🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Don't recall reading it, but I really should get back into his stuff. I was never disappointed and in the case of "Stranger" was profoundly affected, even influenced to a point.

I still wonder how the movie Starship Troopers is related to his book. I guess as long as there is mention of alien 'bugs' in the book it counts as an adaptation? :p

Yuck. That movie was disgusting. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Disgustingly stupid. :lol:

I can enjoy good campy humor (I'm a fan of the Evil Dead series as well as the old Flash Gordon movie) but I found Starship Troopers to just be dumb. The only good thing about it was making fun of it with a friend of mine when we saw it in the theater. :D

Yeah, it was pretty stupid too but mostly just gross. :lol:
But they still managed to make what, three or four sequels?
They made two more........ The original is a cult classic B movie, the other two pretty much sucked.

Oh, I forgot to tell that I'm picking up a new shift at the hospital and going down to part time at my job. Otherwise I will be working like 70 hours a week! No thanks. Lol. A permanent shift has opened up for me at the hospital, and that is good. Not sure yet when I will start, but it could be this weekend. It will be Saturday and Sunday nights from 4 PM to 12 AM. Not the most desirable hours, but I want to make a good impression there and be noticed. :)
I worked 4 to mids and midnight shifts most of my life. My favorite was always 4 to mid. :thup:
I like my grave shift, midnight to ten. Especially if you have to drive in with rush hour traffic, working graves spares you the
competitive spirit.

I am sitting here...patiently awaiting the deluge of rain they keep claiming was to hit today and for the next week. So far....nada.

Disgustingly stupid. :lol:

I can enjoy good campy humor (I'm a fan of the Evil Dead series as well as the old Flash Gordon movie) but I found Starship Troopers to just be dumb. The only good thing about it was making fun of it with a friend of mine when we saw it in the theater. :D

Starship Troopers? I don't think so. I never heard of any sequels to that movie, but I could be wrong.
I looked it up, there were four movies total, and surprise! surprise! a TV series, as well.

Never heard of any sequels or a TV show. It was a pretty crappy movie. Did you ever see it?

He's right. Who would have thought? The first movie was so bad, I wouldn't think it would have grossed enough to merit a sequel. But there were four movies in all. I blessedly escaped the sequels.
Starship Troopers Collection

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to tell that I'm picking up a new shift at the hospital and going down to part time at my job. Otherwise I will be working like 70 hours a week! No thanks. Lol. A permanent shift has opened up for me at the hospital, and that is good. Not sure yet when I will start, but it could be this weekend. It will be Saturday and Sunday nights from 4 PM to 12 AM. Not the most desirable hours, but I want to make a good impression there and be noticed. :)
I worked 4 to mids and midnight shifts most of my life. My favorite was always 4 to mid. :thup:

I hated that shift - 3 to 11 - in the hospital. Evening was always when the patients felt the worse, people were crankier. 11 to 7 was much much calmer. 7 to 3 my favorite. Lots of activity but everybody was happiest.

I am sitting here...patiently awaiting the deluge of rain they keep claiming was to hit today and for the next week. So far....nada.

And you guys really need the rain, so hope it happens for you. We got a dusting of snow overnight with more predicted this week but not necessarily today. We need all of that we can get too to build up the reserves in the mountains.

Starship Troopers? I don't think so. I never heard of any sequels to that movie, but I could be wrong.
I looked it up, there were four movies total, and surprise! surprise! a TV series, as well.

Never heard of any sequels or a TV show. It was a pretty crappy movie. Did you ever see it?

He's right. Who would have thought? The first movie was so bad, I wouldn't think it would have grossed enough to merit a sequel. But there were four movies in all. I blessedly escaped the sequels.

You'd probably be surprised at the bad sequels floating around out there. If they can be made cheaply, someone will probably try to do it. :p

You'd probably be surprised at the bad sequels floating around out there. If they can be made cheaply, someone will probably try to do it. :p

Some sequels are okay or at least entertaining - Sister Act II and Crocodile Dundee II and the three sequels to Airport come to mind - but others have really sucked. It seems the sequel is never quite as magical as the original though. When you make a really great movie, it is hard to build or improve on that.

Some producers/directors seem to understand that and put a firm period at the end of a great movie. Out of Africa is a good example with the final statement in the movie that Karen Dinesen never returned to Africa.

And you guys really need the rain, so hope it happens for you. We got a dusting of snow overnight with more predicted this week but not necessarily today. We need all of that we can get too to build up the reserves in the mountains.
I could perhaps send Graciesome of the 20" of rain we got here in December.

Some sequels are okay or at least entertaining - Sister Act II and Crocodile Dundee II and the three sequels to Airport come to mind - but others have really sucked. It seems the sequel is never quite as magical as the original though. When you make a really great movie, it is hard to build or improve on that.

Some producers/directors seem to understand that and put a firm period at the end of a great movie. Out of Africa is a good example with the final statement in the movie that Karen Dinesen never returned to Africa.

Star Trek and Star Wars both improved with sequels. Aliens is very arguably better than Alien, and both are very good. The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins.

But yes, more often than not, the first movie is the best. I think the most common reason is probably that the first movie is original, fresh, where the sequel is an attempt to build on that and capture the same elements. There is a lot of luck, a lot of things going just the right way, to make a great movie. :dunno:

Light shower in the wee morning. Sun is out. Nice day. No rain I can see. And the news now says the el nino is weakening. *eye roll*

Anything with the word dumb in the title didn't need to be made in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. But "Dumb and Dumber" is one of those movies that Hombre cannot not watch--it fascinates him--while I will most generally leave the room if feasible when it is on.

Anything with the word dumb in the title didn't need to be made in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. But "Dumb and Dumber" is one of those movies that Hombre cannot not watch--it fascinates him--while I will most generally leave the room if feasible when it is on.
Best part of that show was the bathroom scene. Then again, fart and shit jokes always cracked me up. Not today though. I think I will watch some movies cuz it's drizzling now...lightly...and I was wanting HEAVY rain. And I'm too cranky to be online right now, so............

Later gators.

Well finally got a hold of my medical team, they're sending me some meds for the increased acid production and I get to go on the BART diet for a while....... Yum........ :doubt:

About 2 hours ago I had a nice salad, 30 minutes after eating it I started having repeat episodes of severe heartburn that would radiate up into my head causing a brief migraine. Not very pleasant, not very pleasant in the least.......

Forum List

Back