USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, for the first time in a long time, I took the day off and spent it with some new/old friends. I picked up AgainSheila and Mr Sheila and managed to drag them a few miles up the road to a charming place, Talkeetna. We did a few touristy things, visited a museum, and had (IMHO) a terrific lunch. I delivered them back to the shuttle to go back to their ship. Bon Voyage, Sheila and hubby. I had a wonderful day!

It sounds like a wonderful day. Was it clear enough for that great view of Denali? One day I would like to meet you all.

But for now I was up before 7 a.m. This mini dachshund that has taken up temporary residence here has completely altered our normal living patterns around here. She goes home Wednesday for awhile longer until her human companion has to return to Salt Lake for first a heart pump that she will have until a heart is available for a transplant. That could be a matter of days or a few weeks and she will stay there after that surgery for monitoring for up to six months.

Six months with the mini dachshund will likely change our lives.
Denali was unfortunately obscured mostly, most of the day. We stopped at the overlook just outside Talkeetna as we were leaving town and were able to glimpse the summit. There was a remarkable 3D miniature display of Denali and its fellows at the climbing museum. As some may know, while Talkeetna started life as a supply station for miners and trappers, it is now world famous as the staging point for anyone wishing to make that climb. Sheila was "mildly insulted":funnyface: (not really, but it was funny) that one of the acceptable "training" climbs for Denali was Mt Rainer...in the winter. For all you adventure enthusiasts, you can't just get out of bed on day and think, I'm going to ascend Denali this summer, it is on my bucket list. Well, not unless you bucket list includes lots of rigorous previous experience.
Foxy, I was never a fan of those little "kick dogs" until my daughter got a mini-doxie for Christmas one year :)oops:guilty as charged). Of course, our doxie grew up with a Bullmastiff, and her friends have been a series of Rottweilers and a Bouvier. She's never known she wasn't a BIG dog, and she's always been a non-barker. Unfortunately, Dachshunds of all stripes, the ones I've been acquainted with, are Olympic class barkers. I hope the one you are caring for is as sweet and loving as the one my daughter left behind, certainly.

She is a sweet mini doxie for sure and like you said, she has no clue that she isn't as big as the 2 oversized Dobermans and the pitt bull next door. So after she charged the fence and they charged the fence and almost came crashing through it, the guys next door reinforced the fence on their side. No clue if they would actually hurt her but I wasn't going to take that chance. And yes, she barks at any ususual sound outside or inside for that matter, and anytime any of the other dogs in the neighborhood barks, at the neighbors peacocks etc. etc .etc.

Well, for the first time in a long time, I took the day off and spent it with some new/old friends. I picked up AgainSheila and Mr Sheila and managed to drag them a few miles up the road to a charming place, Talkeetna. We did a few touristy things, visited a museum, and had (IMHO) a terrific lunch. I delivered them back to the shuttle to go back to their ship. Bon Voyage, Sheila and hubby. I had a wonderful day!

It sounds like a wonderful day. Was it clear enough for that great view of Denali? One day I would like to meet you all.

But for now I was up before 7 a.m. This mini dachshund that has taken up temporary residence here has completely altered our normal living patterns around here. She goes home Wednesday for awhile longer until her human companion has to return to Salt Lake for first a heart pump that she will have until a heart is available for a transplant. That could be a matter of days or a few weeks and she will stay there after that surgery for monitoring for up to six months.

Six months with the mini dachshund will likely change our lives.
Denali was unfortunately obscured mostly, most of the day. We stopped at the overlook just outside Talkeetna as we were leaving town and were able to glimpse the summit. There was a remarkable 3D miniature display of Denali and its fellows at the climbing museum. As some may know, while Talkeetna started life as a supply station for miners and trappers, it is now world famous as the staging point for anyone wishing to make that climb. Sheila was "mildly insulted":funnyface: (not really, but it was funny) that one of the acceptable "training" climbs for Denali was Mt Rainer...in the winter. For all you adventure enthusiasts, you can't just get out of bed on day and think, I'm going to ascend Denali this summer, it is on my bucket list. Well, not unless you bucket list includes lots of rigorous previous experience.
Foxy, I was never a fan of those little "kick dogs" until my daughter got a mini-doxie for Christmas one year :)oops:guilty as charged). Of course, our doxie grew up with a Bullmastiff, and her friends have been a series of Rottweilers and a Bouvier. She's never known she wasn't a BIG dog, and she's always been a non-barker. Unfortunately, Dachshunds of all stripes, the ones I've been acquainted with, are Olympic class barkers. I hope the one you are caring for is as sweet and loving as the one my daughter left behind, certainly.

She is a sweet mini doxie for sure and like you said, she has no clue that she isn't as big as the 2 oversized Dobermans and the pitt bull next door. So after she charged the fence and they charged the fence and almost came crashing through it, the guys next door reinforced the fence on their side. No clue if they would actually hurt her but I wasn't going to take that chance. And yes, she barks at any ususual sound outside or inside for that matter, and anytime any of the other dogs in the neighborhood barks, at the neighbors peacocks etc. etc .etc.

That's funny! Little dogs always think they are big and tough, and big dogs think they are little babies and try to sit in your lap and crush you. :lol:

Had two HUGE tree limbs (from an oak tree in the woods out back) break off last night. One JUST missed my house. :eek:

Pictures of my patio this morning. This is a huge limb (the size of an actual tree) right in front of my patio door.

View attachment 76432

Here is a view from my neighbor's yard (I had to go out the front door and walk around because I can't get past the tree.

View attachment 76433
Yikes! :ack-1:

I know. That was pretty close! Lol.
We had to cut down several birch trees around our cabin a couple of years ago because birch will tend to start leaning when burdened with snow. If we had let them fall naturally, they would probably have damaged the place. After that fire last summer, I studied up on "fire proofing" a remote place and understand that I have to take out pretty much all fuels for a certain radius around any structure I want to protect. I do wonder what made that oak shed branches like that, and suspect you are right that it will die shortly. I would definitely hound the landlord to get it removed, maybe a new sapling can be planted to replace it?

Oh, there are tons of trees out there. With the huge limbs gone, we are getting a lot more sun on the patio than usual today! One good thing about it is that there will be a lot less caterpillar poop! :lol:
Excellent! When given lemons, make lemonade. Maybe not such a loss (of the tree), and a lucky escape for your home.

Oh, there are tons of trees out there. With the huge limbs gone, we are getting a lot more sun on the patio than usual today! One good thing about it is that there will be a lot less caterpillar poop! :lol:

15polyphemus.jpg

When you realize even caterpillars are giving us crap....

Fox spotting is a bust. I actually woke up at 4.30 am yesterday and looked out of the window until 6am. All I saw was a cat being chased by an adult fox, and one cub ran out of its burrow to see the adult fox, but the adult ran off and the cub went back into its burrow. I then waited by the window from 8pm to 10 pm when it got too dark to see and saw no foxes. Nor have I seen any today. I think both parent foxes have abandoned the cubs and the cubs are staying in their lair waiting for food to be delivered.

I saw on a nature program that fox cubs eat a lot of worms, but if the adults don't teach them to find worms how would they know. I am worried the cubs are too young or scared to come out without the adults

15polyphemus.jpg

When you realize even caterpillars are giving us crap....

I read that the cereal Cocoa Puffs is actually an idea that came up because of rabbit poop. That's why the mascot is a cwazy wabbit, and the cocoa puffs are his poops. :lol:

I saw on a nature program that fox cubs eat a lot of worms, but if the adults don't teach them to find worms how would they know. I am worried the cubs are too young or scared to come out without the adults

Dajjal while it shows your compassion for these critters, ole Mother Nature blesses the wild ones with an innate sense of survival. You have been fortunate to have shared this part of the Fox Family journeys. :D

It seems I picked up something from this weekends birthday fun. I was sniffly yesterday, then last night I woke up a couple of times having to scoot to the bathroom before my faucet of a nose ran down my face. Today I've been feeling like crap, sniffly and congested, aches and pains, just generally bad with not much energy. I'm trying to make sure to drink enough and I just took some ibuprofin because I've been getting chills as though I may have a fever.

With all the people that were in and out of the house and how little I leave the house myself, limiting my exposure to these kinds of things, it's not really surprising I'd pick up a sickness of some sort. It does suck a lot, though. I'm pretty bad about being sick. :p

Fox spotting is a bust. I actually woke up at 4.30 am yesterday and looked out of the window until 6am. All I saw was a cat being chased by an adult fox, and one cub ran out of its burrow to see the adult fox, but the adult ran off and the cub went back into its burrow. I then waited by the window from 8pm to 10 pm when it got too dark to see and saw no foxes. Nor have I seen any today. I think both parent foxes have abandoned the cubs and the cubs are staying in their lair waiting for food to be delivered.

Is there an agency that takes care of orphaned wild animals that you can report this to?

It seems I picked up something from this weekends birthday fun. I was sniffly yesterday, then last night I woke up a couple of times having to scoot to the bathroom before my faucet of a nose ran down my face. Today I've been feeling like crap, sniffly and congested, aches and pains, just generally bad with not much energy. I'm trying to make sure to drink enough and I just took some ibuprofin because I've been getting chills as though I may have a fever.

With all the people that were in and out of the house and how little I leave the house myself, limiting my exposure to these kinds of things, it's not really surprising I'd pick up a sickness of some sort. It does suck a lot, though. I'm pretty bad about being sick. :p

None of us like it, but it happens Montro. Feel better soon.

Get well soon! :)

Memorial Day weekend is over and with that summer begins. I know a lot of folks will want to get away for a week or two this summer, but I traditionally take my vacation during Christmas time. There's just too much work to do in the summer to take time off.

But summer vacations are the stuff childhood memories are made of. In the summer of 1967 when everything in my world was the Space Race, Rock and Roll and what's new on TV, Mom and Pop and my brother and our dog Captain took to the open road and ventured east toward our Nation's Capitol and the suburbs of Baltimore to visit my Aunt Jean.

There was, of course the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but Pop believed in the string method of travel. Lay out a map, put a string on our hometown, extend that string to our destination and follow the routes, byways and highways that the string indicated as the shortest distance, a straight line.

This took us over the Allegheny Mountains southeast toward Chesapeake Bay. This method of navigation might serve others well, but cramming the family and their loving dog into a Volkswagen Beetle for a day's drive might have been more comfortable on routes that had more accommodating service stops.

The dog needed, and I mean needed to have its head out the window. There were too many sights and smells to satisfy Captain with a backseat ride. So my brother and I made the sacrifice and let Captain suck up all the fresh air he could while he salved us with a constant stream of slobber.

We got to Aunt Jean's house outside Baltimore and were treated to a brown paper bag of freshly steamed blue crabs.
The seafood we were used to was fish sticks. Bread encrusted, compressed fish bits frozen and sold with a Gorton's Fisherman on the box to lend some credibility. But these were actual crabs with legs and claws and gill like bits. We were initially intimidated, but once we were taught how to eat them, we took care of them in no time flat.

Next stop: Washington D.C.

We took in all the free sites; Lincoln Memorial, The Smithsonian Institute and finally Mount Vernon. We were developing a taste for seafood by now and sought out an all you can eat restaurant.

Here's a tip: vacationing with kids? Feed them something they have never had! It's probably the one memory they'll hold on to.

Last edited:
I was up at 6:30 again for another court date and for a second time, nothing got done. My attorney is the DA for the small town just east of here and had to handle an emergency commitment hearing here in Foley while I was cooling my heels in Bay Minette, 42 miles north of here. It seems that committing someone who thinks they are sane and rational and insists on representing themselves is a time consuming process.
Next date, 7/8
Got the late shift tonight, so I'll be up til 4 AM or so. Let's see... Yesterday morning, I was up about 9 AM. I opened up and stayed for poker til 10PM and came home, laid down and stared at the ceiling until 5 AM. If my brain is still working that works out to43 hours on 1.5 hours of sleep.
And you people wonder why I keep saying that 2 1/2 years ago I was retired but now I'm just tired.

Forum List

Back