrived. My joints are having a fit. Time to dig out the heavier quilts I guess cuz at night it is high 50's. I wish it would rain but our rainy season is January and February. Unless El Nino happens and nobody is sure it will hit us at all. Everywhere else got floods and rains in Calif...except us. :(

But, this weekend (sunday) is our Oktoberfest, so I am looking forward to that. Rain or not. The food vendors make it smell so good there, and the street faire has so many wonderful things to buy. I might get a new purse. Maybe a new hat for winter. :)

Yeah, I would take that instead of here where we have months on end of snow and below freezing weather! :D It is very unusually warm here for this time of year right now, and I'm loving it.
It's currently 78 and quite comfortable here. The weather guesser is predicting highs about 80 and lows in the low 60s for the next week.. After that, it looks like it will be cooling off some.

It's currently 78 and quite comfortable here. The weather guesser is predicting highs about 80 and lows in the low 60s for the next week.. After that, it looks like it will be cooling off some.

It's almost as warm here today! It was 71 here today! It's very cloudy and overcast too though and we are expecting a cool front, so the temps are probably going to be more towards the 50s and 60s for the weekend. Still, I'll take it. Better than freezing my tush off! :lol:

We wouldn't want THAT to happen.

I WANT A CIGARETTE!!!!!!
I have so far resisted, but.... Time for a fresh patch. Maybe that and a cup of coffee will make it subside.

Dayum! Saw a mouse in the house the other day. Yesterday I went to grab some rice from the pantry and found that I was infested. Everything has been removed and cleaned and open containers tossed out.

First day in many that we've had sunshine. It's still not freezing although we had a frost this morning. It didn't last very long. The HR lady at the university finished proof-reading my attachments for my job application. She left the resume alone but had some minor suggestions for my cover letter and a major re-write for my "Philosophy of Teaching". She said it was a little wordy and she tried to tighten up the writing style a bit. I'll have to take a closer look and see whether I like the changes. More likely, I'll cobble together a compromise between her suggestions and my original. I really don't see why I would not get this job. I have been doing it part-time for 15 years. But you never know.
I've been working on a catalog of my DVD collection. I've done it before but when I changed over to Windows 8, I couldn't open the old database. Seems like I own mostly comedy, scify, and horror flicks. Lots of other stuff mixed in, like TV costume dramas (The Tudors, Outlander).
Well, guess I should go secure the milk for my Thursday morning delivery. I made some pepper-jack cheese to trade for moose meat. I admit I didn't really hunt that hard because I could just not face the prospect of processing 800-900 lbs of meat.

Good luck to you, GW! :) Hope you get it!
Thank you! I feel pretty stressed even thinking about changing jobs, but I know it will be better for me in the long run. I am no longer a spring chicken and should consider a nice, dry, warm, indoor job.

Forum List

Back