USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Friday all !

I hope you all have a good weekend.

My Mom's funeral on Monday was beautiful.
The flowers around her urn are mine (purple was her favorite color) and the ones hanging on the wire is from my cousin.
The two one either side are the ones from the children and grandchildren of her 2nd marriage.

View attachment 73952

Welcome back Peach and I know all our thoughts were with you this week. Not easy to say the final goodbye, but there is something uplifting about a celebration of a life too. And the flowers are beautiful.

Definitely one of the down sides of renting. You end up paying a LOT more than a homeowner in the long run. Actually, my monthly rent runs higher than many people's mortgages! I don't need a big house though. I would like to rent a small cottage by the ocean (somewhere with a longer summer season than we get here though).

Yea! I inherited money from an uncle about five years ago, and it is slowly draining away on rent. I did not inherit enough money to buy a flat. So I have no choice but to watch my money drain away.

I just work a lot. Sometimes overtime to pay the bills. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country. One of these days I'll get motivated enough to do some research and move out of this state.

Move down to GA and in 2-3 years, when I have to leave this nanny gig, I'll be your roomie! :lol:

Or you could move to California. But you will have to put up with Gracie's fur friends. :)

Well, she did say she already lives in an expensive state. I think Cali fits in that category. :p

I don't want to move from one expensive state to another, although California is beautiful. :) I would definitely want to stay on one of the coasts, because I would miss the ocean if I moved inland.

Gulf Coast is your answer then, Chris. 9 or 10 month beach season and a pretty low cost of living. You can buy a great house for under $100,000 and pay $300/year property tax. My January heating bill was $110 and in August last year my electric bill was $140.

So much for buying a cheap second hand Nikon 35mm film camera. The only one they had was £450, and I can buy the latest, brand new digital Nikon with an extra telephoto lens for under £400. I thought the old second hand film cameras would be cheap, but they ain't. I can afford the camera, but I don't think its worth it .
Especially as I don't really need a camera because I already have a Pentax.

The trouble is I don't need anything, as I brought everything I wanted when I first got my inheritance. I brought a foam mattress, a 3d Television, and a new computer.

The only things I might want to buy are antiquarian books, and two book shops in the town that dealt with old books have both closed. I Guess I will have to look further afield to other towns.

Gulf Coast is your answer then, Chris. 9 or 10 month beach season and a pretty low cost of living. You can buy a great house for under $100,000 and pay $300/year property tax. My January heating bill was $110 and in August last year my electric bill was $140.

Oh, I'm not looking to own a home though. Too much responsibility and $$. I've had a lot of work done in my apartment recently (bathroom redone, new sliding glass door, and I'm also getting a new floor in my downstairs half bath and kitchen), and I wouldn't have been able to afford to do that. Thanks to my landlord. :D

So much for buying a cheap second hand Nikon 35mm film camera. The only one they had was £450, and I can buy the latest, brand new digital Nikon with an extra telephoto lens for under £400. I thought the old second hand film cameras would be cheap, but they ain't. I can afford the camera, but I don't think its worth it .
Especially as I don't really need a camera because I already have a Pentax.

The trouble is I don't need anything, as I brought everything I wanted when I first got my inheritance. I brought a foam mattress, a 3d Television, and a new computer.

The only things I might want to buy are antiquarian books, and two book shops in the town that dealt with old books have both closed. I Guess I will have to look further afield to other towns.

Go look in your local pawn shops. You would be surprised some of the things you can find there for cheap, cheap! :)

I got an antiquarian book from my uncles estate. To be candid I stole it from my relatives without asking. In theory they are entitled to a share of the sale of the book, but now they will have to wait until I die to get it.
Its called 'the practice of perspective' and its dated MDLCCXLIX (does anyone know what date that is?)

I looked up the book on the internet several years ago, and there was a copy on sale for 2000 dollars
But to be fair to me I did not know it was valuable when I took it. I just wanted it because it is very informative about the rules of perspective, and it shows you things like, how to draw a vault in perspective.
Just what I need for my gothic style paintings.

ChyaiMzWkAAZ-ua.jpg

Can you believe it, there is not even one antiquarian bookshop listed in the yellow pages for the entire county.
I suppose its time I paid a visit to London, and walked up Shaftsbury avenue. I am bound to find something there.

Ernie is going to have the entire Coffee Shop moving to the gulf coast. :)

Bring the wife and babies with. Regardless of what you plan, you would always be welcome to visit and I'd gladly roll out the proverbial red carpet.

Gallantwarrior thanks so much for your gracious offer. I have to admit that the bucketlist trip back to Alaska is more than likely a pipe dream. My beautiful bride and I have been divorced for 13 years, and my babies are in their late 30's with babies of their own. While they would probably like to make the trip, I don't think they could fit it into their schedule. Might be something nice for me and the ex to do though. We get along so well now, a lot better than the 23 years we were married.

I left the wife and babies in Hawaii (her home and family) and went to Alaska in '84' to get established. After securing employment, transportation and a place to change diapers she came up with the 2 kids.
She arrived wearing sandals in Anchorage in Oct. with about 10 inches a snow on the ground from Honolulu, Jake (25 months old) and Sara (13 months old) in tow. I had rented an old converted motel room on Spenard road out by the airport. Needless to say things went down hill from there. And to think we stayed married another 20 years. We left Anchorage after several heated discussions in Dec. and returned to Indiana (my Home base and family).

Sure did enjoy a few breakfast meals at the Hogg Brothers Café while I was there though. Went Salmon fishing down in Seward. Drove out to Willow as this was the choice of the great folks of Alaska at the time to move the State Capital to. Anchorage was such a boom town at the time with construction going on everywhere. I had secured a job with Big Three Lincoln of Alaska. A welding supply company.

Just one of my many " I wonder what would have happened" parts of my life.

Thanks again Gallantwarrior.

Today has been frustrating to say the least. Yesterday receive a note from the IRS that our tax return was missing a form 8962, Premium Tax Credit the at tax software apparently missed when I filed. Okay, download the pdf, print it out (with the instructions) then proceed to spend all morning trying (unsuccessfully so far) to convert it to plain understandable English.......... I have 20 days from the date on the letter to reply........ Not happy.

Forum List

Back