USMB Coffee Shop IV

The trout are always biting. One just has to figure out what they are biting on.
Trout are fickle, one hour it may be a dardevle spoon, the next hour it may be live bait like a worm or the next hour a rooster tail or bumblebee fly. I have friends that like to stick with their "tried and true lures" for hours on end as they catch nothing. I'll switch up my lures and try live bait quite quickly until I find what's working for the moment. When I find the right thing and start reeling them in, my buddies always ask, "What are they biting on?" I love to reply with the sentence from the movie A River Runs Through It, "The end of my line".
We do share what works though. Sometimes their 'tried and true' are what works for the hour or day.
Most of the time I just stick with worms. They're easy to acquire. Prior to going fishing, just give a section of the back yard lawn a real good soaking. The worms will start flocking up. I have some lures as well, but usually had better results with the worms.
The best bait I know of is a hand grenade. Works every time.

As kids, we always found an M80 works pretty well...plus they're easier to acquire than hand grenades, and more subtle.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Bears are very uncommon in my neck of the woods. Several weeks ago a black bear was sighted in Winnabago County and then in several other nearby locations. Well, today, this black bear is up in my neighbor's tree and has been there all day. This neighbor lives about a mile from my house. Local news has been going nuts covering this on their news broadcasts. If that bear makes his way to my house I plan on grinning him to death just like Davey Crockett did!

Would you like my recipe for Bear-B-Que? Or how about Sauerbearten? (Bear makes great sauerbraten, almost as good as horse.)

No thank you. I ate plenty of bear when I was a kid growing up. It's not that I don't like it. I just would rather have lobster.

Good morning, everybody. Coffee sure is good this morning. Have to go to court today. If you remember, last fall a fellow was caught by the game warden hunting on my farm without permission (trespassing), hunting over bait, and a host of other infractions. I get to hear him explain his actions to the judge this afternoon at 1:00 pm. Hope they have popcorn and a beverage to enjoy while watching this show.

THe DNR in the area I hunt is on a power trip. I have a long story, but won't bore you. Suffice it to say, they have far too much authority in MN.

My farm is often over-run with people trespassing to hunt during the deer season. Time to crack down on it. Don't know what you mean by "far too much authority in MN" but in my mind, if you aren't breaking the law you should have nothing to complain about.

Barbless hooks means catch and release.

I've used pliers to smash the barb out of effectiveness at times when I played catch and release.

yes, they are catch and release areas

That is the only way I could ever justify fishing (for myself only ) --practicing catch and release. Even then, though.....:( It may be traumatic for fish, but at least they continue staying alive and living free. :thup: I try not to think of the fish once a year when I am chowing down on some halibut, just as I try not to think of eggs, when I am downing them. Same thing with beef, which is probably why I rarely eat beef.

I think fishing is a great activity for those who need and enjoy it. It is cathartic. I love the thought of a man in a boat or standing in the water, on a sunny day, in a rushing river in Wyoming, fly-fishing. :) The movie, The River Runs Through It, comes to mind.

Good morning everyone...may you make a good day.

Good morning!
I'm the opposite, I find no joy in catch and release. It may be cathartic for some people, but fishing is pretty boring in my book. If I fish, it's gonna be dinner. The only reason I see to catch the things is if you're going to eat them.

I was forced into economic exile back in the mid 1980s. The industrial base, steel and chemicals, was routed here in the Ohio River valley and we struggled with double digit unemployment from 1980 through the early 1990s. So I packed up and moved to sunny Florida. Sarasota, specifically.

I was amazed by all the Rust Belt expatriates there. One could instantly tell if someone was a native Floridian, or a troubled Northerner looking for work. the Northern folks all had great stereo systems, extensive album collections, big televisions and even VHS recorders and movie collections. The Southerns had bass boats, jet skis, fishing equipment that would humble any angler from Ohio and motorcycles.

The Florida boys taught me to trot line fish for catfish. Now, I was no stranger to the rod and reel, but this trot line method was intriguing. It all begins with a trip to Piggly Wiggly for chicken livers. They are sold in little pint containers like cottage cheese. You take your container of livers outside, remove the lid and let them fester in the hot Florida sun all day. In the evening, you swat away the flies that have congregated on the livers in Biblical proportions.

Then, you rendezvous at a mosquito infested lake and prepare the trot line. This consists of a few one gallon plastic milk jugs used as floats, a spool of butcher's twine and several fish hooks. The twine is strung along between the milk jugs like the rope dividing the deep end from the shallow end in a swimming pool. You must cut several lengths of the remaining twine (about two feet long each) and tie those to the main line so they are dangling beneath the surface of the water. A fish hook is tied to each length of twine and the hook is baited with a piece of the rancid chicken liver. The whole apparatus is then strung across the lake by way of canoe and Off mosquito spray.

After the trot line is in place, it is customary to retire to a camp fire to tell each other lies and share cold bottles of beer. It is mandatory that one sits upon a five gallon plastic bucket. Once your butt has been impressed with a sore red ring from the rim of the bucket, it's time to get into the canoe and check the lines. This step is necessary to ensure the catfish have had time to notice the 'treat' of putrid livers set out for their benefit. Should you be lucky enough to catch one of these catfish, you must place it in the bottom of the canoe and re-bait the hook.

After three or four hours of swatting mosquitoes, drinking beer, getting a ring imprinted around your hind quarters and swapping tall tales, it's time to pack up your catch of catfish and head home.

And they call fishing a sport. Any sport during which you can drink beer and smoke cigarettes ain't a sport. Like bowling or golf, this trot line fishing technique is more like a pastime than a sport.

I think I'll put on an album and dream of ice skating.

That seems similar to how we used to catch blue crabs where I grew up. We'd use "heat-treated" chicken wings or drumsticks tied to a length of twine. We'd lower the bait down the pier leg until you could just see it and wait. When a crab found the chicken, you slowly pull the bait back towards the surface until the crab was within net-scoop range, et voila! crab for dinner!

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Bears are very uncommon in my neck of the woods. Several weeks ago a black bear was sighted in Winnabago County and then in several other nearby locations. Well, today, this black bear is up in my neighbor's tree and has been there all day. This neighbor lives about a mile from my house. Local news has been going nuts covering this on their news broadcasts. If that bear makes his way to my house I plan on grinning him to death just like Davey Crockett did!

Would you like my recipe for Bear-B-Que? Or how about Sauerbearten? (Bear makes great sauerbraten, almost as good as horse.)

No thank you. I ate plenty of bear when I was a kid growing up. It's not that I don't like it. I just would rather have lobster.

Lobster is OK, but I find king or golden crab to be much tastier.

A great, good morning, everyone!
Kids are sleeping late this morning, I'm just goofing off around the CS. I just finished my third cup of coffee and have started a fresh pot for the daughter when she comes downstairs.
Sad to report, the shed will not be finished this trip out. My original idea was to put the thing on skids. My partner begged me to allow him to put in pilings, more permanent and added value to the structure. OK. He knew the time schedule. I allowed three weeks so we could have a leisurely time putting this thing together. He told me the first weekend that the concrete work was "not gonna happen", at least not until late July. OK. So the daughter and I spent the first week cleaning, sorting, and organizing the colossal mess my partner prefers (apparently). I finally threw in the towel, leveled up the under structure and my daughter and I began work. Well, my partner rolls in this past weekend and instead of working on his project, he spent the day "correcting" my project. My buddy, who comes out to fell trees and dig stumps could not believe what was going on!
I'm guessing that since I have made clear my intention to pull stakes and roll South next summer, the partner is doing his usual passive-aggressive cock-blocking. I'm not sure whether he does this stuff intentionally, or it's subconscious. All I know is, when I leave next summer, I will greatly regret leaving Alaska...the partner, yeah, not so much. He can have the cabin (for the time being) and he can damned well figure out how to do for himself. I may not have the option of divorce, but I can damned well clear the door before it hits me in the ass.
For now, he has cheated me out of someone who is congenial and fun to work with, my daughter. We've had a blast and she's learned a lot. She finally attempted toe-nailing yesterday and did very well. The lower frame is up and about as square and level as anything I've ever done before. Today, we'll be putting on the loft floor. Maybe we'll even get the jig rigged for the trusses. Build trusses tomorrow and I hope, maybe to get them up before we leave here Sunday. Oh, well, I'll be back in a couple of weeks to put the roof on, another weekend for the siding. The granddaughters are going to pick out the paint and trim colors and I'll try to get it painted before the snow flies.

Good morning, everybody. Coffee sure is good this morning. Have to go to court today. If you remember, last fall a fellow was caught by the game warden hunting on my farm without permission (trespassing), hunting over bait, and a host of other infractions. I get to hear him explain his actions to the judge this afternoon at 1:00 pm. Hope they have popcorn and a beverage to enjoy while watching this show.

THe DNR in the area I hunt is on a power trip. I have a long story, but won't bore you. Suffice it to say, they have far too much authority in MN.

My farm is often over-run with people trespassing to hunt during the deer season. Time to crack down on it. Don't know what you mean by "far too much authority in MN" but in my mind, if you aren't breaking the law you should have nothing to complain about.

They think they answer to no one. They answer to the law abiding taxpayers of the state.

I'm sort of with BBD on this one. Unless the fish are going to be dinner, why fish? Catch and release, just to do it, seems sort of mean to the fish. But then I gave up fishing when I started feeling sorry for the poor fish. And then the minnow used for bait. And then the worm or cricket or whatever. . .so the fish from Albertson's taste pretty good properly seasoned and cooked. (That way somebody else has to be mean and not me. :))

the top pieces replaced are not the same ones cut out. it loses a little over all height
You start with a grid that's six rectangles high and four wide. Yet you are left, even after removing one of the rectangles with a grid six high and four wide. In other words, Foxy, don't rely on me to be one of those guys smarter than anyone!

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I'm sort of with BBD on this one. Unless the fish are going to be dinner, why fish? Catch and release, just to do it, seems sort of mean to the fish. But then I gave up fishing when I started feeling sorry for the poor fish. And then the minnow used for bait. And then the worm or cricket or whatever. . .so the fish from Albertson's taste pretty good properly seasoned and cooked. (That way somebody else has to be mean and not me. :))

I also think that catch and release is cruel.
How do we know if the fish are still OK?
For all we know they may get infections where they get hooked and die days or weeks later, or maybe they get so stressed about getting caught they die a few hours later.

Just got back from Denver, well actually Stuff-Mart. They're going to do the full hysterectomy and bowel exploratory to make absolutely sure the cancer didn't spread and they're doing it tomorrow afternoon. She'll be in the hospital for 2 to 5 days depending on what they find.
I'm exhausted, I can't even imagine what my wife is going through.

Just got back from Denver, well actually Stuff-Mart. They're going to do the full hysterectomy and bowel exploratory to make absolutely sure the cancer didn't spread and they're doing it tomorrow afternoon. She'll be in the hospital for 2 to 5 days depending on what they find.

The fact that they are doing it immediately can be interpreted in a number of ways, I think, but mostly in the positive sense - that they want to get this done without delay.

My best, warmest and kindest thoughts go with you, Ringel, and with your wife, during this time.

Well, the bench trial is over for the fella the Conservation Police caught hunting over bait, trespassing, and a host of other infractions. It was very interesting to watch justice in action. One thing that I did not know is that shortly after this fellow was caught by the Conservation Police hunting illegally, the local police caught him dealing drugs and he is awaiting trial for that also. Prior to his actual trial, the State's Attorney and the Conservation Police and I had a conference because the defendant want to make a plea deal. A deal was struck and I think it was fair. The plea deal was that he would loose the hunting gear that the Conservation Police caught him with on my property, fines totaling over $2,000, possession of no dangerous weapons for two years, loss of his FOID card, unable to hunt for two years and must go back in front of the judge to ask permission to hunt after the two year period, and no contact with me or ever coming back on to the property. That's a lot of justice but you have to understand that this person is not one of our county's finest citizens. I'm pretty sure he is going to end up getting jail time when he goes back to court next week for his trial concerning his drug arrest.

No, you don't quite understand me concerning fishing. I love to fish. I have fished all of my life. I do catch and release though because Mrs. BBD doesn't like fish (except the cod they cook at the Catholic church during lent - she will eat a little of it.) She takes a very dim view of cooking fish for me. So, I catch and release. When I want to eat fish, I get it at someplace that serves seafood. However, I must say that I don't go fishing very often. When I was much younger I fished nearly all the time. These days, just now and then. My brother, now there's a different story. If God ever calls him home he will most likely find him fishing someplace when it's his time to get on the bus bound for heaven.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

I know what she is going through because I myself went through it.
It is very exhausting mentally and psychically.
She will be very sore for about 2 weeks and won't really be able to walk well for a about 7 to 10 days.
In two weeks she will be fine and happy that it is all over and done with.

Both of you will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back