USMB Coffee Shop IV

giraffe.png

About two months ago there was a suicide in a neighborhood I watch several homes in throughout the winter. One of my customers has a camera system in place and the Sheriff Department was granted access to it. I was there to give entry several times.

The investigation resulted in the arrest of three people yesterday and today. Heroin delivery charges.
Yikes! Was the Sui cider associated with the drug dealers?

Yes, and there was another over dose at a hotel less than a half mile from where one of the dealers lives on Thursday. This is probably going to save a couple lives.

I have no experience with heroin, that is to say I don't personally know any heroin users and needless to say I have never tried it.

But I have never heard an ex-heroin user say "When I was on H, it was the best experience of my life. The salad days!" Every ex-heroin user (and in my experience they have been rock stars being interviewed), say they wish they had never picked up a needle. I wonder why someone would roll the dice and start?

Last edited:
Apparently heroin is a big problem even out here in the countryside. Cheap and very available. This batch was laced with Fentinol (sp.?). No idea what that means.

Fentanyl acts upon specific receptors in your brain and spinal cord to decrease the feeling of pain and to reduce your emotional response to pain. The action of fentanyl is similar to other drugs in the morphine category (opioids). - WebMD

Mom drove me up to North Lima and the eye surgery center today to be measured and assessed for the first operation on Thursday.

I went through the measurement process by putting my chin in a cup and resting my forehead against a strap and staring blankly into a series of machines with lights. The first machine offered up a green dot with what appeared to be a stack of black twigs. When they measured my left eye, that stack of twigs was more clearly visible as a star or asterisk. And here I thought my left eye was the poorer of the two.

The second device had an amber dot that looked like a setting sun. That went well.

But the third machine looked like a prop from a bad sci-fi movie. It had a nylon and Velcro strap to steady the noggin. The business end of this gizmo had what appeared to be a series of dark gray parenthesis on a jet black background. Once my head was secured, the gray arcs turned bright yellow (a Steelers fan's idea of a beautiful color scheme) and a scarlet fuzzy light in the middle that gradually became more focused until the machine let out a grand "CLICK" like a camera.

This went on for a good twenty minutes. Then came the presentation of the eye drop regimine. One set three times a day, one set twice daily and a third set daily for the next twenty three days.

My brother explained that preparing for a colonoscopy is something to dred while eye surgery preparation is a sissy's way to go. I have to admir he makes a good point.

Mom drove me up to North Lima and the eye surgery center today to be measured and assessed for the first operation on Thursday.

I went through the measurement process by putting my chin in a cup and resting my forehead against a strap and staring blankly into a series of machines with lights. The first machine offered up a green dot with what appeared to be a stack of black twigs. When they measured my left eye, that stack of twigs was more clearly visible as a star or asterisk. And here I thought my left eye was the poorer of the two.

The second device had an amber dot that looked like a setting sun. That went well.

But the third machine looked like a prop from a bad sci-fi movie. It had a nylon and Velcro strap to steady the noggin. The business end of this gizmo had what appeared to be a series of dark gray parenthesis on a jet black background. Once my head was secured, the gray arcs turned bright yellow (a Steelers fan's idea of a beautiful color scheme) and a scarlet fuzzy light in the middle that gradually became more focused until the machine let out a grand "CLICK" like a camera.

This went on for a good twenty minutes. Then came the presentation of the eye drop regimine. One set three times a day, one set twice daily and a third set daily for the next twenty three days.

My brother explained that preparing for a colonoscopy is something to dred while eye surgery preparation is a sissy's way to go. I have to admir he makes a good point.

Wow, they are doing a lot more prep with you than with me. But no matter. You're still going to be soooooo happy you had this done. It is incredible how it will improve your quality of life.

So today, in an effort to feed us a more healthy diet, I am researching a number of foods and ran across an article describing 12 foods we normally eat that could be poisonous. The first thing on the list was lima beans and I thought YES!!! (I hate lima beans.) But then I saw some of the other items and was not as happy about it, though I think we're all probably okay. The 12 foods to be aware of so you don't consume any unexpected phytohaemagglutinin:

Lima beans - raw or... undercooked they contain cyanide (They're okay when thoroughly cooked)

Rhubarb - red stems are okay. Leaves contain oxalic acid, a nephrotoxic and corrosive compound commonly found in metal cleaners and bleach. Also, anthraquinone glycoside that can cause severe symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea and gastric pain.

Mushrooms - only eat those you know are safe. The poisonous ones come with dangerous side effects and some are deadly.

Kidney beans - raw or undercooked they contain a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin or kidney bean lectin that can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and in extreme cases, death. (Okay when thoroughly cooked.)

Apples - nutritious and healthful except for the seeds. One or two consumed by accident probably won't hurt you but the seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides that turn into cyanide if consumed, so don't snack on them.

Potatoes - store in cool dry place and they will be fine, but if left in the sun they can develop solanine that can cause gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, vomiting, burning of the throat, dizziness, cardiac issues, hallucinations, paralysis, fever, and other severe symptoms. The poisonous ones will look green. (I'm guessing you would have to eat an awful lot of green potatoes to poison yourself though.)

Cashews - the roasted or otherwise cooked ones are fine but handling or eating raw ones expose us to urushiol, the same stuff that causes reaction from poison ivy.

Chile Peppers - in moderation, they are great food. But the really hot ones in excess can expose us to too much capsaicin, the same stuff the police put in pepper spray. It can cause severe gastrointestinal distress that, if severe enough, could be fatal.

Almonds - the ones in the grocery store are highly nutritious, great food. The wild variety contain significant cyanide, so be sure of your source.

Castor beans - processed in the medicinal form, they're okay (but really yucky.) The raw ones are pure poison. Don't eat them.

Tomatoes - a dietary staple for most of us and great food. Except for the stems that contain tomatine, a substance that’s toxic enough to be used as a pesticide. So make sure the stems don't make it into your salad or marinara sauce.

Casava - something probably we don't usually stock as a staple, but just in case, unless it is properly soaked, dried, and processed, it contains enough cyanide to be dangerous.

http://dailyhealthremedies.com/8-poisonous-foods-commonl…/1/

Weather here's been a mixed bag, dropping to, or close to, freezing some nights but up to the high 40s during the day. The goats are really happy that the ice is out and the ground is drying enough to lay out in the sun.
Right now, I'm being pretty aggravated at a pair of students. I tried to expedite the lab they are working on in an effort to finish up. They were the last two and I figured I could stay a bit late to get them through it. Well, it's been almost an hour overtime and they are still fiddle-farting around with reassembly. One of them may understand about 30% of the lesson. The other one...yeah, not so much. When I finally set them to reassembling their project, they informed me that neither had completed a second assignment because they had wasted, yes, wasted, about 10 class hours on this one project. Now I have to find some make up time, which is a chore because neither of these two should ever, ever, be mechanics...of any stripe, let alone airplane mechanics!
OK, steam blown off. Now I get to go run errands for the partner, who will be laid up 4-6 months. Well, whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. If I make it through this trial, I will be a force to be reckoned with!
I hope to visit y'all again later.

I've told you stories of Pop before. How he wanted to watch his own orthroscopic surgery, how he loved his dogs and would let them lick his face while he read the evening newspapers, how he taught his sons to respect the written word and how, for fifty five years he loved his wife.

But today is the anniversary of his death and I'd like to tell you how he passed.

It was 3:00 in the morning on Friday April 4 when my phone rang. My brother told me to get to the Big House right away. My brother lives only a few blocks away and got the call from Mom first. I got there about ten minutes later. Pop was already on the ambulance stretcher and was being carried down the stairs. We had a similar scare with Mom in February and no one thought to bring her some warm clothes to come home from the hospital in. I was not going to make the same mistake twice so I gathered up a sweater, a pair of trousers, a pair of socks and shoes for Pop. I put the clothes on the back seat of my car and followed the ambulance down the hill to the emergency room. After the requisite paperwork, initial exam and Pop being wheeled into the x-Ray room, the time wore on to 4:30.

That's when the doctor met with Mom and her sons and told her that Pop had suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage and there was not going to be a good outcome. We gathered around his emergency room bed and wept and worried and prayed.

The hospital chaplain was summoned and prayed with us. He incredulously prayed for a swift and complete recovery. I flinched because I knew that was not possible. We thanked the chaplain, who had delivered his standard hospital prayer and took our places as Pop laid silent, except for his labored breathing.

By chance, or grace, or providence, our minister came into the ER. He was there on another appeal, but knowing all of us for all my life, he took his place in our circle and prayed.

He prayed for a gentle, peaceful passing. He prayed for Pop's soul and its safe keeping. It was now 5:00 am.

Four minutes later Pop rose slightly, turned to his right and quietly passed away.

I saw the actions of a loving, caring and forgiving God that morning. Pop died surrounded by his family with as little pain and suffering as possible.

At 8:00 that morning the call came asking us to donate Pop's eyes and long bones to help others. We agreed with sadness and a twinge of joy. I had to pick out a suit to bury Pop in and his blue flannel was my choice.

I took his suit from the clothes press and carried out to my car so I could take it to the dry cleaner. I was going to buy him a new shirt and have the funeral director tie his Carnegie Mellon University alumnae tie on him. When I opened the back door of my car I saw the sweater and trousers and shoes and socks I put there to bring Pop home in. Instead, I put his blue flannel on the seat.

The rest of that weekend remains a blur. I know that the rest of April that year was consumed with thank you cards, insurance agents, lawyers and fresh cut slower so daily on his new grave.

I still miss him everyday.

Hi All,

One personal win that I want to share. I've adopted four children who were part of a sibling group of nine. Bio mom is an addict, adult daughter of alcoholic parents. Bio dad is also adult child of alcoholic parents and I'm an adult child of an alcoholic.

I know lots of people are dealing with having a loved one who is either mentally ill or substance abusing or both.

I just sent for the Laundry List workbook. I'd like to work my way through it and offer something back to my family and the community.

May all beings benefit.

Dhara

I'm sorry Nosmo about your dad :(

What eye surgery are you having? I go see the cataract surgeon doc on the 18th so he can examine what needs done and I'm freaking out about it, to be honest. They are gonna have to knock my ass out too, cuz twilight drugs don't work on me. Still...knowing someone is sticking a knife in my eyeball freaks me out worse than the damn colonoscopy...which is nothing compared to the prep of it.

Meanwhile...new roomie arrived about an hour ago and is moving his stuff in. He and the other roomie met and became instant friends. I told them both to enjoy, cuz granny and grampy were heading back to the back of the house to join our moth balls and left them to jabber in spanish and discuss parking spaces, shower times on the bathroom they share and whatever else whippersnappers talk about. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm sorry Nosmo :(

What eye surgery are you having? I go see the cataract surgeon doc on the 18th so he can examine what needs done and I'm freaking out about it, to be honest. They are gonna have to knock my ass out too, cuz twilight drugs don't work on me. Still...knowing someone is sticking a knife in my eyeball freaks me out worse than the damn colonoscopy...which is nothing compared to the prep of it.

Meanwhile...new roomie arrived about an hour ago and is moving his stuff in. He and the other roomie met and became instant friends. I told them both to enjoy, cuz granny and grampy were heading back to the back of the house to join our moth balls and left them to jabber in spanish and discuss parking spaces, shower times on the bathroom they share and whatever else whippersnappers talk about. :lol:

Nosmo is having cataract surgery and I'll tell you what I have been telling him. It is truly a miracle medical procedure, absolutely painless--at least it was for me, before, during, and after--the follow up just requires using special eye drops for a few days and wearing an eye protector when you go to bed at night for about three days--that is to keep you from inadvertently injuring the healing eye--and then it is done. You will see better most likely than you ever had in your life--images are sharper, more in focus, and in amazing detail, colors are brilliant and vibrant, and you'll love it.

I've told you stories of Pop before. How he wanted to watch his own orthroscopic surgery, how he loved his dogs and would let them lick his face while he read the evening newspapers, how he taught his sons to respect the written word and how, for fifty five years he loved his wife.

But today is the anniversary of his death and I'd like to tell you how he passed.

It was 3:00 in the morning on Friday April 4 when my phone rang. My brother told me to get to the Big House right away. My brother lives only a few blocks away and got the call from Mom first. I got there about ten minutes later. Pop was already on the ambulance stretcher and was being carried down the stairs. We had a similar scare with Mom in February and no one thought to bring her some warm clothes to come home from the hospital in. I was not going to make the same mistake twice so I gathered up a sweater, a pair of trousers, a pair of socks and shoes for Pop. I put the clothes on the back seat of my car and followed the ambulance down the hill to the emergency room. After the requisite paperwork, initial exam and Pop being wheeled into the x-Ray room, the time wore on to 4:30.

That's when the doctor met with Mom and her sons and told her that Pop had suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage and there was not going to be a good outcome. We gathered around his emergency room bed and wept and worried and prayed.

The hospital chaplain was summoned and prayed with us. He incredulously prayed for a swift and complete recovery. I flinched because I knew that was not possible. We thanked the chaplain, who had delivered his standard hospital prayer and took our places as Pop laid silent, except for his labored breathing.

By chance, or grace, or providence, our minister came into the ER. He was there on another appeal, but knowing all of us for all my life, he took his place in our circle and prayed.

He prayed for a gentle, peaceful passing. He prayed for Pop's soul and its safe keeping. It was now 5:00 am.

Four minutes later Pop rose slightly, turned to his right and quietly passed away.

I saw the actions of a loving, caring and forgiving God that morning. Pop died surrounded by his family with as little pain and suffering as possible.

At 8:00 that morning the call came asking us to donate Pop's eyes and long bones to help others. We agreed with sadness and a twinge of joy. I had to pick out a suit to bury Pop in and his blue flannel was my choice.

I took his suit from the clothes press and carried out to my car so I could take it to the dry cleaner. I was going to buy him a new shirt and have the funeral director tie his Carnegie Mellon University alumnae tie on him. When I opened the back door of my car I saw the sweater and trousers and shoes and socks I put there to bring Pop home in. Instead, I put his blue flannel on the seat.

The rest of that weekend remains a blur. I know that the rest of April that year was consumed with thank you cards, insurance agents, lawyers and fresh cut slower so daily on his new grave.

I still miss him everyday.

That was beautiful. :smiliehug::smiliehug::smiliehug::smiliehug:

I'm sorry Nosmo :(

Nosmo is having cataract surgery and I'll tell you what I have been telling him. It is truly a miracle medical procedure, absolutely painless--at least it was for me, before, during, and after--the follow up just requires using special eye drops for a few days and wearing an eye protector when you go to bed at night for about three days--that is to keep you from inadvertently injuring the healing eye--and then it is done. You will see better most likely than you ever had in your life--images are sharper, more in focus, and in amazing detail, colors are brilliant and vibrant, and you'll love it.
I watched the surgery on youtube. *Shudder*

But...I hope it works out like everyone says. I am working on another dresser and have been painting bamboo on the sides and front drawers. Imagine this scenario...me....right hand on rolling pin so I can move up and down with the brush in my hand so my fingers and wrists don't shake so much...large magnifying glass in my left hand so I can see where the damn leaves go, all hunkered down on my knees that are planted on two rolled up towels cuz the floor in the patio room has no padding although it does have indoor outdoor carpet. I THINK I got all the leaves but being blind...who knows. But I got most of it done (I think), and now all I have to do is antique the 7 drawers, then varnish.

Being able to see will be a big help.

Forum List

Back