USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have been reading Salman Rushdie's ' the satanic verses' and am now on chapter 5 , but it is a hard read as it keeps changing the plot every chapter. Every chapter starts a whole new story line with new characters.

I have been making preparations to start a new painting, but I am too scared to make a mark on the blank canvas because a blank canvas has infinite potential. But when you make a mark on it you are committed to a course you cannot easily alter. I have started several abstract paintings without knowing what I was going to do and the result is usually a waste of canvas. There are three I am going to white out with primer, so that I can paint something better thought out.
My large canvases are five feet by four feet wide and they are expensive, so I do not want to mess another one up. So I am trying to prepare some drawings, so that I know what I am going to paint.

I have decided what to do with some of my money. I am going to buy gold coins. I should have done it years ago when I first got my inheritance because Gold has gone up several times the value it was then. But I can buy some now and keep them a few years, then sell them one at a time, when I run out of money.

Happy Mother's Day!

I met my brother and sister-in-law at the Big Hoise this morning and together we knocked off some items from Mom's honey do list. I planted two pots of coleas and a planter of herbs for her. Daisy frolicked on the lawn and then we went out for lunch. After that, we stopped at Pop's grave and tended the lawn at his stone.

Then off for a walk in the park where Daisy met some old dog buddies for a good run. Now it's laundry time.

I sure hope all the mother's had a wonderful day as you truly deserve it! Your children love you so.

Last edited:
I have decided what to do with some of my money. I am going to buy gold coins. I should have done it years ago when I first got my inheritance because Gold has gone up several times the value it was then. But I can buy some now and keep them a few years, then sell them one at a time, when I run out of money.
Just make sure you buy the coins from a company that sends you the coins and not one that holds the coins and sends you a receipt.

What a mother of a day......... :D

There you are! I hadn't seen a post of yours for a couple of days and was hoping you were doing something fun instead of having a problem. Did you get your tax issue taken care of?
Not yet, will do that tonight.
Saturday was another road trip up to Alamogordo, then home. Was busy with stuff around the house then made the mistake of taking my Metamucil and eating a bunch of carbs immediately afterwards........ That's a mistake I won't make again....... Pretty much was incapacitated the rest of the night.

There you are! I hadn't seen a post of yours for a couple of days and was hoping you were doing something fun instead of having a problem. Did you get your tax issue taken care of?
Saturday was another road trip up to Alamogordo, then home. Was busy with stuff around the house then made the mistake of taking my Metamucil and eating a bunch of carbs immediately afterwards........ That's a mistake I won't make again....... Pretty much was incapacitated the rest of the night.

Oh dear. I almost hit the 'funny' button and then thought that really would not be appropriate.

Oh dear. I almost hit the 'funny' button and then thought that really would not be appropriate.

I went ahead and hit the funny button. :p

I have a bunch of problems with my digestive system, I feel fine laughing at belly problems (when they aren't my own). :lol:

I have a bunch of problems with my digestive system, I feel fine laughing at belly problems (when they aren't my own). :lol:

Yeah, but you have this mean streak in an unmean sort of way.

It's okay, it wasn't funny at the time but the way I presented it was supposed to be funny....... :D
Metamucil is basically ground psyllium husks, add to water and swallow. In the stomach it expands to a gelatinous mass, carbs also have a tendency to expand in the stomach........ Mix the two and the result was a severely distended stomach causing a very uncomfortable stomach ache, very uncomfortable. Live and learn....... :lol:

Bring the wife and babies with. Regardless of what you plan, you would always be welcome to visit and I'd gladly roll out the proverbial red carpet.

Gallantwarrior thanks so much for your gracious offer. I have to admit that the bucketlist trip back to Alaska is more than likely a pipe dream. My beautiful bride and I have been divorced for 13 years, and my babies are in their late 30's with babies of their own. While they would probably like to make the trip, I don't think they could fit it into their schedule. Might be something nice for me and the ex to do though. We get along so well now, a lot better than the 23 years we were married.

I left the wife and babies in Hawaii (her home and family) and went to Alaska in '84' to get established. After securing employment, transportation and a place to change diapers she came up with the 2 kids.
She arrived wearing sandals in Anchorage in Oct. with about 10 inches a snow on the ground from Honolulu, Jake (25 months old) and Sara (13 months old) in tow. I had rented an old converted motel room on Spenard road out by the airport. Needless to say things went down hill from there. And to think we stayed married another 20 years. We left Anchorage after several heated discussions in Dec. and returned to Indiana (my Home base and family).

Sure did enjoy a few breakfast meals at the Hogg Brothers Café while I was there though. Went Salmon fishing down in Seward. Drove out to Willow as this was the choice of the great folks of Alaska at the time to move the State Capital to. Anchorage was such a boom town at the time with construction going on everywhere. I had secured a job with Big Three Lincoln of Alaska. A welding supply company.

Just one of my many " I wonder what would have happened" parts of my life.

Thanks again Gallantwarrior.
You are quite welcome. The Hogg Brothers moved to different digs quite a few years ago. The entire building became all of Coots. And, unfortunately, even Hogg Brothers is now the Alaska (Anchorage) Road House.
Alaska has always been a love-it-or-hate-it location. As long as you can stay active all year long, you'll love it. Otherwise, it's a "Spenard divorce"...

Well, we had some peeks of sunlight yesterday, then it clouded over again and today it's all cloudy again. :cry: I miss the sunlight!

This too shall pass Chris. Trust me. It may take hours, days, weeks, months. . . .(I'm kidding, I'm kidding). . .but it will pass.

It's a pretty safe bet you would be miserable in GW's Alaska though. And probably here though we have pretty close to 365 days of sunshine and plenty of warmth here, but it is a looooooooong way to any large body of water, let alone an ocean. And when you compare what you see when you look out your windows and the kind of terrain you see when you look out of winm dows here, well, it is an acquired taste and takes some getting used to.
I'm not so sure...it's been in the high 40s, low 50s here, plenty of light, too. And we have both Turnagain Arm and Cook Inlet for water. Look out your window here and all you see are postcards...

Well, we had some peeks of sunlight yesterday, then it clouded over again and today it's all cloudy again. :cry: I miss the sunlight!

This too shall pass Chris. Trust me. It may take hours, days, weeks, months. . . .(I'm kidding, I'm kidding). . .but it will pass.

It's a pretty safe bet you would be miserable in GW's Alaska though. And probably here though we have pretty close to 365 days of sunshine and plenty of warmth here, but it is a looooooooong way to any large body of water, let alone an ocean. And when you compare what you see when you look out your windows and the kind of terrain you see when you look out of windows here, well, it is an acquired taste and takes some getting used to.

It's supposed to be nice on Monday. :) I would never live in Alaska. Lol. I would visit but would never want to live there. Too cold for me!
Visit in May, then. It smells so wonderful, everything blooming an turning green. Green has an odor.

It's a pretty safe bet you would be miserable in GW's Alaska though. And probably here though we have pretty close to 365 days of sunshine and plenty of warmth here, but it is a looooooooong way to any large body of water, let alone an ocean. And when you compare what you see when you look out your windows and the kind of terrain you see when you look out of windows here, well, it is an acquired taste and takes some getting used to.

It's supposed to be nice on Monday. :) I would never live in Alaska. Lol. I would visit but would never want to live there. Too cold for me!
Visit in May, then. It smells so wonderful, everything blooming an turning green. Green has an odor.

One of these days maybe. I'll put it on my bucket list! :D

Morning !

Monday already.

funny-animal-pictures-81.jpg

It's okay, it wasn't funny at the time but the way I presented it was supposed to be funny....... :D
Metamucil is basically ground psyllium husks, add to water and swallow. In the stomach it expands to a gelatinous mass, carbs also have a tendency to expand in the stomach........ Mix the two and the result was a severely distended stomach causing a very uncomfortable stomach ache, very uncomfortable. Live and learn....... :lol:

I recommend the ground flax seed I add to my breakfast shake every morning. Loaded with all the omega fatty acids, especially Omega 3. And because it is extremely high fiber, it provides all the benefits of Metamucil without the unwanted side effects. Of course the Omega fatty acids boost health in general and have been proven to lower cholesterol and relieve symptoms of osteoarthritis, RA, and other autoimmune uglies.

I do recommend buying the whole seeds--you can get them pretty cheap on Amazon--and grinding what you will consume fresh just before consuming them for maximum health benefit. I just throw a couple of tablespoons of whole seeds into my coffee grinder and it fluffs them up in a hurry. Then the ground flaxseed can be mixed with cereal, oatmeal, or just about anything without altering the taste or texture. They have a very faint nutty taste and they are sooooo good for folks.

And like with any other high fiber product, it is important to drink plenty of water.

Forum List

Back