USMB Coffee Shop IV

what is Ubuntu and is there a benefit?
Ubuntu is a Linux operating system. The benefit? It's nor Windows or OS X (Apple), but that's also it's drawback in some areas. Number 1 it's free (you can make a donation if you want), It does pretty much everything Windows does and some things better. The drawback? If you're a P.C. gamer Linux is not for you.
I'm not a gamer. I just want something that doesn't freeze up all the time. lately my computer has been locking up a lot. pages keep not responding. idk, maybe its time for a new computer. even though this one is only like 2 years old
CCleaner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

thanks, i'll give it a try. I was just about to run out to best buy and get a new one. what I notice is atfer using it for a few hours it keeps getting slower and slower. if I restart it usually gets better. even sometimes when I am typing not every letter I type comes out. i'll get like two or three letters out of a 7 letter work.
Windows builds up everything in a storage cache but doesn't let it go, eventually the cache becomes full and slows everything down. Also old programs (even ones you may have uninstalled leave "stuff" behind, CCleaner will do a registry clean to get rid of it.
What version of Windows are you using?
I'm running the cc cleaner now. we'll see what it comes up with.

Also one cool item with Linux is you can download the operating system, burn it to a disc or onto a thumb drive, plug it into your computer and try it without installing it. It's definitely slower this way but at least you get to test drive it first. Not only that any help you may need is available at your finger tips online.

Also one cool item with Linux is you can download the operating system, burn it to a disc or onto a thumb drive, plug it into your computer and try it without installing it. It's definitely slower this way but at least you get to test drive it first. Not only that any help you may need is available at your finger tips online.
that is really cool. i'll have to give that a try.

On thing to remember with Linux, though, is that the help you get will often be coming from different sources and they sometimes use very different methods. You might use the software manager already installed in the OS, or you might go to a website to download something, or you might need to run command line stuff.

On thing to remember with Linux, though, is that the help you get will often be coming from different sources and they sometimes use very different methods. You might use the software manager already installed in the OS, or you might go to a website to download something, or you might need to run command line stuff.
I found the best way to run sudo commands is to copy and paste from websites listing the commands for Terminal. :thup:

I found the best way to run sudo commands is to copy and paste from websites listing the Terminal commands. :thup:

It can be frustrating figuring out the different ways software is installed in Linux compared to Windows. Most of us are used to downloading an exe file and just double clicking it to start installing something, but that doesn't happen with Linux. Trying to understand what to do when someone starts talking about packages and repositories, or how to install something you do download, can be very annoying. Many of the people providing solutions aren't trying to help people who aren't already familiar with different methods of doing things in Linux and so don't explain what they are talking about, just tell you to do it.

For a casual computer user who doesn't have someone to guide them, Linux might get very frustrating.

On the other hand, if that casual user isn't doing much with the computer, those kinds of problems might not come up very often. :D

One other thing about Linux is the amount of distributions and versions within distributions that are available. Both Mint and Ubuntu have multiple versions, one that I really like is Kubuntu, it's based on a different kernal (core), is faster and much more customizable than Ubuntu (Unity version, the main version).

I found the best way to run sudo commands is to copy and paste from websites listing the Terminal commands. :thup:

It can be frustrating figuring out the different ways software is installed in Linux compared to Windows. Most of us are used to downloading an exe file and just double clicking it to start installing something, but that doesn't happen with Linux. Trying to understand what to do when someone starts talking about packages and repositories, or how to install something you do download, can be very annoying. Many of the people providing solutions aren't trying to help people who aren't already familiar with different methods of doing things in Linux and so don't explain what they are talking about, just tell you to do it.

For a casual computer user who doesn't have someone to guide them, Linux might get very frustrating.

On the other hand, if that casual user isn't doing much with the computer, those kinds of problems might not come up very often. :D
Yup, I've often responded to help from serious techies advising that I wasn't fluid in Geekinese and asking if they could put it in plain English starting with step one, moving up to and past where they assume everyone should know........ Some get offended....... :lol:

I put Kubuntu on my test desktop and love it... then I tried to put it on this laptop...... It would freeze up every time I clicked on "install". Haven't found an answer yet. :dunno:

Yup, I've often responded to help from serious techies advising that I wasn't fluid in Geekinese and asking if they could put it in plain English starting with step one, moving up to and past where they assume everyone should know........ Some get offended....... :lol:

That would be the best blessing for so many of us if those trying to explain this stuff would put it in plain English. But some are just too proud or too arrogant to lower themselves to help the non- geeks of the world. It is a shame.

That would be the best blessing for so many of us if those trying to explain this stuff would put it in plain English. But some are just too proud or too arrogant to lower themselves to help the non- geeks of the world. It is a shame.
Yes those idiots exist but most simply forget that most everyone don't know even the basics because it's just normal for them. That's true in almost every occupation.

12063580_974931412550682_4571074969326708897_n.jpg

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system. The benefit? It's nor Windows or OS X (Apple), but that's also it's drawback in some areas. Number 1 it's free (you can make a donation if you want), It does pretty much everything Windows does and some things better. The drawback? If you're a P.C. gamer Linux is not for you.
I'm not a gamer. I just want something that doesn't freeze up all the time. lately my computer has been locking up a lot. pages keep not responding. idk, maybe its time for a new computer. even though this one is only like 2 years old
CCleaner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

thanks, i'll give it a try. I was just about to run out to best buy and get a new one. what I notice is atfer using it for a few hours it keeps getting slower and slower. if I restart it usually gets better. even sometimes when I am typing not every letter I type comes out. i'll get like two or three letters out of a 7 letter work.
Windows builds up everything in a storage cache but doesn't let it go, eventually the cache becomes full and slows everything down. Also old programs (even ones you may have uninstalled leave "stuff" behind, CCleaner will do a registry clean to get rid of it.
What version of Windows are you using?
I'm running the cc cleaner now. we'll see what it comes up with.

Thank you, I just downloaded it.

Finally did it, backed up everything I wanted to keep on this computer and replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu. :thup:

Do you still have a PC with Windows for gaming, or maybe dual boot on that one?
I have 5 computers, this one (my primary laptop) I just switched over to Ubuntu. I have a desktop gaming computer (my recently rebuilt one), another desktop running Ubuntu, the wife's laptop with Win 10 and the 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 with Win 10.

That's a lot of computers! :ack-1: I have two. My work PC and my laptop for play.
I had 7, sold one, donated one. I also have 2 incomplete older computers (I'll donate) and the wife's old laptop that needs a new screen. That doesn't include the 2 boxes of computer parts and cables that I still have left, one medium size box already got donated.

I have three computers and three TV's in one small room. I have an old computer I recently resurrected to run windows 98 because I have a boatload of software that was designed for 98 and will not run on later windows.
I have a backup computer that runs windows xp and is still usable on the internet. And I have my new computer that runs windows 7. I do not want to upgrade to win 10 and will use 7 for as long as possible.

Forum List

Back