USMB Coffee Shop IV

Agreed. Some people love horror movies, I have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with em especially if they're well done (actually scary), I'll have nightmares. Some I find interesting and they don't bother me, others.........

I fast forward through the evil horror movie commercials, otherwise I sleep with one eye open ...but love a good action science fiction.
I love all kinds of different movies not to mention different books however, eons ago I read a Lovecraft short story....... Never read another, kept me awake for days.
Now take many of the older horror movies, I tend to find them more comical than scary.

Look at how scared everyone was with the movie Jaws..in the 1970's it is funny now except the music is what gets you. lol

Or like for you, the books get to our psyche...

I can't even watch the evil movies on TMC... ( Turner Classic Movies ) :lol:

Ah, another sensitive soul! I can't watch the movies that involve torture of humans or beast or graphically show violence in which people try to harm people or animals. That kind of thing hurts my soul. The anti-hero isn't my thing either. I want movies that inspire, encourage, and/or have you standing and cheering at the end.

But I confess that Jaws was a brilliantly written book - a real page turner - and I did love and still do love the movie except for the opening scene that I zip through. Ditto Dante's Peak--I hate the opening scene and zip through it. I also am a science and natural disaster movie aficionado--I love the challenge of people dealing with natural problems to solve and/or the power of nature, most especially when they spare us the worst of the blood and gore.

What are your favorite movies this last year?

I hate 99% of the latest movies about the same as I hate 99% of music being published these days--don't read that Montrovant :)--I am always amazed that the new movies featured on Xfinity on Demand are movies that I simply don't enjoy and won't watch--unsympathetic characters, weak story lines, over emphasis on special effects, way too much gratuitous sex, violence, and foul language, and poor character development as well as an irritating sameness to the plot concepts.

This last year I did watch and enjoyed "San Andreas". A really fun movie--so hokey it was almost ridiculous, but it did have sympathetic characters and was entertaining.

Oh by the way, when you win the powerball this week, this will be your friends, relatives, associates, and acquaintances coming to see you:

6589_10156437656505084_8043236120925010383_n.jpg

LOL, I guess you just have to be a guy. :)

. . .or Chris. :)

I know plenty of women who like Monty Python. :eusa_think: Why do you think only men would enjoy it?

Just teasing because I don't like that kind of film at all. :) (Not to impugn or question the taste of those of you who do of course.)
Agreed. Some people love horror movies, I have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with em especially if they're well done (actually scary), I'll have nightmares. Some I find interesting and they don't bother me, others.........

I fast forward through the evil horror movie commercials, otherwise I sleep with one eye open ...but love a good action science fiction.
I love all kinds of different movies not to mention different books however, eons ago I read a Lovecraft short story....... Never read another, kept me awake for days.
Now take many of the older horror movies, I tend to find them more comical than scary.

M.R. James horror stories are pretty creepy too.

There are times I feel like the Black Knight in Monty Python's the Holy Grail.........

I bet you actually watched that movie. Guys love it. I just won't. :)

That movie is a classic. We quote stuff from it all the time. Castle Anthrax was great: "But first, the oral sex...then the spankings!" "First me!" "Then me!"...
Or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: " And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
Lots of great stuff in that movie!

[grins sheepishly] Just sayin'...

I know plenty of women who like Monty Python. :eusa_think: Why do you think only men would enjoy it?

Just teasing because I don't like that kind of film at all. :) (Not to impugn or question the taste of those of you who do of course.)

I'd never seen Monty Python until recently (within the last few years), and while I thought some parts were just silly, some other parts are pretty funny! I kind of like "stupid" humor anyway. :lol:

That movie is a classic. We quote stuff from it all the time. Castle Anthrax was great: "But first, the oral sex...then the spankings!" "First me!" "Then me!"...
Or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: " And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

I don't like slasher flicks much at all. I'll cover my eyes and ears. :D

Roll Tide!

11605934.jpeg

Congratulations Ernie. The Tide made you proud. We watched the game from beginning to end and it was truly a championship game with Clemson providing real competition. And I was most impressed with the Alabama coach and players who acknowledged that and gave Clemson proper kudos. I bet Doc Holliday's was a spectacle to behold last night. :)
It was a spectacle for sure! We did roughly 3 times what we normally do on Monday, They ran my bartender ragged, but she made it through the night despite a very painful stiff neck. She's back at it again today, working roughly 1 PM to 4AM. She's a trooper.
Yes. Both teams showed a lot of class. It's a shame the supposed grown-ups in the NFL aren't as mature.

My definition of serious is pretty narrow.

1. Cut knee with chainsaw early 1990s. Bought supplies and fixed it at home by myself. Result: fully functional knee with a small scar.
2. Limited mobility in shoulder due to rotator cuff injury. Went back into place when I threw a 35lbs. bush over my shoulder two years later. Result: full mobility.
3. Dislocated left ring finger from a log kicking back. Popped it back in place. Periodically requires me to readjust it. Result very slight mobility issue.

You've been lucky. Nothing more. ;)
There are times I feel like the Black Knight in Monty Python's the Holy Grail.........

There is plenty of British humor I don't find funny at all, including from Python, but when they were on, they were absolutely hilarious. Between good Python and Douglas Adams, I know the Brits can be extremely funny.

Now, Benny Hill......I don't get that silly crap at all. :lol:

Benny hill was the MASTER. It helps to know the basic characters.
Watch a half dozen shows and you'll get it, I promise.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan1,Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

winnipeg-snow-ice.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

You've been lucky. Nothing more. ;)

Lots of men dressing up like women?

Horror movies don't affect me much at all. I also read Lovecraft long ago, no repercussions. I do sleep with the videos running, though, and I find the soundtrack triggers dreams. Most of my disturbing dreams are repetitive and feature very specific venues, or I find I am flying with 2x4s for wings.

I watch Frasier every night for an hour or two, then hit the sack. I can't imagine watching horror flicks or murder mysteries just before bed. I watch Snapped sometimes, and 48 hours and such, but only when nothing else is on. Frasier always cracks me up, so I figure its a good thing to see just before sleep.

I watch Frasier every night for an hour or two, then hit the sack. I can't imagine watching horror flicks or murder mysteries just before bed. I watch Snapped sometimes, and 48 hours and such, but only when nothing else is on. Frasier always cracks me up, so I figure its a good thing to see just before sleep.

I got into a Frasier binge watch a few years back...Hysterical~

I like Frasier too. And I agree that treating the brain to something enjoyable and non disturbing just before sleep improves our sleep experience.

I suppose it is my appreciation of good disaster movies that contributes to it, but I have noted for some years that when I dream of tornadoes that more often than not, it signals that it is raining or snowing or such is coming shortly. I think my body must sense an increase in humidity or is affected by barometric variations or something. They aren't scary or disturbing dreams at all--more interesting than anything else--but I have been intrigued by it.

I am sure everyone does this , I DVR shows and binge watch them..lol in the back round of being on the internet.

I do too Eaglewings. I have several favorite movies on DVR, some that I also have on DVD, so that I can watch them at will and I will watch a favorite movie or Star Trek episode or whatever over and over until I'm finally tired of it. Then I'll take a few weeks or months break on that movie or whatever and then do it all over again. These are movies I usually watch until I go to sleep. I wake up and they're over, and I reset them and go again. Takes a few nights to see a whole movie that way sometimes. :)

Forum List

Back