USMB Coffee Shop IV

Landlord is here finally. He is late. He was supposed to be here at 9 AM. :rolleyes-41: He is so annoying. Hopefully he finishes and leaves soon. He is actually not the real landlord. He is the landlord's son.

Landlord is here finally. He is late. He was supposed to be here at 9 AM. :rolleyes-41: He is so annoying. Hopefully he finishes and leaves soon. He is actually not the real landlord. He is the landlord's son.

I can relate. I need to run some errands but need to be here when the tree man comes and he just called and said they're running late. He may have to just leave us a bill instead of getting paid today.

I can relate. I need to run some errands but need to be here when the tree man comes and he just called and said they're running late. He may have to just leave us a bill instead of getting paid today.

He's almost done, surprisingly! I thought it was going to take him all day! Things went smoothly and he didn't have to run in and out the whole time. :lol: He's just getting packed up to leave and is going to have to come back tomorrow to put the molding on. I'm going to have a nap now! :bye1: I'm exhausted.

Sometimes, I wish we had a landlord. There's a lot that needs fixing around here, and we have to do it.

In southern Indiana we really get the crappy side of seasons on both sides.
Even though we are far north of the Gulf, it is the main driver of the weather here. So in the summer it is plenty humid. Nothing to be 90 degrees with a dewpoint 70 or above. It's like hot soup.
Winters are wildly all over the place here. We will often get a 70 degree day in December...but within 24 hrs it could be in the teens with freezing rain.
The best time here is the fall, but it is painfully brief. We have legendary fall weather here, with people visiting parks here from all over the U.S. In September we can have low humidity, breezy 70 degree days down in the 50's at night for the entire month and into October. So we may only get 30-40 really nice weather days a year. :(
When I retire, I am absolutely moving elsewhere...just not sure where.

We have a terribly long winter season and a short but very hot and humid summer season here. I would like for our summers to be a bit longer and winters to be shorter though. Summer goes by very quickly.

It's been rainy and overcast this week so far. It's supposed to be rainy all week and into the weekend, at least that is the forecast now, but as Mark Twain said, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute. :D

And we have an interminable long summer while we are waiting desperately for cooler air to make it more pleasant to be outdoors. Winter is brief and relatively mild when we all would love a longer, much more snowy season to replenish our watersheds and lucrative winter sports. But we all choose to live where we are because the good outweighs the bad I suppose.

I have a room full of books, most of which I have not read. But there is nothing on TV today so I just read the last three chapters of ' brave new world' by Aldous Huxley. Now I am going to make a start on, 'The Satanic verses' by Salman Rushdie.

That is light reading by my standards as I have a fair sized collection of philosophy books.

One of my irrigation customers has a whole wall of bookshelves that remind me of a Frank Lloyd Wright style library. Really neat.

I made a start on Salman Rushdie's, 'satanic verses' I finished chapter one today. But it was a bit of a struggle to concentrate because it changes the subject a lot and goes off in a digression of different characters. But I dare say it all comes together in the end. I have not yet read anything worthy of a fatwa though.

Something strange and inexplicable is happening to me. My mattress is vibrating in the middle of the night.
I cannot understand why. It has been happening on and off for weeks, and I have no idea what's causing it.

I speculated that there may be insects or snakes wriggling around inside it, but that does not seem likely as it is solid foam, and I have had it for years. I would have seen more signs of life if there were anything inside it.

I thought at first it might be the whole floor vibrating because of a neighbours washing machine, but the other flats are below and above me, so they are not connected to my floor boards. I thought maybe the whole house is shaking from some local machinery, but it takes place in the middle of the night and I hear no noise.

I have yet to get out of bed and investigate further, and I just try and sleep and ignore it. But I wonder what on earth it can be.

Sometimes, I wish we had a landlord. There's a lot that needs fixing around here, and we have to do it.

I have been in a rented flat for 22 years, and I am so entrenched I live in fear of getting evicted, because I would not be able to cope with it. But I get on well with my landlords, and they have been prompt in fixing things when I ring them.
They purchased the house with me as a sitting tenant and that freaked me out because I was paying low rent. I know they wanted to get rid of me to get more rent. But they have put the rent up three times in the last five years, and I think they still want more money.

Something strange and inexplicable is happening to me. My mattress is vibrating in the middle of the night.
I cannot understand why. It has been happening on and off for weeks, and I have no idea what's causing it.

I speculated that there may be insects or snakes wriggling around inside it, but that does not seem likely as it is solid foam, and I have had it for years. I would have seen more signs of life if there were anything inside it.

I thought at first it might be the whole floor vibrating because of a neighbours washing machine, but the other flats are below and above me, so they are not connected to my floor boards. I thought maybe the whole house is shaking from some local machinery, but it takes place in the middle of the night and I hear no noise.

I have yet to get out of bed and investigate further, and I just try and sleep and ignore it. But I wonder what on earth it can be.

I would say you have yourself a winner there sir. Years ago Hotels and Motels used to have vibrating machines hooked up to their beds and charged a quarter for pre-determined mount of time. Roll over and enjoy 'ole Chap'. :biggrin:

Last edited:
In southern Indiana we really get the crappy side of seasons on both sides.
Even though we are far north of the Gulf, it is the main driver of the weather here. So in the summer it is plenty humid. Nothing to be 90 degrees with a dewpoint 70 or above. It's like hot soup.
Winters are wildly all over the place here. We will often get a 70 degree day in December...but within 24 hrs it could be in the teens with freezing rain.
The best time here is the fall, but it is painfully brief. We have legendary fall weather here, with people visiting parks here from all over the U.S. In September we can have low humidity, breezy 70 degree days down in the 50's at night for the entire month and into October. So we may only get 30-40 really nice weather days a year. :(
When I retire, I am absolutely moving elsewhere...just not sure where.

We have a terribly long winter season and a short but very hot and humid summer season here. I would like for our summers to be a bit longer and winters to be shorter though. Summer goes by very quickly.

It's been rainy and overcast this week so far. It's supposed to be rainy all week and into the weekend, at least that is the forecast now, but as Mark Twain said, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute. :D

And we have an interminable long summer while we are waiting desperately for cooler air to make it more pleasant to be outdoors. Winter is brief and relatively mild when we all would love a longer, much more snowy season to replenish our watersheds and lucrative winter sports. But we all choose to live where we are because the good outweighs the bad I suppose.

That's what you think. Lol. Until you are freezing your butt off every day! :D Winter is a drag.

One of the perks of being a renter, I suppose. There are a lot of negative things about renting too though.

I have been in a rented flat for 22 years, and I am so entrenched I live in fear of getting evicted, because I would not be able to cope with it. But I get on well with my landlords, and they have been prompt in fixing things when I ring them.
They purchased the house with me as a sitting tenant and that freaked me out because I was paying low rent. I know they wanted to get rid of me to get more rent. But they have put the rent up three times in the last five years, and I think they still want more money.

Definitely one of the down sides of renting. You end up paying a LOT more than a homeowner in the long run. Actually, my monthly rent runs higher than many people's mortgages! I don't need a big house though. I would like to rent a small cottage by the ocean (somewhere with a longer summer season than we get here though).

I think I might go shopping with my credit card on Friday. I was thinking of popping into a local camera shop that sells second hand cameras they take in part exchange, to see if they have any old Nikon 35 mm film cameras.
Since most people now use digital cameras I thought I might find a cheap Nikon. I already have a Pentax spotmatic.

Definitely one of the down sides of renting. You end up paying a LOT more than a homeowner in the long run. Actually, my monthly rent runs higher than many people's mortgages! I don't need a big house though. I would like to rent a small cottage by the ocean (somewhere with a longer summer season than we get here though).

Yea! I inherited money from an uncle about five years ago, and it is slowly draining away on rent. I did not inherit enough money to buy a flat. So I have no choice but to watch my money drain away.

Yea! I inherited money from an uncle about five years ago, and it is slowly draining away on rent. I did not inherit enough money to buy a flat. So I have no choice but to watch my money drain away.

I just work a lot. Sometimes overtime to pay the bills. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country. One of these days I'll get motivated enough to do some research and move out of this state.

I just work a lot. Sometimes overtime to pay the bills. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country. One of these days I'll get motivated enough to do some research and move out of this state.

I am retired on a state pension. It is not enough to live on, but when I am down to my last six thousand pounds savings, I will be able to claim council rent allowance to cover some of the rent.

I'm going to be asking my landlord to rip up the carpet and put in a regular floor (linoleum/tile - doesn't matter). I am sick and tired of having carpet in my eating area. I have a small kitchenette with a tile floor, but where my kitchen table goes, it's wall to wall carpeting. What a stupid idea that is! It is a pain in the butt if you spill anything on the floor! This rug is old anyways, time to either replace it or just rip it up and put in a floor which I would prefer. Also, my rabbit sometimes will have an "accident" on the carpet, and that is a pain to clean up too. It would make my life much easier to have a regular floor there.

I rented for 7 years after I got married. We started out paying $150/month in 1971 an by '78, were paying $440 in a different place. It was a 2 family house and when the landlord died, I bought the place. Mortgage and taxes were less than I was paying in rent, so I asked my first tenant $400/month and took her check to the bank, paid my mortgage and got $5 change.
The first 7 years I had $30,000 in rent receipts and the second 7 I had $400 cash and $40,000 in equity.

Forum List

Back