🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

It is so FRELLING COLD in Oaklandtown today that my freshly made cappuccino is already luke warm.

Meh.

Props for the Farscape dialect usage. :)

I am so frelling gratified that you GROKked the reference!
Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Who else, without Google, knows Michael Valentine Smith?
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
How many of y'all know the provenance of the quote: “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”?
Looked it up. Did not know that.

1234356_10151688952872945_1928768442_n.jpg
I have THAT tee-shirt too.

It is so FRELLING COLD in Oaklandtown today that my freshly made cappuccino is already luke warm.

Meh.

Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

Meh.

Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p

It's also used as a base ingredient (or co-ingredient) in making gluten-free pasta, for those of us who know what wheat can do to us yet still love our pasta.

It's damn expensive though. Usually I get the rice-based pasta.

I avoid rice - especially white rice. And I don't have pasta or bread very often - so when I do, I want the real stuff.

I do too, but wheat makes ya fat. Rice doesn't.

It does if you eat enough of it. :) Rice flour is higher in calories than wheat flour but the usual serving of wheat is generally about 30 or so calories less than a comparable serving of rice. Nutritionally, wheat is far superior for fiber and each edges out the other on certain vitamins and minerals. Basically I think those who can tolerate them can choose either with confidence and I like them both equally well. Some facts about rice vs wheat as a nutritional choice:
What Are the Benefits of Rice vs. Wheat?

The glycemic index of white rice is very high - and worse than wheat depending upon the preparation.

Short and medium grain white rice is horrible!

How Much Will That Food Raise my Blood Sugar?

Good information as I have close friends and family who are diabetic. I'll definitely file that info for consideration in meal preparation. But somehow a bed of wheat berries just doesn't go as well with the Asian cuisine we enjoy now and then. So I'm glad I can enjoy both.

Actually I didn't mean anything about calories or glycemic index --- wheat makes us fat largely because of how we've modified it over the years. I know this from experience too -- I've had the experience of cutting out wheat (and making no other changes, actually eating more volume) --- and seeing my weight drop 30-40 pounds, on cutting out wheat alone. Did it twice.

I like wheat but it's a bad influence. It's a major reason for the obesity epidemic.

How many of y'all know the provenance of the quote: “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”?

I have often used "An armed society is a polite society" when discussing gun control with the grabbers. It's so twoo!

I'm starting to remember why I stopped coming here...

By the way --- George Martin, famous "fifth Beatle" who produced almost all their records --- is 90 years old today.

How old do ya feel now?

Meh.

And now you're channeling Valentine Michael Smith!

I had to look that name up. What do you know, that's a book I've read.....but it was long enough ago I didn't remember the name at all. :)
I am a HUGE Heinlein fan. I've read just about everything he's ever published.

I read the Puppet Masters when I was in my 20's.

I avoid rice - especially white rice. And I don't have pasta or bread very often - so when I do, I want the real stuff.

It does if you eat enough of it. :) Rice flour is higher in calories than wheat flour but the usual serving of wheat is generally about 30 or so calories less than a comparable serving of rice. Nutritionally, wheat is far superior for fiber and each edges out the other on certain vitamins and minerals. Basically I think those who can tolerate them can choose either with confidence and I like them both equally well. Some facts about rice vs wheat as a nutritional choice:

The glycemic index of white rice is very high - and worse than wheat depending upon the preparation.

Good information as I have close friends and family who are diabetic. I'll definitely file that info for consideration in meal preparation. But somehow a bed of wheat berries just doesn't go as well with the Asian cuisine we enjoy now and then. So I'm glad I can enjoy both.

Actually I didn't mean anything about calories or glycemic index --- wheat makes us fat largely because of how we've modified it over the years. I know this from experience too -- I've had the experience of cutting out wheat (and making no other changes, actually eating more volume) --- and seeing my weight drop 30-40 pounds, on cutting out wheat alone. Did it twice.

I like wheat but it's a bad influence. It's a major reason for the obesity epidemic.

Anything in excess is bad for one's health. I'm more inclined to blame refined carbs and sugars in general and the insane carb heavy - anti-fat food pyramid for the spike in obesity. It's not a coincidence that people started eating more carbs and sugar as they were brow beaten to avoid fat. Those empty calories don't satisfy hunger, hence binge eating in futile attempts to do so.

I find if I eat too many carbs I feel bloated, my weakness is potatoes, if I eat at least some fat with every meal I feel more full longer and eat less. As for processed sugars I rarely eat any, heck I make my own deserts and take out 1/3 to 1/2 of the sweetener the recipe calls for. Since I started doing that decades ago I can't eat store bought deserts without feeling like I'm going to go into a diabetic shock...... and I'm not diabetic.

I find if I eat too many carbs I feel bloated, my weakness is potatoes, if I eat at least some fat with every meal I feel more full longer and eat less. As for processed sugars I rarely eat any, heck I make my own deserts and take out 1/3 to 1/2 of the sweetener the recipe calls for. Since I started doing that decades ago I can't eat store bought deserts without feeling like I'm going to go into a diabetic shock...... and I'm not diabetic.

I don't think it is the carbs so much as the kind of carbs. Whole grains or other real food fill us up faster and leave us satisfied. Carbs from processed foods can taste really good but don't satisfy as much and we just keep eating plus our body is still wanting nutrients that triggers more snacking than we otherwise would do.

I started the Budwig Protocol(based on flaxseed oil, flaxseed, and cottage cheese) yesterday and after two days I swear I feel better and have more energy. I'm curious to see if it helps my body deal with some other issues but it will probably be a few weeks before I'll know. But the formula first thing in the morning for breakfast really fills you up and you aren't wanting snacks or any other food for several hours.

Anything in excess is bad for one's health. I'm more inclined to blame refined carbs and sugars in general and the insane carb heavy - anti-fat food pyramid for the spike in obesity. It's not a coincidence that people started eating more carbs and sugar as they were brow beaten to avoid fat. Those empty calories don't satisfy hunger, hence binge eating in futile attempts to do so.

That's true of course. Excess of anything, and of processed food products in general. Actually just the word "products" makes that phrase redundant.

But what I refer to here is the singular characteristic of wheat, specifically. As distinct from rice, quinoa, et al. I mean to indict wheat specifically, by name. In any quantity and in any form.

In other words, not because it's processed, not because it's not-organic, not because it's consumed in too-large quantities --- but simply and literally because it's wheat, as that grain now exists. We created a Frankenstein.

Last edited:
Been really busy lately, have the barrel and lock on the flintlock 99% inletted, have my patterns cut out for my mid 1800s vest and the materials on hand, put together a large table we had stored for a sewing work table, fixed a couple of things around the house that I've been procrastinating on and finally fixed my dresser today. The dresser set is one I inherited when my dad passed, it's a one of a kind hand made in Taiwan when we lived there (1971-72). The dressers are two piece, not long after we moved in here the wife tried to slide mine over a few inches and the footboard on one side collapsed. The bottom piece has been sitting in a corner since and I had the top piece on the floor using it. A couple of days ago I took another look at the bottom and realized all the pieces were there (thought I was going to have to manufacture one support) so today I grabbed some finish nails and screws and it's back together, more stable than it was before.
Have more boxes to continue going through and the pot roast I threw in the crock pot is filling the house with a decidedly delectable aroma..........

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long absence, as most of you know, I am dealing with many issues, and will be for months to come.

Hope all is well and that you all had a great Xmas!

Hi Noomi !
Great to hear from you.
Yes we know and we hope and are praying for you, that all gets worked out and that you will do very well after everything gets all resolved.
Once you get that all done we hope you come back more often because we miss you.
Me and Hubby had a great Christmas.
I hope you did as well. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back