USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today's celeb no. 2 drinking coffee:

b1bd4616d44ea11e1489f99b9d087d47.jpg

Robert Pattinson (Harry Potter)

That's Jon Kortajarena don't ask how I know :lol:

Good morning everyone!

Last edited:
By the way, good news. The CT scan my wife had showed no spread of the cancer so we're pretty sure it was stage one.
That is great, Ringel! Just a matter of her having the surgery as quickly as possible. Generally for stage 1's, there is usually no need for any chemo or radiation treatment after the surgery.

Okay, I'm up...... Coffee! IV! STAT!!
Get to join in the morning rush hour up to Denver, hopefully the accident on I 25, north Colorado Springs will be cleared by the time we hit the road.

Coming up yesterday we ran through a sand/dust storm just north of Pueblo and because the wife was clearing the imaging iodine out of her system (downing gallons of water) we had to stop at the rest area in the middle of the storm...... Ever felt like you were being sandblasted? And driving in it....... Staying in one's lane with the winds buffeting you all over the road is challenging enough.......

Good morning, everybody. Coffee sure is good this morning. Have to go to court today. If you remember, last fall a fellow was caught by the game warden hunting on my farm without permission (trespassing), hunting over bait, and a host of other infractions. I get to hear him explain his actions to the judge this afternoon at 1:00 pm. Hope they have popcorn and a beverage to enjoy while watching this show.

a few places I fish require barbless hooks.
Barbless hooks means catch and release.

I've used pliers to smash the barb out of effectiveness at times when I played catch and release.

yes, they are catch and release areas

That is the only way I could ever justify fishing (for myself only ) --practicing catch and release. Even then, though.....:( It may be traumatic for fish, but at least they continue staying alive and living free. :thup: I try not to think of the fish once a year when I am chowing down on some halibut, just as I try not to think of eggs, when I am downing them. Same thing with beef, which is probably why I rarely eat beef.

I think fishing is a great activity for those who need and enjoy it. It is cathartic. I love the thought of a man in a boat or standing in the water, on a sunny day, in a rushing river in Wyoming, fly-fishing. :) The movie, The River Runs Through It, comes to mind.

Good morning everyone...may you make a good day.

Barbless hooks means catch and release.

I've used pliers to smash the barb out of effectiveness at times when I played catch and release.

That is the only way I could ever justify fishing (for myself only ) --practicing catch and release. Even then, though.....:( It may be traumatic for fish, but at least they continue staying alive and living free. :thup: I try not to think of the fish once a year when I am chowing down on some halibut, just as I try not to think of eggs, when I am downing them. Same thing with beef, which is probably why I rarely eat beef.

I think fishing is a great activity for those who need and enjoy it. It is cathartic. I love the thought of a man in a boat or standing in the water, on a sunny day, in a rushing river in Wyoming, fly-fishing. :) The movie, The River Runs Through It, comes to mind.

most of what i catch i release. If I catch something that i think won't make it, like a trout that has swallowed the hook, i keep it then. there are times i go out with the intent of catching a meal. but most of the time it is recreational. most of the time i use barbless, whethere required or not. the majority of the fish i catch are bass on a lure. they have that membrainy, non fleshy lip. so i don't think they have all that much trauma. then again, i'm not a bass lol

most of what i catch i release. If I catch something that i think won't make it, like a trout that has swallowed the hook, i keep it then. there are times i go out with the intent of catching a meal. but most of the time it is recreational. most of the time i use barbless, whethere required or not. the majority of the fish i catch are bass on a lure. they have that membrainy, non fleshy lip. so i don't think they have all that much trauma. then again, i'm not a bass lol

We keep and eat almost everything we cathc, except bluegills. We just don't like them. And they are all over in Minn.

Good morning, everybody. Coffee sure is good this morning. Have to go to court today. If you remember, last fall a fellow was caught by the game warden hunting on my farm without permission (trespassing), hunting over bait, and a host of other infractions. I get to hear him explain his actions to the judge this afternoon at 1:00 pm. Hope they have popcorn and a beverage to enjoy while watching this show.

THe DNR in the area I hunt is on a power trip. I have a long story, but won't bore you. Suffice it to say, they have far too much authority in MN.

We keep and eat almost everything we cathc, except bluegills. We just don't like them. And they are all over in Minn.

i occasionally go for them. really big ones. we call them panfish here. a little boney but good meat

I was forced into economic exile back in the mid 1980s. The industrial base, steel and chemicals, was routed here in the Ohio River valley and we struggled with double digit unemployment from 1980 through the early 1990s. So I packed up and moved to sunny Florida. Sarasota, specifically.

I was amazed by all the Rust Belt expatriates there. One could instantly tell if someone was a native Floridian, or a troubled Northerner looking for work. the Northern folks all had great stereo systems, extensive album collections, big televisions and even VHS recorders and movie collections. The Southerns had bass boats, jet skis, fishing equipment that would humble any angler from Ohio and motorcycles.

The Florida boys taught me to trot line fish for catfish. Now, I was no stranger to the rod and reel, but this trot line method was intriguing. It all begins with a trip to Piggly Wiggly for chicken livers. They are sold in little pint containers like cottage cheese. You take your container of livers outside, remove the lid and let them fester in the hot Florida sun all day. In the evening, you swat away the flies that have congregated on the livers in Biblical proportions.

Then, you rendezvous at a mosquito infested lake and prepare the trot line. This consists of a few one gallon plastic milk jugs used as floats, a spool of butcher's twine and several fish hooks. The twine is strung along between the milk jugs like the rope dividing the deep end from the shallow end in a swimming pool. You must cut several lengths of the remaining twine (about two feet long each) and tie those to the main line so they are dangling beneath the surface of the water. A fish hook is tied to each length of twine and the hook is baited with a piece of the rancid chicken liver. The whole apparatus is then strung across the lake by way of canoe and Off mosquito spray.

After the trot line is in place, it is customary to retire to a camp fire to tell each other lies and share cold bottles of beer. It is mandatory that one sits upon a five gallon plastic bucket. Once your butt has been impressed with a sore red ring from the rim of the bucket, it's time to get into the canoe and check the lines. This step is necessary to ensure the catfish have had time to notice the 'treat' of putrid livers set out for their benefit. Should you be lucky enough to catch one of these catfish, you must place it in the bottom of the canoe and re-bait the hook.

After three or four hours of swatting mosquitoes, drinking beer, getting a ring imprinted around your hind quarters and swapping tall tales, it's time to pack up your catch of catfish and head home.

And they call fishing a sport. Any sport during which you can drink beer and smoke cigarettes ain't a sport. Like bowling or golf, this trot line fishing technique is more like a pastime than a sport.

I think I'll put on an album and dream of ice skating.

You realize I am gonna rep for you that, right?!?! :thup:

I love catfish, trout, pike and above all, Salmon.

SALMON!!!

Now, we need to think of a good sauce to go with that. Tartar Sauce is just so 2013, you know.

:D
With catfish, you can't go wrong with a Cajun sauce. OLD BAY seasoning will work.

Cajun sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
1 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder

Mix the following in a medium bowl ... mayo, milk, OLD BAY, thyme, honey and garlic powder until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Catfish is good and that sounds like a good sauce.
Here's a good recipe for trout.

Go camping.
Catch some trout.
Clean the trout at the lake or river and throw the guts in the water for the turtles or crayfish. Alternatively, if you have a crayfish trap, you can put the guts in that so you can eat crayfish later.
Start a campfire and let it build up a good base of coals.
OK, now that we have the hard part out of the way, time to prepare the fish.

Dice a yellow onion.
Lay out a piece of foil large enough to wrap the fish in.
Place two or three large pats of real butter on the foil.
Sprinkle garlic powder, black pepper, fresh or dried dill and light salt over the butter.
Squeeze half a lemon on top of the butter and spices.
Put a couple slivers of real butter in the fishes cavity and stuff the rest of the cavity with the diced onion.
Lay the fish on top of the butter, spices and lemon juice.
Place two or three large pats of real butter on the fish.
Sprinkle garlic powder, black pepper, fresh or dried dill and light salt over the fish.
Squeeze half a lemon on top of everything, taking care not to wash the spices off of the fish.
Fold the foil over the fish into a pouch keeping the excess foil on the topside.
Lay down another piece of foil and place the foil heavy side of the wrapped fish on the bottom and wrap the new foil heavy side up. Alternatively, you can wrap two fish in the second piece of foil.
Cook the fish over the campfire. This is the tricky part. It depends upon how hot the coals are, how far from the coals the fish is (primitive camping, the foil wrapped fish is laid directly on the coal bed) and how thick the fish is.

I can't tell you how long to cook the fish. After many years of cooking trout over campfires both with and without a grill, I've just learned to master the skill based upon experience. In general, for a trout about 1.5 inches thick, 1 to 1.5 minutes per side if laid directly on top of the coals and 2 to 3 minutes per side if the grill is 3 to 4 inches above the coals. But it still depends upon how hot the coals are.

For side dishes, I recommend corn on the cob roasted over the campfire then slathered with real butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper, and pork & beans heated in the can over the campfire. Add your favorite beer as a drink but I suggest a quality pale ale like Sierra Nevada.

Now I wanna go fishing, too! Trout we have, no turtles of crayfish. I bet I can find my salmon and halibut fresher than youse guys, though! And, I found another excellent local brewery out of Talkeetna, the Denali Brewing Company.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Bears are very uncommon in my neck of the woods. Several weeks ago a black bear was sighted in Winnabago County and then in several other nearby locations. Well, today, this black bear is up in my neighbor's tree and has been there all day. This neighbor lives about a mile from my house. Local news has been going nuts covering this on their news broadcasts. If that bear makes his way to my house I plan on grinning him to death just like Davey Crockett did!

Would you like my recipe for Bear-B-Que? Or how about Sauerbearten? (Bear makes great sauerbraten, almost as good as horse.)

Forum List

Back