USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have owned the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate for twenty six years now. The first real money I invested in it was new windows. The old single pane windows were shot. The casements in the Grand Hall could not even close all the way! Installing storm windows in the winter was a Fool's Game, even when I was in my mid 30s. So, new windows was a priority. After four years I renovated the kitchen and upgraded the electrical service from a meager 60 amps to a full 200 amps. Custom cabinets, granite counter tops and an under mounted sink along with new appliances and wallpaper satisfied the remodeler in me for a couple years.

Then it was on to the bathroom. I gutted the room and installed a mosaic tile floor, custom shower (it's like a car wash in there! I got stuff cleaned that had not been cleaned in forty years!) A heated towel rack and a heat lamp as you step from the shower gave me the amenities I had grown used to in hotels.

The Grand hall was next, five years after the bathroom. I refinished the hardwood floors, installed a gas fireplace insert into a custom ceramic tile fireplace and mantle. The big ass drapes was the prime cost factor there as they wrap around one corner of the room.

And you know of the trials and tribulations remodeling the master suite. I blame most of that on poor vision and bronchitis, but it's all done now!

Home ownership! Mortgages, but equity. Remodeling costs, but the privilege of choice in the process. And as I am a single man, no compromises!

I have owned the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate for twenty six years now. The first real money I invested in it was new windows. The old single pane windows were shot. The casements in the Grand Hall could not even close all the way! Installing storm windows in the winter was a Fool's Game, even when I was in my mid 30s. So, new windows was a priority. After four years I renovated the kitchen and upgraded the electrical service from a meager 60 amps to a full 200 amps. Custom cabinets, granite counter tops and an under mounted sink along with new appliances and wallpaper satisfied the remodeler in me for a couple years.

Then it was on to the bathroom. I gutted the room and installed a mosaic tile floor, custom shower (it's like a car wash in there! I got stuff cleaned that had not been cleaned in forty years!) A heated towel rack and a heat lamp as you step from the shower gave me the amenities I had grown used to in hotels.

The Grand hall was next, five years after the bathroom. I refinished the hardwood floors, installed a gas fireplace insert into a custom ceramic tile fireplace and mantle. The big ass drapes was the prime cost factor there as they wrap around one corner of the room.

And you know of the trials and tribulations remodeling the master suite. I blame most of that on poor vision and bronchitis, but it's all done now!

Home ownership! Mortgages, but equity. Remodeling costs, but the privilege of choice in the process. And as I am a single man, no compromises!

That sounds nice, but I don't have the time or know-how to fix things. Most of the time, I working and when I'm not working, that is my "leisure time." :)

In southern Indiana we really get the crappy side of seasons on both sides.
Even though we are far north of the Gulf, it is the main driver of the weather here. So in the summer it is plenty humid. Nothing to be 90 degrees with a dewpoint 70 or above. It's like hot soup.
Winters are wildly all over the place here. We will often get a 70 degree day in December...but within 24 hrs it could be in the teens with freezing rain.
The best time here is the fall, but it is painfully brief. We have legendary fall weather here, with people visiting parks here from all over the U.S. In September we can have low humidity, breezy 70 degree days down in the 50's at night for the entire month and into October. So we may only get 30-40 really nice weather days a year. :(
When I retire, I am absolutely moving elsewhere...just not sure where.

We have a terribly long winter season and a short but very hot and humid summer season here. I would like for our summers to be a bit longer and winters to be shorter though. Summer goes by very quickly.

It's been rainy and overcast this week so far. It's supposed to be rainy all week and into the weekend, at least that is the forecast now, but as Mark Twain said, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute. :D

And we have an interminable long summer while we are waiting desperately for cooler air to make it more pleasant to be outdoors. Winter is brief and relatively mild when we all would love a longer, much more snowy season to replenish our watersheds and lucrative winter sports. But we all choose to live where we are because the good outweighs the bad I suppose.

That's what you think. Lol. Until you are freezing your butt off every day! :D Winter is a drag.

I suppose if it went on too long it would be. But winters in northern Kansas were real winters, and we had a short growing season when we lived up on the mountain too. And I didn't feel oppressed by winter.

Even though we are far north of the Gulf, it is the main driver of the weather here. So in the summer it is plenty humid. Nothing to be 90 degrees with a dewpoint 70 or above. It's like hot soup.
Winters are wildly all over the place here. We will often get a 70 degree day in December...but within 24 hrs it could be in the teens with freezing rain.
The best time here is the fall, but it is painfully brief. We have legendary fall weather here, with people visiting parks here from all over the U.S. In September we can have low humidity, breezy 70 degree days down in the 50's at night for the entire month and into October. So we may only get 30-40 really nice weather days a year. :(

We have a terribly long winter season and a short but very hot and humid summer season here. I would like for our summers to be a bit longer and winters to be shorter though. Summer goes by very quickly.

It's been rainy and overcast this week so far. It's supposed to be rainy all week and into the weekend, at least that is the forecast now, but as Mark Twain said, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute. :D

And we have an interminable long summer while we are waiting desperately for cooler air to make it more pleasant to be outdoors. Winter is brief and relatively mild when we all would love a longer, much more snowy season to replenish our watersheds and lucrative winter sports. But we all choose to live where we are because the good outweighs the bad I suppose.

That's what you think. Lol. Until you are freezing your butt off every day! :D Winter is a drag.

I suppose if it went on too long it would be. But winters in northern Kansas were real winters, and we had a short growing season when we lived up on the mountain too. And I didn't feel oppressed by winter.

I hate winter. I've lived here in New England my whole life, and I'm tired of such long drab winters.

That sounds nice, but I don't have the time or know-how to fix things. Most of the time, I working and when I'm not working, that is my "leisure time." :)
Just about all the improvements were done by professionals. The best thing I know how to do is write checks!

Just about all the improvements were done by professionals. The best thing I know how to do is write checks!

Well, it sounds as if you have a lovely home! :)

Pretty unusual numbers on the British lotto tonight. they were 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 20 - 21. I expect it will roll over as nobody will likely win with those numbers, My first number was 5 so I totally missed it.

I hate winter. I've lived here in New England my whole life, and I'm tired of such long drab winters.
The southwest has some relatively short, warm winters, well if you stick with the high desert areas, the mountains are a completely different story altogether. Of course in the high desert one shouldn't suffer from agoraphobia........ :thup:

Sometimes, I wish we had a landlord. There's a lot that needs fixing around here, and we have to do it.

I have been in a rented flat for 22 years, and I am so entrenched I live in fear of getting evicted, because I would not be able to cope with it. But I get on well with my landlords, and they have been prompt in fixing things when I ring them.
They purchased the house with me as a sitting tenant and that freaked me out because I was paying low rent. I know they wanted to get rid of me to get more rent. But they have put the rent up three times in the last five years, and I think they still want more money.

Definitely one of the down sides of renting. You end up paying a LOT more than a homeowner in the long run. Actually, my monthly rent runs higher than many people's mortgages! I don't need a big house though. I would like to rent a small cottage by the ocean (somewhere with a longer summer season than we get here though).

Yea! I inherited money from an uncle about five years ago, and it is slowly draining away on rent. I did not inherit enough money to buy a flat. So I have no choice but to watch my money drain away.

I just work a lot. Sometimes overtime to pay the bills. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country. One of these days I'll get motivated enough to do some research and move out of this state.

I am retired on a state pension. It is not enough to live on, but when I am down to my last six thousand pounds savings, I will be able to claim council rent allowance to cover some of the rent.

you might want to see a lawyer, you may be able to put that money in a trust where the government can't count it against you.

Landlord is here finally. He is late. He was supposed to be here at 9 AM. :rolleyes-41: He is so annoying. Hopefully he finishes and leaves soon. He is actually not the real landlord. He is the landlord's son.

Sometimes, I wish we had a landlord. There's a lot that needs fixing around here, and we have to do it.

I have been in a rented flat for 22 years, and I am so entrenched I live in fear of getting evicted, because I would not be able to cope with it. But I get on well with my landlords, and they have been prompt in fixing things when I ring them.
They purchased the house with me as a sitting tenant and that freaked me out because I was paying low rent. I know they wanted to get rid of me to get more rent. But they have put the rent up three times in the last five years, and I think they still want more money.

Definitely one of the down sides of renting. You end up paying a LOT more than a homeowner in the long run. Actually, my monthly rent runs higher than many people's mortgages! I don't need a big house though. I would like to rent a small cottage by the ocean (somewhere with a longer summer season than we get here though).

Yea! I inherited money from an uncle about five years ago, and it is slowly draining away on rent. I did not inherit enough money to buy a flat. So I have no choice but to watch my money drain away.

I just work a lot. Sometimes overtime to pay the bills. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country. One of these days I'll get motivated enough to do some research and move out of this state.

Move down to GA and in 2-3 years, when I have to leave this nanny gig, I'll be your roomie! :lol:

Morning iam and everybody. "Good" is still to be determined but we'll see how it looks after the coffee and naproxen kicks in. Hombre and I have to go get passport photos taken today as our passports expire next month. We though they were expensive ten years ago. Much more so now. But you never know when you might need it.

This afternoon is our weekly 42 game and we're looking forward to that.

Temps back in the mid 70's today. We get the furnace shut down and the Master Cool turned on for the summer on Friday and none too soon.

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

stock-vector-cinco-de-mayo-vector-illustration-with-traditional-mexican-symbols-393268105.jpg

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

stock-vector-cinco-de-mayo-vector-illustration-with-traditional-mexican-symbols-393268105.jpg
I was watching the early news this morning and wouldn't you think the largest Cinco de Mayo celebrations would be in places like L.A. or San Antonio or El Paso? Nope. The biggest one in the country is in Denver of all places.

Fiesta en, Colorado!

Not much of a party day, here--gray, drizzling and 47 degrees. But I got my hours increased today! More tacos in my future.

Well assuming that's a good thing--the hours increased I mean as more tacos is always a good thing--congratulations. I know a lot of folks around here, as well as in the Coffee Shop, who would appreciate more opportunity to earn more tacos too.

Morning iam and everybody. "Good" is still to be determined but we'll see how it looks after the coffee and naproxen kicks in. Hombre and I have to go get passport photos taken today as our passports expire next month. We though they were expensive ten years ago. Much more so now. But you never know when you might need it.

This afternoon is our weekly 42 game and we're looking forward to that.

Temps back in the mid 70's today. We get the furnace shut down and the Master Cool turned on for the summer on Friday and none too soon.

I've never had a passport. Hell, I've never been off of the east coast. :)

Fiesta en, Colorado!

Not much of a party day, here--gray, drizzling and 47 degrees. But I got my hours increased today! More tacos in my future.

Well assuming that's a good thing--the hours increased I mean as more tacos is always a good thing--congratulations. I know a lot of folks around here, as well as in the Coffee Shop, who would appreciate more opportunity to earn more tacos too.
Oh, yes, it's a very good thing! Thanks!

Forum List

Back