USMB Coffee Shop IV

About to go play with my new toy. So excited.
4040-1458669168-0f0813e69ed01b2a37421404316cb6b7.jpg
Looks like you need a new fence...... :eusa_whistle:

Not that simple, yes the mobo will work with any hard drive but that's not where the problem is, it's with compatible RAM and CPUs. In order to simply replace the mobo you need to replace the fried mobo with one that is similar in configuration.

Option A - Ex wife has an older laptop that needs a new hard drive. I can pay her $65 for the drive and she will install it in the laptop and copy my drive info onto the new one. Total cost $65

downside - older computer

Option B - Buy a new Dell with 4GB memory and 500GB hard drive for $249. Ex will still move data over for free.

downside - more money

Option C - get new motherboard for $65- 260 for my computer and hope everything else is okay.

downside - a lot of unknowns

I vote new! Many times after a MB if fried you run into all sorts of problems with other things. I had lightning kill one of mine a few years ago (so now I use huge battery back up's and surge protectors), and Save, my homeowners paid to replace it. Have you called them?

And to add insult to pain....I lost about 5 lbs in the past week. But...no smoking means...back it comes. But Immagonnatrytonotletit.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Been busy today, got up around 10:30, finally got yesterday's dishes washed, the pot roast is in the slow cooker, started washing the bedding and have some vacuuming and sweeping to do. A house husband's work is never done........
As I mentioned before had dropped off my old top hat at Bronco Sue's in Tularosa, was going to call them to hold off on it (he said it would take 3 weeks before he could get to it) but he called this morning to tell me it was done. Okay, that's $70 out.

An auger! Be careful so it does not twist your arms along with the top soil!

I could see myself dancing a strange little jig as a power auger spun me around like a dervish!

Great for setting fence posts! Also great for setting middle aged men on their rumps/
We were smart, we'd use the auger attachment with the bobcat, if it hit a big rock or thick root no one would go flying. :thup:

I vote new! Many times after a MB if fried you run into all sorts of problems with other things. I had lightning kill one of mine a few years ago (so now I use huge battery back up's and surge protectors), and Save, my homeowners paid to replace it. Have you called them?

Hi Kat!

I am wondering if the damage is limited to the Motherboard too. I think the deductible is $500 and whatever happens should be under $300. If I had lost other appliances like I did a long time ago, then yes. The tree out back has been hit three times and the one out front twice.

Hi Kat!

I am wondering if the damage is limited to the Motherboard too. I think the deductible is $500 and whatever happens should be under $300. If I had lost other appliances like I did a long time ago, then yes. The tree out back has been hit three times and the one out front twice.

Hi back!
Well see...if you do end up getting a new one, you can still get a better one since you have to pay the $500 deductible. Ugh, insurances are impossible!

Good luck with it all.

An auger! Be careful so it does not twist your arms along with the top soil!

I could see myself dancing a strange little jig as a power auger spun me around like a dervish!

Great for setting fence posts! Also great for setting middle aged men on their rumps/
We were smart, we'd use the auger attachment with the bobcat, if it hit a big rock or thick root no one would go flying. :thup:
When I was younger and stronger I had a project in sunny Puerto Rico at NAS Roosevelt Roads. I had to determine ground water levels and a power auger was just the ticket.

The clay based soils of the base made drilling interesting. One stab at it took the auger right down to the chuck. Another took all the upper body strength I could muster to keep the spinning auger on track.

Altogether, I developed a love/hate relationship with that tool

I always put the young'uns on one end of the piano and me on the other. Lift with the legs, not the back.

Last Wednesday saw a lightning strike take out my computer. Thought is was a power supply, but it is now reported that the motherboard was fried. The same day the starter went out on the Yukon. Both are business expenses before the landscape season starts...

Hopefully the hard drive is okay and we can transfer data.

It wasn't lightning but I did have a motherboard go out on one computer. They got the info off the hard drive with no problem though. And it's nice to have the business deductions, but not having the expense at all is better.

If you have a motherboard problem you can generally just plug the hard drive into whatever new motherboard you get.

I've had lightning fry parts of my computer on a couple of occasions.

Have to check on motherboard costs, but it sounds like a new computer is just about as cheap.
The main issue with buying a new, off the self computer is you get the configuration they give you and the operating system with all the bloatware that comes with it.
If you want Windows you can buy (authentic) Win 7 Professional for $60 shipped, Ultimate for $70, Linux for free or a small donation.

But. . .depending on what you do with the computer. . .we dumped all the WIn 7 on our computers because we couldn't run some of our favorite games on it. The older Microsoft Word program we have doesn't like Win 7 very well either. No problem with Win 8, 8.1, or 10.

Damn! I can't sleep. I even took one of my Tylenol PMs. :( I had a weird dream and was partly awake when I had it too! Grrr. Oh well, guess I'll be tired and sleep better tomorrow. This always seems to happen on Tuesday because Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I screw up my schedule. I'll just stay awake until 5 AM and then sleep after work. :mad:

For the most part my computer is for business accounting, USMB, figuring out how to fix things and order parts. No games or movies.

Damn! I can't sleep. I even took one of my Tylenol PMs. :( I had a weird dream and was partly awake when I had it too! Grrr. Oh well, guess I'll be tired and sleep better tomorrow. This always seems to happen on Tuesday because Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I screw up my schedule. I'll just stay awake until 5 AM and then sleep after work. :mad:

Ironically, one of the possible side effects of a Tylenol PM is staying awake. Weird huh? Hope your schedule gets moved to better hours as you gain experience.

I always put the young'uns on one end of the piano and me on the other. Lift with the legs, not the back.

Last Wednesday saw a lightning strike take out my computer. Thought is was a power supply, but it is now reported that the motherboard was fried. The same day the starter went out on the Yukon. Both are business expenses before the landscape season starts...

Hopefully the hard drive is okay and we can transfer data.

It wasn't lightning but I did have a motherboard go out on one computer. They got the info off the hard drive with no problem though. And it's nice to have the business deductions, but not having the expense at all is better.

If you have a motherboard problem you can generally just plug the hard drive into whatever new motherboard you get.

I've had lightning fry parts of my computer on a couple of occasions.

Have to check on motherboard costs, but it sounds like a new computer is just about as cheap.
The main issue with buying a new, off the self computer is you get the configuration they give you and the operating system with all the bloatware that comes with it.
If you want Windows you can buy (authentic) Win 7 Professional for $60 shipped, Ultimate for $70, Linux for free or a small donation.

But. . .depending on what you do with the computer. . .we dumped all the WIn 7 on our computers because we couldn't run some of our favorite games on it. The older Microsoft Word program we have doesn't like Win 7 very well either. No problem with Win 8, 8.1, or 10.
Whichever one works best for each person. I have some old games that won't work on 7 or 10 even in XP mode. I have an old, first generation duo core computer sitting in the closet I may refurbish just to run XP on.

Yeah...I hear ya both. My guts hurt. Sore. Probably due to the mess of whatever is going on in there that landed me in the ER to begin with. However, no stomach ache. Just lower guts. So what do I do? I go outside this afternoon and move a heavy bench to another part of the yard. And rake. And sweep. Duh on me.

But I gotta do something to keep from wanting a cig. Total quit cold turkey not even a puff day is this coming Friday. Right now, I am weaning myself hard core but the really bad day will be Friday. I wonder what I will be moving around in the yard that day? Oy.
I admit I have no frame of reference for quitting smoking. I've never fallen into that trap and consider myself fortunate for parents who made the choice not to smoke easy for me. I did help my Mom quit a few times, but because my Dad would never give it
up, Mom always went back to smoking. I still wish you best of luck with your cessation, certainly.
Otherwise, be careful about over exertion before you feel better, or maybe know what's ailing you, Gracie.

Ironically, one of the possible side effects of a Tylenol PM is staying awake. Weird huh? Hope your schedule gets moved to better hours as you gain experience.
I'm one of those whom narcotics tend to keep awake as opposed to knocking me out though heavy doses will definitely put me out.

Happy Tuesday (my Monday - LOL). Have to do some laundry, do some cleaning, go to the store and get in a nap today before work! I'm working from 9 PM to 5 AM tonight.

1afc6f61893b902c6365a82d3347594b.jpg

I thought you didn't like the night shift? 9 to 5 am is a strange shift to me. When I worked the night shift it was always 11 to 7. But maybe 9 to 5 would be easier. I don't know.

I didn't like it, but I'm doing it anyway because that's when they need me the most. They were offering perks for those of us who were willing to do the overnight shift, so . . . . :D Hours are very flexible. I can choose whatever hours I want with my transcription job.

It's actually not bad. Before I was doing 12 AM to 8 AM, and hated that shift. 9 PM to 5 AM is better because I have time to get some sleep in the morning and still time to take of what has to be done during the day and even take a small nap in the afternoon.

I don't really care for my 4 PM to midnight shift over the weekend much though. That is kind of screwing with my sleep schedule.
I adore my graveyard shift, lots of reasons for that. Days are OK, and I despise mids. Mostly, I like not having to deal with traffic, and the bosses work mostly days. Seems like lots of the grave shift workers are pretty decent folk, too. For me, it works well because I have no one living with me and can sleep when I need to. I also have daylight to tend my critters.

Woke up, fell out of bed, Dragged a comb across my head. Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late. Found my coat and grabbed my hat.Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke, Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

To make room around the stage for 2 bands Saturday night, we moved the piano to the other end of the club. Today, we moved it back. The casters are messed up, so it needed to be slid along on cardboard. We got it moved and I lifted one end to get the cardboard out I had lifted my end probably a dozen times, but this time, I got careless and popped a disk. It's the same one between L1 and L2 that has popped out a dozen or more times since 1972. It is the first time in nearly 10 years. It's really quite painful, but not as bad as it has been in the past. Gotta see what I can do about a chiropractor in the morning. I'm on light duty for a while, I guess.

I would scold you but your pain is probably sufficient for that. I hope the chiropractor is able to get to some quick relief.
Strange... Wanted to cut out the middle man and go right to the chiropractor, but he will likely need xrays and some therapy before adjusting the spine. My insurance will pay for manipulation of the spine, but not therapy or xrays Of course, my primary care Dr can do the xrays and therapy and that gets paid for. I have a 3:15 appointment this afternoon to get this started.
Good luck, Ernie!

Forum List

Back