USMB Coffee Shop IV

Took a drive up to Ruidoso today mostly just to run away for a while. Hit some of the junk shops and the wife bought some cheap trinkets, retail therapy........

Next Monday she has an interview in alien central...... Roswell......

Took a drive up to Ruidoso today mostly just to run away for a while. Hit some of the junk shops and the wife bought some cheap trinkets, retail therapy........

Granted Roswell is not exactly in the midst of where the action is and unless you take a commuter plane to Albuquerque or Lubbock, you have to drive to those places to board a serious flight anywhere. But you could live in a lot worse places. Big enough to have most of the amenities. . .but definitely small town. And it is just a hop and skip in a scenic drive to get to Lincoln or Capitan or Ruidoso. A long. . .long. . .LONG boring two and a half to three hour drive to Albuquerque from there, but it is four lane the whole way. And four lanes down to Carlsbad that does have some interesting stuff.

Granted Roswell is not exactly in the midst of where the action is and unless you take a commuter plane to Albuquerque or Lubbock, you have to drive to those places to board a serious flight anywhere. But you could live in a lot worse places. Big enough to have most of the amenities. . .but definitely small town. And it is just a hop and skip in a scenic drive to get to Lincoln or Capitan or Ruidoso. A long. . .long. . .LONG boring two and a half to three hour drive to Albuquerque from there, but it is four lane the whole way. And four lanes down to Carlsbad that does have some interesting stuff.
We've been to Roswell a couple of three times so yeah, we're familiar with it. Not a bad little town and yeah, almost out in the middle of nowhere but doable.
If I get back into reenacting/living history Lincoln is 45 minutes away and Fort Stanton is an hour away. The guys at Fort Stanton have invited me to join up with them so we'll see.

The potential upside to moving to NM is my odds of being approved for SSDI almost doubles, the downside is (potentially) having to go to Albuquerque for any major VA medical.

The potential upside to moving to NM is my odds of being approved for SSDI almost doubles, the downside is (potentially) having to go to Albuquerque for any major VA medical.

That's true, but as previously noted, it is four lane all the way with little traffic. You can amuse yourself counting antelope in the pastures along the way. And, there is more and more pressure to allow veterans to use the VA OR their doctor of choice wherever they are. So maybe that will happen. Being the regional business hub, Roswell probably has some excellent medical facilities.

And I would think, given the highly specialized nature of Mrs. R's work, unless somebody already was conditioned to places like Roswell, not all that many people would see moving there as an attractive choice. So that could reduce the competition for that job.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
For every happiness for Sherry and WQ,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Gracie's eye surgery and stop smoking project,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
Peach and her family for comfort,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

upload_2016-4-23_22-7-38.png

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

View attachment 72683

That looks ridiculously difficult to maintain. :p

No ! No ! No! Windows 10 is telling me it will download tonight, and not giving me the option to cancel it.
The bastards !

Change your update settings. Turn off automatic updates. :dunno:

I turned off my computer and waited for the time scheduled for download to pass. When I switched back on it had set a new schedule and left the option to cancel it open.
I looked at the page you listed recently that tells you how to turn off scheduling for win 10 and it is complicated. I can stop the notifications, but I am not sure if doing that means you stop the download or it simply does not tell you its going to download. As far as I can see you have to delete files in your registry to stop the download.

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,

View attachment 72683

That looks ridiculously difficult to maintain. :p

Well you would want a lawnmower at ever level of your home I would think. :) But it fascinated me. I can understand growing grass with that shallow a root system, but those trees? What supports them?

And good morning everybody. I still need to do a bit more maintenance around here before our houseguests arrive early afternoon. Enjoying my breakfast shake at the moment and thinking about how much more maintenance I think necessary. We will skip church this morning to be able to get it all done though. But hope everybody is having a great Sunday.

Our Sandias at sundown last night:

13086806_10154023536075359_8158036188545670377_o.jpg

No ! No ! No! Windows 10 is telling me it will download tonight, and not giving me the option to cancel it.
The bastards !

Change your update settings. Turn off automatic updates. :dunno:

I turned off my computer and waited for the time scheduled for download to pass. When I switched back on it had set a new schedule and left the option to cancel it open.
I looked at the page you listed recently that tells you how to turn off scheduling for win 10 and it is complicated. I can stop the notifications, but I am not sure if doing that means you stop the download or it simply does not tell you its going to download. As far as I can see you have to delete files in your registry to stop the download.

You can stop it from updating to Win10. I'm running Win7 on this PC (well, I dual boot Linux, but I'm on Win7 right now) and it doesn't ask me to upgrade to 10 and doesn't do it by itself. Of course, I don't have it set to automatically update, either.

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Sherry’s Mom,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,

View attachment 72683
Imagine trying to mow that roof?

Another week zipped by. Tonight's dinner will be prepared by my buddy's GF, an average cook. Best thing about her cooking is IDON"THAFTADOIT!!! I'm going to propose the partner be included in our weekly rotation, since he's going to be chowing down with us for a while yet. Even if he can't cook, he can either by the supplies (I'll cook) or order pizza.
Finals week next week. Two tests, some grading, and I'm done for the summer. I looked at the schedule for the fall semester and didn't see my name assigned to any classes. With the new instructor on board, they may not need (or be able to afford) an adjunct. I suppose I'll miss the supplemental income a bit, but having my weekends for my projects will be more than enough compensation for that loss.
Spring has sprung here. We've been logging record high temps for the longest time period. Gorbal warming is never unwelcome in a place where there's usually snow on the ground until mid-May.

That's true, but as previously noted, it is four lane all the way with little traffic. You can amuse yourself counting antelope in the pastures along the way. And, there is more and more pressure to allow veterans to use the VA OR their doctor of choice wherever they are. So maybe that will happen. Being the regional business hub, Roswell probably has some excellent medical facilities.

And I would think, given the highly specialized nature of Mrs. R's work, unless somebody already was conditioned to places like Roswell, not all that many people would see moving there as an attractive choice. So that could reduce the competition for that job.

Why would someone in Roswell drive for hours? Kind of defeats the spacecraft availability.

Why would someone in Roswell drive for hours? Kind of defeats the spacecraft availability.
Pretty sure we'll have access to a Stargate. :thup:

Forum List

Back