USMB Coffee Shop IV

12042718_1191687680855377_7065465964057826978_n.jpg

I am not fond of tomatoes. Not even as sauce for pizza. I use Italian Dressing or Ranch dressing on my gluten free pizza...not tomato sauce.

Blustery here. No outside yardwork today. Too cold. And windy. And my sinuses are having a fit. So..I am off to the thrift shop and see if I can find any treasures.

I am not fond of tomatoes. Not even as sauce for pizza. I use Italian Dressing or Ranch dressing on my gluten free pizza...not tomato sauce.

Blustery here. No outside yardwork today. Too cold. And windy. And my sinuses are having a fit. So..I am off to the thrift shop and see if I can find any treasures.
Some folks are turned off by the acidity in tomatoes. But be aware! In Naples, Italy there are Pizza Police. A government bureau dedicated to the purity of ingredients and the quality of pizza pies. I don't know if the Italians would read you your rights, but they definitely would put you in the slammer for omitting tomatoes from something as sacred and holy as a pizza pie!

And it's blustery and chilly here too. The kind of day that inspires school kids to make construction paper posters of what March is suppose to be like. Umbrellas turning inside out, a stinging rain pelting faces and newly blossomed trees getting slapped around.

The ornamental pear trees (Bradford pears) that line the streets downtown are holding fast to their white petals. Daffodils just beginning their stretch as the first Spring flowers are cowering against the chill and wind. Tulips have sprouted their stems and leaves, but the flower is still well hidden away.

The yard needs a good raking. Twigs and dead grass and other detritus from late Autumn and Winter have to be taken out. The blade on the mower could use a new edge. I wonder how much string is still on the weed eater? Time to put on the work gloves, throw caution to the wind and get to work.

What would top off a session of yard work? A pizza pie!

Last edited:
Do a lot of dogs have under bites? I thought Daisy the Mutt's was kind of unique.

993646736ce8f2254ecba7a22f9943eb.jpg

I don't know about poodles. They are very common among the Oriental breeds - Lhasas, Shhi-tzu, pugs and almost all of the bulldog types.
My brother, no dog expert, said something about round headed dogs like poodles and flat headed dogs like Golden Relievers. I wonder if that has anything to do with dogs smiles?

Do a lot of dogs have under bites? I thought Daisy the Mutt's was kind of unique.

993646736ce8f2254ecba7a22f9943eb.jpg

I don't know about poodles. They are very common among the Oriental breeds - Lhasas, Shhi-tzu, pugs and almost all of the bulldog types.
My brother, no dog expert, said something about round headed dogs like poodles and flat headed dogs like Golden Relievers. I wonder if that has anything to do with dogs smiles?

Hmmm. I had not heard that. But maybe he is right.

I had to go out there and tie down some oriental trees in pots....they were tipped over and rolling across the yard! Thankfully, I don't have many plants left since the yard sale, so I only had to tie a couple.

I have a very dear friend in Brooklyn. She visits me to blow some stink off of herself and luxuriate in the green forests and pastures of northeast Ohio. I visit her to take in the sights and smells of a cosmopolitan city and shed some of the flyover country affectations that build up like barnacles on the hull of a ship.

She has a four year old grand daughter who is the apple of her eye. Her name is Olivia. I send Olivia Ohio State shirts, Pittsburgh Pirates jerseys and Steeler paraphernalia to keep her cultured and unsullied by New York allegiances.

My friend just called to say that Olivia and her daddy (my friend's son) just marched into her house. Olivia crawled up on my friend's lap and said "Guess what, Granny! I'm gonna have a baby!"

"Really!" answered my friend "Who's the father?"

"Daddy is!" answered Olivia.

Then it became clear that Olivia was going to be a big sister come early November.

Mazel Tov!.

Last edited:
It's funny what you might take for granted. Whenever my friend from Brooklyn ventures west to the Rust Belt, she has me slow down so she can take snapshots. The subjects of her shutterbug zeal is what's fascinating. She shoots signs at convenience stores advertising cigarette prices. MARLBORO 100"s $4.89.

Gun Shops are a favorite subject along with the illuminated menus in fast food chains that omit the calorie count and show that a Big Mac can be bought without taking a second mortgage out on her house.

She photographs locks and dams on the Ohio, scenic vistas from the hilltops and sprawling apple orchards in the countryside.

When I'm in Brooklyn, I'm fascinated by Dominican Republic bodegas, Jewish yeshivas and cemeteries that bury the dead three and four deep in the same plot.

She loves to drive into Pittsburgh through the Fort Pitt tunnel and take in the stunning view from the Fort Pitt Bridge. here's something of what that's like:

I love the ambience of walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I eat knishes and drink egg creams from vendors on the Coney island boardwalk. She can't wait to get to Primanti Brothers in The Strip for a cappocola and egg.

Of course we put fries on everything!

We Pittsburghers love, and I mean love with a capital L fireworks. Probably because the best sky rockets in America are made right here in New Castle, PA. They have so many fireworks nights at PNC Park that, as rumor has it, a displaced family from war torn Iraq was settled on the Northside of Pittsburgh but asked to be moved because of the din of fireworks going off so frequently.

I've seen the Manhattan exhibitions and the Friday night fireworks show at Coney Island. We do it better.

But my friend finds our pizza to be damn near inedible, so there's that.

I say 'tennis shoes 'nd gumbands'. She says 'sneakers' and rubber bands. I say we should go "dahntahn and see the Stillers". She says "fugedabodit".

High winds, we're experiencing a brown out...... and I'm not talking about electricity.

Same here. Blowing dust almost obscures the Sandias. We took a friend for a medical procedure early afternoon and it was blowing hard. But we went for a late lunch afterward and as we were exiting the restaurant, the gusts were so strong you literally had to lean in to them to keep the wind from moving you. All the flags standing straight out.

Howdy, All!
Weather has been fairly normal for this time of year. Melt off continues apace, but there is still ice under some of the ankle-deep puddles. Of course, we have a volcano that has decided to make Spring interesting...last I looked, there was a 4000 mile, 37,000 high plume of ash. Locals have reported lava fountains estimated to be 1/2 mile high.
Old Lady cat had a follow up with Auntie Vet this afternoon. The vet declared my kitty "fabulous"!! Her tumor has become smaller and less infected and (most of all) her eyes are clear and lacking the dull, unfocused look she had before. We'll keep her on antibiotics for a while yet because they do seem to be helping. But the vet still hesitates to surgically remove that tumor because a 21 yr-old kitty stands too much chance of dying due to anesthesia. The tumor is benign and doesn't seem to cause pain, so we've decided to let things go for now.

Forum List

Back