USMB Coffee Shop IV

We just had a whomping big quake about an hour ago. They're calling it 7.1 for now. We lost radio coms and the lights went out at the airport terminal buildings. 747's and all the ground equipment bouncing like toys. We could see the tarmac rippling!

Was just reading about that a few minutes ago. I figured it was out there among the more obscure islands of the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula where quakes are frequent, but apparently this one was much closer in where it could do some damage. Be safe.

ChrisL , will the wild weather in DC up to Jersey get as far north as you are?

The only thing I've seen for your area is this. :)

"]Massive Blizzard to Hit Massachusetts on Saturday January 23, 2016 - YouTube

Nope, we only got about 3 or 4 inches, THANKFULLY! :D I was dreading getting feet of snow, so I'm very happy that we only got a little. I'm not the best driver in the snow! :lol: I get kind of scared.

My son made it down the mountain to get to work and his mother made it up to dog sit, but there has been 14" of the evil white stuff since then. I'm thinking both of them will wait a bit before tackling the road up West Rock.

WestRock_0001.JPG

Obviously, the road doesn't go up this side, but climbs from the right. It'd a great area, convenient to New Haven and Hamden, but a bear in the winter.

Nope, we only got about 3 or 4 inches, THANKFULLY! :D I was dreading getting feet of snow, so I'm very happy that we only got a little. I'm not the best driver in the snow! :lol: I get kind of scared.

My son made it down the mountain to get to work and his mother made it up to dog sit, but there has been 14" of the evil white stuff since then. I'm thinking both of them will wait a bit before tackling the road up West Rock.

WestRock_0001.JPG

Obviously, the road doesn't go up this side, but climbs from the right. It'd a great area, convenient to New Haven and Hamden, but a bear in the winter.

That could be a scene in New Mexico. I always think of your part of the world as pretty flat without a lot of unusual features like that.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

3234264732_262192e997.jpg

I'm getting tired. I went to give this a thank you, and I gave it a funny instead. Lol. :D

Well the photo of the Capitol dome I think was intended to be funny. :)

WestRock_0001.JPG

That could be a scene in New Mexico. I always think of your part of the world as pretty flat without a lot of unusual features like that.

Granted the top of West Rock is about 600 feet above sea level, but most of CT is hilly. It's highest point is 2,379 feet in Salisbury.
This part of Alabama is quite flat. My house is about 6 miles from the Gulf and sits at 24 feet above sea level. The highest point in the county is 330 feet.

We just had a whomping big quake about an hour ago. They're calling it 7.1 for now. We lost radio coms and the lights went out at the airport terminal buildings. 747's and all the ground equipment bouncing like toys. We could see the tarmac rippling!
I just read about that. I hate the rolling ones. Shakers are bad but the rollers? Oy. Nothing screws up your sense of security when the solid ground beneath you is not so solid feeling!
Careful out there GW...might have either been a prelude or better yet...a stress release of ol mama earth and no more will commence to happen. Lets hope for the latter!

I just heard about that on the news! Hope you all are okay up there!
Some broken stuff around here and a spell of darkness when the electric grid went down in places. I was surprised when we lost radio coms, though. Down on the Kenai Peninsula, roads have been fissured, they evacuated a subdivision, and someone's place burned down due to a cracked gas line. Lots of scared folks, though. I cannot imagine how it must have been for some unsuspecting travelers sitting in the terminal, reading their Vogue and Penthouse, waiting to board their flights, when it started shaking and everything except the emergency lights went dark.

I just read about that. I hate the rolling ones. Shakers are bad but the rollers? Oy. Nothing screws up your sense of security when the solid ground beneath you is not so solid feeling!
Careful out there GW...might have either been a prelude or better yet...a stress release of ol mama earth and no more will commence to happen. Lets hope for the latter!
This one was a shaker. We were watching the wet tarmac as the water vibrated and shimmied. You might be right about more to come, though. The epicenter was located under and island adjacent to one of our larger active volcanoes, Augustine. We'll be watching that be-atch, I assure you.

I will wind up in the ocean when the big one comes. Just roll right on it, we will. I hope I am long gone by then.

Was just reading about that a few minutes ago. I figured it was out there among the more obscure islands of the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula where quakes are frequent, but apparently this one was much closer in where it could do some damage. Be safe.
There's more damage than being reported by the national media. At least there are no fatalities, so far. Most of Anchorage was awake and "chatting" by around 1:35 am, I assure you. Everyone has their tales to tell. One of the guys I worked with called his wife to find out how things were at home. She was sobbing hysterically and told him she wanted to go home to Panama. Went to breakfast with the partner this morning and everybody seemed to be talking about "where were you when the big one hit"? My partner, meh...he slept through it all.

I'm still enjoying the snow. Yeah, the snow we don't have, but somebody else does! OK, I kinda feel sorry for those Easterners. They really have little concept about how to deal with snow and cold. But don't assume folks up here (at least around Anchoragua) know how to drive when the roads get slick.

I'm still enjoying the snow. Yeah, the snow we don't have, but somebody else does! OK, I kinda feel sorry for those Easterners. They really have little concept about how to deal with snow and cold. But don't assume folks up here (at least around Anchoragua) know how to drive when the roads get slick.
That's pretty much true wherever one goes. Heck we all like to think of ourselves as great drivers and yet we all occasionally (to fairly often) make stupid mistakes or develop bad driving habits somewhere along the way. It would happen a lot less if all drivers had to learn real defensive driving tactics before they were able to get a license.

Okay back from the orthopedic who agreed I was making progress with my frozen shoulder but sternly lectured me to step up the therapy program at home as I wasn't doing enough. As I had absolutely no defense for that, I meekly agreed. The injection wasn't nearly as tough as the previous one though and I feel pretty darn good now. So life is good today.

Forum List

Back