🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I do too, but wheat makes ya fat. Rice doesn't.

It does if you eat enough of it. :) Rice flour is higher in calories than wheat flour but the usual serving of wheat is generally about 30 or so calories less than a comparable serving of rice. Nutritionally, wheat is far superior for fiber and each edges out the other on certain vitamins and minerals. Basically I think those who can tolerate them can choose either with confidence and I like them both equally well. Some facts about rice vs wheat as a nutritional choice:
What Are the Benefits of Rice vs. Wheat?

The glycemic index of white rice is very high - and worse than wheat depending upon the preparation.

Short and medium grain white rice is horrible!

How Much Will That Food Raise my Blood Sugar?

Good information as I have close friends and family who are diabetic. I'll definitely file that info for consideration in meal preparation. But somehow a bed of wheat berries just doesn't go as well with the Asian cuisine we enjoy now and then. So I'm glad I can enjoy both.

Actually I didn't mean anything about calories or glycemic index --- wheat makes us fat largely because of how we've modified it over the years. I know this from experience too -- I've had the experience of cutting out wheat (and making no other changes, actually eating more volume) --- and seeing my weight drop 30-40 pounds, on cutting out wheat alone. Did it twice.

I like wheat but it's a bad influence. It's a major reason for the obesity epidemic.

Anything in excess is bad for one's health. I'm more inclined to blame refined carbs and sugars in general and the insane carb heavy - anti-fat food pyramid for the spike in obesity. It's not a coincidence that people started eating more carbs and sugar as they were brow beaten to avoid fat. Those empty calories don't satisfy hunger, hence binge eating in futile attempts to do so.
sugars are a real problem, especially refined ones. sugars cause lesions in arteries. the bodies natural defense against that is to create cholesterol to repair the damage. now you end up with high cholesterol. you take statins to reduce it, you end up with diabetes.

Props for the Farscape dialect usage. :)

I am so frelling gratified that you GROKked the reference!
Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Who else, without Google, knows Michael Valentine Smith?
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
How many of y'all know the provenance of the quote: “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”?
Looked it up. Did not know that.
No shame in not knowing. Many people attribute that quote to T. Jefferson or B. Franklin.

It is so FRELLING COLD in Oaklandtown today that my freshly made cappuccino is already luke warm.

Meh.

Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.
Heinlein has been a great influence in my life. James Michener was another pivotal author who helped shape my life. And dare I say, Ayn Rand has also had great influence in the formation of my personal philosophy.

Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p
The movies had little resemblance to the book. The movies were kinda fun to watch in a campy, kitschy way.

Oh and I found us a new math quiz to start off the New Year right:

12400643_463626947173299_1228306658377360490_n.jpg

You guys don't recognize fruit salad when you see it?

Heinlein has been a great influence in my life. James Michener was another pivotal author who helped shape my life. And dare I say, Ayn Rand has also had great influence in the formation of my personal philosophy.

I really can't attribute who and what I am to any specific author with the possible exception of Catherine Marshall who often struck a very responsive chord with me in both her fiction and non fiction works. I love Michener and have all his books but I guess the philosopher side of him didn't stand out for me so much--just his uncanny ability to tell a story like no other. I have enjoyed reading Heinlein. and I think it was the writers of the 1950's, 70's, and 80's that I have most enjoyed and best recall.

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long absence, as most of you know, I am dealing with many issues, and will be for months to come.

Hope all is well and that you all had a great Xmas!

Noomi!!!! So happy you stopped in. Just do that now and then okay so we know you're okay, issues and all. We've sort of all been on the journey with you in a very small way and we've become really attached. :)

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p

Yuck. That movie was disgusting. :cheeky-smiley-018:

NEED Ice Cream. Ice cream is 2 miles away. I will go buy ice cream.

Hombre and I were once in a motel in the north end of Las Cruces--we were traveling the entire state of New Mexico et al in those days--when we had a serious B.R. (Baskin Robbins) attack. The Baskin Robbins store was several miles away in the north end of town, but we gave into the craving and went to get some serious ice cream. The next morning we got up and were out starting out day when we spotted the new Baskin Robins in a small shopping center across the street from the motel. :)

Yuck. That movie was disgusting. :cheeky-smiley-018:

I couldn't get into it either Chris. And I say that as a huge science fiction fan, but just like my comedy has to be somewhat believable in order for me to like it, so does my science fiction.

Forum List

Back