USMB Coffee Shop IV

I had a dream about painting last night and woke up thinking I might try and get back into it. So I spent the day looking through my large canvases to see if I could finish any of them. But I decided they are not worth bothering with, so I might get a tin of primer and white them out so I could start new paintings. They are an average of five feet wide and I don't have the energy to make stretcher frames and buy new canvas. So painting over them seems the best option.
I had this idea that I could paint large pictures and give them to hospitals, because we have a project of art in hospitals in England. I would not attempt to get them into art gallery's in the commercial world of art, but hospitals have lots of wall space, and they would be on public display.
Trouble is I seem to have run out of steam so I probably won't do it. But at least I am going to buy some primer and white some of them out, so I have blank canvases to start on if the mood takes me.
Interesting, Dajjall. I used to paint and sketch in my younger days. I actually sold quite a few commissioned paintings. I have considered going back to that lately. I was looking at sketch books a few weeks ago. Good luck, hope you find success and satisfaction.

Looks like we will be in Anchorage on May 30th, all day. What shall we do???
Excellent! That's a regular day off and no school, so I have all day. There's a zoo, or a more natural animal park. We might drive to Talkeetna for the views of Denali, if you haven't had that pleasure yet. Of course, weather can be a factor. What kind of things interest y'all?

Nothing too athletic, the views of Denali sound great. My husband votes for the zoo over the natural animal park.. I don't really care, just someplace I haven't been before and we have zoos here.
OK, zoo it is. You'll actually see more indigenous critters, just in a less natural setting. Dinner downtown in a decent restaurant. Let me know what kind of chow you all prefer. I was looking at a nice river raft trip. I took my parents on a nice half-day float years ago, and I had my arm in a cast then. It all depends on how much time you guys have.

I love growing fresh herbs. It's so nice to be able to go out back and just pick them, convenient too! :)

I rarely use all called for in a lot of recipes but there are a few that are absolutely necessary. Which do you grow?

I like to grow thyme (or rosemary - they taste similar to me), basil, sage, parsley. :) I did it a couple of summers ago. I'm thinking about doing it again this summer.
No 'see-lan-troe'... ?

Yes actually, forgot that one. Can't make salsa and pico de gallo without it!

It doesn't really have much flavor to me, so I don't use it often.
There's some kind of beetle up here, looks like a Japanese beetle, when you crush it, it smells just like cilantro. I have to confess, I've not made a taste test.

First Mobile Chicken Coop of the year complete:

13139184_1220840067946305_241169855170111687_n.jpg

6'Lx4'Wx3.5'H, loaded with 6 Americana chicks. They will start laying blue eggs next spring.

At ~90lbs, this wooden/metal coop is not nearly as light as I would like it to be, especially for its small size. When I build the grand coop for the 48 Americanas I plan to get, I will build the frame of the future 10'x30'x5' out of 1" PVC pipe.

Every day, we simply move the coop one length of itself over, so there's fresh grass, fresh bugs, and no chicken poop on the ground. This is how you make organic egg layers that will also be fat enough to eat. NO FEEDING COSTS, EVER! :)

And for those curious, this was made out of 100% scrap wood and tin. All I had to buy was a small roll of chicken wire. It's incredibly easy, and the ROI is fast.

13083353_1220840051279640_4305800871308864492_n.jpg

I have about a dozen free-range chickens that do all the bug eating in my yard for me. Their efficiency becomes very apparent when you go across the driveway to the lot my friends are renting from me, which is full of ticks.

We put the coop in their backyard to help with the problem until they finish getting their yard fenced off and some chickens of their own.

When I build the grand coop, it will go out in the pasture where the sheep graze. Hopefully, they'll no longer have to depend on the chickens hopping on their backs to pick off ticks (which IS highly entertaining, though).

Happy Saturday, folks.

I grew up with chickens and have farmer friends and relatives that make sure I've never really gotten out of touch with these interesting birds, and I never knew that they went after the ticks. Very interesting.

They're not as efficient as ginnea fowl, but they'll certainly get the job done! :)
Both are tough to over-winter here. I like both and I'm hoping to keep free-range chickens when I get settled in a permanent place.

Gallantwarrior...
If I have my facts straight, you live in Anchorage? If so I know this establishment is no longer in business, but do you remember the Fireweed Hotel? I stayed there for about 2 months back in '82'. Part of my worldly travels. I fell in love with Alaska. But alas my wife and 2 babies won out and I left after about 4 months.
It is on my bucket list to go back and gather up the rest of my heart one day. :)

First Mobile Chicken Coop of the year complete:

13139184_1220840067946305_241169855170111687_n.jpg

6'Lx4'Wx3.5'H, loaded with 6 Americana chicks. They will start laying blue eggs next spring.

At ~90lbs, this wooden/metal coop is not nearly as light as I would like it to be, especially for its small size. When I build the grand coop for the 48 Americanas I plan to get, I will build the frame of the future 10'x30'x5' out of 1" PVC pipe.

Every day, we simply move the coop one length of itself over, so there's fresh grass, fresh bugs, and no chicken poop on the ground. This is how you make organic egg layers that will also be fat enough to eat. NO FEEDING COSTS, EVER! :)

And for those curious, this was made out of 100% scrap wood and tin. All I had to buy was a small roll of chicken wire. It's incredibly easy, and the ROI is fast.

13083353_1220840051279640_4305800871308864492_n.jpg

I have about a dozen free-range chickens that do all the bug eating in my yard for me. Their efficiency becomes very apparent when you go across the driveway to the lot my friends are renting from me, which is full of ticks.

We put the coop in their backyard to help with the problem until they finish getting their yard fenced off and some chickens of their own.

When I build the grand coop, it will go out in the pasture where the sheep graze. Hopefully, they'll no longer have to depend on the chickens hopping on their backs to pick off ticks (which IS highly entertaining, though).

Happy Saturday, folks.

I grew up with chickens and have farmer friends and relatives that make sure I've never really gotten out of touch with these interesting birds, and I never knew that they went after the ticks. Very interesting.

They're not as efficient as ginnea fowl, but they'll certainly get the job done! :)
Both are tough to over-winter here. I like both and I'm hoping to keep free-range chickens when I get settled in a permanent place.

I think you'd definitely want a heat lamp in your coop during the winter. lol

Poker gods were kind last night. 4 of us split a $600 pot and I won the $20 best hand of the night. Pocket kings and the flop was king king ace.
I head in at 8 tonight and will likely get out of there 3 or 3:30 Tomorrow will be 4 PM til close.

I rarely use all called for in a lot of recipes but there are a few that are absolutely necessary. Which do you grow?

I like to grow thyme (or rosemary - they taste similar to me), basil, sage, parsley. :) I did it a couple of summers ago. I'm thinking about doing it again this summer.
No 'see-lan-troe'... ?

There's some kind of beetle up here, looks like a Japanese beetle, when you crush it, it smells just like cilantro. I have to confess, I've not made a taste test.
When I was stationed in Korea in 63-64 the women would pick lice out of one another's hair, crack it between their thumbnails and lick it off and swallow it. I never got a chance to smell mashed lice though.

No 'see-lan-troe'... ?

When I was stationed in Korea in 63-64 the women would pick lice out of one another's hair, crack it between their thumbnails and lick it off and swallow it. I never got a chance to smell mashed lice though.

Ewwww

No 'see-lan-troe'... ?

Ewwww
That goes on in many Oriental countries. It's just that Korean women were the ones I saw do it.You can hear that louse pop clear across the room.

Ewwww
That goes on in many Oriental countries. It's just that Korean women were the ones I saw do it.You can hear that louse pop clear across the room.

Double ewww. But yes, I do know customs vary from country to country. I'm sure some of ours are really gross tthem.

Ewwww

Double ewww. But yes, I do know customs vary from country to country. I'm sure some of ours are really gross tthem.
Free protein.

Forum List

Back