USMB Coffee Shop IV

So I got a 7 pound ham at my local grocery for free because of points saved up from prior purchases, and I tried to put a dent in it eating it but fell woefully short. So I decided to make a big pot of bean soup and throw some of it in there. I boiled my beans for about 2 1/2 hours and then added onions, celery, carrots and fresh garlic, pepper and about half of what was left of the ham in big and small chunks. I boiled that for another 2 1/2 hours probably and it was finally ready to eat. I tasted it and decided it needed no salt at all, I thought it was fantastic. So, I wolfed down two bowls.

Why am I telling this story? :lol: Well believe it or not, it's because of my old, old, cheapie stockpot. Later when I washed it I was thinking... I bought this thing like 15 years ago in Phoenix, and it was in the cheapest cookware set I could find at walmart, so why don't I buy a new one? Well, as with anything, I do what most smart shoppers do and start shopping around to find what's good and looking for deals. It quickly become evident that the high end of stockpots is All-Clad, and what does an 8qt. All-Clad stockpot go for? Well on Amazon they're asking $282.00. I about fell out of my chair. So with some more shopping, I found one ebay for $150.00. Still, I think this is just crazy for a slab of pressed, bonded stainless steel and aluminum. So after much looking, comparing and shopping, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a $28.00 T-fal 8qt. stockpot at walmart would suffice.
Cast iron. It's the only way to go! I spent Spring Break seasoning the set a friend gave me for Christmas. Well cared for, cast iron will last forever and NOTHING cooks like cast iron.

I like cast iron too, but am reluctant to use it on my ceramic top stove. And the big skillets are so heavy they are difficult to use with my bad shoulder. So we have some good Cuisinart cookware and I have one big heavy non stick stainless steel skillet with a lid when I need a lid and that suits me.
I would note cast iron on a ceramic stovetop, either. And I understand that the weight may be an issue for some. Since I cook on either propane or wood burning stove
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, Spoonman, Freedombecki, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

A gold star to the first person who identifies this place:

View attachment 69075
Waitomo glow worms. I read an article about them and find them super cool!

Wow, I'm impressed but yes. They are a major attraction In Waitomo caves in New Zealand where boat tours and walking tours are offered to see the phenomenon of the glowworms.
I thought they were way too cool.
They are playing "The Ten Commandments", with C. Heston and Y. Brynr, I suppose because this is Easter ever. It's a great movie, though, whether one is religious, or not. Here's a trivia question: who played the role of baby Moses in this Cecil B. DeMill epic?
On other fronts, I "caucused" this morning for the first (and hopefully last) time. The experience was...interesting.

I know the film very well and we have had a lot of trivia parties based on it. Was it Stephen Greenhough?
Nah, it was Fraser Heston, son of Charles! I am enjoying the movie, regardless of one's religious convictions, it's a great flick!!!

They are playing "The Ten Commandments", with C. Heston and Y. Brynr, I suppose because this is Easter ever. It's a great movie, though, whether one is religious, or not. Here's a trivia question: who played the role of baby Moses in this Cecil B. DeMill epic?
On other fronts, I "caucused" this morning for the first (and hopefully last) time. The experience was...interesting.
Ya know..they are STILL looking for the leftover props from The Ten Commandments in the dunes south of me. Good luck, says I. Those are some mighty big dunes.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

upload_2016-3-27_8-59-50.png

It is chilly outside today. March and April kind of suck around my part of the country. One day it can be warm, and then the next day it can be cold. Last night it was only 29 degrees. Friday it was in the 50s. I can't wait for summer.

Well, discovered the problem with the hot water heater, something the plumber said when we talked on the phone yesterday. Turned the water feed back on and opened the pressure release valve, where the water was coming out (it feeds to the point where the water was coming out of the house). Let it run for about 30 seconds then closed the valve, no more water coming out. Turned the burner back on and we have hot water again. :thup:

You know the old saying: education is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

For me, wisdom is knowing not to put tomatoes in anything. :p

I know a few people who don't like tomatoes, but not being able to use tomatoes would be tragic for me. I want them in almost all my Mexican/southwestern cuisine, they are essential for many sandwiches, soups, stews, salads, and other recipes, and how can you have a decent pizza or any other Italian cuisine requiring marinara sauce without tomatoes, and then there are those who need that tomato juice for a morning hangover or de-skunking the dog

Other than pizza, I don't eat any of that or at least don't eat it with tomatoes. I also don't drink alcohol and have never had a skunk spray a dog. :lol:

So I got a 7 pound ham at my local grocery for free because of points saved up from prior purchases, and I tried to put a dent in it eating it but fell woefully short. So I decided to make a big pot of bean soup and throw some of it in there. I boiled my beans for about 2 1/2 hours and then added onions, celery, carrots and fresh garlic, pepper and about half of what was left of the ham in big and small chunks. I boiled that for another 2 1/2 hours probably and it was finally ready to eat. I tasted it and decided it needed no salt at all, I thought it was fantastic. So, I wolfed down two bowls.

Why am I telling this story? :lol: Well believe it or not, it's because of my old, old, cheapie stockpot. Later when I washed it I was thinking... I bought this thing like 15 years ago in Phoenix, and it was in the cheapest cookware set I could find at walmart, so why don't I buy a new one? Well, as with anything, I do what most smart shoppers do and start shopping around to find what's good and looking for deals. It quickly become evident that the high end of stockpots is All-Clad, and what does an 8qt. All-Clad stockpot go for? Well on Amazon they're asking $282.00. I about fell out of my chair. So with some more shopping, I found one ebay for $150.00. Still, I think this is just crazy for a slab of pressed, bonded stainless steel and aluminum. So after much looking, comparing and shopping, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a $28.00 T-fal 8qt. stockpot at walmart would suffice.
Cast iron. It's the only way to go! I spent Spring Break seasoning the set a friend gave me for Christmas. Well cared for, cast iron will last forever and NOTHING cooks like cast iron.

I like cast iron too, but am reluctant to use it on my ceramic top stove. And the big skillets are so heavy they are difficult to use with my bad shoulder. So we have some good Cuisinart cookware and I have one big heavy non stick stainless steel skillet with a lid when I need a lid and that suits me.
I would note cast iron on a ceramic stovetop, either. And I understand that the weight may be an issue for some. Since I cook on either propane or wood burning stove

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, Spoonman, Freedombecki, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

View attachment 69075
Waitomo glow worms. I read an article about them and find them super cool!

Wow, I'm impressed but yes. They are a major attraction In Waitomo caves in New Zealand where boat tours and walking tours are offered to see the phenomenon of the glowworms.

At least I got the cave part right. :p

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,

View attachment 69075

Some sort of lighted cave?

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,

RockofGuatap%C3%A91.jpg

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,

RockofGuatap%C3%A91.jpg
You're just getting into your car when suddenly; "oh shit, forgot my wallet........."

You know the old saying: education is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

For me, wisdom is knowing not to put tomatoes in anything. :p

I know a few people who don't like tomatoes, but not being able to use tomatoes would be tragic for me. I want them in almost all my Mexican/southwestern cuisine, they are essential for many sandwiches, soups, stews, salads, and other recipes, and how can you have a decent pizza or any other Italian cuisine requiring marinara sauce without tomatoes, and then there are those who need that tomato juice for a morning hangover or de-skunking the dog

Other than pizza, I don't eat any of that or at least don't eat it with tomatoes. I also don't drink alcohol and have never had a skunk spray a dog. :lol:

YET . . . :eusa_shifty:

Hello, CS...WQ and I are back from our wonderful honeymoon.:) We both absolutely loved Savannah.:thup: We had an opportunity to check out the historic district in Charleston, but decided to cut that leg short and return when the weather is better. What we did see was a lot of congestion and very touristy feel. We have lots of chores to catch up on, and I'm happy not to be returning to work until next week.:clap:

Hello, CS...WQ and I are back from our wonderful honeymoon.:) We both absolutely loved Savannah.:thup: We had an opportunity to check out the historic district in Charleston, but decided to cut that leg short and return when the weather is better. What we did see was a lot of congestion and very touristy feel. We have lots of chores to catch up on, and I'm happy not to be returning to work until next week.:clap:

Happy you had a good trip and safe travels but sorry about the weather. Mother Nature has been throwing some tantrums in a lot of places lately. But a week off just to catch up and kick back is good too. So enjoy.

Forum List

Back