USMB Coffee Shop IV

Most of the time I just stick with worms. They're easy to acquire. Prior to going fishing, just give a section of the back yard lawn a real good soaking. The worms will start flocking up. I have some lures as well, but usually had better results with the worms.
Some of the places I fish don't allow live bait or dead bait or treble hooks.
When they say 'single hook artificial lure only', I know they mean fly fishing, but I've swapped hooks on a rooster tail or spoon to meet the requirements.

a few places I fish require barbless hooks.
Barbless hooks means catch and release.

I've used pliers to smash the barb out of effectiveness at times when I played catch and release.

Guess I shall mosey up to bed. Good night everybody.

sleeping-black-lab.jpg

My best friend's dad passed away Friday. They lived a few houses down from us when we were growing up. We've known each other over 50 years now. He's an only child and he lost his mother just two years ago. I went over to his parents' house and spent the night. We were invited over to a neighbor's house that evening and we all got stinking drunk and had a hoot. He really needed that.

Anyhow his dad was 90 and served in the Navy way back when. At the internment there were military honors and those gentlemen did it with such poise and professionalism. Just before it concluded out of nowhere comes a Naval officer in full uniform. He slowly saluted the casket then turned and slowly saluted my friend, knelt, and stated the "On behalf of the President of the United States..." I've been to military burials before but this one just left me in awe.

I reminded him that he's not alone and that my family is his family. Here it is Wednesday and he's still over there tying up estate stuff and other loose ends. After the funeral, a few of us took him out to the local sportsman's club and we let the lead fly.

It was strange, six grown men carrying that casket and when we first lifted it, it was light as a feather but the closer we got to the hearse it was the heaviest thing.

Ahhh... on a happier note.... Mrs. H. just got hired on full-time. It's been three years since she's held a decent paying job. And it couldn't have come at a better time since the kid goes off to college in August. :thup:

As Commander of an American Legion Post it has fallen on me to give that little speech,
On behalf of the President of the United state, American Legion post 247 and a grateful nation........I almost always tear up going through it...

We heard it twice. When my friend was presented the Flag, and when the Naval Officer recited it. I was shaking, trying to hold back.

Oh- and we heard a bosun's whistle just before the Naval Officer entered the tent.

It was all so fitting. This gentleman who passed away was a man's man. That's the only way I can describe him. He didn't take shit from anybody and told it like it is.The whole event was one of the most sobering experiences of my life. And I couldn't help but remember myself sitting there 47 years ago when my father died. I vividly remember my mother being presented the Flag.

I was sitting next to my friend during it all. A Veteran walked up and put a fistful of shell casings in my hand from the 21 gun volley. Damn what a day that was.

Such good news for the Ringels, but keep those prayers and good vibes going everybody. Giving Mr. H a Mama Fox welcome home ((hug)) and congrats for Mrs. H.

And for everybody. . . .

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and cousin,
Grandma and family dealing with death of extended family member,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Ollie's daughter Angie and his youngest brother,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Every once in awhile I will have a double post like that--usually I get the message that it is a duplicate and the second one doesn't go through, but not every single time. If I notice it happened, I just delete one of them, but I'm sure I missed some along the way too.

I think most of us have double posted at one time or another. :thup:

I never do that.

Personally, I never make any mistakes whatsoever, never, ever. :D

When they say 'single hook artificial lure only', I know they mean fly fishing, but I've swapped hooks on a rooster tail or spoon to meet the requirements.

a few places I fish require barbless hooks.
Barbless hooks means catch and release.

I've used pliers to smash the barb out of effectiveness at times when I played catch and release.

yes, they are catch and release areas

Wow, that dog is so shiny and beautiful, it doesn't look real.

He seems comfy tho.

That looks very much like what my dog looked like. She had a beautiful coat. If you give your dog a cod liver oil supplement, it will have the most beautiful coat. Consult with your vet.

We don't have a black dog anymore. Two blondies and they're not really mine, they're my daughter's and they live with her. They're so sweet, I claim them too tho.

Would cod liver oil give them diarrhea?

Wow, that dog is so shiny and beautiful, it doesn't look real.

He seems comfy tho.

That looks very much like what my dog looked like. She had a beautiful coat. If you give your dog a cod liver oil supplement, it will have the most beautiful coat. Consult with your vet.

We don't have a black dog anymore. Two blondies and they're not really mine, they're my daughter's and they live with her. They're so sweet, I claim them too tho.

Would cod liver oil give them diarrhea?

It never gave my dog diarrhea. The glossy coat effect should work on a blond dog too. Do some research and/or ask your vet. Even when she was old and gray around the muzzle, her coat was beautiful and shiny.

The trout are always biting. One just has to figure out what they are biting on.
Trout are fickle, one hour it may be a dardevle spoon, the next hour it may be live bait like a worm or the next hour a rooster tail or bumblebee fly. I have friends that like to stick with their "tried and true lures" for hours on end as they catch nothing. I'll switch up my lures and try live bait quite quickly until I find what's working for the moment. When I find the right thing and start reeling them in, my buddies always ask, "What are they biting on?" I love to reply with the sentence from the movie A River Runs Through It, "The end of my line".
We do share what works though. Sometimes their 'tried and true' are what works for the hour or day.
Most of the time I just stick with worms. They're easy to acquire. Prior to going fishing, just give a section of the back yard lawn a real good soaking. The worms will start flocking up. I have some lures as well, but usually had better results with the worms.
yup, that's why I always carry lures as well. But I prefer to go out of the way, and head to an isolated watering hole, or river, which have no rules on live bait.

The trout are always biting. One just has to figure out what they are biting on.
Trout are fickle, one hour it may be a dardevle spoon, the next hour it may be live bait like a worm or the next hour a rooster tail or bumblebee fly. I have friends that like to stick with their "tried and true lures" for hours on end as they catch nothing. I'll switch up my lures and try live bait quite quickly until I find what's working for the moment. When I find the right thing and start reeling them in, my buddies always ask, "What are they biting on?" I love to reply with the sentence from the movie A River Runs Through It, "The end of my line".
We do share what works though. Sometimes their 'tried and true' are what works for the hour or day.
The best bait I know of is a hand grenade. Works every time.
Sounds interesting, worth a try. I can't use live grenades since they're outlawed for private citizens, but I can acquire a class III license and use TNT (dynamite) instead. I'm curious how much fish I can net with the dynamite. Only thing is I'll need to make sure the area that I'm fishing at is relatively far away from civilization, as I don't want to alarm anyone with the blast from the dynamite ... lol

Forum List

Back