USMB Coffee Shop IV

As I've stated numerous times my weakness is potato chips, they're my comfort food, I try to limit myself to one 10 lb bag a month. :D Used to eat a whole 2 lb bag in one sitting when I was a teenager.
I have fortunately managed to divorce myself from chips, potato or otherwise.

Omigawd. Tortilla chips (real tortilla chips, not Doritos) and Guac are DIVINE!
No argument, but I do have to pay attention to my dietary intake. Plus...just about anything 'corn' includes GMO corn in this country, especially. I try my best to avoid GMO trash.

GMO doesn't bother me. Most cultivated plants we eat were genetically engineered (although in lower tech ways).

Tortilla chips are a treat. I find if I weigh myself everyday and generally eat healthy and in moderation, that I can splurge without gaining weight. The main thing is not to make splurges The Lifestyle.
GMO (using modern definitions) should bother you, very, very much.

It doesn't. I'm more concerned about nutritional value, cleanliness and taste.

And things like Golden Rice are modern day miracles:

Golden rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wha...wha...what? Got the recipe? I make my own mayonnaise, so it might be worth the try.

GW the recipe is located at post USMB Coffee Shop IV
This is not my mothers recipe as my daughter has all of her recipes and it was easier to C & P from the interweb. I am quite sure its the same though. If you do make it, let me know what you think.

Warning: I've had a LOT of problems posting here lately.
I took Old Lady Cat (21+ yrs) to the vet to check out the "cyst" diagnosed last Nov. The doc determined she probably had a mast cell tumor (waiting for biopsy results) and that since it was ulcerated and in bad shape, should be immediately removed. OK, go for it. $800 later, OLC hates me and is sporting some impressive future scars. That bill was a trailer loaded with hay for about 24 hungry bellies. I sure hope OLC survives her surgery and lasts a few more comforting/companionable years...at least.
On another front, we approach the 4th of July, often celebrated by brainless, ignorant morons who launch any quantity of fire-starters. I'm sending the partner up to the Willow place to at least take license plate information of those inclined to such "recreational" incendiary practices. At least it's been rainy and more rain predicted for the weekend. When you pay for your home "out-of-pocket", it's tough to consider it might all be destroyed by one inconsiderate, ignorant celebrant.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, BBD, Spoonman, 007, BigBlackDog, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Sunset over Anchorage Ak

e316f5d0c3b83a8853be6c6ec574c08c.jpg

Great pic Foxy. I used to live there...and remember seeing the mountains surrounding.

Great pic Foxy. I used to live there...and remember seeing the mountains surrounding

Morning everyone :bye1::coffee:

Kat while I don't classify myself as living there, I spent a little over 3 months in Anchorage myself. I wish I would have never left, but you know how that goes...

Great pic Foxy. I used to live there...and remember seeing the mountains surrounding

Morning everyone :bye1::coffee:

Kat while I don't classify myself as living there, I spent a little over 3 months in Anchorage myself. I wish I would have never left, but you know how that goes...

Kind of like us and West Virginia. Spent four months there one summer. And to me that qualifies as one of the places we have lived. :)

But speaking of mountains surrounding, it is hard to beat Juneau.

Juneau-Gastineau-Channel-c-Laurent-Dick-Wild-Alaska-Travel.jpg

I really don't have that much of a sweat tooth. I like bittersweet chocolate and fruit that is tart.

I prefer dark bittersweet also.
I have a definite weakness for a good cheesecake though. And cake doughnuts. And good pie. I think I will place an internet order for one of Ringels...cause I never bake. I can cook just about anything, but never baked.

Cheesecake is one of my special desserts. I have a fabulous old family recipe. It's not overly sweet, either - the cheese makes it a tad savory. It also has a sour cream layer.

I hope I never happen to find myself relying on you for dessert! :lol:

I don't eat cheesecake at all. Yuck. I'm not a fan of cheese most of the time with dinner, certainly not as part of dessert. I also don't like sour cream.

And while I'm talking about putting non-dessert foods into dessert, what's with carrot cake? Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good cake by making it with carrots? I like carrots as a snack, or in salad, but cake? :p
Too bad. Both cheesecake (made with homemade cream cheese here) and carrot cake are absolutely delicious. I have people who request my carrot cake!
I add cream cheese to my carrot cake and then slather on a half inch of sour cream frosting that I make with a tablespoon of mayonnaise.

I really don't have that much of a sweat tooth. I like bittersweet chocolate and fruit that is tart.

I have a definite weakness for a good cheesecake though. And cake doughnuts. And good pie. I think I will place an internet order for one of Ringels...cause I never bake. I can cook just about anything, but never baked.

Cheesecake is one of my special desserts. I have a fabulous old family recipe. It's not overly sweet, either - the cheese makes it a tad savory. It also has a sour cream layer.

I don't eat cheesecake at all. Yuck. I'm not a fan of cheese most of the time with dinner, certainly not as part of dessert. I also don't like sour cream.

And while I'm talking about putting non-dessert foods into dessert, what's with carrot cake? Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good cake by making it with carrots? I like carrots as a snack, or in salad, but cake? :p
Too bad. Both cheesecake (made with homemade cream cheese here) and carrot cake are absolutely delicious. I have people who request my carrot cake!
I add cream cheese to my carrot cake and then slather on a half inch of sour cream frosting that I make with a tablespoon of mayonnaise.

Only cream cheese, sour cream and mayo? Why no Whipped Cream?

Only cream cheese, sour cream and mayo? Why no Whipped Cream?
I was tweaking Montrovant, but I love me some real live, home made whipped cream.

*throws up in mouth a little*

:lol:

I just got back a little while ago from taking something called the COMPASS test, it's a placement test for colleges. I'm trying to get into an online course from an in-state tech school. I did great until I got to the algebra, then I didn't remember how any of that shit gets done. :p
Took algebra 3 times (including college), aced it every time...... I couldn't do an algebraic equation today if my life depended on it. :lol:
Only class I ever failed in HS was Algebra. Later, I aced Trigonometry...and figured out Algebra at that point in time. Gotta have AG to work through Trig.

Algebra was always a mystery to me until I purchased a book on it that started out by saying. Algebra is very confusing because unknown numbers are represented by letters. I figured that is why I could never understand it.

I qualified as an electronics repair man without passing the algebra part of the exam. Because I got all the fractions and transposition of formulas correct. I could understand formulas because they were composed of letters that stood for something real like A for Amps and V for Volts.

Ernie, or anyone else who has ideas, I need to bring a punch (non alcoholic) to a place with no fridge and I don't have a big budget for ingredients. Is there a two to three ingredient punch that you can pour into pitchers without fuss that tastes pretty good?

You folks are just going to freak...

My favorite cake and yes my mother made for me was Mayonnaise cake.:biggrin:
Wha...wha...what? Got the recipe? I make my own mayonnaise, so it might be worth the try.

Is there anything you don't make? I'm going to take a bunch of that stuff you gave us to my sisters for the 4th and we're having a taste test. I'll bring one bottle of mead with us, that'll leave us with one bottle of mead left, I think I'm going to need the recipe....

I think of all of us, GW is the one most likely to survive if we are all forced to live off the land without benefit of computers, electricity, natural gas, etc.

Just noticed this and am going to have to research it. I do love cucumbers. . .

13339602_1226921387338672_7719660948443901992_n.jpg

Ernie, or anyone else who has ideas, I need to bring a punch (non alcoholic) to a place with no fridge and I don't have a big budget for ingredients. Is there a two to three ingredient punch that you can pour into pitchers without fuss that tastes pretty good?

This is my go to recipe for a very quick and easy (and cheap) punch for a crowd.

EASY AND VERY GOOD PUNCH
1 liter cheap strawberry pop
1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice
Mix together as you use it or make a big batch. Serve over ice. Serves about 20 people.
If you want a little extra pizzazz, drop in a small package of strawberry Jello.

Last edited:

This is my go to recipe for a very quick and easy (and cheap) punch for a crowd.

EASY AND VERY GOOD PUNCH
1 liter cheap strawberry pop
1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice
Mix together as you use it or make a big batch. Serve over ice. Serves about 20 people.
If you want a little extra pizzazz, drop in a package of strawberry Jello.

Hmmmm....really needs some Everclear, hun.

Forum List

Back