USMB Coffee Shop IV

CdzGw4CUMAAz_0_.jpg

Does your ham have that greenish sheen to it also? The final touch is a dried out quality.
The thin slices of ham look like an oil slick! All the colors of the rainbow.

We do have great ham here, but the Presbyterians won't kick in the extra cash to get it. Our congregation is made up of a lot of second and third generation Americans whose folks, like mine, immigrated from Scotland. Now, while the Scots invented everything on earth from the steam engine to golf, we cannot claim any cuisine. Have you ever seen a Scottish restaurant? Thai, French, Italian, Chinese, even an Irish pub, but never a Scottish restaurant. There's a damn fine reason why: Scottish cooking sucks!

I'm so grateful our neighbors brought their cuisine with them.

Not claiming plaid I see. :lol:
We invented plaid to baffle and confuse chameleons!

I thought is was an underwear avoidance device.
I'm wearing plaid underwear right now!

The kilt. Kilts are an underwear avoidance device. Draughty, but comfortable.

You know some things get said in the Coffee Shop that just somehow stick. And I now wonder if I will ever think about Nosmo again without also thinking about plaid underwear. :) (Not to worry though. I also think about dedication to community pageants, a definite sense of personal responsibility, and above all a marvelous gift for story telling and painting word pictures.)

Does your ham have that greenish sheen to it also? The final touch is a dried out quality.

We do have great ham here, but the Presbyterians won't kick in the extra cash to get it. Our congregation is made up of a lot of second and third generation Americans whose folks, like mine, immigrated from Scotland. Now, while the Scots invented everything on earth from the steam engine to golf, we cannot claim any cuisine. Have you ever seen a Scottish restaurant? Thai, French, Italian, Chinese, even an Irish pub, but never a Scottish restaurant. There's a damn fine reason why: Scottish cooking sucks!

There's a huge Scottish restaurant chain all over the world!!!!!!!

McDonalds......... :eusa_whistle:

Any haggis in a quarter pounder? How about barley soup? Greasy mutton?

Koreans eating dog have it better than folks in Glasgow!

Any haggis in a quarter pounder? How about barley soup? Greasy mutton?

Koreans eating dog have it better than folks in Glasgow!
It was a joke I picked up from the move Time After Time. :D

Now there's mental picture I didn't need......... :eusa_hand:
Here I am wearing plaid undies. Why do they keep those photographic studios so damn cold?

HWJ204-B-Sa.jpg

Here I am wearing plaid undies. Why do they keep those photographic studios so damn cold?

HWJ204-B-Sa.jpg
Still not getting excited......... :dunno:

HWJ204-B-Sa.jpg
I can't blame ya for that!

HWJ204-B-Sa.jpg
I can't blame ya for that!
And here I thought you were hitting on me......... :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

You know some things get said in the Coffee Shop that just somehow stick. And I now wonder if I will ever think about Nosmo again without also thinking about plaid underwear. :) (Not to worry though. I also think about dedication to community pageants, a definite sense of personal responsibility, and above all a marvelous gift for story telling and painting word pictures.)

I fear I have to take partial responsibility for this painted word picture.

:(

I fear I have to take partial responsibility for this painted word picture.

:(
Don't be so hard on yourself. Consider how I left out the part about how well plaid underwear conceals stains!

Maybe I've overdosed on iced coffees. :lol:
Never had one. I just imagine they taste like my coffee when it cools off in my cup, and I don't really care for that.

But besides that, I have no where near me to buy them. No fast food joints in this little hick town.

You pour that cooled off coffee over ice in a glass, maybe add a little sweetener, and voila! Iced coffee. Chris is right though--most people like their iced coffee a little stronger than their hot coffee probably because the melting ice thins the mix a bit.
I never cared for iced coffee and not all that big on hot tea.

Same here. Hot coffee, and unsweet iced tea for me.
I like my teas half sweet half unsweet.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Tomorrow is Good Friday and the last chance this Lenten season to get a great fish sandwich. Not from a restaurant, but from a church basement. The babushka clad church women throw their hearts and souls into their cooking and during Lent, they focus all that passion into fund raising efforts for their parishes and churches.

Pirogues, panchke (little Polish donuts warm from the fryer, stuffed with jam and smothered in powdered sugar), and fish sandwiches about the size of Shaquille O'Neill's shoe.

All the Catholic churches serve tasty, cholesterol boosting foods on Fridays during Lent. The Episcopalians do it too as well as the soulful Baptists. My Presbyterian church, Spartan, cold and funless does not offer any food. If we did, my bet it would be a slice of boiled ham sliced so thin it looks and feels like a deflated balloon stretch across a sandwich bun with a hint of mustard for effect only. Such is the cuisine of the Presbyterians.

But the ethnic groups from eastern and southern Europe as the Baptist church ladies with their southern style cooking bona fides in tact serve up some real delights.

It's something to behold once Ash Wednesday comes and the church kitchens throw open their doors. Some folks look forward to an Easter basket brimming with marshmallow peeps, jelly beans and chocolate bunnies. Some folks embrace the spiritual side of the holiday. Count me in with those two groups. But Easter fish sandwiches and pirogie dinners is what makes early Spring so special for me.
I love me some pirogies. Making them from scratch is a PITA, but well worth the effort. I learned to make them years ago.
I remember way back, at least 35 years ago, my in-laws were having a family get together as all surviving siblings in both families were going to be in town at the same time. (both were the youngest of 10 children)
I ased my mother-in-law if she was making pirogies and she said she didn't have enough time. She said if I wanted them, I'd have to make them myself.
Well, I went to work and prepared about 2 bushels of pure heaven.
So the party is well under way when Uncle John, my mother-in-law's oldest brother told his little sister, "The pirogie are great, Mary."
I heard Mary reply, sounding a bit disappointed, "Ernie made them."
I escaped to the other room, not wanting Mary to know that I'd overheard. John followed me in and this giant of a man, close to 7 feet tall and well over 400 pounds cornered me and said, "The pirogie are great, Ernie. I'm going to make you an honorary Polock." I was honored and somewhat taken aback, but John had a big smile on his face, so I said what was on my mind, "Dubious honor, John." he looked at me, trying his best to look stern, but he couldn't hold it in. The house about shook apart from his laughter and Big John and I were friends for life.

Tomorrow is Good Friday and the last chance this Lenten season to get a great fish sandwich. Not from a restaurant, but from a church basement. The babushka clad church women throw their hearts and souls into their cooking and during Lent, they focus all that passion into fund raising efforts for their parishes and churches.

Pirogues, panchke (little Polish donuts warm from the fryer, stuffed with jam and smothered in powdered sugar), and fish sandwiches about the size of Shaquille O'Neill's shoe.

All the Catholic churches serve tasty, cholesterol boosting foods on Fridays during Lent. The Episcopalians do it too as well as the soulful Baptists. My Presbyterian church, Spartan, cold and funless does not offer any food. If we did, my bet it would be a slice of boiled ham sliced so thin it looks and feels like a deflated balloon stretch across a sandwich bun with a hint of mustard for effect only. Such is the cuisine of the Presbyterians.

But the ethnic groups from eastern and southern Europe as the Baptist church ladies with their southern style cooking bona fides in tact serve up some real delights.

It's something to behold once Ash Wednesday comes and the church kitchens throw open their doors. Some folks look forward to an Easter basket brimming with marshmallow peeps, jelly beans and chocolate bunnies. Some folks embrace the spiritual side of the holiday. Count me in with those two groups. But Easter fish sandwiches and pirogie dinners is what makes early Spring so special for me.
I love me some pirogies. Making them from scratch is a PITA, but well worth the effort. I learned to make them years ago.
I remember way back, at least 35 years ago, my in-laws were having a family get together as all surviving siblings in both families were going to be in town at the same time. (both were the youngest of 10 children)
I ased my mother-in-law if she was making pirogies and she said she didn't have enough time. She said if I wanted them, I'd have to make them myself.
Well, I went to work and prepared about 2 bushels of pure heaven.
So the party is well under way when Uncle John, my mother-in-law's oldest brother told his little sister, "The pirogie are great, Mary."
I heard Mary reply, sounding a bit disappointed, "Ernie made them."
I escaped to the other room, not wanting Mary to know that I'd overheard. John followed me in and this giant of a man, close to 7 feet tall and well over 400 pounds cornered me and said, "The pirogie are great, Ernie. I'm going to make you an honorary Polock." I was honored and somewhat taken aback, but John had a big smile on his face, so I said what was on my mind, "Dubious honor, John." he looked at me, trying his best to look stern, but he couldn't hold it in. The house about shook apart from his laughter and Big John and I were friends for life.

Wow that's another thing we have in common Ernie, even though yours was by marriage.
I had an Uncle John too, he was my Dad's oldest brother and we were real close too.:)
He fought in WW1, he lied and said he was 17 when he was only 15.
He was such a fun Uncle.

Forum List

Back