🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I am so frelling gratified that you GROKked the reference!
Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Who else, without Google, knows Michael Valentine Smith?
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p

Yuck. That movie was disgusting. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Disgustingly stupid. :lol:

I can enjoy good campy humor (I'm a fan of the Evil Dead series as well as the old Flash Gordon movie) but I found Starship Troopers to just be dumb. The only good thing about it was making fun of it with a friend of mine when we saw it in the theater. :D

1936583_10153393222468403_30774703819122941_n.jpg

Grocked? THAT goes back far beyond Farscape Grock goes back to Heinland's 1961 Philosophy/Sci Fi "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Other than me? I'm sure there must be others. How are you with "Time Enough for Love?"
Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p

I can enjoy good campy humor (I'm a fan of the Evil Dead series as well as the old Flash Gordon movie) but I found Starship Troopers to just be dumb. The only good thing about it was making fun of it with a friend of mine when we saw it in the theater. :D

Yeah, it was pretty stupid too but mostly just gross. :lol:

5 degrees right now. oh well, the cold weather had to come at some point. but this was the first day I had to break out the winter coat

I was just about to complain about my weather! Lol! It's 14 degrees but with the wind chill, feels like 0.
brrr.gif

Elev 200 ft 41.94 °N, 71.34 °W | Updated 2 min ago
Mostly Cloudy
14.7 °F
Feels Like 0 °F

N
Wind from NNE

Oh, I forgot to tell that I'm picking up a new shift at the hospital and going down to part time at my job. Otherwise I will be working like 70 hours a week! No thanks. Lol. A permanent shift has opened up for me at the hospital, and that is good. Not sure yet when I will start, but it could be this weekend. It will be Saturday and Sunday nights from 4 PM to 12 AM. Not the most desirable hours, but I want to make a good impression there and be noticed. :)

I am so frelling gratified that you GROKked the reference!
Heinlein has been a great influence in my life. James Michener was another pivotal author who helped shape my life. And dare I say, Ayn Rand has also had great influence in the formation of my personal philosophy.

I really can't attribute who and what I am to any specific author with the possible exception of Catherine Marshall who often struck a very responsive chord with me in both her fiction and non fiction works. I love Michener and have all his books but I guess the philosopher side of him didn't stand out for me so much--just his uncanny ability to tell a story like no other. I have enjoyed reading Heinlein. and I think it was the writers of the 1950's, 70's, and 80's that I have most enjoyed and best recall.
Michener's descriptions are on par with Hemingway. Both authors put tremendous detail in their descriptions. Michener's "Hawaii" begins with a prologue featuring the birth of the islands, for example.

Oh, I forgot to tell that I'm picking up a new shift at the hospital and going down to part time at my job. Otherwise I will be working like 70 hours a week! No thanks. Lol. A permanent shift has opened up for me at the hospital, and that is good. Not sure yet when I will start, but it could be this weekend. It will be Saturday and Sunday nights from 4 PM to 12 AM. Not the most desirable hours, but I want to make a good impression there and be noticed. :)
Congratulations and Good Luck!

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Thanks! :) It's part time still but better than per diem!

But they still managed to make what, three or four sequels?

Starship Troopers? I don't think so. I never heard of any sequels to that movie, but I could be wrong.

Maybe you are thinking of Star Wars? :)

Starship Troopers? I don't think so. I never heard of any sequels to that movie, but I could be wrong.
I looked it up, there were four movies total, and surprise! surprise! a TV series, as well.

I looked it up, there were four movies total, and surprise! surprise! a TV series, as well.

Never heard of any sequels or a TV show. It was a pretty crappy movie. Did you ever see it?

Not much of a surprise, since I don't really care. :) It was a terrible and disgusting movie. That was my point.

I finally had to put chains on the truck. Our driveway is not level and makes a 180 degree turn between top and bottom. Being completely encased in ice, it's pretty tricky to navigate, but moving a couple of tons of hay back into the hay racks was just too challenging. Better safe than sorry.
I've been wearing ice cleats to work around the animals and barn but the goats don't have such luck. They constantly wipe out and do face plants while trying to navigate the trail from their pen to the milking barn. Well, except one clever girl who has discovered a rough patch running parallel to the usual path. She's the same goat who figured out how to cross a stream by walking along a log rather than trying to jump over.

Never heard of any sequels or a TV show. It was a pretty crappy movie. Did you ever see it?
Regret to confess, I've seen all the movies. Sometimes you have to go with the flow when others make up the entertainment schedule. I did not know about the TV series but since I watch very little regular TV programing, that's not a surprise. You're right, though, the movies were more about a significant gross-out factor than the books ever could have been.

I worked 4 to mids and midnight shifts most of my life. My favorite was always 4 to mid. :thup:

Forum List

Back