USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hope everyone has a peaceful Memorial Day.

memorialday_zps78a45893.jpg

The only things that got damaged are my Tiki torches. :( They are destroyed. Bummer. Amazingly my bird feeder is still standing. Lol.

Your renter's insurance should cover the torches, but probably your deductible would be more than they cost? I've never had a Tiki torch. I am not sure what they are.

The only things that got damaged are my Tiki torches. :( They are destroyed. Bummer. Amazingly my bird feeder is still standing. Lol.

Your renter's insurance should cover the torches, but probably your deductible would be more than they cost? I've never had a Tiki torch. I am not sure what they are.

Mine were metal and the inserts were frosted glass. I hadn't put the inserts in yet, so I still have those, but the metal poles are destroyed. They are bent and mangled. Actually, I can only see one of them. I have two and I can't even find the other one. Lol. That tree limb on my patio is gigantic. I can't even get by it.

e59a5703ffc959f564d4be81928da676.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't bother. They are not insured. Lol. I'll just have to get some new ones, I suppose. I'm just glad it didn't destroy my outdoor furniture or my grill. Then I would be pissed! :D

So I am the East Oaklandtown car wash - and there are two FBI Wifi hotspots showing up in my wifi menu.... Hmmmm should I try????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) So tempting. My son, who has a special sense of humor, was setting up our home Wi-Fi system. When it came time to give it a name, he suggested I call it CIA Special Unit. (We didn't do that.)

I resisted temptation. Considering the neighborhood the car wash is in, it's highly likely the wifis are real FBI ones. It's so reassuring to know that the car wash is under surveillance!

So even though it was 50's and drizzling yesterday and we ate inside and I wore a winter sweater, I had my first corn on the cob of the season. Yup. One of the true joys in life. LET THE SUMMER BEGIN!!!

Ahhh.... 82 degrees...nice breeze...relaxing on the back patio...sippin my own hoppy wheat ale....it's good to be alive.

It is indeed. Though it's 11 pm and I'm in my office sipping my nighttime melatonin thingee in advance of going to bed. A cricket is chirping outside the window and my office looks like a gigantic recycling bin exploded in the middle of it. Digging out desks, boxes of old papers, storage cabinets, all. It has turned out to be the biggest job of our get rid of all unnecessary stuff project.
Dang! The only time I've heard crickets here was when one intended as fish or snake food escaped and managed to hide behind some inconvenient piece of furniture.

Well if you ever come visiting again GW, we'll have to arrange for a bit of cricket listening. :)
Deal! Until then, I'll just have to go to the pet store and buy a couple feeder crickets to turn loose in my place. They'll chirp for me until the cats find them.

Had two HUGE tree limbs (from an oak tree in the woods out back) break off last night. One JUST missed my house. :eek:

Pictures of my patio this morning. This is a huge limb (the size of an actual tree) right in front of my patio door.

View attachment 76432

Here is a view from my neighbor's yard (I had to go out the front door and walk around because I can't get past the tree.

View attachment 76433
Yikes! :ack-1:

Well, for the first time in a long time, I took the day off and spent it with some new/old friends. I picked up AgainSheila and Mr Sheila and managed to drag them a few miles up the road to a charming place, Talkeetna. We did a few touristy things, visited a museum, and had (IMHO) a terrific lunch. I delivered them back to the shuttle to go back to their ship. Bon Voyage, Sheila and hubby. I had a wonderful day!

Well, for the first time in a long time, I took the day off and spent it with some new/old friends. I picked up AgainSheila and Mr Sheila and managed to drag them a few miles up the road to a charming place, Talkeetna. We did a few touristy things, visited a museum, and had (IMHO) a terrific lunch. I delivered them back to the shuttle to go back to their ship. Bon Voyage, Sheila and hubby. I had a wonderful day!

It sounds like a wonderful day. Was it clear enough for that great view of Denali? One day I would like to meet you all.

But for now I was up before 7 a.m. This mini dachshund that has taken up temporary residence here has completely altered our normal living patterns around here. She goes home Wednesday for awhile longer until her human companion has to return to Salt Lake for first a heart pump that she will have until a heart is available for a transplant. That could be a matter of days or a few weeks and she will stay there after that surgery for monitoring for up to six months.

Six months with the mini dachshund will likely change our lives.

Had two HUGE tree limbs (from an oak tree in the woods out back) break off last night. One JUST missed my house. :eek:

Pictures of my patio this morning. This is a huge limb (the size of an actual tree) right in front of my patio door.

View attachment 76432

Here is a view from my neighbor's yard (I had to go out the front door and walk around because I can't get past the tree.

View attachment 76433

I know. That was pretty close! Lol.

It sounds like a wonderful day. Was it clear enough for that great view of Denali? One day I would like to meet you all.

But for now I was up before 7 a.m. This mini dachshund that has taken up temporary residence here has completely altered our normal living patterns around here. She goes home Wednesday for awhile longer until her human companion has to return to Salt Lake for first a heart pump that she will have until a heart is available for a transplant. That could be a matter of days or a few weeks and she will stay there after that surgery for monitoring for up to six months.

Six months with the mini dachshund will likely change our lives.
Denali was unfortunately obscured mostly, most of the day. We stopped at the overlook just outside Talkeetna as we were leaving town and were able to glimpse the summit. There was a remarkable 3D miniature display of Denali and its fellows at the climbing museum. As some may know, while Talkeetna started life as a supply station for miners and trappers, it is now world famous as the staging point for anyone wishing to make that climb. Sheila was "mildly insulted":funnyface: (not really, but it was funny) that one of the acceptable "training" climbs for Denali was Mt Rainer...in the winter. For all you adventure enthusiasts, you can't just get out of bed on day and think, I'm going to ascend Denali this summer, it is on my bucket list. Well, not unless you bucket list includes lots of rigorous previous experience.
Foxy, I was never a fan of those little "kick dogs" until my daughter got a mini-doxie for Christmas one year :)oops:guilty as charged). Of course, our doxie grew up with a Bullmastiff, and her friends have been a series of Rottweilers and a Bouvier. She's never known she wasn't a BIG dog, and she's always been a non-barker. Unfortunately, Dachshunds of all stripes, the ones I've been acquainted with, are Olympic class barkers. I hope the one you are caring for is as sweet and loving as the one my daughter left behind, certainly.

View attachment 76432

View attachment 76433

We had to cut down several birch trees around our cabin a couple of years ago because birch will tend to start leaning when burdened with snow. If we had let them fall naturally, they would probably have damaged the place. After that fire last summer, I studied up on "fire proofing" a remote place and understand that I have to take out pretty much all fuels for a certain radius around any structure I want to protect. I do wonder what made that oak shed branches like that, and suspect you are right that it will die shortly. I would definitely hound the landlord to get it removed, maybe a new sapling can be planted to replace it?

View attachment 76432

View attachment 76433

We had to cut down several birch trees around our cabin a couple of years ago because birch will tend to start leaning when burdened with snow. If we had let them fall naturally, they would probably have damaged the place. After that fire last summer, I studied up on "fire proofing" a remote place and understand that I have to take out pretty much all fuels for a certain radius around any structure I want to protect. I do wonder what made that oak shed branches like that, and suspect you are right that it will die shortly. I would definitely hound the landlord to get it removed, maybe a new sapling can be planted to replace it?

Oh, there are tons of trees out there. With the huge limbs gone, we are getting a lot more sun on the patio than usual today! One good thing about it is that there will be a lot less caterpillar poop! :lol:

Forum List

Back